Male HQ

Discussion on Muscle Building, Weight Lost, Weight Gain, Gym Workout

Guest Advice, pls

I was very lean before and I don't take supplements. Whey and the rest just not doing anything to me. Tried Creatine capsules for some time. Stopped after awhile. Been ''supplement-less'' since then. You just need to eat possibly every 2 hours. Not necessarily like a buffet. Best to cut down on cardio since we burn very fast. And carry heavy weights. Just remember, if you end up taking supplements, what works for others may not work for you. 

Good luck.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

善待对人。麻烦用英文来表达信息。不是每个人都会看的懂中文 “People need to learn the art of making an argument. Often there is no

right or wrong. It's just your opinion vs someone else's opinion. How you deliver that opinion could make the difference between opening a mind,

changing an opinion or shutting the door. Sometimes folk just don't know when they've "argued" enough. Learn when to shut up."

― J'son M. Lee 

I was very lean before and I don't take supplements. Whey and the rest just not doing anything to me. Tried Creatine capsules for some time. Stopped after awhile. Been ''supplement-less'' since then. You just need to eat possibly every 2 hours. Not necessarily like a buffet. Best to cut down on cardio since we burn very fast. And carry heavy weights. Just remember, if you end up taking supplements, what works for others may not work for you. 

Good luck.

So you meant no exercise at all? Become a couch potato? lol  But I need to gain more stomach and back muscles though for my slipped disc problem.

So you meant no exercise at all? Become a couch potato? lol  But I need to gain more stomach and back muscles though for my slipped disc problem.

LOL! Of course you need to exercise. I mentioned ''carry heavy weights''. People with high metabolism can afford to eat a lot more but they have to workout regularly. 

Eating consistently is very tough for me. I tend to miss schedule especially over the weekends. Tough tough.

Snacking sounds unhealthy but that's what I do.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

善待对人。麻烦用英文来表达信息。不是每个人都会看的懂中文 “People need to learn the art of making an argument. Often there is no

right or wrong. It's just your opinion vs someone else's opinion. How you deliver that opinion could make the difference between opening a mind,

changing an opinion or shutting the door. Sometimes folk just don't know when they've "argued" enough. Learn when to shut up."

― J'son M. Lee 

Guest toot

Anyone? I have been skinny all my life. Kana slipped disc. Doctor said need to train on my stomach and back muscles.

I'm thinking of getting more flesh as well... But I can eat all kind of meat and junk food, I still cant get fat. Currently 179m/52kg. was 59kg for many many years though.

Ppl said i'm high on metabolism thats why i cant get fat. I dun wanna take on those powder or pills. Any tips?

First of all, how old are you? Have you been to the doctor to checkup for any hidden conditions.

Then enjoy splurging on food now as much as you can while you still can. You are the envy of most of us here :lol:

Once pass 30, nature will tell your body to bulk up to look more daddy like.

However if you can't wait, easy. You know what food you like so go get more and learn to be a glutton, they literally bury themselves under food.

Seeing how thin you are, you probably don't like food much. Then learn to like fatty, greasy or foods rich in butter. During the holiday season, we use tubs of butter to make sinfully rich cakes and goodies. I gained 3kg in no time. Learn to like butter and put it in everything like pasta, bread, soups, cooking eggs, vege etc I can guarantee you will balloon up in no time. If not you can find me toot. But must exercise else the fat all go to your waist and wasted.

Metabolism doesn't varies too much between different people of the same age from what I hear, it is more likely you aren't eating enough and your appetite isn't that good. You can just track your calories for a few days and see how much you are consuming.

I was recently diagnosed with a slipped disc (1 month ago) at my lower back, but I'm not as lean / skinny as you. Since then, I have been swimming everyday as instructed by the doctor. Recovery has been slow but steady and I do feel that my core muscles (abs and back), which are very weak initially, have strengthened. I wouldn't say that my core muscles have grown bigger visibly (I believe they only grow if you really focus on strength training those areas by doing exercises like deadlifts?), but I do feel much better every time after swimming.

Localised strength training of the back muscles is indeed important to strengthen the core muscles to support your spine, but I would suggest that you do that only if you feel almost no discomfort from your slipped disc. In other words, you don't feel pain anymore and have more or less recovered (takes about 6-12 weeks to recover). I did ask my doctor whether I could do pilates to strengthen the core, but he advised me against doing so for now. He also advised me against carrying heavy stuff, and told me to just focus on swimming.

