Male HQ

AWARE Saga of 2009 (compiled)

someone made this observation yesterday and I quote him here:

Saw a video of part one of the interview on something called Wayang Party blog; many comments to the video seem to have been left by the fundamentalsts and/or their supporters. Saw part 2 on CNA.

Overall there was a total lack of incisive questioning and research by the interviewers, and they just accepted evasion every time without pressing the point; for example on the issue of sexuality discrimination (poor Josie couldn't even say the word "sexuality"), they could have pointed out that COOS and Cornerstone organised a nasty response to the previous PM's statement that the government would not discriminate in employing gay people (their standard letter of complaint was on both their websites). Had they had any part in that, did they agree with it? Very pertinent questions.

Also they didn't pick up when Josie said the direction would be "pro-family", in clarifying exactly what that meant. Who isn't "pro-family"? But here it is a political usage of the conservative "christian" right, and I don't think it's one that the traditional feminists would agree with as regards the equal rights of women and rights over their own bodies.

Why weren't some of the "old guard" there, like the woman who has just been fired half way through preparing a report for the UN? And why didn't they ask about that? This was obviously a high priority for the new Exco.

Also why not ask about new Exco connections to the notorious Focus on the Family, and how many new members belong to that?

All in all it was a very lightweight interview that was way too short and that looks more like a PR exercise for the new President.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Drama Queen

er Boss already Ok with her to go on the post. So her Saga with DBS settled

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/cna/20090418/tap-...te-231650b.html

It can be the boss tried to create a kind of "arranged saga" to boost free publication on the institution.

With now approved, it can be hidden announcement to those "anti" deal more biz with her institution to replace the withdrawal of our pink dollars?

No real fact --- but that is my drama queen thinking

Btw few days ago tried to access BW but were directed to some nude pussy web with many annoying pop up rubish web

Is that mean BW were hacked few days ago? as they dont like we post comments?

N r we safe in accessing this BW web? wont they plan some trojan/worm virus to crash plu who access this BW web?

Wondering how we protect our web from being hacked? Not like AWARE being totally invaded but cant do much, we sure can prevent from now to save guard our free speakin corner here rite?

Btw few days ago tried to access BW but were directed to some nude pussy web with many annoying pop up rubish web

Is that mean BW were hacked few days ago? as they dont like we post comments?

N r we safe in accessing this BW web? wont they plan some trojan/worm virus to crash plu who access this BW web?

Wondering how we protect our web from being hacked? Not like AWARE being totally invaded but cant do much, we sure can prevent from now to save guard our free speakin corner here rite?

Drama queen,

For more info on what happened to BW, http://www.blowingwind.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=13195

It can be the boss tried to create a kind of "arranged saga" to boost free publication on the institution.

With now approved, it can be hidden announcement to those "anti" deal more biz with her institution to replace the withdrawal of our pink dollars?

No real fact --- but that is my drama queen thinking

DQ, you really think too much.

It's not settled between her and DBS, but they've agreed to keep it indoors.

Arranged saga? By DBS?

Aiyoh where got so drama.

We should just wait for May 2 when AWARE have their EOGM to discuss and layout each ideas and positions. The whole scenario has somehow implied hidden agendas from the old and new committee members as well as the mindset of DBS spokeperson. On a grander scale of life, homosexuality is afterall just another aspect of life we all face. ;)

Guest Lesbian

I hope to see more lesbians joining AWARE now and than ousted out the hated one who discriminated against them. I am in!!! This will keep the fundamentalist out of the scene forever. Sorry guys to use your gay forum to voice my displeasure of the ugly old Josie.

Guest Trevor
Hi OB, just some thoughts. I wonder how do you suppose we AJs can organise ourselves when in fact the people in this country are not well-organised? Do you suppose we can register ourselves as a society? Do you suppose AJs can behave like the xtian fundies to group together and spring a massive takeover without running into the risk of being exposed? Remember, we were not even allowed to organise a healthy run in pink? Or should we simply organise more gatherings like the infamous stripe mahjong sessions?

I have read but simply cannot understand what we are supposed to understand from the two postings. Obviously, this bear is homophoic or just another xtian supporter who claims he is not. He claims that we, AJs love to bawl and cry foul. Indeed, we cry foul because we are treated unfairly. But, did we just shake our fists and stamp on the floor like a three-year-old kid would, without a valid reason? In fact, no other groups, except AJs have spoken up and lent support for the old guard of AWARE. I think we are more united than what that bear can imagine. Where does he get his idea about AJs bawling and moaning? From the papers, of course. And, do you suppose the papers have ever done us justice?

