Male HQ

Discussion on Muscle Building, Weight Lost, Weight Gain, Gym Workout

Guest Advice, pls

Guest Weights

I am looking at a supplement which could give me tht extra "push" during workout. I'm not a heavy lifter.

Sometimes, I take my whey protein before my workout.

I would like I know if there's any pre-workout supplement available.

All inputs are appreciated. Thanks!

Depends on what sort of pre-workout supplement you're looking for. Nitric oxide supplements are unfortunately, a SCAM. Google it.

What I would recommend to you is to get a good dose of Branched Chain Amino Acids and/or Essential Amino Acids. No matter your goal in the gym be it weight loss, bulking up or just toning up and getting in shape, amino acids are vital. The product I'm using right now is Purple Wrath, again google it. Take a look at the nutritional label and at the amino acids it offers.

But if you're looking for something to kick you in the ass, try Amino Energy by Optimum Nutrition. I'm not using this anymore but I would vouch for its usefulness. It contains some BCAAs though not as much as Purple Wrath but also a good dose of caffeine. Now some might argue that we might as well drink coffee, and that's true. But I've used it for pre-workout as well as intra-workouts and it tastes delicious, almost like F&N's grape minus the sugar and calories.

Just my two cents. Hope this helps.

Why do you take protein before workout? Won't you feel bloated?

Anyway, there are many pre workout supps available online. do note it may work for some or perhaps it's just a placebo effect. For me, I do feel the pump and extra "energy". But after a while I don't get that feeling anymore. So I stopped and started taking nitric oxide supps instead.

Protein taken before workout has been shown to improve muscle protein synthesis as well. Even the branched chain amino acids work too. The molecule widely studied is leucine and its shown to provide certain amount of benefits if its taken before a workout. You don't need to take lots of fluid with it, or maybe the protein powder you got is very clumpy? I could down one scoop of the protein shake with just 300ml to 400ml of water.

Follow me at http://instagram.com/ytraymond =)

Hi I also take my whey protein from gnc like bluer runner before workout n swimming exercises too give me that push.. Cos if I don't take anything I feel so tired and shack. New to gymming too.

Especially for people who are new to resistance training, it is essential to work on higher levels of protein intake because of the greater amount of muscle breakdown during training. However, as one becomes more and more trained, the amount of damage isn't as great as compared to a beginner, so the levels of protein intake can be toggled accordingly. Anyway according to the ISSN position stand on protein and exercise, ingestion of amino acids may improve exercise performance and recovery,so no harm trying them out. (reference: http://www.jissn.com/content/4/1/8)

Protein taken before workout has been shown to improve muscle protein synthesis as well. Even the branched chain amino acids work too. The molecule widely studied is leucine and its shown to provide certain amount of benefits if its taken before a workout. You don't need to take lots of fluid with it, or maybe the protein powder you got is very clumpy? I could down one scoop of the protein shake with just 300ml to 400ml of water.

Of course I must say that I do drink protein in the morning one hour before workout. Just to fill my stomach.

But I've seen people drinking protein just before and even during their workout. maybe it will work for them but I'll vomit. Lol

Thanks to everyone's contribution.

Yes, I have been checking out some pre-workout sup and they are highly caffeinated. Lolx.

Guess I need to be a "guinea pig" myself to see what works better for me.

Answer to an earlier question of why I take whey before my workout, well, I find it does give me a little push. No sure if that psychological or not. :P

Furthermore, that's all I have! I do not feel bloated. :)

Bluerunner, you are right! At the end of the day, you got to try it out yourself to see what works.

I'm only complaining that fitlion is out of my nitric oxide stock from ronnie Coleman!

Oh yah, I find redbull works too! Albeit the high sugar content lol

I'm 59.2 and 173. Been gymming for the past 4 months. Average prob 2 to 3 sessions per week. Doing mostly free weights for upper body and back.

I've been trying to bulk up, eating chicken and duck rice at around 10ish in the morning before heading to gym around 12 and taking another meal after I'm done. Dinner is normally around 6-7.

Is this enough? I seem to be unable to get past 60kg. Was around 57 58 before I started 4 months ago but progress seems to have slowed. Any suggestions regarding protein intake?

Let's see.

Protein In a plate of chicken and duck rice will be around 25-30gram (est.). Tho I must ask, is it those standard kind or do you specifically ask for example whole breast?

So if you repeat that after workout and also dinner, taking 30grams times 3 meals will be 90grams.

According to your body weight, you need at least 130grams of protein. And you are only taking in 90. That's a deficit of 40grams! So you need at least two more plates of chicken and duck rice.

