Male HQ

The New Ipad

I'm an apple fan but I won't buy the iPad. Why ?

1) iBooks store are for U.S. only. You can't buy books from Singapore. Same for iTunes music store. Only App store available here.

2) The 3G version uses a microSIM card which is not available in Singapore. But SingTel says it wouldn't be a problem to implement.

3) The 3G version cannot be use for voice call although iPad has a built in microphone. 3G network only for data and browsing.

4) Missing frontal and photo camera. No video call and no video conferencing iChat and no instant photo shoot.

5) No multi-tasking

6) No desktop class software. Apple only manage to port over iWorks. What about 3rd party productivity software ?

7) It doesn't fall between an iphone or a notebook category as it is only a portable media consumption device(PMP).

8) An iPhone does everything iPad does except it is in a small screen.

9) There is no hardware GPS. Only cellular assisted GPS and online maps.

10) Lacks USB port. Require to use Apple's proprietry port.

11) Lacks Adobe Flash. It means over 70% of the web content using Flash video and animation wouldn't play. Same problem for iPhone

Online polling results is out. More than 50% of the people won't buy iPad. We expect at least a tablet computer but Apple gives us a portable entertainment device. :yuk: But i do agree the animation and GUI is a bit more amazing as compared to iPhone. But that is not going to last because all these GUI effects are there since the born of the first iPhone in 2007. I believe most of us will not buy iPad. Why not save your money and wait till June/July and buy the iPhone 4G ? If you need a computer, buying a MacBook Pro or iMac is much wiser. :lol:

Edited by ixmog

I would probably get it once it gets to Singapore, for very simple reasons, i hardly do anything on my laptop other than surf the net, facebook, chat on msn and work with photos. I don't see the iPad as a laptop/computer replacement at all. Plus i read books and magazines on my iphone, so would be good to have a much larger screen.

with regards to some points brought up, the big border is there for a reason, imagine if u are reading or watching a movie and are holding the iPad, where would u put ur fingers? the border is there so you won't be blocking any content on the screen.

camera for taking photos, not sure how holding up a huge slate like that and snapping photos would be a good idea, would feel cumbersome. of course if u are talking about taking self pics then its a different story, but would still feel weird imo. As for webcamming, not sure how Apple could have put the video lens in a position that would make it easy to webcam (esp if u are typing on the on-screen keyboard), maybe have to dock or something.

Only think i dislike is the lack of Flash, but apparently flash-based apps can work, so it up to developers to work something out....but most unlikely for pxxn site. :)

Think Apple is smart to limit functions, at least on a initial design. just focus on functions that work well. (unlike other companies like MS, promise many many things, include many many things, then while they all work, but only to a certain extent)You see the same pattern with iPhone series, every iteration, just focusing on making things work better. of course newer technology would arise, then future iterations of iPad might include some of the functions that everyone is craving.

iPad is like the Wii, simple, intuitive and works.

I will probably wait till the second generation. The main thing that attracts me is the tie-in with iWork, and since I give a lot of presentations with Keynote, this beats lugging a MacBook Air. Also I love reading and have been wanting to get an Amazon Kindle, but held back due to the iPad. When I move a while back, lugging 3 boxes of books is really too much not to mention the ones I gave away before.

Love. 

If you look at the history of iPhone, iPad early adapters will be those with some money to spend to look "IN". The next few generation of iPad will be the mass market preference.

I would agree on the notion that it is just a XL version of iPod Touch (not even iPhone)

Other than the price point, iPad doesnt really look that attractive, then again, with that price, you can get a decent performance netbook, which can perform those functions stated (though less glam)

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

Seriously, it's such a waste after many years of research in making the Apple iPad. Indeed, there are many advance technologies built into the iPad. But Apple had made a mistake in positioning iPad as a media device rather than as a multi-touch portable computer tablet. Apple had success in the iPhone, iPod and iTunes store. But that doesn't mean that repeating the same stategy will make them successful for the iPad. The response by large are disappointment. Now, the PC world of Windows and Microsoft will be laughing at Apple fans. Now and after iPad had been unveiled, it's very easy to predict what's next. Apple most probably will throw in a GPS, a camera, a faster CPU, more RAM, more storage in the next version in 2011. The iPad will not be a wanted product until it evolves into a tablet that runs desktop version of software in future. For the moment, it will be a toy to show off to friends for those with extra cash. It's just a portable media player and e-book reader with multi-touch technology. In history and not forgeting, Apple had it's fair share of failed invention. Example the Newton, G3 Cube Mac, Apple TV ... Good luck for those that still insist to buy. :lol:

Edited by ixmog

Seriously, it's such a waste after many years of research in making the Apple iPad. Indeed, there are many advance technologies built into the iPad. But Apple had made a mistake in positioning iPad as a media device rather than as a multi-touch portable computer tablet. Apple had success in the iPhone, iPod and iTunes store. But that doesn't mean that repeating the same stategy will make them successful for the iPad. The response by large are disappointment. Now, the PC world of Windows and Microsoft will be laughing at Apple fans. Now and after iPad had been unveiled, it's very easy to predict what's next. Apple most probably will throw in a GPS, a camera, a faster CPU, more RAM, more storage in the next version in 2011. The iPad will not be a wanted product until it evolves into a tablet that runs desktop version of software in future. For the moment, it will be a toy to show off to friends for those with extra cash. It's just a portable media player and e-book reader with multi-touch technology. In history and not forgeting, Apple had it's fair share of failed invention. Example the Newton, G3 Cube Mac, Apple TV ... Good luck for those that still insist to buy. :lol:

despite what you guys said that makes sense.. me still apple fanboy.. might buy..

and there's a windows tablet pc still hiding in the curtains, isnt it? might blow ipad away !

"Computers are like air-conditioners. They work fine until you start opening windows"

(1) You can register a US-based iTunes Media Store account and purchase iTunes Gift Card through legitimate online stores to buy stuff from US iTMS. Blame the publishers and the local IPOS agencies for the state of iTMS in Singapore. I think they want more money than their counterparts in US. Remember the hurdle faced by HMV Singapore when they want to put digital download kiosks in Singapore but eventually have to move them out to Hong Kong because the local IPOS agencies wanted higher fees.

(4) Maybe in the next version there will be a camera since the APIs are already in iPhone OS 3.2. Maybe Apple is waiting for a slim camera as thin as the iPad that can rotate at the edge of the iPad for front and back shooting.

(5) You do know that multi-tasking sucks juice from the battery like thirsty daemons. Is there any netbook or tablet device that can last for 10 hours of regular use on one full charge?

(11) Adobe Flash is a resource hog. Try installing ClickToFlash on your Apple Mac computer and see how fast your web pages load without Flash. ClickToFlash is a Safari plug-in that allows you to load Flash files on demand or based on URL names.

I am still reserving judgement on the Apple iPad until I have gotten a chance to test run it. It was the same for the Apple iPod; I was holding out ignoring the hype until the 3rd generation after when I got a chance to try it out. I was amazed at the ease of use with the click wheel at that time.

@victorp

1) As what u mentioned regarding a registered US iTunes store account to buy stuff, do note you need a US issued credit card account. Without a US credit card bank account. You are back to square one.

4) It is already known that the iPhone SDK 3.2 support a camera module. Apple's stategy in product introduction is evolution. History tells. This is same as what happened to the first 2G iPhone launched in 2007. It makes sense to buy the iPad only when it is in the 2nd to 3rd generation of the product cycle. Good example is the iPhone. iPhone 3GS launched in 2009 is at least an almost complete full functionality product. So to say that those that buy the 1st generation iPad are ginea pigs :lol:

5) For a tablet to run desktop class of software, it must both possess a desktop varient of OSX operating system coupled with multi-tasking capability and on top of that Apple must work out the battery life. There are no excuse of not providing multi-tasking OS environment due to short battery life. Factors to consider is to used ultra low voltage CPU with power saving features in the latest 32nm wafer fabrication process. Integration of graphic engine, memory controller and I/O in the whole chip is also another solution. Just like what Apple had done with the iPad A4 processor.

11) yes I agree. Adobe Flash is a resource hog but it is inevitable. Majority of the web content are using it. Apple has to implement in some way no matter how. By the way, Apple tried to cheat in this area. Steve Jobs was doing his demo on iPad during keynotes. He browsed to the web pages of The New York Times and the Flash content doesn't load. Apple promo materials online shows the same web pages with the flash content loaded. What do you think ? Ha ha ... :lol:

To be fair ... If you need a portable media consumption device with cool factors. Buy the iPad to show off.

If you need a notebook category of computers for more productive work then buy a Macbook Pro or iMac.

By the way, the new range of Macbook Pro running latest Intel duo core i5 & i7 "Arrandale" CPU will be launching soon. Those intend to buy Macbook Pro better wait a bit. It may couple with iLife 2010 which will be announced in the later month.