For my swimming routine, I do 2 50m laps of breast stroke as warm-up, followed by alternating 50m laps of freestyle (front crawl) and breast stroke, for a total of 20 laps. Adjust your intensity according to how your back feels. I.e., if you back is pain, just lower the intensity; if you're feeling better, then feel free to increase your intensity. Since swimming is still cardio that would further increase your already high metabolism, but you still need to swim to strengthen your core muscles at the initial injury stage of slipped disc, I would suggest that you eat some protein meal (protein shake, eggs or meat etc.) immediately after your swim so as to preserve your muscles.

IMO, when I swim, I will perform every stroke with sufficient intensity such that I can feel my muscles contracting and working out as though I am lifting weights - same concept as hitting the gym I guess. Basically, you wanna make your muscles feel that they are being worked when you swim so that hopefully, they will 'adapt' to the stress by growing in strength and size. This is really the same as working out the different muscle groups (including your core) in the gym, just that you are swimming instead of lifting weights due to your slipped disc.

So far, after 5 weeks of continuous swimming, I must say that my arms, lats and chest muscles did not decrease in size or strength from the 'muscle burning' effects of swimming as a cardio exercise. My core muscles have become stronger but did not grow in size. In all, I think just swim HIIT style and make the mind-muscle connection. Not sure if this makes sense but hope it helps!

First of all, how old are you? Have you been to the doctor to checkup for any hidden conditions.

Then enjoy splurging on food now as much as you can while you still can. You are the envy of most of us here :lol:

Once pass 30, nature will tell your body to bulk up to look more daddy like.

However if you can't wait, easy. You know what food you like so go get more and learn to be a glutton, they literally bury themselves under food.

Seeing how thin you are, you probably don't like food much. Then learn to like fatty, greasy or foods rich in butter. During the holiday season, we use tubs of butter to make sinfully rich cakes and goodies. I gained 3kg in no time. Learn to like butter and put it in everything like pasta, bread, soups, cooking eggs, vege etc I can guarantee you will balloon up in no time. If not you can find me toot. But must exercise else the fat all go to your waist and wasted.

Metabolism doesn't varies too much between different people of the same age from what I hear, it is more likely you aren't eating enough and your appetite isn't that good. You can just track your calories for a few days and see how much you are consuming.

I'm 39 this coming Sept... Yah, old man liao... I eat mac, KFC, ice cream, junk food, also end up the same one. I hate vegetables. LOL

I was recently diagnosed with a slipped disc (1 month ago) at my lower back, but I'm not as lean / skinny as you. Since then, I have been swimming everyday as instructed by the doctor. Recovery has been slow but steady and I do feel that my core muscles (abs and back), which are very weak initially, have strengthened. I wouldn't say that my core muscles have grown bigger visibly (I believe they only grow if you really focus on strength training those areas by doing exercises like deadlifts?), but I do feel much better every time after swimming.

Localised strength training of the back muscles is indeed important to strengthen the core muscles to support your spine, but I would suggest that you do that only if you feel almost no discomfort from your slipped disc. In other words, you don't feel pain anymore and have more or less recovered (takes about 6-12 weeks to recover). I did ask my doctor whether I could do pilates to strengthen the core, but he advised me against doing so for now. He also advised me against carrying heavy stuff, and told me to just focus on swimming.

For my swimming routine, I do 2 50m laps of breast stroke as warm-up, followed by alternating 50m laps of freestyle (front crawl) and breast stroke, for a total of 20 laps. Adjust your intensity according to how your back feels. I.e., if you back is pain, just lower the intensity; if you're feeling better, then feel free to increase your intensity. Since swimming is still cardio that would further increase your already high metabolism, but you still need to swim to strengthen your core muscles at the initial injury stage of slipped disc, I would suggest that you eat some protein meal (protein shake, eggs or meat etc.) immediately after your swim so as to preserve your muscles.

IMO, when I swim, I will perform every stroke with sufficient intensity such that I can feel my muscles contracting and working out as though I am lifting weights - same concept as hitting the gym I guess. Basically, you wanna make your muscles feel that they are being worked when you swim so that hopefully, they will 'adapt' to the stress by growing in strength and size. This is really the same as working out the different muscle groups (including your core) in the gym, just that you are swimming instead of lifting weights due to your slipped disc.

So far, after 5 weeks of continuous swimming, I must say that my arms, lats and chest muscles did not decrease in size or strength from the 'muscle burning' effects of swimming as a cardio exercise. My core muscles have become stronger but did not grow in size. In all, I think just swim HIIT style and make the mind-muscle connection. Not sure if this makes sense but hope it helps!

