Male HQ

Do you start doing work on Sunday night to prepare for the start of a new week?

appboy

I used to do this at times but now I don't.

I'd rather wake up earlier on Mon to start work.

I also set myself a rule of not touching work on weekends, I'd rather work late on weekdays than to continue working on weekends.

My work is no doubt hectic but it's really about how I manage time and work more productively in the day.

1 hour ago, appboy said:

I notice some of my colleagues and friends are doing this. Is this healthy? We allow work to eat into our weekends?

How much more do we need to sacrifice to keep up with the pace and work?

Unless they are single n bored.

..yes it's better fr some to prepare rather then stuck..I got a few sm ex colleagues are crazy can't mention name of the company they even  OT on weekends like Max 12 hrs lol not even healthy but still curious hw ....

Edited by JyT

Guest Not OT pay

Doing work on Sunday is like starting work earlier before Monday even began.  If you guys still cannot finish your work in office.  The best is to quickly complete them on Friday night or burn midnight oil at home,  so that you get to enjoy your full Weekend break without having to worry about anything at all. 

1 hour ago, Guest Not OT pay said:

Doing work on Sunday is like starting work earlier before Monday even began.  If you guys still cannot finish your work in office.  The best is to quickly complete them on Friday night or burn midnight oil at home,  so that you get to enjoy your full Weekend break without having to worry about anything at all. 

Most of us usually make appointments with friends on Fri so can't wait to leave office.

Most people want to stay at home on Sun and don't like to go on Sun evening.

Hence, Sun evening is reserved for personal admin time or feeling blues about life. Haa

47 minutes ago, appboy said:

Most of us usually make appointments with friends on Fri so can't wait to leave office.

Most people want to stay at home on Sun and don't like to go on Sun evening.

Hence, Sun evening is reserved for personal admin time or feeling blues about life. Haa

If got appt on Fri evening I will usually stay very productive in the day time to finish what I need to do. Generally some people tend to slack off on Friday but I dun let it affect me.

I dun log in on Sun evening, I'm not paid enough to do this :B). Dun let it be a habit. I mean, unless it's something very very urgent, I dun see why one cannot do it on Mon morning. Trust me, there really isn't any much difference doing it on Sun evening vs Mon morning.

I recalled back in those days, Sunday evening used to be gay clubbing nights, but I don't think this is happening anymore.

What work do you guys do? 

I find myself bored at work. I finish my work in a few hours daily. 

The rest is just pretending to still be working or double check the work or whatever it is to fill the void... 

27 minutes ago, Guest Lol said:

The rest is just pretending to still be working or double check the work or whatever it is to fill the void... 

Banking. The amount of work is a bitch and I always get horny in the afternoon.

3 hours ago, Guest Lol said:

I rather bored to death than work to death. Is your company hiring? Lol

Depends on your job scope and the type of boss you have. Some job scope not possible to do it at work, like technical/production. And if your boss is the workaholic type who work anytime and any part of the day, then good luck to you.

1 hour ago, Guest guest said:

Depends on your job scope and the type of boss you have. Some job scope not possible to do it at work, like technical/production. And if your boss is the workaholic type who work anytime and any part of the day, then good luck to you.

Yup tht why I won't wan date with himif he doesn't even had time for his "lover" his priorities is work then love lol

Guest Eat shit
45 minutes ago, Sweetie Pie said:

You are implicitly required to work wherever and whenever your boss requests if your income is obscene.

However, if your income is miserable and your boss demanded that you work long hours, tell him to go fuck dog and get a fuckable and cheap replacement for himself. . 

I only work during office hours. I don't see doctor opening their clinic beyond their office hours. I don't see mrt run pass the operating hours. I don't see kopitiam open before operating hours. 

So therefore, I don't work beyond working hours. Period. You can ask me to eat shit, etc at work. I just have to pretend to listen. By 6 pm, I'm out of the office and you are dead to me. I don't dare. I am not after the promotion. You can promote my colleagues. Then they can do your shit. I'm paid xxx for 9 am to 6 pm. Not xxx + 100 for staying extra 10 min after work... 

1 hour ago, Guest Eat shit said:

I don't work beyond working hours. Period. You can ask me to eat shit, etc at work. I just have to pretend to listen. By 6 pm, I'm out of the office and you are dead to me. I don't dare. I am not after the promotion. You can promote my colleagues. Then they can do your shit. I'm paid xxx for 9 am to 6 pm. Not xxx + 100 for staying extra 10 min after work... 

You have potential of living a long life. 

Guest Impostor syndrome
31 minutes ago, Sweetie Pie said:

You have potential of living a long life. 

Ask yourself this question 5 min before the end of office hours. 

WHY WORK SO SLOW? 

ITS NOT LIKE I'M RUNNING A MILLION DOLLAR BUSINESS OR SAVING LIVES. 

IF I DON'T LEAVE ON TIME, I'M WORKING FREE FOR THE COMPANY. 

IF BOSS DON'T LEAVE ON TIME? SO?? BOSS EARN 10K. I DON'T EVEN EARN HALF OF THAT. 

I HAVE PRETENDED TO WORK ENOUGH TODAY. 

GO HOME, LIVE A LIFE. COME BACK AND PRETEND AGAIN TOMORROW.