If ever, i want to read someone commenting about AJs, that should come from AJs themselves, because people like the bears simply don't understand us. How do you suppose a non-AJ to understand and empathise with AJs?

Solo Bear is a BIGOT masquarading as a liberal.

I hope to see more lesbians joining AWARE now and than ousted out the hated one who discriminated against them. I am in!!! This will keep the fundamentalist out of the scene forever. Sorry guys to use your gay forum to voice my displeasure of the ugly old Josie.

I tried to get my lesbian colleague to join AWARE, but she said she not interested in this kind of thing leh...

Anyway, I love lesbians, and am glad to have them here.

Guest Josie_CB

u dont need to be a woman or lesbian to join...if u r kapo, just join as male member..maybe can try to twist the hubby to our side of us >)

Hi OB, just some thoughts. I wonder how do you suppose we AJs can organise ourselves when in fact the people in this country are not well-organised? ....

If ever, i want to read someone commenting about AJs, that should come from AJs themselves, because people like the bears simply don't understand us. How do you suppose a non-AJ to understand and empathise with AJs?

amkies, i posted solo bear's blog to, well, provide a different views on this matter. you know that group will say, you know how we would react, so it is good also to hear people somewhere in the middle (solo bear need not be viewed as strict neutral)

what can we do? I believed my last posting shared some of my views, those actions may not matters, but with collective action from all of us, we can prove our stand.

after reading some blogs and MSM, the AWARE matter has suddently turned into gay vs xtian saga, which I think clouded what AWARE stands for. while there are xtians organization that disagreed with the underhand method of takeover AWARE, but being too focused on pro-gay/ against-gay may forced these organization, who are till now siting by the fence, to choose side.

The AWARE saga has dug out the names from that group, by google, you can find the names of the companies that they owned or are working for. Use the power of your money, dont fatten their pocket so that they have more funds to channel, there are definitely more worthy businesses you can support.

p/s: you dont need to be a woman to join AWARE

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

http://mathialee.wordpress.com/2009/04/17/...d-do-something/

edited:

ONLY SINGAPOREAN and PR WOMEN, above 18 yrs old can vote.

WOW... ST did its homework... Bios of the new exco plus picture

http://www.straitstimes.com/STI/STIMEDIA/p...90418/AWARE.pdf

Somemore info, esp on which clinics to avoid. If you still dont think so, try reading the link in the same blog on the Dr's writing to the forum...

http://blog.alicecheong.com/?p=409

In case the long articles I quoted resulted in people missing the info about petition, I repeat the info here. Give your support to the "old guards" in AWARE by clicking on this online petition:

http://www.gopetition.com/online/27163.html

Read more info here:

http://we-are-aware.sg/

It is heartening that a number of people here have signed it. Pl do one more thing: ask others to consider signing it too, out of their free will of course.

Edited by permanent-guest

Showdown at AWARE office over lock change by new exco

By Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 23 April 2009 2304 hrs

Showdown at AWARE office over lock change ordered by new exco

SINGAPORE: It was a tense atmosphere at the AWARE office on Thursday evening as members of the old guard tried to prevent the new executive committee from changing the locks at the office.

The centre's manager, Schutz Lee, said she was not informed of the plans to change locks.

Ms Lee, who has been working there since February, was also fired without reason by the new executive committee at 8pm on Thursday.

Members of the old guard turned up hurriedly at the scene, anxious over the documents kept there.

Dana Lam, former AWARE president, said: "I walked in and there were three burly men sitting at the counter. It's not something we encounter at AWARE because it's a women's centre and we are giving counselling sessions to women who have been abused.

"The men have apparently been instructed by the president to change the lock in the centre. There is a vote of no-confidence going on here. By right, they have no right to make any changes. I am worried for my materials – 25 years of research material, including confidential material."

- CNA/so

Guest Stressed

Gay and Lesbian community are seen on the move to articulate their displeasure openly. It is a good sign that we see "open war" between us and "them" to save people who accepted us for who we were. This is the greatest opportunity to declare our displeasure since the fundamentalists are now on the aggression against us by rooting AWARE as a launch pad, outside their church, to further their agenda against us politically and not simply writing hostile homophobic letters to the press. It is no longer just the church preaching, it is about wanting to have power to influence our policy makers rid our rights a quarter half.