Edited by ixmog

by now you have seen this movie clips a hundred times, each with a different subtitle theme, here's the iPad theme. Must say it is creative to incorporate matching text to speech

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnT0zp8Ya4

1) As what u mentioned regarding a registered US iTunes store account to buy stuff, do note you need a US issued credit card account. Without a US credit card bank account. You are back to square one.

there is an option to create a iTunes account with just the gift card, then again the gift cards are only avail in the US. But if you are traveling to the US or can get friends to send back, you can set up a pre-paid account.

(5) You do know that multi-tasking sucks juice from the battery like thirsty daemons. Is there any netbook or tablet device that can last for 10 hours of regular use on one full charge?

I do know that Multitasking sucks battery life like crazy, but it is a case of functionality vs capacity as well. for iPhone in order to have longer battery life, you can turn off 3G, data roaming, wifi, bluetooth etc, which seriously downplay the iPhone usefulness as a online accessing device.

Very seldom people will use their iPod touch for 10 hours straight off (that's different from iPhone due to the phone standby period) I would not mind have multitasking with only 5 hours of battery life.

Sigh... So many logical arguments... I will still buy though... Why?

I like the big screen.

I like that I do not need to put it on my lap to use.

I can live without all the things that everyone is asking for in the iPad.

So, I am not such a fanboy that I am buying it just because... I am buying because I find it worth my money. Of course, until the new one comes along (that is what most would say, right?). Haha... Well, it is not like the new one will be coming in the same year... So hard to persuade an impractical person...

But then I was never one to switch so fast. I am still with my first generation macbook air that cannot play any hd content (need to bring it in for repair soon, i fear for the gaping hole in my air). and I hope to hold on to my iphone 3gs (never used any earlier versions) for as long as possible until die die must upgrade.

Now, in iPad lust mode... :whistle: :whistle:

"i acknowledge your opinion and i hope you can acknowledge mine"- a wise man once told me...

@ixmog

(1) As oralb points out, you don't need any credit card to open a US-based iTunes Store as long as you have a iTunes gift card. Visit http://itunesgiftcard.biz for more information (and I am no way affiliated with itunesgiftcard.biz except as a satisfied customer).

(5) Steve Jobs has positioned the Apple iPad as between the iPod Touch / iPhone and MacBook (Air/Pro) so I will not really say it is a desktop class but more of a hybrid towards a personal media centre. Unfortunate battery technology has not advanced as fast as computer technology to make a battery that can provide longer power in a slim form factor. In making it last 10 hours on just one charge means it aims to be used on a typical day for things like diary, address book, photo albums, "walkman", books/magazine, social networking, watching movies/TV shows, etc. just by bringing in a light weight device with a decent size and easy-to-read screen. I will like multitasking as well...

(11) By now, you will have known that Apple has taken down the image and put up one that does not have flash and another one showing a blank square where Flash content is supposed to be displayed.

Anyway, it is nice to chat with another Mac user even though we may have differing opinions on Apple products. :)

Anyway, it is nice to chat with another Mac user even though we may have differing opinions on Apple products. :)

Doesn't matter on the different points of view on a product. Just chat about it so everyone aware before they buy. About the 3G iPad that require microSIM, we know that AT&T gonna offer it as an unlock set with no contract. What about in Singapore ? I believe it will remain unlock in Singapore as TAS don't allow product locked to a telco network. Imagine you need to buy a data plan and microSIM with Singtel. So to say, will Singtel offer a 2 year contract for the data plan with subsidized iPad purchase? Or can one with iPhone plan just purchase a microSIM with the same mobile number to use the data plan offer by iPhone plan on the iPad ?

I'm waiting for iLife 2010 and iWorks 2010 trial so that it will bundle with the new mac I intend to buy this year. I'm considering getting the 27 inch i7 quad core iMac with 8Gb of RAM and 2Tb of hard disk. Or maybe buying the 15 inch Macbook Pro with the mobile duo core i7 arrandale CPU. Presently, I'm using a Core2Duo MacBook Pro but I realized I don't need a notebook as it doesn't leave my house. So a 27 inch desktop iMac will be a better choice. I have bad vision. A big screen will help. :lol:

Edited by ixmog

Doesn't matter on the different points of view on a product. Just chat about it so everyone aware before they buy. About the 3G iPad that require microSIM, we know that AT&T gonna offer it as an unlock set with no contract. What about in Singapore ? I believe it will remain unlock in Singapore as TAS don't allow product locked to a telco network. Imagine you need to buy a data plan and microSIM with Singtel. So to say, will Singtel offer a 2 year contract for the data plan with subsidized iPad purchase? Or can one with iPhone plan just purchase a microSIM with the same mobile number to use the data plan offer by iPhone plan on the iPad ?

