Male HQ

Positive Thinking Quotes

davecub

We cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own."

~Ben Sweetland~

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

~Harold Whitman~

learn to see the sparkle in others. not just the flaw.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. It is far better to take things as they come along with patience and equanimity."

~Carl Jung~

"Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything - whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out."

-Tina Turner-

"A smile while giving honest criticism can make the difference between resentment and reform."

~Philip Steinmetz~

"Tell me, I will forget. Show me, I may remember. Involve me, I will understand."

~Chinese Proverb~

"A man who wishes to lead the orchestra must turn his back on the crowd."

~Jack Lee~

"Worry never accomplishes anything. When you have a problem, it is best to concentrate on the solution to that problem, not the problem itself."

~Thomas D. Willhite~

"The word “crisis” is from the Greek, meaning “a moment to decide.” The recurrent moments of crisis and decision when understood, are growth junctures, points of initiation which mark a release from one state of being and a growth into the next."

~Jill Purce~

To the world, you may be just one person. To a person, you may mean the whole world.

Once I read an article in a local newspaper, a criminal's wife said "To the world, my husband may be a bad person. But to me and my children, he is the best & dearest to us in every way."

Edited by davecub

"Love Life. Do Good. Live Well."

~ Kevin Ngo ~

"Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down."

~Oprah Winfrey~

"A day without a laugh is a wasted day."

~Charles Chaplin~

"Difficulties are meant to rouse, not discourage. The human spirit is to grow strong by conflict."

~William E. Channing~

"It is surmounting difficulties that makes heroes."

~Louis Kossuth~

~Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they're supposed to help you discover who you are.~

~Bernice Johnson Reagon~

"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them."

~ George Bernard Shaw ~

"People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success."

~ Norman Vincent Peale ~

"The difference between a Flower and a Weed is a Judgment."

~Author Unknown~

"The person who sends out positive thoughts activates the world around him positively and draws back to himself positive results."

~Norman Vincent Peale~

"People get what they want in life when they reach the point at which they can see themselves having what they seek."

~Thomas D. Willhite~

"The potential of the average person is like a huge ocean unsailed, a new continent unexplored, a world of possibilities waiting to be released and channeled toward some great good."

~Brian Tracy~

"In order to get from what was to what will be, you must go through what is."

~Anonymous~

"Experience is a hard teacher, because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards."

~Vernon Saunders' Law~

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was."

~Abraham Lincoln~

"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."

~Henry David Thoreau~

"Thoughts are things; they have tremendous power. Thoughts of doubt and fear are pathways to failure. When you conquer negative attitudes of doubt and fear you conquer failure. Thoughts crystallize into habit and habit solidifies into circumstances."

~Bryan Adams~

"Not what we have but what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."

~John Petit-Senn~

"Both poverty and riches are the offspring of thought."

~Napoleon Hill~

"Abundance is not something we acquire. It is something we tune into."

~Wayne Dyer~

"A company's character is known by the people it keeps."

~John Ruskin~

"Never continue in a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. And if you have that, along with physical health, you will have had more success than you could possibly have imagined."

~Johnny Carson~

Edited by davecub

Several years ago, a friend of mine and her husband were invited to spend the weekend at the husband's employer's home. My friend, Arlene, was nervous about the weekend. The boss was very wealthy, with a fine home on the waterway, and cars costing more than her house.

The first day and evening went well, and Arlene was delighted to have this rare glimpse into how the very wealthy live. The husband's employer was quite generous as a host, and took them to the finest restaurants. Arlene knew she would never have the opportunity to indulge in this kind of extravagance again, so was enjoying herself immensely.

As the three of them were about to enter an exclusive restaurant that evening, the boss was walking slightly ahead of Arlene and her husband.

He stopped suddenly, looking down on the pavement for a long, silent moment. Arlene wondered if she was supposed to pass him. There was nothing on the ground except a single darkened penny that someone had dropped, and a few cigarette butts.

Still silent, the man reached down and picked up the penny. He held it up and smiled, then put it in his pocket as if he had found a great treasure. How absurd! What need did this man have for a single penny? Why would he even take the time to stop and pick it up? Throughout dinner, the entire scene nagged at her.

