Male HQ

Discussion on Muscle Building, Weight Lost, Weight Gain, Gym Workout

Guest Advice, pls

Guest JUSTrand

It's not just protein that u have to calculate dude. What's the point of hitting 200g of protein(which even I don't take that much) per day if other macros are not taken into consideration. That's just about 800cals. If your intake is supposed to be 2400cals, that's just a third man. Plan your macros, not your protein.

Em... so you mean...

e.g. For a skinny guy to gain muscle and weight, he need 3000cals. Instead of taking in that much of calories, he focus in protein and take in 200gm of protein/day. Yet at the same time, the amount of exercise he did doesnt require that much protein/??

I am interested in guys but I'm too skinny for them to look at me. How could I gain weight at the fastest rate possible? Pls help!

174, 50kg

First of all,  forget the "at the fastest rate possible".  If you want to succeed, give yourself time to succeed.

The way to gain muscle mass (the good weight) is through strength, resistance training with weights.  Forget about aerobics for a while.  Become an expert in training with weights, work hard pushing your (personal) limits,  practice good nutrition and get enough sleep.  To gain muscle mass you need to eat more, even if you are afraid of putting on fat. Once you have gained some muscle mass, then you can eat less while still exercising and you will not lose the muscles gained but fat instead.  

Em... so you mean...

e.g. For a skinny guy to gain muscle and weight, he need 3000cals. Instead of taking in that much of calories, he focus in protein and take in 200gm of protein/day. Yet at the same time, the amount of exercise he did doesnt require that much protein/??

It all depends on your goals, your level of training, your activity level, body fat percentage etc. he may or may not require that much protein. What I meant was don't just be concerned about your protein. I've alw hear of guys saying that to bulk, increase your protein intake. U need your carbs and fats too. It's pretty simple. To bulk, be in caloric excess, not just by eating lots and lots of protein Edited by ash12

It all depends on your goals, your level of training, your activity level, body fat percentage etc. he may or may not require that much protein. What I meant was don't just be concerned about your protein. I've alw hear of guys saying that to bulk, increase your protein intake. U need your carbs and fats too. It's pretty simple. To bulk, be in caloric excess, not just by eating lots and lots of protein

IF IT FITS YO MACROSSSSSSIIII.

I also feel like I'm more prone to shoulder dislocation also after doing weights. Then I realised that I probably made these mistakes:

I didn't lift in a proper form.

I lifted too heavy on the free weights/bench press.

The thing is if you don't push yourself by lifting heavier, you won't see results. But lifting heavier means a good chance you will overstretch your ligaments and injure yourself (sometimes without knowing). So always good to have a buddy to help you. No use getting all that compliment with your shoulders not working properly.  

It's because shoulder is a very mobile joint, therefore its not very stable. Lots of movements at the gym will put the shoulder into a compromising position, resulting in injuries. Many people make mistakes by doing shoulder exercises like rotator cuffs, etc, but it's not going to improve the situation much. Form of exercise still take precedence over anything else.

Lol, nope. I'm assuming u meant protein powder? I've been off protein powder for months now and I don't think I'm that small. Lol. I just ensure I hit my macros at the end of the day. Contrary to a lot of misguided beliefs, supplements are just for convenience, not some secret method to get results. Reason you're not growing? You're not training, resting hard enough and your diet isn't optimum for u to grow. Not due to the lack of supplements. U will grow with or without supplements once u understand your body better.

Haha, u cld be rite. Not growing or not seeing result fast, the reason shld be not training hard enough, or technique cld be wrong. Also not eating enough. But i still have tht mindset tht protein powder like can do wonders, like even u dun train hard enough but after every gym training, u just take one protein shake, u will see result of ur training fast n obvious.

If didnt take protein supplement, eg like training chest. No matter how long u have been doing bench press, ur chest simply dun become very big, maybe just a bit toned only.

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Spend time counting your blessings,

not airing your complaints.

Haha, u cld be rite. Not growing or not seeing result fast, the reason shld be not training hard enough, or technique cld be wrong. Also not eating enough. But i still have tht mindset tht protein powder like can do wonders, like even u dun train hard enough but after every gym training, u just take one protein shake, u will see result of ur training fast n obvious.

If didnt take protein supplement, eg like training chest. No matter how long u have been doing bench press, ur chest simply dun become very big, maybe just a bit toned only.

If you don't train and still take protein, you will still gain mass. But if you talk about maximising this mass and not wasting your money by excreting precious urine, then you should really hit the gym. Protein powder is just a supplement, main protein source should come from food. It's really scary to see how people take supplements as though as they are their breakfast, lunch and dinner meals. Make sure to eat enough if you want to gain mass. It's the idea of laws of thermodynamics, want more mass, take in more calories.

If you don't train and still take protein, you will still gain mass. .....

Make sure to eat enough if you want to gain mass. It's the idea of laws of thermodynamics, want more mass, take in more calories.

You could be overloading your internal organs with excessive protein which could have negative effect on your body.