Of course that's just basic calculation. There are other macros to take note of.

Invest in a protein shake and drink it between meals. It might help to give you that added weight you want.

Guest Guest

i find that protein shake alone doesnt make me full anymore. never find protein filling in the first place though.

keep hearing them said protein will make u fuller. bullshit for me

Guest Guest

Thanks xydboy for the advice again. I'm the guest who takes whey protein before my workout and swimming etc. I feel less tired too and the soreness in the muscles seem to go away faster

By the way when I take too many bananas I tend to feel weak on the legs. Is it true banana will cause weakening of the legs? Tcm says it's too cold food don't consume too many.

But I take to fight off the fatigue after a rigorous workout both before n after and my legs cramp easily when I swim.

I'm 59.2 and 173. Been gymming for the past 4 months. Average prob 2 to 3 sessions per week. Doing mostly free weights for upper body and back.

I've been trying to bulk up, eating chicken and duck rice at around 10ish in the morning before heading to gym around 12 and taking another meal after I'm done. Dinner is normally around 6-7.

Is this enough? I seem to be unable to get past 60kg. Was around 57 58 before I started 4 months ago but progress seems to have slowed. Any suggestions regarding protein intake?

It seems that you have three meals a day.  If your schedule allows it,  you could benefit by increasing to five meals a day, all of them more or less equally nutritious.

I eat breakfast at 7:30 AM, go to the gym at 9 AM, have launch at 11:30 AM, then an afternoon meal at 3 PM, dinner at 6 PM and late meal at 9 PM, to go to bed at 11 PM.  But I have also a lot of flexibility in my time, and this is why I can keep such schedule.

I have been weight training for decades, and my weight rarely fluctuates up or down by more than one pound.  On the average it has been raising very slowly as I gain muscle.  I eat very healthy food, and I am unable to gain weight by eating more healthy food.  I only gain weight by adding junk food.  This gives me a certain perspective:

I believe that by keeping good nutrition our body keeps its weight to an optimum value by adjusting how much of the food it absorbs. As long as we take in sufficient good food, our body takes care of regulating its weight.  The only way to "bulk up" is to start eating against all rules of good nutrition, and then our body loses control and bulks up... probably mostly with undesired tissue like fat.

That brings up the question:  why bulk up ?????  Strength and bulk are not proportionally related.  I am slim and strong, others are bulky but not stronger than I am.   Is it for the looks? I'm sure that a majority is attracted to slim more than bulk.   Is it for protection, because of some inborn complex of being weak?  Learn karate, or better, aikido.

I have come to the conclusion that nothing really justifies to take our body away from its optimum weight, size.  It is more effective to get it in the best shape possible at its natural size. This means to work out to keep it firm and muscular, with perhaps a size increase tied to a reasonable gain in musculature.  But to try to force it with supplements, powders, shakes, is to go against the body, which is the same as going against us.  And DEFINITELY,  whatever changes in size should planned to be extended over a long, long time.

Of course I must say that I do drink protein in the morning one hour before workout. Just to fill my stomach.

But I've seen people drinking protein just before and even during their workout. maybe it will work for them but I'll vomit. Lol

Filling the body intra-workouts with amino acids have been shown to work. But yea, it wouldn't be comfortable to work out with a full tummy filled with water. Moreover too much water also increases gastic emptying rate as well. But yea, each to his or her own.

Thanks xydboy for the advice again. I'm the guest who takes whey protein before my workout and swimming etc. I feel less tired too and the soreness in the muscles seem to go away faster

By the way when I take too many bananas I tend to feel weak on the legs. Is it true banana will cause weakening of the legs? Tcm says it's too cold food don't consume too many.

But I take to fight off the fatigue after a rigorous workout both before n after and my legs cramp easily when I swim.

Huh? banana cause weakening of the knees? how many bananas do you eat. Taking too much just makes me visit the toilet. LOL!

I shall not comment much on nutrition because there is too much variables that we fail to understand. 1)portion of the meal 2)what the other food you take for the other meals 3)how the meals are prepared(home cooked or bought from outside, fried, steamed,braised?) To comment on the workout, 2 to 3 sessions per week seems ok, but what do you do during this 2 to 3 sessions is what matters more. Before we jump as to whether you have been eating right or not, we should first consider what you have been doing for workouts. If you are doing simple weights without increasing the intensity, then there is limited growth you will expect. Next you mentioned upper body and back. Don't keep doing single joint exercises because if you are, you won't be expecting much stimulus for growth. Next, what about the chest and legs, have you been neglecting them?