Finally, she could stand it no longer. She causally mentioned that her daughter once had a coin collection, and asked if the penny he had found had been of some value.

A smile crept across the man's face as he reached into his pocket for the penny and held it out for her to see. She had seen many pennies before! What was the point of this?

"Look at it." He said. "Read what it says."

She read the words "United States of America."

"No, not that; read further."

"One cent?"

"No, keep reading."

"In God we Trust?"

"Yes!"

"And?"

"And if I trust in God, the name of God is holy, even on a coin. Whenever I find a coin I see that inscription. It is written on every single United States coin, but we never seem to notice it! God drops a message right in front of me telling me to trust Him? Who am I to pass it by? When I see a coin, I pray, I stop to see if my trust IS in God at that moment. I pick the coin up as a response to God; that I do trust in Him. For a short time, at least, I cherish it as if it were gold. I think it is God's way of starting a conversation with me. Lucky for me, God is patient and pennies are plentiful!

When I was out shopping today, I found a penny on the sidewalk. I stopped and picked it up, and realized that I had been worrying and fretting in my mind about things I cannot change. I read the words, "In God We Trust," and had to laugh. Yes, God, I get the message. It seems that I have been finding an inordinate number of pennies in the last few months, but then, pennies are plentiful!

And, God is patient...

Have a blessed day!!

The best mathematical equation I have ever seen:

1 cross + 3 nails -------- 4 given

The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, then circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think, say, or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company, a church, a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day.

We cannot change our past. We cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you. We are in charge of our attitudes.

I believe you guys have read this story somewhere before. But I still would like to share it with all of you again as a gentle reminder - the importance of being HONEST, especially in today society and environment which we are living in.

Once there was an emperor in the Far East who was growing old and knew it was coming time to choose his successor. Instead of choosing one of his assistants or one of his own children, he decided to do something different.

He called all the young people in the kingdom together one day. He said, "It has come time for me to step down and to choose the next emperor. I have decided to choose one of you." The kids were shocked! But the emperor continued. "I am going to give each one of you a seed today. One seed. It is a very special seed. I want you to go home, plant the seed, water it and come back here one year from today with what you have grown from this one seed. I will then judge the plants that you bring to me, and the one I choose will be the next emperor of the kingdom!"

There was one boy named Ling who was there that day and he, like the others, received a seed. He went home and excitedly told his mother the whole story. She helped him get a pot and some planting soil, and he planted the seed and watered it carefully. Every day he would water it and watch to see if it had grown.

After about three weeks, some of the other youths began to talk about their seeds and the plants that were beginning to grow. Ling kept going home and checking his seed, but nothing ever grew. Three weeks, four weeks, five weeks went by. Still nothing.

By now others were talking about their plants but Ling didn't have a plant, and he felt like a failure. Six months went by, still nothing in Ling's pot. He just knew he had killed his seed. Everyone else had trees and tall plants, but he had nothing. Ling didn't say anything to his friends, however. He just kept waiting for his seed to grow.

A year finally went by and all the youths of the kingdom brought their plants to the emperor for inspection. Ling told his mother that he wasn't going to take an empty pot. But she encouraged him to go, and to take his pot, and to be honest about what happened. Ling felt sick to his stomach, but he knew his mother was right. He took his empty pot to the palace.

When Ling arrived, he was amazed at the variety of plants grown by all the other youths. They were beautiful, in all shapes and sizes. Ling put his empty pot on the floor and many of the other kinds laughed at him. A few felt sorry for him and just said, "Hey nice try."

When the emperor arrived, he surveyed the room and greeted the young people. Ling just tried to hide in the back. "My, what great plants, trees and flowers you have grown," said the emperor. "Today, one of you will be appointed the next emperor!"

All of a sudden, the emperor spotted Ling at the back of the room with his empty pot. He ordered his guards to bring him to the front. Ling was terrified. "The emperor knows I'm a failure! Maybe he will have me killed!"

When Ling got to the front, the Emperor asked his name. "My name is Ling," he replied. All the kids were laughing and making fun of him. The emperor asked everyone to quiet down. He looked at Ling, and then announced to the crowd, "Behold your new emperor! His name is Ling!" Ling couldn't believe it. Ling couldn't even grow his seed. How could he be the new emperor?

