Male HQ

High Bad Cholesterol

tyan

My total cholesterol has exceeded 300 with major contributor from bad cholesterol. How can I reduce it instead of relying on medication? And if I really need to take medication, are there side effect?

8 hours ago, tyan said:

My total cholesterol has exceeded 300 with major contributor from bad cholesterol. How can I reduce it instead of relying on medication? And if I really need to take medication, are there side effect?

As per what balestier suggested, kindly follow that n do not start any medication as it can affect yr sexual life n many other things.

Take care. 

I used to have high cholesterol and this is what I did to bring it down without meds. 

1. Every morning, mash 2 cloves of garlic and take it raw. At the initial stage, you can add a bit of honey for taste but cut down on the honey until you can take it raw.

2. I have a cup and a half of oats every morning. Sometimes I make it fresh in the morning (sweetened with fruits, not processed sugar) or I will prepare overnight oats and eat that in the morning. A simple way to make overnight oats is by combining half a cup of oats and equal amount of milk. Keep it in the fridge and enjoy the next day. You can vary this recipe by adding chia seeds, greek yoghurt, fruits and anything else you want. You can even substitute the milk with a non-dairy source.

3. For dinner, I'll have white meat (fish, chicken or turkey) with vegetables. Lunch is my "decadent" meal but I avoid fried stuff.

4. I allow myself one cheat meal (not cheat day, but a cheat meal) to eat anything I want but at a lesser portion. 

5. I eat more pectin-rich fruits such as citrus fruits, apples, grapes and berries. Do be mindful of the sugar content of some of these fruits. If you are watching your sugar intake, avoid eating too much grapes and apples. Berries are lower in sugar but contain high pectin.

6. Three times a week, i make and drink fresh barley. I use winter melon strips as a sweetener and also eat the barley after drinking.

7. I also added more fibre in my diet in the form of psyllium supplements. The best source of fiber comes from cruciferous vegetables like leafy greens, cauliflower, broccoli, and arugula.

8. I also increase movement every chance I get. I live in Woodlands so sometimes I will alight at Sembawang MRT and walk home. Or I will walk every chance I get. Now, I still go for daily walks and go longer distances during the weekends.

9. I cut down on deep fried foods and opted for alternative methods of cooking. Grilling is a surprisingly delectable way of enjoying your foods without the guilt of frying in oil. I achieved this by cutting down on the portion, then cutting down the amount of oil until I was practically stir-frying before switching to other cooking methods. 

10. Keep a journal of your meals to monitor your progress. This is essential especially when you feel like giving up. Looking at your journal will remind you of your goal and what you have accomplished so far. That will motivate you to keep going.

Hope this helps. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions. Good luck on your journey!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can totally phase off food input cholesterol by becoming vegan. Another choice is becoming ovo lacto vegetarian with only cholesterol source coming from only egg and milk. It depends on how fearful or craving you are to get a better health. I myself is a full time ovo lacto vegetarian change from a meat eater around the age of 37. Now already past more than 10 years and i still having this diet. You can get your motivation by not harming animals or better health or slimming down etc

Thanks for all your suggestion. Have seen doctor & review with him. The main reason is my weight. It has increased a lot and thus the LDL too. So according to doc, the only way is to be put on medication right away & at the same time, lose weight. 

7 hours ago, tyan said:

Thanks for all your suggestion. Have seen doctor & review with him. The main reason is my weight. It has increased a lot and thus the LDL too. So according to doc, the only way is to be put on medication right away & at the same time, lose weight. 

U should have tried to delay medication for 6 months  and lose weight by cardio and IF. Once u start the medication , u can't stop

Damn cholesterol sounds really serious, last year my check up results it was like in beyond the very high range. Tried to cut down on oily foods and red meat but have yet to actually check up again this year.

My weight have not went down so that might not be a good thing. The diet suggestions here are healthy but idk if I can go long term on it as it differs quite greatly from food I’m used to eating like rice and stuff.

meal prep might help but so far I find difficulties keeping up with it. Any tips on how to make it an easier process?

On 1/31/2024 at 11:42 PM, DiDing said:

Damn cholesterol sounds really serious, last year my check up results it was like in beyond the very high range. Tried to cut down on oily foods and red meat but have yet to actually check up again this year.

My weight have not went down so that might not be a good thing. The diet suggestions here are healthy but idk if I can go long term on it as it differs quite greatly from food I’m used to eating like rice and stuff.

meal prep might help but so far I find difficulties keeping up with it. Any tips on how to make it an easier process?

Try to check once a year. You can keep some leftover to lunch tomorrow. Or prepare night before. Try basmati rice or brown rice.

8 hours ago, Balestier said:

Try to check once a year. You can keep some leftover to lunch tomorrow. Or prepare night before. Try basmati rice or brown rice.

Yea aiming to do once a year to monitor. Hmm my family don't usually cook so I eat out most of the time. Might need to try looking for really easy to prepare meals like dump all in a pot and mix sort of food then will be practical in terms of time

• 2 weeks later...
Guest love_BIG

slim guy like me have cholesterol problem too, my BMI is 19 but have slight high in LDL & Total cholesterol and high in Triglyceride for many years until I cut down on redefined carbo and sugar, eat more high fiber food (green) and good protein source (actually is from glass-fed red meat), more exercise and good sleep.

On 2/16/2024 at 12:28 PM, Guest love_BIG said:

slim guy like me have cholesterol problem too, my BMI is 19 but have slight high in LDL & Total cholesterol and high in Triglyceride for many years until I cut down on redefined carbo and sugar, eat more high fiber food (green) and good protein source (actually is from glass-fed red meat), more exercise and good sleep.

I think urs still ok. Mine is beyond high risk. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.