High chance i'm guessing you are maintaining the weight of your dumbbells for a long duration, cause you said that the progressed has slowed, so you did improve at the start. I believe that the initial adaptations have occurred, just that due to the stagnant of weights, the body just doesn't change anymore.Don't pint point to food or focus all your energy on it because through adequate resistance exercise, you would be able to increase your net muscle protein synthesis rate and allowing it to peak higher through the combination of diet (reference: Phillips,et. al. 2008). Why not try and list down the exercises you have done, will have a look and see how I can help.

• 1 month later...

Hey Xydboy sorry i didnt see your reply one month ago.

I am trying to build mostly chest and biceps - i know its bad to just forget about the legs but i think if theres something i wanna concentrate on, its my upper body for now.

I usually do freeweights at the start. Now im lifting 20kg in each arm x 8reps x 4 to 5sets depending on how fatigued i am. I start off with it above my head and bring it down to my elbow forming a 90deg angle and slightly lower then up again on a flat bench.

I then go do some machine assisted bench press (not sure if it is really called that) but its the one you basically slide up n down as if its a bench press but you cant take the weights out. Can lock to make sure it doesnt fall. I initially do 15kg on each side x 12. Then i up to 17.5kg x 10 then 18.75kg x 8 and 20kg x around 6? And last one i do as many as i can. All of it on a flat bench.

Sometimes i do it with an inclined bench but i can do around max 10kg each side x 6 to 8 reps for 2 to 3 sets.

others i do include the ?pull-downs machine? I dont know what its called but supposed to train probably lats and triceps. I do around 50 kg x 10reps x 4sets.

to do my deltoids i raise about 6kg sideways and up till i form a T shaped with both arms parallel to the floor. Total also 10 reps x 4 to 5sets.

Bicep curls i do 12kg x 10 x 4 and i also do the curls towards the front to train the forearm radialis muscle 12kg x 10 x 4.

I think i have improved in the weights and when I look down i definitely see abit more chest than when i first started but progress getting slow. And it becomes quite achey and sore to the point where i cant really do consecutive or every other day gym. So i end up maybe ding it once every 3 to 4 days - not all the exercises above but probably 3 or 4 of them alternately?

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

It is all about symmetry and balance. You don't want to overwork the upper body and neglect the lower part- i.e. your legs. I see a number of guys at my gym with big strong upper bodies but skinny legs. They end up looking like a frog to me. 

With arms, you usually you can don't do as much, especially if you are using free weights or your own body weight. I.e. When I do chest dips, I am also working out my triceps. So there are plenty of upper body exercises that you do that works more than just 1 muscle. 

If your body is feeling sore, do something different. You can work out your legs, glutes, do yoga etc. just to break the monotony. 

I am trying to build mostly chest and biceps - i know its bad to just forget about the legs but i think if theres something i wanna concentrate on, its my upper body for now.

I usually do freeweights at the start. Now im lifting 20kg in each arm x 8reps x 4 to 5sets depending on how fatigued i am. I start off with it above my head and bring it down to my elbow forming a 90deg angle and slightly lower then up again on a flat bench.

I then go do some machine assisted bench press (not sure if it is really called that) but its the one you basically slide up n down as if its a bench press but you cant take the weights out. Can lock to make sure it doesnt fall. I initially do 15kg on each side x 12. Then i up to 17.5kg x 10 then 18.75kg x 8 and 20kg x around 6? And last one i do as many as i can. All of it on a flat bench.

Sometimes i do it with an inclined bench but i can do around max 10kg each side x 6 to 8 reps for 2 to 3 sets.

others i do include the ?pull-downs machine? I dont know what its called but supposed to train probably lats and triceps. I do around 50 kg x 10reps x 4sets.

to do my deltoids i raise about 6kg sideways and up till i form a T shaped with both arms parallel to the floor. Total also 10 reps x 4 to 5sets.

Bicep curls i do 12kg x 10 x 4 and i also do the curls towards the front to train the forearm radialis muscle 12kg x 10 x 4.

I think i have improved in the weights and when I look down i definitely see abit more chest than when i first started but progress getting slow. And it becomes quite achey and sore to the point where i cant really do consecutive or every other day gym. So i end up maybe ding it once every 3 to 4 days - not all the exercises above but probably 3 or 4 of them alternately?

Love. 

I am looking at a supplement which could give me tht extra "push" during workout. I'm not a heavy lifter.

Sometimes, I take my whey protein before my workout.