Then the emperor said, "One year ago today, I gave everyone here a seed. I told you to take the seed, plant it, water it, and bring it back to me today. But I gave you all boiled seeds which would not grow. All of you, except Ling, have brought me trees and plants and flowers. When you found that the seed would not grown, you substituted another seed for the one I gave you. Ling was the only one with the courage and honesty to bring me a pot with my seed in it. Therefore, he is the one who will be the new emperor!"

A man had a little daughter-an only and much-beloved child. He lived for her ~ she was his life. So when she became ill and her illness resisted the efforts of the best obtainable physicians, he became like a man possessed, moving heaven and earth to bring about her restoration to health.

His best efforts proved unavailing and the child died. The father was totally irreconcilable. He became a bitter recluse, shutting himself away from his many friends and refusing every activity that might restore his poise and bring him back to his normal self. But one night he had a dream. He was in Heaven, and was witnessing a grand pageant of all the little child angels. They were marching in an apparently endless line past the Great White Throne. Every white-robed angelic tot carried a candle. He noticed that one child's candle was not lighted. Then he saw that the child with the dark candle was his own little girl. Rushing to her, while the pageant faltered, he seized her in his arms, caressed her tenderly, and then asked: "How is it, darling that your candle alone is unlighted? "Father, they often relight it, but your tears always put it out."

Just then he awoke from his dream. The lesson was crystal clear, and its effects were immediate. From that hour on he was not a recluse, but mingled freely and cheerfully with his former friends and associates. No longer would his little darling's candle be extinguished by his useless tears.

"Self-discipline begins with the mastery of your thoughts. If you don't control what you think, you can't control what you do. Simply, self-discipline enables you to think first and act afterward."

~Napolean Hill~

"We all need a daily check up from the neck up to avoid stinkin 'thinkin' which ultimately leads to hardening of the attitudes."

~Zig Ziglar~

"We don't live in a world of reality, we live in a world of perceptions."

~Gerald J. Simmons~

Guest Puzzled

Quotes are interesting but I find it a little pretentious when some friends have these quotes on their msn/fb. Seems to me tat they wanna appear wiser or smarter. Dun these quotes suppose to act like a silent remainder/encouragement to oneself?

What do you guys think?

Guest stockydude

I guess your friends are trying to share what they had read and hoping others will find them helpful.

These inspirational/motivational quotes are good to oneself as well as others, as a remainder/encouragement.

Dont think too much, just read and forget about them if you dont like what you had read.

Life's simple, let's keep it that way.

Quotes are interesting but I find it a little pretentious when some friends have these quotes on their msn/fb. Seems to me tat they wanna appear wiser or smarter. Dun these quotes suppose to act like a silent remainder/encouragement to oneself?

What do you guys think?

Guest Puzzled

I guess your friends are trying to share what they had read and hoping others will find them helpful.

These inspirational/motivational quotes are good to oneself as well as others, as a remainder/encouragement.

Dont think too much, just read and forget about them if you dont like what you had read.

Life's simple, let's keep it that way.

Guess I will take it easy. :)

In this season of LOVE, here is a gentle reminder of what it is all about. Have yourself a cheerful Christmas!

"Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things."

Nothing is to be overcome, but rather moved or falls away when it is no longer needed.

It is pointless to make promises we can’t keep. If the situation, time, people, you yourself, all that makes up to be where you are now have not changed or are not ready to move, you would only be killing yourself.

Rather, move the situation, set free the time, change the people’s hearts, improve yourself, gradually like a constant wind flowing in the same direction, miracle at the end result will seem but a certainty.

It is what it is, it needn't be defined. It is absolute.

I like this positive song by PINK, hope you guys will like it too.

Have yourself a HAPPY & WONDERFUL NEW YEAR!

Fxxkin' Perfect by Pink

Made a wrong turn

Once or twice

Dug my way out

Blood and fire

Bad decisions

That's alright

Welcome to my silly life

Mistreated this place

Misunderstood

Miss knowing it's all good

It didnt slow me down.