It is not about religion in the past and we mean no harm to them, and people like us believe in peace. However this was not well reciprocrated when large banners with offensive homophobic messages were flahsed large and loud outside their church for the world to see. What have we done to deserve such discrimination and humiliation that our existence is a sinful crime to them, did we rape their wife or steal their husband that they must come close to make our nephews and nieces hated us.

Tolerance has its limit, if we do not show them the true power of us relative to "theirs", than there will be no such opportune time again other than now.

Please all my gay and lesbian friends, do whatever you feel you should do. We need to believe in ourselves that any small gesture and an effort like ants can shift mountain taller than the sky.

Sorry for feeling so emotional about people who dislike us.

Guest Guest

I appeal for peace and calm here for all PLU interested in this topic and getting agitated about what happenned in AWARE recently and foaming at the mouth like rabid dogs ready to bite.

Calm down as not all Anglicans subscribe to the believes of the singapore Anglican church.

I quote Archbishop Desmond TUTU of South Africa :

" In an interview with BBC Radio 4 on 18 November 2007, Tutu accused the church of being obsessed with homosexuality and declared: "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God."[74]"

Source.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_Tutu

And the Anglican Church in England which is headed by the Queen of England herself , the church has understood the issues involved and by correct logic come to this sane conclusion.

"Homosexuality and the Church of England

Many of the headlines regarding the Church of England since 2002 have regarded the rights of homosexual priests. The Church of England allows for the ordination of gay priests as long as they are celibate.

In 2003 Canon Jeffrey John was appointed as Bishop of Reading. Despite his pro-gay views (he's written articles and pamphlets outlining why gay couples should live in faithful, permanent, stable relationships) he made it clear that he was celibate. His appointment, and the subsequent election of an openly gay bishop in America, prompted a national and international examination on the rights of homosexual clergy. Canon Jeffrey John stood down as Bishop-elect of Reading but has subsequently been installed as Dean of St Albans.

Alongside issues of homosexual clergy, the wider Anglican Communion has been wrestling with whether to sanction same-sex blessings. Both these issues could cause divisions within the Anglican Communion with the provinces of the global south (Nigeria, South East Asia, South America among many others) threatening to split permanently from those sanctioning the blessing of same-sex relationships and the ordination of non-celibate gay clergy - mainly in North America. A commission set up by the Archbishop of Canterbury and headed by Dr Robin Eames, Primate of Ireland made recommendations on the matter in autumn 2004.

Source.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/ch...fe/cofe_3.shtml

So as we can see the Anglican church in England have progressed and moved on on this issue , and the same for the South African Anglican church. There are some who have opposed but this only shows that the Anglican communion themselves cannot totally agree on all issues themselves.

So is this enlightening, so don't go kill yourselves over what happened in AWA

Guest Awared

The more important news is that Thio Su Mien has ever openly lobbied for the right of the church to change our constitution.

The new members in the ex-co have appointed Thio Su Mien as the adviser! If u know the info about Thio Su Mien (her daughter is Thio Li Ann) you would know why this is important news.

Guest Awared

I am truly, truly, terrified now. As a homosexual, as a singaporean, and as a non christian.

From denying an anti homosexual agenda, and a christian agenda, they have within weeks progressed to blatantly flaunting it in a show of arms.

The forums are being flooded with letters supporting them and their credientials, the style of which is written in we can quite safely assume are by their church members.

No one seems to be able to contain them. Not even the media. Definitely not the private connections of the Aware old guards. And not even DBS.

This is a very dark day for all singaporeans. In our graciousness to welcome all cultures and beliefs, we have been exploited by a group intended to use our welcoming arms to suffocate us.

Because in the bible, homosexuality has always been a very minor issue. The far bigger one is always how other religions should be treated.

I pray for all those who went in this round. And all those who would be next.

Guest Guest
The more important news is that Thio Su Mien has ever openly lobbied for the right of the church to change our constitution.

Would you be kind enough to provide some sources and references as to where you got this info.

Thanks it will enlighten all of us.

if you do not have a reliable source then I must say it just hearsay.

Correct me if I am wrong.

For whatever action you want to do, please do it LEGALLY... do not let them have another opportunity to brag to the society that we are "harmful" to the society.

Hit them where it hurts the most - their pocket.

For me:

- I have decided that I will still keep my DBS/ POSB cards, but I will not use them

- I will avoid all lifeline clinics

Guest Guest
This is part of what I mean by "If you know the info about Thio Su Mien" :)

I don't think a church has the right or support to change the constitution if it was not supported BY the people and government more likely she was opposed to the repeal of section 377A of the penal code that issue she made herself very clear on national TV and newspaper in Singapore parliament.

