Male HQ

Fried Hor Fun 杂锦河粉

Any Recomendation for a good old style Fried Hor Fun !

I mean the Thick Gravy paste type, not the dry fried.

the traditional style strong "Wok Mei" "Wok hei" 锅底味 or 锅气

the ingredients other than the usual Prawns, slice fish, sotong, and must have mussels.

although is commonly sell at any coffee shop ze-char stall, but is hard to find a stall or restaurant that can cook a old fashion style good old taste.

any body tired at any where which is good to recomend?

20081227_461e9b476081616a5309RpxeX0WwNy72.jpg

Edited by StockyMature

Yeah, missed those really good Fried Hor Fun where they fry on order and the Hor Fun were fried till slightly burnt with some oil and a bit of soy sauce. Then they cook seperately the accompanying ingredients - pork, liver, shrimps, sotong, fish slices, choysum, beaten egg, etc and pour over the Hor Fun.

These days, the Hor Fun were only slightly fried in large batches and coloured with dark soy sauce instead.

Worse, especially in those air-con food court, almost everything were pre-cooked. Its just warmed up and served. Yucks!

But I actually have a preference for 干炒豉汁牛河。Anyone know where got?

The wettish one beef hor fun is famously at Geylang Lor 9.

Mass produced now... but still good.

The dry one I like at this place used to be the Parkland Golf Range. They had a restaurant there... not expensive - $6 for a plate, large portion too... nice dry dark hor fun with generous amount of beef...

elsewhere i think they use too much tendorisor.. the beef lost a lot of the texture and flavour... (even Lor 9) borders on this...

But I think Chinatown should have a good few shops doing this well - Toh Kee, Yee Kee, Tuck Kee, etc shud have a mean beef hor fun, and the mean sauced hor fun as well...

Traditional super wok power type... dunno Stirling Road that coffeeshop still have or not... been ages since went there to eat.

anywhere else? Let me recall and add later...

interesting. how is hor fun like in the 60s and how different is it from now?

my favourite hor fun came from a taiwanese vegetarian tze-cha stall. it used to be situated at bedok south, now it has moved to bedok north, where botak jones is. it has very well-executed wok's breath, but the downside is there's no meat, only mock meat. dunno how the standard is now, though, haven't patronised the stall for a year.

i've tasted so many disappointing hor fun, it's depressing. nowadays i've switched to san lao he fun (三捞河粉). anyone has any solid ones in the east to recommend?

I gave up eating Hor Fun long time ago after I found that they mass produce the way CockBrand has mentioned.

Recently I tried the 香底米粉 at Sultan Plaza Food Court (former Diamond's building) and have been going back there every week.

Many years ago, I tried 香底河粉 at a shop near my parent's home in Serangoon Road. That flavour stuck to my head. I was glad to find 香底米粉 at Sultan Plaza and tried it. Though it was not as fantastic as the one I had many years back. It is still tasty. Would recommend that store. Btw, they also sell cooked food.

Guest YUTAKA

I love the hor fun also, my version used to be served with hai shen ( sea cucumber cut into bite size portions , it was in the late 70's when I was a child, including other of the seafood ingredients.

The reason why it was so yummy then was pork lard was used to violently fry the thick kway teow to caramelise the exterior of the kway teow so that it had a burnt yet slightly sweet taste, yes in those days it was cooked batched by batch as customers ordered and I remeber long queues for Fried Hor Fun.

Nowadays a lot of restaurant take short cut by frying the thin kway teow noodles in industrial grade and refined pork lard mixed with vegetable oil hydrogenated trans fat.

Occasionaly enjoy hor fun , cause the oil they use today is no longer the pure self made pork lard oil with the crispy skins.

heard a new tze-cha stall near Clementi interchange sells hor fun that is not bad. well cooked,

hot: beacuse cooked after the customer order. not just pouring the hor fun into the hot gravy over, and giving it a toss.

Food Court and restaurant hor fun don't ussually taste very good. The gravy and wok power (锅气) needs improving!

san lao he fun (三捞河粉)? There's one near AIA buliding alexandra, think it is listed in mankansutra guide, anyone tried it??

Seems to have quite a lot of bean sprout (which I do not like very much!)

• 2 weeks later...

for 三捞河粉 i used to like the HK Street Chen Qi in Commonwealth Lane. nicely fried and large chunk of fish meat (not those thinly slice ones)

Together with prawn pasted chicken and XO fish bee hoon, the trinity was a must-ordered dishes

After commonwealth lane underwent renovation, that stall seemed to have lost the magic.

As for the normal 河粉, agreed that nowadays, it been so mass produced, no more wok heat. The worst was the famous geylang beef hor fun that Baloo said. The last time I ate there, I saw how they prepared, basically a big tub of pre-fried hor fun and a big pot of pre-cooked gravy. When there was an order, the server just scoped the hor fun, poured the gravy and served! All within 1 minute! Honestly the taste wasnt the worst, it was this kind of food attitude they treated the dishes and those customers who supported

Edited by Baloo

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

huh. how come baloo can amend oralb's post?

recently i tried a new dish called XO hokkien mee in a bedok kopi thiam. one serving (for 1-2 pax) costs $10 and comes with lots of oysters (in a hokkien mee dish?) and a hint of XO so subtle that i cant tell whether they really added XO.

have you guys seen such variations of hor fun? ie, XO hor fun or some luxury / deluxe versions of hor fun? how much is it, and is it worth the price?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.