Mistaking

Always second guessing

Underestimating

Look I'm still around

Pretty, pretty please

Dont you ever, ever feel

Like you're less than

Fxxking perfect

Pretty, pretty please

If you ever, ever feel

Like you're nothing

You're fxxking perfect to me

You're so mean

When you talk

About yourself, you were wrong

Change the voices in your head

Make them like you instead

So complicated

Look how we all make it

Filled with so much hatred

Such a tired game

It's enough

I've done all I can think of

Chased down all my demons

I've seen you do the same

Oh

Pretty, pretty please

Dont you ever, ever feel

Like you're less than

Fxxking perfect

Pretty, pretty please

If you ever, ever feel

Like you're nothing

The whole worlds scared

So I swallow the fear

The only thing I should be drinking

Is an ice cold beer

So cool in line

And we try, try, try

But we try too hard

And it's a waste of my time

Done looking for the critics

Cause they're everywhere

They don't like my jeans

They don't get my hair

Exchange ourselves

And we do it all the time

Why do we do that?

Why do I do that?

Why do I do that?

Yeeeeaaaahhh

Oooooooh

Oh baby pretty please

Pretty, pretty please

Dont you ever feel

Like you're less than

Fxxking perfect

Pretty, pretty please

If you ever, ever feel

Like you're nothing

You're perfect, you're perfect

Pretty, pretty please

If you ever, ever feel

Like you're nothing

Edited by davecub

At this years’ New York City Marathon, double-lung-transplant recipient Timothy [Tim] Sweeney triumphantly crossed the finish line with 43,000 runners and his surgeon, Joshua Robert Sonett, MD.

Sweeney, a 33-year old Connecticut fitness expert and personal trainer, had managed to keep the debilitating symptoms usually associated with cystic fibrosis, a progressive and frequently fatal genetic disease at bay for years with his healthy lifestyle of regular exercise and good nutrition.

“I had dedicated my life to being as healthy as possible,” Sweeney says, “and decided to be a personal trainer to help people get into great shape and stay healthy.”

After years of pushing his lungs to their limit, Tim’s lungs finally began to fail, dropping to 20 per cent of capacity. He was at the limits of his body’s capacity to get oxygen and he was fighting for every breath.

Finally, in 2008, just after Tim and his wife Beth gave birth to their first child, his pulmonologist delivered the devastating news that without a double-lung transplant, he would have less than a year to live. The news came as a shock to his wife, who remembers collapsing on the floor upon hearing the news.

He could no longer even walk across the room, nor did he have the strength to lift his baby boy. Near the end when Tim desperately needed new lungs, he was called to the hospital three times but on all three occasions, the donor lungs turned out to be defective.

Lungs being the precious organs that they are often get injured when patients die—they get injured by trauma, injured by infection, or injured just by the act of death. The body degenerates, and the lungs are the first to go, so a donor that might have had good lungs 24 hours before his death, all of a sudden has lungs that turn out to be unacceptable.

“When we sent him home the third time, we did not think he would ever have the strength to return,” remembers Sonett.

However, just as Tim was leaving the hospital and was waiting downstairs for his transport home, he received his final call to come back upstairs. Because of the generosity of an organ donor and the donor family, Timothy Sweeney would get new lungs.

On November 10, 2009, Joshua Sonett*, MD, Surgical Director of the Lung Transplant Program at New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center, performed the double-lung transplant that saved Tim’s life. “Without that transplant, he likely would have had just weeks to live,” says Sonett.

Few hours after his surgery, Sonett, who had just completed his fourth Marathon in New York, invited Tim to begin training and join him in the 2010 New York Marathon. “I gave Tim the challenge just hours after the transplant. He perked up and said, ‘Yeah, I’ll run the Marathon with you’,” remembers the surgeon.

Sonett himself has run four marathons, and says he’s lost sight of the first-time accomplishment. But for anybody running 26.2 miles, a full marathon, it is an amazing personal accomplishment, and of course, most marathon runners are in reasonably good health.

“A year ago, Tim was in a hospital, on oxygen, unable to walk across the room, and we feared that if we did not get him his lungs soon, he was going into hospice care. Tim went from being a young man on the edge of the abyss to recovering and running 26.2 miles in just one year,” says Sonett.

