Male HQ

Does body massage offer health benefits?

kidster

Why do so many of us like to go for massage? Does body massage offer health benefits? Or is it the happy ending we are hoping for?

When I consult my physiotherapist, she mentions it will help to release the "release" the muscles but we need to "activate" after that. Activate means strengthen.

If massage does have health benefits, which type and how often should we do?

I recently went for one and ended up having very bad sore muscles for weeks. Is it normal? Appreciate constructive advices and inputs. Thanks 

Many think that massage should end up in soreness n painful for days. That's not right.  Many think that one should feel painful for the money they pay. How i know about this? One massuer who massaged me many years back told me this. If no pain means many clients say its not a good massage. To me it's rubbish. Good massage means one will sleep soundly like a baby after the massage session. That's a good massage. 

I am not a masseur.

Other than providing a good relaxation, a good massage is also about getting our body with improved circulation.  I am not sure what "activate" is being implied by your physiotherapist.  However, to use the term lightly, I would follow up to 'activate' the good massage with a glass of warm water and avoid any rigorous activities.  Let the body to continue to relax for the next few hours.

Usually I will go for Swedish massage.  At times, I will opt for a combination of Thai and Swedish.

Every body is different.  Maybe your masseur was using more strength than your body can take it?  Maybe your body had been too tired that the massage "activating" the recuperation?  What did you do after the massage?

Click Here To Visit My Blog @ "The Blessed Life"

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

- May there be Love and Peace beyond all understanding -

3 hours ago, kidster said:

Why do so many of us like to go for massage? Does body massage offer health benefits? Or is it the happy ending we are hoping for?

When I consult my physiotherapist, she mentions it will help to release the "release" the muscles but we need to "activate" after that. Activate means strengthen.

If massage does have health benefits, which type and how often should we do?

I recently went for one and ended up having very bad sore muscles for weeks. Is it normal? Appreciate constructive advices and inputs. Thanks 

Many people enjoy massages because they offer various health benefits, including stress relief, improved circulation, and muscle relaxation. However, it's essential to clarify your intentions when seeking a massage to avoid misunderstandings. Different types of massages serve various purposes, so the frequency and type depend on your individual needs. Soreness after a massage can be normal, especially if it was deep tissue or intense; it usually subsides within a few days. To prevent prolonged soreness, communicate your preferences and any pre-existing conditions with your massage therapist to ensure a more tailored experience.

It definitely has benefits from what I can feel if you work out regularly. Muscles are always sore and tight when used frequently and massages can help release some of the tension.

plus I have to admit, an oil massage makes me horny haha. Happy endings don’t hurt either.

6 hours ago, cutejack said:

Many think that massage should end up in soreness n painful for days. That's not right.  Many think that one should feel painful for the money they pay. How i know about this? One massuer who massaged me many years back told me this. If no pain means many clients say its not a good massage. To me it's rubbish. Good massage means one will sleep soundly like a baby after the massage session. That's a good massage. 

True...I attended a year of massage course and got my cert in London. I even attended Chinese massage in a TCM sch. Both massage courses didn't teach me to go hard and painful because is wrong. An authentic good massage is to let you release stress and to relax your body mind.

I am not an expert in massage, due to a nearly complete lack of experience.  But I have plenty of experience in living WITHOUT massages.

I have had maybe one or two massages in my whole life, it's hard to remember, and none with happy ending. 

I have never felt a need for a massage.  On the contrary, I dislike the idea of someone fooling around with my body.  I have worked out with weights for half a century, and sometimes felt some delayed onset soreness with muscles I had not used for a while,  but recently working out on mostly the same muscles I have been free of soreness, without any need for massages.  I sleep well relaxed every night, and I have given myself oh...  oh so many delicious happy endings... without need of any beginnings.  All this while staying healthy!

Please don't take my observation as a critique of massages.  We are all different, with different needs or absence of them.  :)  

Edited by Steve5380

Just to share...

Massage will promote good blood circulation as most of the strokes lead towards the direction of the lymph nodes to allow drainage of waste and toxins in the blood. Muscle stiffness can possibly be build up of lactic acid in the muscle tissue and the strokes help drain them away. The manipulation of the soft tissue are meant to produce effects on the vascular, muscular and nervous system in the body. The skin also benefits from massage as it will exfoilate any dead skin. It has both mental and physical benefits. Irregardless of the types of massage being done thru different cultures - they all aim to restore the body's natural balance.

While anyone will enjoy the relaxing type of massage which is more western - the Asian massages are deeper and can be more painful at times. This may result with the muscles being brusied in the process but ironicly I am told that the theory of it is to promote the body's natural healing response to the area. Where there is an injury - our body naturally responds by healing it.  Hence the theory of no pain - no gain. 

At the end of the day, just go for the type of massage that you are comfortable with. 

Edited by Romanguy

Guest Massagelover

Anyone who takes their fitness seriously will love a good sports massage. Not only does it feel great to have your muscles released, but it also helps to stretch out the muscle fibres and increase muscle flexibility and reduce muscle tightness. A sports massage is not a massage you can fall asleep to, but it does feel good for the body. 

How often to go for massage?

it depends on your pocket really. Let’s be honest, massage isn’t cheap in Singapore.

There are over 50 types of massages worldwide, so which type of massage is for you is really subjective. One is your preference of level of pressure. 

In layman’s term, massage enhances mood, improves blood flow. Improved blood flow means your blood is able to deliver oxygen better throughout your body. In that case, it also speeds up any soreness and keep you relaxed. 

I’m a son of parents who were both diagnosed with stroke. What causes stroke? Mainly stress, poor blood flow,

poor diet.

i can go on and on with this but shall keep it short and simple here. I’m a massage therapist btw. I’m sure the other therapists can answer more. 🙃

7 hours ago, iKneadyou said:

How often to go for massage?

it depends on your pocket really. Let’s be honest, massage isn’t cheap in Singapore.

There are over 50 types of massages worldwide, so which type of massage is for you is really subjective. One is your preference of level of pressure. 

In layman’s term, massage enhances mood, improves blood flow. Improved blood flow means your blood is able to deliver oxygen better throughout your body. In that case, it also speeds up any soreness and keep you relaxed. 

I’m a son of parents who were both diagnosed with stroke. What causes stroke? Mainly stress, poor blood flow,

poor diet.

i can go on and on with this but shall keep it short and simple here. I’m a massage therapist btw. I’m sure the other therapists can answer more. 🙃

You mean going for massage can improve poor blood flow? But i also hear horror stories that some people after going for massage got stroke, could be due to the massage therapist anyhow massage.

11 hours ago, Guest guest said:

You mean going for massage can improve poor blood flow? But i also hear horror stories that some people after going for massage got stroke, could be due to the massage therapist anyhow massage.

Yea absolutely. Lol a doctor caused a patient to go blind recently. I wouldn't say anyhow massage. Could be deep strokes ain't for him. I blackout after one of my teacher massaged me although I told him not too hard.

On 10/25/2023 at 9:26 PM, Guest guest said:

What horror stories? Go workout in the gym also can get stroke right? So what are u talking about?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.