Male HQ

Yummy Wanton Noodles

Was recommended by a friend to try out this wanton noodle stall located at Hong Lim Complex Hawker Centre 2nd floor. Must admit that I was pretty reluctant and skeptical at the beginning. However, after trying out the noodles, the noodles texture is one of the best I have tried...and the wanton! THAT wanton...really leave behind a great fantastic impression.

29072009213.jpg

This noodle house is located on the 2nd floor of the hawker centre, #02-47. The owner said that the hawker centre will be closed for renovation in 3 months time, of which he will be taking a 1 year break before selling again at the renovated hawker centre.

Edited by chubbylover

THIS SHOP!!!!

yes!!!!!

you must also try the clay pot dishes he cooks!!!

clay pot beef... bring your own XO... you will never taste something so powerful... for so good a price!!

clay pot rice wine chicken wings... wa lau... dun say i never warn you... bring a Brands Essence of Chicken and pour into the soup also... you will have such a hard on...... damn...

and his see you chicken wings... not for the faint hearted...

those watching their diet, have fatty food restrictions, touch oil will die type... stay away...

this is totally not for the healthy minded... but it's totally for the 'original good food taste' minded... very very 'kumpong' style... very very 'authentic' in his creations...

yum....

THIS SHOP!!!!

yes!!!!!

you must also try the clay pot dishes he cooks!!!

clay pot beef... bring your own XO... you will never taste something so powerful... for so good a price!!

clay pot rice wine chicken wings... wa lau... dun say i never warn you... bring a Brands Essence of Chicken and pour into the soup also... you will have such a hard on...... damn...

those watching their diet, have fatty food restrictions, touch oil will die type... stay away...

this is totally not for the healthy minded... but it's totally for the 'original good food taste' minded... very very 'kumpong' style... very very 'authentic' in his creations...

yum....

Baloo, they paid u advertisement fee ha...

Well, I think worth to give it a try with Baloo strong recommendation.

Baloo, they paid u advertisement fee ha...

Well, I think worth to give it a try with Baloo strong recommendation.

hahaha... he never paid me anything... if anything I paid lots to eat there... haha...

I just share good food sites (and it's a known fact that everyone'e taste for food is different) that I think others might enjoy.

If you dun like it, it's just that our taste for food is different lor... but if you agree it's good, you can look foward to my other recommendations - our taste buds are 'similiar' and we may enjoy the same style of food...

so no harm to give it a try ma... in any case, he will be gone 15-18 months after the place closes for renovation... after that the taste will be different leow...

haha...

hahaha... he never paid me anything... if anything I paid lots to eat there... haha...

I just share good food sites (and it's a known fact that everyone'e taste for food is different) that I think others might enjoy.

If you dun like it, it's just that our taste for food is different lor... but if you agree it's good, you can look foward to my other recommendations - our taste buds are 'similiar' and we may enjoy the same style of food...

so no harm to give it a try ma... in any case, he will be gone 15-18 months after the place closes for renovation... after that the taste will be different leow...

haha...

I fully agree. It is very difficult to find someone out there having similar taste buds! If so, quite sure can have more fun other than food..ha ha ha

When is renovation date? Just too bad, I am oversea now.

Baloo, what the hell is his see you chicken wings? He sees you and then he cooks the chicken wings? What is he don't see you? Is the chicken wings still available?

Wah liao, you and him got some kind of agreement is it? What other things he see you he cooks for you? Mee siam mai hum? :D

Please play safely! Use a condom if you are having anal sex.

Baloo, what the hell is his see you chicken wings? He sees you and then he cooks the chicken wings? What is he don't see you? Is the chicken wings still available?

Wah liao, you and him got some kind of agreement is it? What other things he see you he cooks for you? Mee siam mai hum? :D

I think what Baloo meant is "si yau', or soy sauce chicken wings.

Its really got nothing much to do with seeing you or me or who.

That store has got this very nice traditional dish - rice wine chicken w/ black fungus (mu er), something you cant find easily here. Its quite popular in Malaysia, especially in Ipoh.

Here, together with pig trotters w/ young ginger in black vinegar, they are traditional confinement cooking for the cantonese.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just had Ji Ji Wanton noodles for lunch, it is awful.

I could not finish the $3 portion.

Major peeve is the noodles... it is unlike springier thinner noodles (Hk style) used for wanton nooodles.

The way its cooked, causes the noodles to clump together.

The black used is not fragrant or savoury.

But to be fair, the $3 portion is chock a block with ingredients.

Personally, I'll recommend the Happy wanton noodles from Bukit Timah FC

Just had Ji Ji Wanton noodles for lunch, it is awful.

I could not finish the $3 portion.

Major peeve is the noodles... it is unlike springier thinner noodles (Hk style) used for wanton nooodles.

The way its cooked, causes the noodles to clump together.

The black used is not fragrant or savoury.

But to be fair, the $3 portion is chock a block with ingredients.