Tim was intent on keeping his body maximally tuned for his entire life, with good nutrition, exercise, and hence, was able to carry his body past the problems usually associated with cystic fibrosis, for quite a few years. This is partially why Tim had a very fast recovery, and was released from the hospital just six days after the operation.

“Not many patients suffering from cystic fibrosis can keep their body reasonably fit around failing lungs. In fact, I can guarantee you that if Tim was not active, he might have needed his transplant 10 years ago,” says Sonett. This speedy release is a testimony to his healthy lifestyle before and after his transplant and should be an example to us all.

When Sonett and Tim triumphantly crossed the New York Marathon finish line on November 7, 2010, they were running to raise awareness for Covenant House, a charity for homeless youth, and also to raise awareness of the critical shortage of donor organs.

Outlining the benefits of organ donation, Sonett says that a needy person like Tim can get new lungs, and the donor’s family can take solace knowing that part of their loved one is living on. “If Tim had not received his lungs when he did, he would never have lived to run the New York Marathon, never would have lived to help raise his little boy, and would never have lived to be the inspiration he is to many like him suffering with cystic fibrosis.

Just imagine, if Tim’s donor family had not decided to make the ultimate gift of life, the lungs that carried Tim across the finish line at the New York Marathon, might have been buried forever with his organ donor,” concludes Sonett.

Gift someone life

Imagine Tim’s miraculous story, multiplied around the world, saving lives of many in need through the loving and humanitarian gift of organ donation!

Right now, anywhere from 20 – 30 per cent of patients around the globe like Tim, die waiting for lung transplants. There are just not enough organ donations to meet the need of patients who require a lung transplant.

Many families who have suffered the loss of a loved one who became an organ donor, say that knowing their loved one helped save a life, is a great source of comfort and helps them cope with their loss. Get the facts on organ donation, and make an informed decision based on truth rather than myth.

Organ donation is the ultimate humanitarian act of charity and generosity, and is supported by most major religions. Organ donation, as in the case of Tim Sweeney, may be the one chance an individual will have in this world, to save the life of another.

As told by Dr Joshua Sonett to Donna McLaughlin Wyant

*Joshua R Sonett, MD, is particularly recognised for successfully treating former American President Bill Clinton in 2005 for a complication that developed in his lungs after a bypass surgery that was performed on him in 2004.

If you enjoyed reading "He ran the marathon after a double-lung transplant", tell the world about it

I Want to be a Mountain

The year drew to a close. What would I accomplish in the next?

I looked up at the mountains in the distance. They were white now. Not long ago, they were brown. In the time I've lived in Idaho, I've had the opportunity watch the cycle of seasons make their changes on those mountains I never tire of seeing.

My first sight of them came in September of 2008. The sides of the mountains were painted green with the leaves of sage brush. Near the top were pines. The days moved on. The weather cooled and the rain didn't fall. The leaves browned. The mountain changed.

Fall gave way to winter. I stood in the rain and watched the top of the mountains turn a blinding white. Each week the snow crept further down the slopes and long before the first snows fell in the valley, the mountains were covered with fresh powder. The sun set; the lights on the ski slopes lit the side of the mountains a dazzling white. I'm not a skier, but I imagined the excitement of speeding down the side of those mountains - free, fast, and thrilled.

Winter turned to spring. The snow in the valley disappeared and made its retreat up the slopes until it was gone once again. The weeks passed, the green in the valley flowed steadily up the slopes like a reversed waterfall. The mountains were as I first saw them, green and lush.

On this New Years Eve, the mountains are white again. On New Years Day they will be peppered with the dark dots of the distance skiers as they daringly fall down their slopes.

I saw so many changes, but were they changes? The mountains are never changing. Like people, they only changed coats to fit the weather. They didn't allow outside influences to alter what lie beneath their coats of changing colors. They were always the same. You can have faith in them.

I'm in my third season of life. A little snow has gathered at my peak. Some of the sage brush is gone all together. My clothing changed to fit my seasons. Next year and all my years to follow, I want to be as constant as a mountain. Although my looks change, I want to be reliable. My body will change coats many times, but when my day is done, I want people to say, "No matter what the seasons of life brought, he never changed inside. He never allowed the pressures of the seasons or the weathers of life to change what he was underneath. He was a mountain you could rely on to watch over those who looked up to him."