I would like I know if there's any pre-workout supplement available.

All inputs are appreciated. Thanks!

May I know how old r u?

Animal stak by universal work for me.

It is never too late to work on your legs aka squats squats squats! Believe me, you will grow faster. Of course with proper diet.

Set aside 4 days a week and focus on the major parts each day. Honestly, for biceps and triceps, more is less. That is the principle.

The incline bench press is a superior exercise than the flat bench one.  They say that the best angle is 30 deg. from horizontal.  You can lift less weight than with flat bench press, but this weight is more effective.  

We should not exercise the same group of muscles with heavy weights every day.  A good regime is to do it twice a week,  and alternate between upper body, lower body and aerobics,  for a total of 6 workout days a week. 

Lower body is very important, as the previous poster mentions.  Heavy squats are nearly a must, done in the most traditional way, for the best development of overall musculature.  And you may do them with very heavy weight only once a week, with the second time in the week done with less weight.

Should i aim to do less reps and sets with heavier weight instead?

Yes. 

I.e. Incline bench press

1st set: 100lbs x 15

2nd set: 110lbs x 12

3rd set: 120lbs x 10

4th set: 140lbs x 10

Sometimes for the 4th set, which is optional, i will opt for a lighter weight, i.e. 100lbs, but i will do reps to point of failure. 

Love. 

The incline bench press is a superior exercise than the flat bench one.  They say that the best angle is 30 deg. from horizontal.  You can lift less weight than with flat bench press, but this weight is more effective.  

We should not exercise the same group of muscles with heavy weights every day.  A good regime is to do it twice a week,  and alternate between upper body, lower body and aerobics,  for a total of 6 workout days a week. 

Lower body is very important, as the previous poster mentions.  Heavy squats are nearly a must, done in the most traditional way, for the best development of overall musculature.  And you may do them with very heavy weight only once a week, with the second time in the week done with less weight.

Superior in what way? I believe that it would be good to do both flat and inclined angles. They all work different muscle groups. Evidence showed that the recruitment of muscle groups tend to differ according to the angles, and thus suggesting the need to do both the inclined, flat or even the declined bench press. 

Reference:

1) http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/2010/07000/An_Electromyography_Analysis_of_3_Muscles.31.aspx

2) http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/1997/08000/Electromyographical_Activity_of_the_Pectoralis.6.aspx

3) http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/abstract/1995/11000/effects_of_variations_of_the_bench_press_exercise.3.aspx

That depends on your regime. Its always good to push yourself more so that your muscles get taxed. If you keep maintaining and be comfortable with the lighter weights, your muscles will get used to that stress. I would not specify any fixed ranges to go for, but something which you can manage on your own. It's always good to be careful to train with heavier weights, especially when you are training alone.

Superior in what way? I believe that it would be good to do both flat and inclined angles. They all work different muscle groups. Evidence showed that the recruitment of muscle groups tend to differ according to the angles, and thus suggesting the need to do both the inclined, flat or even the declined bench press. 

Undoubtedly the flat, incline and decline presses have their individual advantages and a good regime involves the three.  This is true about variety in exercising other muscle groups.  But I give preference to the incline press, both with barbell and dumbbell, because I care more for the feel and look of my upper pectorals.

You don't need to have a fixed rule about this.   A typical set involves eight to ten reps done with sufficient energy. The goal here is not only to be able to lift the weight, but to do it with increased ease.  Tell yourself: "I can do this",  "this is right for my body", "this is working well", "my muscles can handle this"  and feel how this becomes reality as the days (or weeks) pass.  When you come to the realization that "this is easy",  it may be time to add some weight.  With the heavier weight you may (should) be limited to fewer reps.  Then you start again the work of getting your body to accept the new weight with the "I can do this", "this is right for my body", etc. 

Guest Guest

no matter how hard i gym, i still under the lean and toned catergory with abs showing quite easily when contracted.

they said i sld eat more...am i supposed to eat even when im not hungry? i also like to do running on alternate days.

no matter how hard i gym, i still under the lean and toned catergory with abs showing quite easily when contracted.

they said i sld eat more...am i supposed to eat even when im not hungry? i also like to do running on alternate days.

Simply put it. If you want more muscles, you need more proteins. :-)

You are supposed to eat even when not hungry! haha

Sometimes I eat too much and feel like puking

i am 1.69m 66-68kg. after eating some supplements, i see myself losing a bit of unwanted fats by my waist. when i stretch my skin down, i can see abs.