Personally, I'll recommend the Happy wanton noodles from Bukit Timah FC

haha the one recommended is 4-5 stalls next to the ji ji one... there is a GREAT difference but not hong kong style. it's the OLD singapore style... if you dunno what it is, you can try it there... it's really for those who know what a valuable find this is... and his sui gao... oh well, it's great for me... dunno about you...

yes i know the hong kong style one... the best one is at Tiong Bahru (the market one is only the branch run by the son) the main one is at the corner coffee shop facing the escalator corner of the TBmarket...

their char siew, wan tan and sui gao, plus roast duck and roast meat... hard to find a close substitute for the price u pay... also must try their si yao chicken... for the hong kong style... the owner was once a key chef in pan pacific's hai tien lou if i am not mistaken...

• 2 weeks later...

Last time there used to be a very famous WANTON Mee stall at Tiong Bahru coffeeshop ie. the coffeshop facing the main road (whereby the current newly converted hotels are). It was managed by a cantonese couple and a daughter. They used to count the no. of noodles before cooking and its noodles (mixed with eggs) were very nice eg. those you eat in high class chinese/cantonese restaurants. It was LONG Q those days but it seemed that since the old couples passed away, the new generation sold off the shop.

Any members know which shop I'm saying and tried the noodles before ? :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I started eating the Eminent Plaza Hawker Centre Wanton mee. It is expensive for hawker food standard but it is really nice. Although the look of the noodle is not anything to scream about but the noodles and gravy taste good. The only peeve is the long queue.

Also tasted the noodle at Hong Lim Park Food court. Agree. It is nice.

I missed the wanton noodles stall during my childhood days. The few stores around my old neighbourhood, like all other traditional papa & mama stores never really past on to the next generation. I still have fond memories of the taste but can never find any stores in Sg now that could come close to it, maybe except the Eminent Plaza store.

Recently I started eating the Eminent Plaza Hawker Centre Wanton mee. It is expensive for hawker food standard but it is really nice. Although the look of the noodle is not anything to scream about but the noodles and gravy taste good. The only peeve is the long queue.

Also tasted the noodle at Hong Lim Park Food court. Agree. It is nice.

I missed the wanton noodles stall during my childhood days. The few stores around my old neighbourhood, like all other traditional papa & mama stores never really past on to the next generation. I still have fond memories of the taste but can never find any stores in Sg now that could come close to it, maybe except the Eminent Plaza store.

U like the wontan noodle in the Lavender St Food Court? OK..... just show why there are those who would queue for them... I tried it... and really did not like it... sorry...

much prefer the Beijing Kitchen diagonally opposite next to the desserts stall... the guo tie and xiaolong bao and ju par mien... haha... yum...

Aiyah, taste is subjective lah. Anyway, I mentioned that the reason I liked the wanton mee there is because it reminded me of the old taste I had when I was young. The wanton mee in most of the stall nowadays are just chilli and ketchup. The traditional Cantonese wanton mee had a very crucial ingredient; the gravy. I remember it only when I saw that Eminent stall adds it to the mee, which in turns gave the wanton mee it's unique taste.

I remember when I was a kid, I used to go to my neighbouring stall and the uncle there usually make his own mee by hand in the early morning and when he cooks the mee, beside having chilli, they will add some soup stock onto the mee. Also they will throw in the wanton into the pot and cook the wanton together with the noodle. The wanton will be fished out and later placed into the bow. The wanton will be floating like goldfish swimming in the small bowl.

Nowadays, they cook the wanton and leave all the wanton on a plate and when needed, the wanton will then be put into the bowl and hot soup added, the wanton will be lumpy and the taste of the wanton is not hot sometimes even cold. Which irks me very much. Hated those lazy ways of cooking.

Update on the closure of the marketplace for extensive renovations.. the date has been moved back to March 2010... so you can go try this stall - remember ... its a few stalls down from the 'famous' ji ji one... old man cooking - I always try not to go during peak hours... he cooks best when under little or no pressure to deliver fast...

best time to go - daily 7.30 pm... they close around 8.15pm...

Sunday closed... dun go on Sundays...

:thumb: :thumb:

• 3 weeks later...

was there again last nite... recommended me the chicken leg claypot... for $4

I was in heaven.....

OK those dunno how to eat chicken legs, forget about it... you only get those plus some braised mushroom slices... the dish is about chicken legs... gosh... still thinking about it this morning... got to post it

:thumb:

Last time there used to be a very famous WANTON Mee stall at Tiong Bahru coffeeshop ie. the coffeshop facing the main road (whereby the current newly converted hotels are). It was managed by a cantonese couple and a daughter. They used to count the no. of noodles before cooking and its noodles (mixed with eggs) were very nice eg. those you eat in high class chinese/cantonese restaurants. It was LONG Q those days but it seemed that since the old couples passed away, the new generation sold off the shop.

Any members know which shop I'm saying and tried the noodles before ? :rolleyes:

Yes, I tried and it is good. His son has opened a stall in Zion Road's corner coffeeshop next to the food centre.

For those who like wan tan noodles, you can try Tiong Bahru market's Zhong Yu Yuan Wei Wantan Noodles. It is being prepared the way GM described in his last posting.

learn to see the sparkle in others. not just the flaw.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.