For this New Year and all the New Years that I have left, whether it is at my job, at home, or with friends and family, I want to be a mountain - reliable.

~ Michael T. Smith ~

A Poor But Rich Family

When I was in the Final Year of my Graduation Studies, we visited one of our friend's home for a lunch. I had no idea about where he lived, I mean, how it could it be?! I just knew that he took the bus from his home to our college.

The moment we reached his house, I found the staircases of his building were not so good nor was his home painted very well. I can't describe in words but it was not even the type of house in which a typical middle class Indian family lives in.

One of the greatest things I did find there were loving parents. We sat on the ground for the lunch because they didn't have a dining table. His mother served us very delicious food, smiling throughout and showed care for the entire lunch session; that I can never forget.

His father worked as a normal mechanic and I wondered if he earned enough money to support their 2 sons.

While we were taking lunch, his father returned home to meet with us. When he entered their home, his hands were dark black and his clothes were very dirty. I remember our friend had no hesitation about his father and made our introductions. I think it is rarely what we see in today's generation. How loving this family was!

Now, I am telling you the remarkable moment of the story. As soon as his father came in, after just 4-5 minutes, our friend asked us if we wanted "Papad" ( A Typical Indian Food ) to eat. Before we could say anything, our friend's mother said there were no "Papad" in the house.

Quickly, our friend asked his father if he could get some. Very gently and kindly his father brought it for us, after going through many staircases even though he was looking tired.

Don't you think of this as Richness of a Poor Family? I think all readers would agree with me.

The story doesn't end here... the interesting part still continues.

Today, our friend is a Team Lead in one of the leading MNC(s) that is Oracle. He is able to pay high rent in Hyderabad and have a new, beautiful home. Not only that, he helped his brother financially in his studies and is still helping.

So, friends, what can we figure out from this story?

The moral I understand is this:

"The amount of money you make won't win others' hearts; the only way is with love and kindness. The second point is that struggle and bad periods are needed in life for everyone, as it makes us strong. If you have strong willpower, goals and also the attitude of hard and smart work, you can definitely be a successful person in some areas of life, if I am not wrong. God always helps."

Some moments you always cherish in life.

I am planning to ask our friend for one more lunch or dinner at his home when comes back to our hometown. And I always tell him and remind him of one of the most remarkable days of my life, the day I had lunch with him and his parents.

View Of Life

Life is so amusing, what you do unto others will someday come back and haunt you.

Letting go is part of life, we need to teach ourselves how to say bye.

Moving on is essential to our maturity.

No one is immune to mistakes, they always happen.

How we react to them determines who we become.

Being afraid and ashamed is a sign of the lesson leaned.

We need to stop being selfish,lets start to think of the needs of others.

Reduce your lies and treat others with dignity.

If it happened, it was meant to, don’t stress about it (that’s why it is called the past).

Yesterday needed to be in order for today to come.

Live for today and rejoice yesterday because tomorrow awaits.

You are judged by how you treat others

Parade In Your Name

I want there to be a parade in your name.

I find myself looking past my balcony.

The hard rain. Coffee in hand.

It's peaceful outside.

Yet I find myself in pain, rage and anger.

Questioning,

Questioning the character of humankind.

I have not felt this rage, these demons or this power in some time.

And yet this morning I'm questioning,

I'm looking at life. Maybe mine too?

It's Tuesday, May 2nd, 2006. 6:40a.m.

Then. Just then a disabled women goes walking by.

I've seen her many a time.

Around 4:20p.m. walking from work back to her home.

Her disability makes it very hard for her to walk.

Yet everyday she does. She doesn't take a car or a bus.

Today was the first time I've seen her go to work

During these conditions.

Today was the first time I've seen her go to work

Enduring extra hardship.

Even on a day like this with the cold hard rain.

There she is, slowly walking to work.

She has character. She is accountable. And I wept!

I want there to be a parade in her name.

Able or disabled?

In the dictionary it states;

Disabled "to make unable, unfit or disqualified."