I am trying to speed up the process of getting my abs out, by adjusting my diet.

it is kinda slow So i was wondering maybe i can increase my musclemass to reduce my overall bodyfat%, then maybe my abs will show? Is it possible?

Btw I gym 4-6 times,run intervals 1-2 times and paddle 1-2 times a week.

MAKING LOVE HELPS TO STRENGTHEN BONDS ^_^

i am 1.69m 66-68kg. after eating some supplements, i see myself losing a bit of unwanted fats by my waist. when i stretch my skin down, i can see abs.

I am trying to speed up the process of getting my abs out, by adjusting my diet.

it is kinda slow So i was wondering maybe i can increase my musclemass to reduce my overall bodyfat%, then maybe my abs will show? Is it possible?

when u gain mass, u will definitely put on some fat,

if u keep your diet clean and given your current activity level, it seems to be quite high, so it should not be an issue,

it takes time, continue to work towards your goal, check your macros maybe

KE!!!!aiyo...so hard working sia..gym 4-6 times a week =p bo jio me to train with you...anyway yea, you can increase muscle mass to reduce overall bodyfat %, however in theory, when you increase mass, you don't specifically increase muscle mass only, you also pack on fat mass. 

Yes, you need to eat more, unless you are like a plant who makes energy by standing under the sun. Energy in and out, simple rule to increase mass.

Xydboy!!! I got jio u out to gym! U r always busy and push me away diet is killing me...

OK lah,after my exams i bring you into my gym on weekends ok? I can sign in members for free on weekends. But you stay so far =((((

Please bring your chat off line or PM each other, we don't need to know what happened between the two of you.

Get back to the topic in discussion and stop treating this forum like your own personal chat.

All off topic post will be removed.

You've heard how actors bulked up for their roles, i.e. Bradley Cooper, Hugh Jackman etc. They basically consume over 4000 calories a day etc over a period of time, including adding supplements like mass gainer etc. to achieve the bulk, then trim down to bring out definition. 

Love. 

i take 4 scoop protein every day plus amino acid to sip during gym.

4 scoops?!why waste them..one scoop is about 20-25g of protein. If you are taking them for calories, then you are better off saving money on real food. If you are taking them for muscle protein synthesis after gym, then sad to say, out of the 80g you take, your muscles only use 20-22g for muscle protein synthesis. This has been highlighted as the ceiling effect by Atherton et. al. 200.........2 i think. Was getting this off the top of my brain. Taking amino acids during the gym is fine, it helps to create the anabolic environment, reduce fatigue, etc..the list goes on and I'm sure you know the benefits of it.

If your body likes to be lean and toned,  it is best to let it be lean and toned  (how many would like to be like that!)  But one understands your desire to be different than what you are  :)

To gain muscle it helps to eat more good, healthy food and to eat often, like 5,  6 times a day.  Eating should be sufficient in these 5, 6 and if possible uniform meals so that we don't let our nutrition come down to the point of feeling hungry.  It is not necessary to feel hungry ever.  Same with thirsty.

While working out hard to build muscle and eating more we should expect our weight to go up.  Then we periodically eat less, lose weight, but keep working out  so that we don't lose the added muscle but the added fatty tissue.  This is when we can aim for low body mass index and high definition.  And this cycle can be repeated indefinitely.

Being lean and toned, it is best to not overdo it but get bigger very slowly.  Plan to be more muscular over the years,  not over the months.  And this increase should come from working out hard, not so much from playing around with overeating, and not from taking in supplements and strange stuff unless...  unless you need to participate in body building competitions.  

Guest Guest

i tried taking panadols before IPPT.

probably will help a bit in numbing ur pain while u chiong ur stations.

take panadol extra cos the caffeine will help ^^

Guest sad skinny boy

would like to have some expert opinion

i am a skinny guy 

never gain weight after puberty ( maintaining 45kg since then  :oops: )

start to join gym last year and manage to gain 4-5 kg after PT training ( but quite expensive ) 

currently doing gym with friend 

i never gain weight since after the PT session 

whether there is something wrong with my training 

i do skip meal something due to hectic working hours 

go to gym 2 -3 x per week due to ( working hours and low self esteem ) 

so the best solution is to eat more and gym more or there is some other expert opinion

your expert opinion is much appreciated 

Guest Guest

i tried taking panadols before IPPT.

probably will help a bit in numbing ur pain while u chiong ur stations.

take panadol extra cos the caffeine will help ^^

Panadol really helps? Didn't know abt this? If u want caffeine, might as well take coke or chocolate, these things are high in caffeine.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.