Problem is, I cant swim, LOL. Used to play soccer but has since stopped. An angmoh doctor told me to do planking exercises to buildup my stomach muscles though, wondering how to train back muscles near our spine?

Guest Guest

Problem is, I cant swim, LOL. Used to play soccer but has since stopped. An angmoh doctor told me to do planking exercises to buildup my stomach muscles though, wondering how to train back muscles near our spine?

You answer your own question.

Planking will work out and strengthen your back muscles.

Hmm, maybe you can attend swimming lessons for adults? I have seen many people much older than you taking up swimming lessons because of their back problems that come with age. Land exercises that strengthen the back are definitely essential, but if your injury is still at the initial stage, you would need low impact exercises like swimming to build the foundational strength for your back before you proceed to add in planking and other back exercises to your regime. Just my two cents :)

Lol. I don't understand why skinny guys want to get fatter, especially after putting in so much effort so lose those fats that you all love so much. Since you all want to be heavier and 'fleshier', why not gain the weight and flesh in terms of muscles? That'll help support your bone structure, and superficially, make you look good. Anyway, just eat a calorie surplus to put on weight, regardless of muscles or fats. Maybe you can try mass gainers? I don't know cause I definitely don't need to put on weight.

My weight is not stable all the time..whatever I eat is all burn out..too much cardio

That happened to me, too. Used to run 3 times a week 10 km each time. I love running. These days very occasionally. 

― J'son M. Lee 

Lol. I don't understand why skinny guys want to get fatter, especially after putting in so much effort so lose those fats that you all love so much. Since you all want to be heavier and 'fleshier', why not gain the weight and flesh in terms of muscles? That'll help support your bone structure, and superficially, make you look good. Anyway, just eat a calorie surplus to put on weight, regardless of muscles or fats. Maybe you can try mass gainers? I don't know cause I definitely don't need to put on weight.

Definitely happier with muscles. But i will avoid those mass gainers. My former CO asked me not to try it. He said he tried before. He never went into in-depth though.

Oh okay. Then I guess you just have to eat a lot more. Like eat every 2 hours. And stuff yourself with food even if you feel full. You can eat whatever you want I suppose since you burn almost everything you eat, but I'd recommend balanced meals (i.e. unrefined carbs, protein, fats) with a higher % of protein.

Edited by Loki

Perhaps eating the right food will do the trick.

My only cardio is swimming because running damages my legs and gives me a bad headache.

I do some sprinting when I transfer trains at interchanges.

Edited by darkflame

Image00109.jpg

I'm always running after you.

You are my ideal.

You are me.

Anyone? I have been skinny all my life. Kana slipped disc. Doctor said need to train on my stomach and back muscles.

I'm thinking of getting more flesh as well... But I can eat all kind of meat and junk food, I still cant get fat. Currently 179m/52kg. was 59kg for many many years though.

Ppl said i'm high on metabolism thats why i cant get fat. I dun wanna take on those powder or pills. Any tips?

Many of us are lucky that we have the problem of gaining weight, instead of the opposite one.

Eating more and more frequently is a solution.  But it may still not work. 

The theory that calories ingested - calories burned = 'stored' calories that add weight ... is not true. 

We have some internal regulating mechanisms that let the body absorb only as much food as it wants.

It is FOOLISH to try to force these mechanisms by eating JUNK food.

But we can eat more GOOD food, now that nutrition theory is not against HEALTHY fats anymore.

If you are coming to the forties, you are at an ideal age to take on weight training and scale down on aerobics.

You can make good progress to create and maintain a good body for many decades more. 

If you have a weak back, you have to be careful with putting weight on it, but also you need to do weight exercises to strengthen it. 

Most upper-body exercises won't affect your back.  So you can exercise chest, shoulders, arms as heavy as you want.

With lower body it is different.  Here it matters very much to have a GOOD FORM, keeping the back straight.

It may not seem so, but good leg flexibility is very important for the health of the back. 

A simple stretching exercise for the legs is to bend forwards while looking up to keep the back straight and over the weeks reach progressively lower until touching the floor. 

One of the best lower-back exercises is the "stiffed leg deadlift".  It looks like a back killer, and it may be when done incorrectly.

But if one has good flexibility and comes down with the back straight by looking forwards, there is little risk. 

You see, there is a lot that can be done without taking powders or pills. 

To plan good meals and work out with weights is much more work than that.

But then the results are real.

• 3 weeks later...

Uhh any diff?

How long have you been working on it?

On your 2nd pic, your back looks wider, tummy looks stronger, more visible v line and the veins on your forearm are showing.