I agree on the eating part. Eat, eat and still eat. :P

If you don't train and still take protein, you will still gain mass. But if you talk about maximising this mass and not wasting your money by excreting precious urine, then you should really hit the gym. Protein powder is just a supplement, main protein source should come from food. It's really scary to see how people take supplements as though as they are their breakfast, lunch and dinner meals. Make sure to eat enough if you want to gain mass. It's the idea of laws of thermodynamics, want more mass, take in more calories.

Exactly. Like so many other things in this world, protein is pushed on society because the manufacturers of protein (and other supplements) want to make more money. To get bigger, one action should be to eat more of a balanced diet,  not to stuff oneself with protein.  And the merits of one brand of protein over another is pure nonsense.  If one brand gives magical result, it should arise suspicion that there is more than protein in it.

Hahah. Lol. No, protein powder doesn't work wonders. I was like that as a beginner. Now I realize it's all hype. It's simple. Gaining mass=caloric surplus. 1 scoop of protein on average only has on average 100cals. My bulking caloric intake is 3000. So that one scoop of protein is only like a pathetic 0.03% of my entire diet. Doesn't do wonders. U want wonders? Go on gear. (Not advisable) Lol. Guess what, my friends who's much bigger than me but on gear don't even need that powder. Look at my arms in my profile pic. Imagine them being twice as big. That's my friend's arms. That's the wonders of anabolics, not powder. Where does whey come from? By product of cheese. What's the diff between whey and chicken/eggs/fish/etc? The shiny packaging. I'm not dissing protein powder. I think it's a great convenience. But it's definitely not a wonder supplement

I need to grow by another 4 kg and it is so tough

Then frequent a gym and work out with heavy (personal to you) weights.  To not waste this effort,  eat more food (if possible a good balanced diet and more frequently). Don't worry about putting on fat because once you gain muscle you can now eat less while still working out so you lose fat and not muscle.  This is a periodic cycle that can be beneficial like other cycling with exercise types and weights.

Hahah. Lol. No, protein powder doesn't work wonders. I was like that as a beginner. Now I realize it's all hype. It's simple. Gaining mass=caloric surplus. 1 scoop of protein on average only has on average 100cals. My bulking caloric intake is 3000. So that one scoop of protein is only like a pathetic 0.03% of my entire diet. Doesn't do wonders. U want wonders? Go on gear. (Not advisable) Lol. Guess what, my friends who's much bigger than me but on gear don't even need that powder. Look at my arms in my profile pic. Imagine them being twice as big. That's my friend's arms. That's the wonders of anabolics, not powder. Where does whey come from? By product of cheese. What's the diff between whey and chicken/eggs/fish/etc? The shiny packaging. I'm not dissing protein powder. I think it's a great convenience. But it's definitely not a wonder supplement

Stop telling the noobs to go on gear lol.

They still need their balls to function.

And not everyone's going for Olympia :3

Haha! I'm not. I'm just stating that the only 'miracle' supplement are anabolics. Even then, u still need lots of knowledge and hard work. Protein powder is definitely not that 'dat dere celltech'. Lol.

Hi can share how u hit 3000 calories diet?

i think i will need to bulk more.

but the bulking process is quite costly. :(

Exactly. And bulking is environmentally unfriendly too. The bulking process usually causes one to consume more resources than one needs :D

yeah actually i'm really curious about the diet part.

its really tough to pack so many lunches and dinners. and the food served outside doesn't provide many options for high protein food.

The fascinating dream bod is only deserved for those who put their mind, heart and soul to it. Nothing is tough, where mentality matters. When there's a will, there's a way. Give it a go, because you just need that little first step.

Hi can share how u hit 3000 calories diet?

I guess it's not impossible for me since I'm still a student. Most of my meals are at home where I can weigh my food. As for eating outside, I will estimate the macros of that meal and once I've got it right, I'll always eat at the same stall, same dish in school. If not, I'll get a dish that's easy to track the macros. A lot of dishes have their macros online. May not be accurate though. Plus, I've always pack a couple of wholemeal wraps or high protein flatbread stuffed with chicken breast, spinach. Simple to eat.

Haha, noobs dun even know wht is gear?

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Sometimes eating also must know wht to eat then will see result. I guess same as doing weigh training, also must do it right n know wht to do then will see result. Many times eat a lot, but maybe will ended up with high fat content or lead to some illness then problem liao.

Haha, wish i cld achieve like ur arms! Really wonder in order to make arms to become big, it is a must first to put on mass again? If the arm is those skinny arms.

Edited by alien

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

I guess it's not impossible for me since I'm still a student. Most of my meals are at home where I can weigh my food. As for eating outside, I will estimate the macros of that meal and once I've got it right, I'll always eat at the same stall, same dish in school. If not, I'll get a dish that's easy to track the macros. A lot of dishes have their macros online. May not be accurate though. Plus, I've always pack a couple of wholemeal wraps or high protein flatbread stuffed with chicken breast, spinach. Simple to eat.

You weigh your food! *gasp* :o

You weigh your food! *gasp* :o

Hahaha! Sadly, yes. That works for me. Im not blessed by being insulin sensitive. Slower? yes. Tiresome? Most certainly. But nothing beats waking up in the morning and noticing your gains but having most of your abs and separation still visible.