ACTORS ALSO NEED A BREAK. 

6 hours ago, Guest Impostor syndrome said:

Ask yourself this question 5 min before the end of office hours. 

WHY WORK SO SLOW? 

ITS NOT LIKE I'M RUNNING A MILLION DOLLAR BUSINESS OR SAVING LIVES. 

IF I DON'T LEAVE ON TIME, I'M WORKING FREE FOR THE COMPANY. 

IF BOSS DON'T LEAVE ON TIME? SO?? BOSS EARN 10K. I DON'T EVEN EARN HALF OF THAT. 

I HAVE PRETENDED TO WORK ENOUGH TODAY. 

GO HOME, LIVE A LIFE. COME BACK AND PRETEND AGAIN TOMORROW.

ACTORS ALSO NEED A BREAK. 

It isn't referred to as Imposter syndrome. The true impostor syndrome is when you have already done your task but remain in the workplace after hours while acting as though you are "working very hard" to get the boss's attention. These are folks who don't have lives outside of work and use it as a second home to pass the time.

Edited by Sweetie Pie

8 hours ago, Guest Eat shit said:

I only work during office hours. I don't see doctor opening their clinic beyond their office hours. I don't see mrt run pass the operating hours. I don't see kopitiam open before operating hours. 

So therefore, I don't work beyond working hours. Period. You can ask me to eat shit, etc at work. I just have to pretend to listen. By 6 pm, I'm out of the office and you are dead to me. I don't dare. I am not after the promotion. You can promote my colleagues. Then they can do your shit. I'm paid xxx for 9 am to 6 pm. Not xxx + 100 for staying extra 10 min after work... 

I think bosses don't like such mindset and attitude. If you have such mentality, like you said, your boss would so called 'condemn' you and would not give you any promotion and good appraisal, and label you as an average worker.

45 minutes ago, Sweetie Pie said:

It isn't referred to as Imposter syndrome. The true impostor syndrome is when you have already done your task but remain in the workplace after hours while acting as though you are "working very hard" to get the boss's attention. These are folks who don't have lives outside of work and use it as a second home to pass the time.

Agreed. Many people who have no life or don't want to go home, they just simply stay in the office even after office hours and enjoy the free aircon and free internet. And bosses thought they are working very hard at work. And some people who can claim OT might also stay back purposely to do some work to earn some OTs.

37 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

I think bosses don't like such mindset and attitude. If you have such mentality, like you said, your boss would so called 'condemn' you and would not give you any promotion and good appraisal, and label you as an average worker.

Depends... Asia boss will think that way,  they prefer staff to work OT but if your boss are ang moh, chances are they will chase u home. Work life balance is very important to them but is completely absent in most asian boss. Appraisal should focus on quality of work and not quantity. 

Edited by Healing Therapy

11 hours ago, Healing Therapy said:

Depends... Asia boss will think that way,  they prefer staff to work OT but if your boss are ang moh, chances are they will chase u home. Work life balance is very important to them but is completely absent in most asian boss. Appraisal should focus on quality of work and not quantity. 

Asia boss likely managing styles are old school type which like their staff to be physically in the office, do not knock off on time, reachable 24/7 and obedient.

These type of boss when they appraise your appraisal, if you are those type who always knock off on time, do not response to boss after office hours and not the ‘yes yes’ type, they would give you an average appraisal based on these. And tell you your work performance is not up to their expectation yet and still need room of improvement. 

In today context, you are loaded with work that can never be finished even if you work OT. How do leave on the dot? You tell me la.

The old advice of doing the urgent and important ones first don't work anymore as everything is urgent or the deadline is always yesterday. How to solve this? Again, work OT.

Even though you are a fast worker, a lot of things can't be solved easily nowadays. Hence, you rush to complete early to avoid causing delays.

We have to learn new things but no proper training provided or being given time to pick up for tasks that requires new knowledge and specialized skillsets. You are expected deliver like a pro even if it's your first time doing it.

If you are an executive and above, it's your responsibility to finish your work. Otherwise, you are deem as a poor performer during appraisal.

The company don't need to sack you. You will leave by yourself due to high stress.

Old one leaves, new one joins. "Rinse and repeat". Sounds familiar?

I usually spend an hour or so on Sunday afternoons prepping for the work week ahead. Usually, it is just setting up reminders on the things that I didn't have time to attend to over the previous week, scheduling meetings, and planning work outfits, sometimes it is just catching up on emails. However, in the past few months, Sunday evenings have been taken up by Zoom calls with Asia since it is Monday morning already. 

Love. 

Perhaps it all depends on expectation.. What is our own expectation of our career in terms of appreciation, appraisal outcome, trajectory of advancements and salaries etc. If we have expectations to be on top of things and we are not able to do so during work hours, then we might want to put some time to prepare the necessary for the coming week (read up info / catch up on emails / structure your work week on the coming days etc). For the morning people, they are able to do so early in the morning whereas for the not so morning people, the day before may be more suitable.

If our bosses expects us to deliver and we need to put in the extra hours to complete, then we might well have to unless we have other options like sacking the boss and going to a new job that better suits us. Eventually, we just need to satistfy our own expectation on our $$$ and career aspirations whether relaxed, accomplished or stable.

Edited by inamoto

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.