I assume you've been working on your back and abs? Pump that chest up so it won't be behind from your growing abs.

Keep it up! There are already improvements. Just be consistent, aight? :)

Edited by fallequinox01

"Listen -- are you living just a little and calling it life?"

Mary Oliver

• 1 month later...

I have been working out with a personal trainer for 3 months and getting some results. I want to do it on my own after my last session because personal training is just too expensive. However I feel that I'm still not strong enough and I'm too embarrassed. I'm also worried my weight might go down again. Should I look for a partner who has more experience?

I need help too...I m 44 168 57 chn,been work out for the pass 6 years in jurong swimming complex but still in very bad result,slim with tummy,small chest n small arm,appreciate someone experience can guide me n work out together n give me some advise,nineseventhreefoureightseventwoseven,thanks...

Edited by idiot71

Side track a bit  :P  :D  :lol:

11947587_954376157951996_311276229557067

― J'son M. Lee 

I have been working out with a personal trainer for 3 months and getting some results. I want to do it on my own after my last session because personal training is just too expensive. However I feel that I'm still not strong enough and I'm too embarrassed. I'm also worried my weight might go down again. Should I look for a partner who has more experience?

The purpose of a personal trainer should be to learn about training so that one can do it oneself,  not to have a warm body there to hold one's hand. 

Three months is plenty of time to learn the basics of working out.  But this also takes your effort to learn and apply what you learn.

A decent trainer should not have a problem with a client for whom his training is too expensive, and should advise you on how to do without him.  If he reacts badly to that, DUMP HIM.

Your weight should not "go down again" if you don't have a trainer with you.

Better than a partner with experience is if YOU become knowledgeable of how to work out.

I need help too...I m 44 168 57 chn,been work out for the pass 6 years in jurong swimming complex but still in very bad result,slim with tummy,small chest n small arm,appreciate someone experience can guide me n work out together n give me some advise,nineseventhreefoureightseventwoseven,thanks...

It is time that you learn what to do to get rid of the tummy.  Eating less may not be the solution since you are slim already. If it is not a medical condition that creates abdominal extension (liver problems?) you may have lack of tone in your core muscles, the abdominal muscles.  Forget about aerobics and concentrate on resistance exercises for the core muscles, for example crunches for the abdomen and stiff-legged deadlifts for the lower back.  Try to learn everything possible about your condition, if necessary consult a professional trainer for a short teaching.

Does eating mixed nuts help? I love eating mixed nuts especially almond. Anyone knows where to get? I mean bulk purchase like 1kg almond.

Nuts are very healthy, and bulk (or big) purchases of raw almonds (unsalted and not roasted) is a best choice.

Mixed nuts are somewhat questionable depending on what the mix is.

LOL!  Maybe it's better to WALK to the entrance to the gym and back.

Precisely. Saves gym membership, too!  :D  :lol:  :P

― J'son M. Lee 

The purpose of a personal trainer should be to learn about training so that one can do it oneself,  not to have a warm body there to hold one's hand. 

Three months is plenty of time to learn the basics of working out.  But this also takes your effort to learn and apply what you learn.

A decent trainer should not have a problem with a client for whom his training is too expensive, and should advise you on how to do without him.  If he reacts badly to that, DUMP HIM.

Your weight should not "go down again" if you don't have a trainer with you.

Better than a partner with experience is if YOU become knowledgeable of how to work out.

Yea, but most trainers will do things the slow way, so that they can squeeze more money from the client. It happens in many places and can't really blame them cause its essential for their survival.

How to build chest .. Can advice?

How often should I do chest? I find chest so difficult to build compared to biceps and triceps .

Need advice! Thanks!

really depends on how you train every week ...

Do you train like (Chest, Legs, Arms, Cardio,Back, Shoulder,Rest) ?

So maybe if you feel Chest is weak for you, u can do double Chest per week,

Do take note that sufficient recovery is important.

Pay attention to form.

Experiment with workouts that can target upper and lower chests.

Practice single, super, giant and tempo sets.

Be Safe and Have fun.

How often should I do chest? I find chest so difficult to build compared to biceps and triceps .

Need advice! Thanks!

Chest is trained well with arms and shoulders in an "upper body" workout:  shoulder press, flat bench press, incline bench press, pullovers, dips, biceps, triceps.  This can be done with a variety of different equipment like  dumbbells, barbells, cross cable rack, smith rack, or with dedicated machines for the various exercises.