Hahaha! Sadly, yes. That works for me. Im not blessed by being insulin sensitive. Slower? yes. Tiresome? Most certainly. But nothing beats waking up in the morning and noticing your gains but having most of your abs and separation still visible.

How do you know that you are not blessed by being insulin sensitive?

How do you know that you are not blessed by being insulin sensitive?

There's tests to check for that if I'm not wrong. For me, i based it on trials. I've experimented with high carb diet, low carb diet etc. Basically tweaking my macros till I find one which is working for me. Might not be accurate though. But what I'm doing now seems to be working. Of course, I'm still reading up and learning more about nutrition

There's tests to check for that if I'm not wrong. For me, i based it on trials. I've experimented with high carb diet, low carb diet etc. Basically tweaking my macros till I find one which is working for me. Might not be accurate though. But what I'm doing now seems to be working. Of course, I'm still reading up and learning more about nutrition

Insulin sensitivity test, i think a surrogate measure would be the oral glucose tolerance test. But even then, it's not going to be a true reflection since you do not have the standard glucose syrup and it's not done in a lab based setting. Even then don't worry because through exercise or physical activity, there is an improved regulation of glucose and better insulin sensitivity response. That's why I was thinking how come you are active in working out and yet not being insulin sensitive. Hmm...Anyway keep up on the effort on reading up and learning more. It's a good attitude to have towards training. Cheers =)

Insulin sensitivity test, i think a surrogate measure would be the oral glucose tolerance test. But even then, it's not going to be a true reflection since you do not have the standard glucose syrup and it's not done in a lab based setting. Even then don't worry because through exercise or physical activity, there is an improved regulation of glucose and better insulin sensitivity response. That's why I was thinking how come you are active in working out and yet not being insulin sensitive. Hmm...Anyway keep up on the effort on reading up and learning more. It's a good attitude to have towards training. Cheers =)

Yup, that's true. Being active improve your insulin sensitivity response. But the amount of carbs u can take before triggering an insulin response differs from one person to another keeping in mind that both are on the same activity level. Try going on a high carb/low fat diet and a mod carb/mod fat diet. I reacted better to the latter. That's the reason I'm counting my carbs. My friend who's on the same level as me reacted better to a high carb diet plus most of his carbs are simple carbs. His insulin sensitivity is better than mine. We're talking about 300-400g of carbs per day. My intake on workout days is 300g only after 3-4 months into my bulking phase.

Yup, that's true. Being active improve your insulin sensitivity response. But the amount of carbs u can take before triggering an insulin response differs from one person to another keeping in mind that both are on the same activity level. Try going on a high carb/low fat diet and a mod carb/mod fat diet. I reacted better to the latter. That's the reason I'm counting my carbs. My friend who's on the same level as me reacted better to a high carb diet plus most of his carbs are simple carbs. His insulin sensitivity is better than mine. We're talking about 300-400g of carbs per day. My intake on workout days is 300g only after 3-4 months into my bulking phase.

So now the thing is, how do you know whether after taking in the carbs, you trigger the insulin response? given that your statement was that the amount of carbs that can be taken before triggering an insulin response differs from one person to another.

Guest alexis

When i feel not enough after a meal, i will eat fruits and more fruits like papaya. If still not enough i will drink milk or eat 2 half boiled eggs.

I am not sure is it good this way.

Wonder anyone using Nitric Muscle Max and Anabolic RX24 supplements to gain muscle effectively?

Fake advertisement, don't bother..No strong evidence as of yet to quote that they are able to help an individual gain muscle effectively. As for the question on food consumption, just count the calories if you want to be very specific on the amount of food intake. Energy in and energy out, it's all about it to gain weight or lose weight.

Wonder anyone using Nitric Muscle Max and Anabolic RX24 supplements to gain muscle effectively?

They did.  But they all passed away in a painful death by asphyxiation from the overgrowth of skeletal muscles. 

need some advice from the pros here.

i am trying to rid that last inch of fat off my waist (very tough). been trying to limit daily carb intake while working out.

also looking to gain abit more mass.

what shld i do to reach my goals

It is indeed quite difficult to get rid of the "last inch of fat".  Maybe a solution is not to OBSESS over it.  Unless you work as a professional model, if you are in the "last inch" you are already in pretty good shape, and the importance of it is mainly in your head.  (think of those affected with bulimia who are nothing but bones but believe that they are fat)

Don't deprive your body of carbs.  They are needed.  Instead, try to eat only the best carbs:  leguminus (lentils and beans), vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds,  staying away from rice, pasta, white bread and... junk food.

If you want to gain mass, the last obsession you should have is this "last inch of fat".  Instead,  eat plenty of a balanced diet of good food and do heavy workout at the gym.  Once you have more muscle, you may cut on food while still working out so you lose fat and not muscle.

Edited by Steve5380

Guest Guest

can try adding coconut oil to your protein shakes

gives you extra energy, can even help to boost your sex drive at the same time!

really? where to get coconut oil?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.