No one knows except between Apple and Singtel / rest of local telcos until middle of this year.

I'm waiting for iLife 2010 and iWorks 2010 trial so that it will bundle with the new mac I intend to buy this year. I'm considering getting the 27 inch i7 quad core iMac with 8Gb of RAM and 2Tb of hard disk. Or maybe buying the 15 inch Macbook Pro with the mobile duo core i7 arrandale CPU. Presently, I'm using a Core2Duo MacBook Pro but I realized I don't need a notebook as it doesn't leave my house. So a 27 inch desktop iMac will be a better choice. I have bad vision. A big screen will help. :lol:

Isn't it clear-cut? :) The top-of-the-line 27-inch iMac, of course! ;)

Or maybe the Mac Pro... :whistle:

Interesting article to read

Apple makes $208 on each $499 iPad

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9150045/Apple_makes_208_on_each_499_iPad?taxonomyId=163&pageNumber=1

That means there is a lot of room for price adjustment, which Apple has been (in)famously doing. So for the early adapters, they will be forking our 499 to sponsor later buyers.

Interesting article to read

Apple makes $208 on each $499 iPad

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9150045/Apple_makes_208_on_each_499_iPad?taxonomyId=163&pageNumber=1

That means there is a lot of room for price adjustment, which Apple has been (in)famously doing. So for the early adapters, they will be forking our 499 to sponsor later buyers.

I hope the later buyers will be happy with this knowledge of how we are sponsoring them then... Haha... I now have a camp of 21 friends who will buy the iPad. But still too early huh. No idea how much it will be here and how much the microsim will be. Ahhh... The lust is taking over... Making the iPad my wallpaper now... Haha... Soon, lame ass t-shirts and accesorries... :lol:

"i acknowledge your opinion and i hope you can acknowledge mine"- a wise man once told me...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My bro's gf bought one from the US and I played with it for a while..and I felt the same excitement I had when I first held the iPhone in my hands. It is magical. Everything is beautiful from the glass to the graphics...have to hold it to appreciate it. But it is not light and the screen smudges easily.

one guy.one lifetime

just tried it for myself in boston. it is quite heavy, and you will get tired after a few minutes of holding it in your hands. many people don't realise how heavy the ipad is as they don't lift the ipads from the tabletops when they test the ipads out in the shops (from what i've observed). i got tired after holding it for about a minute of holding it in one hand.

(the nook, in comparison, is really light, and comfortable to hold for extended periods of time)

that said, the screen is really gorgeous. stunning graphics, and surfing on it is a breeze.

Edited by akated

jingle-bitch screwed me over

go to hell jingle-whore

go to hell

go to hell

go to he-l-l

Hi,

1. I ask from the Apple store in Orchard Central. In States, the iPad would be launched soon, but worldwide would be 60 days later, so I think it would be available in July onwards in Singapore...

I have placed order with them.

after i have use it, I will report here.

Edited by GKS

Guest Guest

unless u have money to spend, if not, i rather use it on a netbook.

the ipad is dumb to me...u cant do much with it. it just a bigger version of iphone.

unless u have money to spend, if not, i rather use it on a netbook.

the ipad is dumb to me...u cant do much with it. it just a bigger version of iphone.

Well remember those days when iPhone was out and everyone was so skeptical abt it. Now it literally killed other phones brand combined.

The last i heard was, iPad will generally kill Netbook and laptops will extinct in years to come.

We just have to accept the fact that Apple is taking over the world. And Justin Bieber too.

U know what they said, theres no turning back once u in the Apple wagon.

Volunteering for the underwear association for third world countries. Please donate your used underwear to me.

Guest Guest

im using iphone but i dont think it will take over the world.

the other phones just need to improve themselves.

no way i m using ipad if it doesnt provide full capability like netbook windows.

Apple will be the next Microsoft...a bully one day soon.

Guest Guest

just because of tech savvy frens are carrying one doesnt mean the entire world is using iphone la.

u have uncles, aunties, 3rd world countries, villagers still using non-iphones.

• 2 months later...

been using my dad's ipad (yes my dad's), love it.

agree, it is a larger iphone, but surfing the net on it, using grindr on it...playing plants vs zombies on it is a hoot!

been reading book on the ipad too, the free epub books, and it's really great, eyes did not hurt. tried out the wired magazine app, really good too.

it felt a bit heavy at first, but after using it after a few weeks...got used to it. now it feels ok and comfy. :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.