Male HQ

Video: Audience at Amei concert prevented from waving rainbow flags

Guest Roy Tan

Guest Roy Tan

On 8 July 2023, during Amei's concert at the Singapore Indoor Stadium, audience members were stopped from waving rainbow flags by security personnel. When SISTIC, the ticketing agency for the concert was queried, they replied:
"Hi there, we are reaching out from SISTIC Singapore regarding the incident that took place during A-Mei's concert in Singapore on 8 July 2023 at Singapore Indoor Stadium. We appreciate your concerns and would like to clarify our role as the ticketing agency in such situations.
SISTIC is the ticketing agency responsible for facilitating ticket sales and distribution for various events, including A-Mei's concert. However, it is important to note that specific rules and regulations regarding permissible items and conduct at the event are determined by the event organiser and the venue management. For A-Mei's concert, the event organiser had set certain guidelines, which were communicated to attendees in advance.
These guidelines included restrictions on certain items, such as noise makers (e.g., air horn, whistle), flags or placards with offensive slogans or advertisements, and fan boards exceeding the size of 21cm x 29.7cm (A4). However, it is ultimately at the discretion of the venue management to allow or disallow these items. Therefore, should you have any additional questions, kindly reach out to the venue for further information. Thank you."
However, during her concert at the same venue a decade ago on Saturday, 26 January 2013, Amei herself waved a rainbow flag and said love was all around whether it's man-man, woman-woman or man-woman. When she sang her song Cai Hong (meaning rainbow), a camera zoomed in on couples in the crowd, showing them on a big screen on stage. When the camera focused on gay couple there were loud cheers from the audience. During her 2013 'AMeiZing' world tour, the singer sold rainbow flags to raise money for a support group for people living with HIV/AIDs and their families.

Guest Rainbow is gay symbol meh

It's just a flag... 

Wave or don't wave also no difference what. Especially since its just a flag.... 

i think fans and audience need to be sensitive to the situation. if the authorities decides to step in. things are going to be ugly. i know this is singapore not malaysia. but we do have some very conservative people around. 

if i am not wrong there are artists being stone at concerts. please please, we are already living in an era that there isn't much good music like in the 80s and 90s. 

Lame, why is this even a focus? creating a mountain out of a molehill.

I was at Amei concert and it was a greattt concert. I dun even know this happened and no one cares.

There are so many LGBTs there and we all enjoyed the concert.

Anyway, what the security did is not wrong. Flags are not allowed into Indoor stadium anyway.

And it's a public space and public event. It's not a LGBT event. why need to wave rainbow flag? To those who said its just a flag, c'mon lah, we all know the rainbow flag is not any ordinary flag. Spare a thought for the concert organiser and not just push our belief through.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.