But most of my lawyer friends have rubbished her arguments put forward in Parliament and wondered how she could still have the face to go to her office and face her colleagues in NUS law school knowing she had put across her personal views and how she was going to face HER law students too.

Imagine telling your students you have to fight for fairness and justice , and let the truth come to light and sounding genuine to her students that she really is a upright person arguing for justice and fairness and then in national TV she discriminates against a group of people she has never met and try to understand in a human way.

Does she know someone who is homosexual and the discrimination they have to undergo.

Unless she a two FACED.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin.../424496/1/.html

New exco wants to bring AWARE back to its "original cause"

By Cheryl Lim, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 24 April 2009 0150 hrs

SINGAPORE : Bringing Aware back to its "original cause" - that is what the new executive committee (exco) of advocacy group, the Association of Women for Action and Research (AWARE), is planning to do.

In an emotionally-charged news conference on Thursday, the new guard said AWARE has lost its focus.

They accused the old guard of steering AWARE into becoming a single purpose organisation.

Drama erupted even before the news conference started (ENEWS: with current Honorary Treasurer Chew I-Jin accusing the new guard of intentionally excluding her from their news conference.)

"I'm utterly disappointed and disgusted because I'm meant to do a presentation alongside you, Lois (Ng, Executive Committee member)," said Chew.

During the one-and-a-half hour event, the group introduced well-known corporate lawyer Dr Thio Su Mien, as their so-called "feminist mentor".

Dr Thio is the Senior Executive Director of TSMP Law Corporation and mother of Nominated MP, Dr Thio Li Ann, and Senior Counsel Thio Shen Yi.

The new exco said AWARE had become a single purpose organisation overly concerned with promoting lesbianism.

They repeatedly raised examples, like how the old guard had backed a lesbian film screening in 2007 and organised a lesbian-friendly Mother's Day event in 2006. And they wanted to bring the association back to what they say is its original noble cause.

When contacted for comment, former AWARE president Margaret Thomas said those comments were ridiculous and not deserving of any comment.

Dr Thio Su Mien also revealed that she had emailed several groups with her concerns about the direction the association was taking, which prompted reporters to ask if the takeover was orchestrated.

"It depends on what you mean by organising. It is kind of flattering in a way. I'm frustrated, I talk to people, I collect info, I send to different people. You want to join, (then) join. I will help you. We discover that networking helps," said Dr Thio, adviser to the new AWARE exco.

The new exco said none of them intend to step down, but revealed that taking up office has come with risks.

Several members received death threats which have been reported to the police.

"Each day, I fear for the physical safety of my children, my family. There's even a blog site detailing my children's names and which schools they go to," said Josie Lau, AWARE's president.

The team will go ahead with the extraordinary general meeting planned for May 2 and is looking for a new venue to accommodate its burgeoning membership. It is now 880 and still growing. - CNA /ls

Guest We Are Not Amused

A lot has been said about the tactics employed by the new Exco of AWARE and many have inferred that a Christian fundamentalist agenda is on the cards. Here is my take:-

AWARE was a secular NGO that was inclusive. It was this tolerance that was seen as permissive and prompted a group of Christian fundamentalists to act to prevent what they perceived as the erosion of morality as they saw it. The Christian fundamentalists see themselves as the vanguard of morality and seek to impose their idea of morality on all and sundry. This emanates from their concept of evangelization which by its very nature makes converting others to their way of thinking and embracing their idea of morality as the primary mission. History has chronicled the result of this overtly zealous behaviour. From the Crusades to the ethnic genocide of Darfur, civilised society has been blighted by the scourge of extremists pushing their agenda in the misguided belief that they are fulfilling the will of their god. Whatever the guise of their religion, extremists are just one step short of being fanatical terrorists.

To those who would argue that this is a democracy and that everyone is at liberty to push their agenda, consider this - not too long ago, the state went after a group of Catholics who opposed state policy on issues such as the legalisation of abortion and branded them "Marxists" with many of them incarcerated. Prior to this, communists and communalists were deemed to be a threat to the fledging independent state. Hence it can be seen that democracy is relative. What is democracy relative to? The short answer - the well being of the majority. It is because the powers that be deem the religious fundamentalists (conservatives in official lingo) to be the mainstream of Singapore society, that no muzzle has been put on this as yet since state intervention only seems to arise when an economic imperative exists or the potential extent of damage to social cohesion is substantial.