A good schedule is to do "upper body" twice a week, "lower body" twice a week, and aerobics twice a week, all intermixed for a nice plan of six workouts a week, and then REST for one day (like God is alleged to have done). 

Yea, but most trainers will do things the slow way, so that they can squeeze more money from the client. It happens in many places and can't really blame them cause its essential for their survival.

Every working person needs to have enough demand of their work to survive. 

Good trainers should have enough business so that they don't need to slow down their training but be honest and give good value in exchange for their time.

Good trainers should have enough business so that they don't need to slow down their training but be honest and give good value in exchange for their time.

Good one ...

@xydboy: I got a question for you. Hope you could share with me your opinion. It's about abs.

Some say you should work hard on it for it to show but others say you do not need to worry too much about it as long as you a good workout plan (very subjective) and watch your diet, your abs will show.

Your view please. Thanks.

@xydboy: I got a question for you. Hope you could share with me your opinion. It's about abs.

Some say you should work hard on it for it to show but others say you do not need to worry too much about it as long as you a good workout plan (very subjective) and watch your diet, your abs will show.

The abs won't show just with dieting alone.  You have to have the right diet, not dieting.  In addition, you need to do the right abs exercise, and do it right.

Well said, but in the commercial gyms, it doesn't happen like it. Everyone is just trying so hard, moreover trainers don't work alone, they have to answer to the sales of the company and achieve monthly target. Ideally it should be the way you said but practically it doesn't happen on the ground. 

Chest is trained well with arms and shoulders in an "upper body" workout:  shoulder press, flat bench press, incline bench press, pullovers, dips, biceps, triceps.  This can be done with a variety of different equipment like  dumbbells, barbells, cross cable rack, smith rack, or with dedicated machines for the various exercises.

A good schedule is to do "upper body" twice a week, "lower body" twice a week, and aerobics twice a week, all intermixed for a nice plan of six workouts a week, and then REST for one day (like God is alleged to have done). 

I would do chest/triceps and shoulders on a separate day. In a chest routine, the triceps would give way first before the chest, so I wouldn't want to put too many pushing exercises on the same day due to the physiological demands placed upon the synergists.

Need advice! Thanks!

What have you been doing for chest? machines or barbells? how often you train? Without establishing these fundamentals, its hard to recommend anything.

Usually its all about exercise and diet. Most people just keep doing crunches,etc just for abs, but seriously the core is made of 3 layers, the deep, middle and outer layer, doing these simple abs exercise isn't going to help much in terms of strengthening. Big movements like squats, deadlifts, they would be beneficial in training and activating the core muscles. Doing 1000 crunches isn't going to be helpful. And serious, the amount of times I do crunches in a month can be counted with 1 hand. Still my abs showed =p Apart from which, the diet would also play a role. Try some high intensity exercises plus a balanced diet would be useful.

My Personal workout plan:

1. Chest

2. Legs

3. Arms

4. Back

5. Shoulders

1 day on Cardio in between

1 day of Rest

I target about 60mins or 90mins of max with each training day, for every 3 weeks of normal weights training i spend 1 week doing tempo training.

I train at home so i only have free weights, so my chest routine will typically be like:

1. Barbell Chest Press (15,12,8,8)

2. Incline Dumbell Fly (15,12,8)

Incline Dumbell Press (15,12,8)

3. Chest Press with Rotation (15,12,8,8)

4. Incline Dumbell Press (15,12,8,8,12,15)

5. Chest Fly with Closr Grip Press (15,12,8)

6. Decline Pushups (15,12,8)

For chest i try to use chest and not shoulder, and when the chest is contracted, squeeze it.

Bros who are pros, maybe can help me tweak my routines.

Edited by lightsmith32

My Personal workout plan:

1. Chest

2. Legs

3. Arms

4. Back

5. Shoulders

1 day on Cardio in between

1 day of Rest

I target about 60mins or 90mins of max with each training day, for every 3 weeks of normal weights training i spend 1 week doing tempo training.

I train at home so i only have free weights, so my chest routine will typically be like:

1. Barbell Chest Press (15,12,8,8)

2. Incline Dumbell Fly (15,12,8)

Incline Dumbell Press (15,12,8)

3. Chest Press with Rotation (15,12,8,8)

4. Incline Dumbell Press (15,12,8,8,12,15)

5. Chest Fly with Closr Grip Press (15,12,8)

6. Decline Pushups (15,12,8)

For chest i try to use chest and not shoulder, and when the chest is contracted, squeeze it.

Bros who are pros, maybe can help me tweak my routines.

What are your training objectives or goals?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.