Male HQ

6 pack but not super lean

radiusulnar

I see some people who are not super lean but have a visible 6 pack.

They say they get the 6 pack showing not through dieting but through doing more ab work.

The theory is that the abs get bigger and so can show through even though there is still a layer of fat.

Has doing more ab work without an intense diet worked for you? Doing more ab work seems a lot easier than dieting.

image.png.c23003be656f26ef28b15ddbce4af6c8.png

36 minutes ago, radiusulnar said:

I see some people who are not super lean but have a visible 6 pack.

They say they get the 6 pack showing not through dieting but through doing more ab work.

The theory is that the abs get bigger and so can show through even though there is still a layer of fat.

Has doing more ab work without an intense diet worked for you? Doing more ab work seems a lot easier than dieting.

image.png.c23003be656f26ef28b15ddbce4af6c8.png

Personal experiences with fitness can vary widely. Some individuals may find that increasing their ab work helps define their muscles, while others may need a more significant focus on their diet to reduce body fat. Ultimately, it's about what works best for your body and your goals.

Remember that a healthy diet and overall body fat percentage play a significant role in revealing your abs. While ab exercises are beneficial for core strength and muscle definition, they might not be the sole solution for everyone. A combination of exercise and a balanced diet often yields the best results.

The approach to fitness can also depend on your personal goals and who you want to attract. If you're looking to impress in a specific fitness niche or attract individuals who value a certain physique, tailoring your exercise and nutrition strategy accordingly can be important. Attracting the right people should be a positive side effect of feeling confident and comfortable in your own skin.

Abs will not show if diet totally fails. You will still need to maintain low body fat % to show abs although those who train on abs can have a slightly higher fat % but still show abs. Those who depends only on diet without abs exercise will have a much flatter abs while those who do lots of abs exercise will have a rounder abs thus much more better when photo taking

On 10/11/2023 at 3:30 PM, radiusulnar said:

thanks for the viewpoints. it looks like it will have to be trial and error. since i find dieting harder than exercising more, i think i will give it a try. hopefully it doesn't make the existing fat bulge out even more!

it‘s not trial and error, it’s about following simple advice, being consistent and understanding that there aren’t any shortcuts… you have to put in the work with diet AND exercise, unless you are that lucky one in a million person who just happens to have all the genetic blessings.

You should better focus on your diet to get the result you say you want. Doing more ab specific exercises is not going to do much for you until you get diet and body fat in check. 

20 hours ago, radiusulnar said:

Yeah but some people say if exercise more the abs bigger so need to be less lean. Eg no need 10% body fat to see flat 6 pack but can see pop up 6 pack at 12% body fat. But 12% body fat also very difficult without diet

this just sounds like looking for shortcuts or making excuses. Why not just consistently follow the simple advice given? 

On 10/18/2023 at 9:00 PM, radiusulnar said:

starvation here i come!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2023 at 9:00 PM, radiusulnar said:

starvation here i come! 🤣

Eat more low carb food like vegetables can avoid the starvation but you will need to eat much much more of it. Look for vegetables that grow above ground level like leave or grass type. For me at dinner time i mostly just eat one pot of vegetables with eggs

Drink lots of water also as thirst is always mistaken for hunger in your body

On 10/23/2023 at 3:44 PM, radiusulnar said:

Yeah but some people say if exercise more the abs bigger so need to be less lean. Eg no need 10% body fat to see flat 6 pack but can see pop up 6 pack at 12% body fat. But 12% body fat also very difficult without diet

12% body fat also need dieting. Its always how strict you control your diet to lead to how low your body fat %

Diet plays a big role in six pack.

In essence, the basic understanding is everything can grow/shrink (including muscle and fat).

- do a lot of abs workout + no food control = strong/thick abs muscle but fat level too high to show the visible lines = minimal to no abs.

- do a lot of abs workout + food control = strong/thick abs muscle and low fat level = optimum to see visible abs line

- do little abs workout + no food control = weak abs and high fat level = no abs visible

- do little abs workout + food control = weak abs and low fat level = perhaps can see a visible separation line of abs.

There is no rule of thumb for which percentage to be able to see abs. It is more about having a thicker abs muscle means the visibility will be more obvious or can be seen at a higher percentage fat level and vice versa. But in general if you have like 10% body fat, perhaps you will have sort of nicely defined packs albeit could be pretty flat weak abs if no workout focus on abs or popping thick abs if a lot of hardwork put into it.

Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...

Diet is definitely one thing. Low % fat will make abs show even without actively trying to flex. 

Proper abdominal workout is another. Many people wanted abs, but all they ever focus on in the gym are their pecs, arms, traps, etc. A few will attempt to spend ~5 minutes on their core mindlessly swinging their legs up and down while hanging from a bar.

Proper abs/core workout is actually very tiring. Try to hold a L-sit while hanging from a bar with your legs straight, squeezed together and braced core and you will know what I mean.   

7 hours ago, radiusulnar said:

Yes. It was a struggle to get past 30 seconds.

It will only get better with more practice. If you can, get a yoga block or something small to slot in between your ankles to make sure you are squeezing tight. 

I do have a colleague who claims he has abs although from the office attire he wore you can see the abdominal is not that flat. Another fren doesn't have much fats there but he doesn't appear lean wearing clothes also. Cos the built(or maybe the bone structure) is big. Both not quite the kind that appeals to me though. Similarly the pics above.

Edited by Leanmeat

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2024 at 4:00 PM, radiusulnar said:

An example of 6 pack but not super lean?

john-Cena-oscars-naked.jpg

He is once very lean with very define abs during the early days of his wrestling career but now he is fatter a bit so abs is lesser define although still can see a bit lining

13 hours ago, radiusulnar said:

Meaning if have a good base (lean, defined) than adding on more weight will still keep the visible abs. So shiok!

If you have strong abs (as in you use your core a lot and do ab isolation workouts) then they’ll get bigger, just like any other muscle.

It’s like, say biceps. Someone can have a lot of fat but if they have strong muscles they’ll still look quite muscular even though they won’t be ‘shredded’.

a lot of people say abs don’t need to be trained, only made in the kitchen, but if you want abs to really pop you have to use them as well and train them like any other muscle group!

that’s my experience at least :) 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.