And yet the act of hijacking a secular organisation and subverting it to a fundamentalist religious agenda is not without precedent - DBS is a secular organisation for all intents and purposes. However when individuals within act to usurp the neutral secular policies of the bank to promote their own religious agenda such as recommending sponsoring a charity known globally for its religious fundamental extremist terrorist intolerance, then clearly it must be seen that such individuals would not hesitate to do likewise with an NGO! Perhaps only when they start to attack gambling and the casinos will they suddenly be deemed to be "Marxists"!

In the interim, there are only 2 choices :- ignore them/ give them the benefit of the doubt (at your own peril) or organise and vociferously oppose them to the extent that they become a threat to social cohesion and the authorities are compelled to clamp down on them. Let us be clear about this - we do not object to the religious fundamentalists organising their own religious organisations and promoting their sense of morality among their faithful. What we object to is their blatant hijacking of a secular organisation ostensibly to re-focus it when in reality they are like wolves in sheep's clothing seeking to pull the wool over our eyes by side stepping their true motives and agenda. Insidious as this is, how different is this from an act of terrorism or at the very least fascist hegemony?

Guest Non DBS customer

I am so glad this thread existed.

We should all stand together to clips the wings of these religious fanatics before they fly out of hand.

For whatever action you want to do, please do it LEGALLY... do not let them have another opportunity to brag to the society that we are "harmful" to the society.

Hit them where it hurts the most - their pocket.

For me:

- I have decided that I will still keep my DBS/ POSB cards, but I will not use them

- I will avoid all lifeline clinics

Well done!...

I will do the same.... 'boycott' all lifeline clinics and DBS/POSB.

Guest Guest

I don't understand why you guys choose to target DBS.

They tried to help. They were the first to disassociate with Josie Lau. And even they are intimidated now. Should you make them your continued allies and try to get them to remove Josie Lau?

If you need a company to vent this on, go for the source. Go for the head. Thio Su Mien.

She is a director in M1.

Consider how loss of words Josie Lau was previous. And how after Mdm Thio comes out, she's so fluent about all the death threats etc. Who's the head here?

To catch the crook, shoot the king first.

As a director, Thio is not in charge of the operation and sales, so whether M1 sink or float, it is hard to pinpoint her.

However in the case of DBS, Lau is held responsible for the credit card results. Any significant drop in results will drastically impact on her, esp after her public rebutted DBS. Not to mention their recent support of FoTF, whereas M1 till now has been orientation-neutral in their operation.

while it is true that catching the king is important, sometimes snapping off the feathers of the bird will keep it grounded...

Guest Guest

You place far too much emphasis on Josie Lau. She is a pawn. The elder herself said she had counselled many children into her followers across the years.

You remove Josie Lau. Some other high flyer comes in. And it would be standard chartered next. Or OCBC. Or UOB.

How you compell M1 to reevaluate her, is dependent of how you execute your campaign.

Look at it this way, she retains the position year after year, despite her renowned law firm. At age 71. Why?

Stand Down Josie! (and her gang, who ain't no pussycats!)

i said i see no joy

i see only sorrow

i see no chance of your bright new tomorrow

so stand down Josie

stand down please

stand down down down down down

down down down down down

i say stand down Josie

stand down please

down down down down down

stand down Josie

stand down please

stand down Josie

i say stand down Josie

stand down please

down down down down down

down down down down down

down down down down down

down down down down down

you tell me how can it work with your all fundie laws

what a short sharp lesson,

what a third world war

i sometimes wonder if i'll ever get the chance

just to sit with my family in a pink-spot jam

our lives seem petty in your cold grey hands

would you give a second thought

would you ever give a damn, i doubt it

stand down Josie Awhoa

everybody shout it

stand down Josie!

work, fundie laws

shell shock

world war

war, war, war, war, war

war, war, war, war, war

war, war, war, war, war

war, war, war, war, war

war, war, war, war, war

stand down please

stand down Josie

stand down please

stand down Josie

i say stand down Josie

stand down please

stand down Josie

stand down Josie

stand down please

stand down Josie

i say stand down Josie

stand down please

stand down Josie

Sung to tune of "Stand Down Margaret" by The English Beat

Guest Drama Queen

wALAo E ..........

The Saga Drama more and more interesting and wondering what are the new exco's real intention

Now they change locks on the office as soon as they took seats and hold press conference adding new position of the Feminism Advisor??? Who is expert on Law on mother on MP

I think the old guards will be defeated soon as now they already like hijacking AWARE

first enter as member, plot to seize the whole exco seats, now changed locks .....

So sudden memberships shut up to more than 800+ now

Wondering what their EOGM can do to block this plotters, will the EOGM using voting to determine results?

If so will the 800+ (most new member elligible to vote? the last exco voting's saga will make comeback? all new member vote the new exco's interest to stand on as new face of AWARE)

They publicly already said in press old guard's activities far out of the "scope" (They r new birds how can they claim what is the real scope) one of them promote Lesbianism ( i feel sick to hear in news on this)

Worse ha we male cant join and vote, so if u have any sisters or whoever feel wanna fight back and stand for equality. ask her to join AWARE and vote for new exco's to b disolved

(sound like Thai politics now)

So if indeed new exco's real cant be get rid of, what will be the effect of their new "concepts" that so call back to what AWARE shud do?

They will promote killing all of us PLU?

http://www.flixxy.com/wildlife-adventure-cougar-bear.htm

Whoever shot theses pictures has related an amazing story in itself....

Whoever set the rule that animal must fight one another ...

Whoever blame human beings for doing so should think very hard for an answer

let's help the old guard in whatever way we can during their recruitment drive this weekend.

Guest old guard

Very emotional video, I felt touched by the cub struggling against the tyrants. Let's have this up in every blog to garner support for the old guard and not let them get bullied. I will start puttng it up in TOC, anyone know of other forums can do likewise to sensationalise the saga with this video since it speaks louder than words and better than Thio Su Mien own drama.

I was watching the news where poor Josie almost cracked up at the news conference. Aww.. I almost wanted to give her a hug until I realised, goodness, she looks like a man.

We finally hear from the Government - see the last few paragraphs.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin.../424660/1/.html

AWARE exco says centre's services unaffected by new security system

By Cheryl Lim, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 24 April 2009 1908 hrs

SINGAPORE: The new exco of the Association of Women for Action and Research (AWARE) has given the assurance that the services which the organisation provides to the public at its office in Dover Crescent will not be affected by the installation of a new security system.

On Thursday night, the exco ordered the centre's locks to be changed, drawing huge objections from members of the Old Guard.

The new exco said only eight members will be able to access the centre after opening hours using the new electronic keys. They also defended their decision to fire the centre's manager, Schutz Lee.

AWARE vice president, Charlotte Wong, told Channel NewsAsia on Friday that Ms Lee would not take instructions from them.

While they prefer to discuss with Ms Lee about her job performance privately, the former manager had wanted them to explain their reasons in front of several members of the Old Guard on Thursday night.

Meanwhile, online forums are abuzz with activity. Netizens have started a petition, encouraging others to support their campaign against the new exco.

According to the new exco, all the online chatter about the issue is taking focus away from the real work they want to do. They said it is extremely distracting and they just want to concentrate on achieving their objectives.

But the Old Guard members in AWARE said what has happened with the group is a threat to Singapore's pluralistic society.

A statement just released on Friday said the Old Guard members are glad that the "truth is finally out" – that the new AWARE exco members had a "planned takeover... guided by a feminist mentor".

It added that "this cannot be the way forward for Singapore", which "cannot have people acting like moral vigilante running around and taking over established organisations".

The Old Guard, in a statement read by member Margaret Thomas on Friday evening, also challenged Dr Thio Su Mien, who has said she is the "feminist mentor" to the new exco, to form her own organisation to offer her points of view.

They also said the challenge should have been "done properly" by writing in to AWARE or by inviting the organisation to discuss the programmes.

Separately, Minister in the Prime Minister's Office Lim Hwee Hua is of the view that the AWARE saga is not a national dispute and should not upset the balance and tenor of Singapore's open, tolerant and secular society.

In an email response to Channel NewsAsia, Mrs Lim said the dispute in AWARE is an internal matter, something which the members themselves would have to address.

She stressed that AWARE members should not allow these disagreements to become a vehicle for contentious, divisive views to be pushed aggressively.

Mrs Lim, who is also Second Minister for Finance and Transport, said this would polarise society and have a very adverse effect on Singapore's social fabric.

Also asked about his take on the issue is Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean who stressed the need for all interest groups in Singapore to put their points of view across in a tolerant way and not force their views on others.

Mr Teo did not touch on the specifics, but said that Singaporeans need to learn to live with others who have different views.

- CNA/so

• G_M changed the title to AWARE Saga of 2009 (compiled)
  • G_M unlocked this topic
  • Guest locked this topic