And at that point,

I thought she was the only person that was able, fit and qualified.

For she gave me strength.

She gave me strength thru her example.

My body was now less in trouble

I could face the day.

I could face this day.

I can face any day.

Like a real one, all people should gather for you

Have a Child's Mindset

When you think about children of the toddler age, or are blessed to experience them yourself, you come to a realization that they are always on the move, never wanting to stop. They go through each day with more enthusiasm than a grown up can ever imagine and never tire. They coast through their early years often with no real trouble and usually with a smile on their faces.

Children seem to have something about them that we as grownups lost somewhere along the line. They have the ability to forgive quickly, not really worry about things and get frustrated over things, and just enjoy the simple things in life, while never taking them for granted. They never hold grudges and never hold resentments against someone, and if for some strange reason they do, they are playing and interacting with them the next day on the playground.

I had experiences with my two daughters when I walked in their room and they were in their cribs. They would jump up and down, screaming with happiness and great big smiles on their faces. I often wondered what they were smiling and happy about? Was it their birthday? Was it Christmas? Were we leaving on vacation to Disney??

The answer to those questions is No... It was not their birthday, nor was it Christmas and we were not going to Disney... They were just excited about the dawning of a new day. They are happy to embrace a new day and cannot wait to start it! That is where I started to think... I thought to myself...

Why can't adults behave like this?

When did we lose this zest for life?

Can we get it back and keep it?

Too many times as adults, we forget how to live our lives happily and the days seem to slip on by. Sometimes people tend to mope around, sadly to say, over a variety of things that are out of their control like the weather, or something that happened to them in the past, or even something as silly as someone talking about them at the water cooler. Sometimes, people live not just one day like this, but many. They do not know that they cannot get that day or days back... Ever! They repeatedly sob and sulk and in the interim, try to bring others to their level.

We are not on this earth to be miserable. We are on it for reasons: To take each day and make the best out of it. To face new challenges and grow from them. To spill over our joy and happiness in the event that someone else will be infected by it.

We and our emotions are contagious to the people that surround us, be it strangers or loved ones. Like the children that are on this planet, we need to seize the day. We are not on this earth for infinity, but only for a short time.

Today, go back to when you were a child and live without the troublesome melancholy that can seem to swallow you up at times. When you wake in the morning, don't be grumpy and sad because it is too early. Spring out of that bed and hit the floor running like the children do. Make your whole day a game of sorts, and when tomorrow comes, play it again but this time, do it better.

Life comes at you very fast and when it does, you have to be ready. Before you know it, your children will have children and your time on this earth will be coming to an end.

I do not know about you, but I always want to have the mental freedom of a child and will play this game of life daily. I will reflect back on my losses and not fret about them, but seek the knowledge I need so it never happens again.

What can I say? I do not want to grow up.

--- Copyright © 2010 Rich Barnes

* If you plant honesty, you will reap trust

* If you plant goodness, you will reap friends

* If you plant humility, you will reap greatness

* If you plant perseverance, you will reap contentment

* If you plant consideration, you will reap perspective

* If you plant hard work, you will reap success

* If you plant forgiveness, you will reap reconciliation

So, be careful what you plant now; it will determine what you will reap later.

"Whatever You Give To Life, Life Gives You Back"

"The best motivating is self-motivating. The guy says, 'I wish someone would come by and turn me on.' What if they don't show up? You've got to have a better plan for your life."

--- Jim Rohn

"If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one."

--- Cavett Robert

How do you know if you're in love, in lust, or really married? For those of you who have any questions, or misplaced envy, this should clear it up:

LOVE - When your eyes meet across a crowded room.

LUST - When your tongues meet across a crowded room.

MARRIAGE - When you lose your child in crowded room.

LOVE - When intercourse is called "making love."

LUST - When intercourse is called "screwing."

MARRIAGE - What the hell are you talking about?

LOVE - When you share everything you own.

LUST - When you steal everything they own.

MARRIAGE - When the bank owns everything.

LOVE - When it doesn't matter if you don't climax.

LUST - When the relationship is over if you don't climax.

MARRIAGE - What's a climax?

LOVE - When you write poems about your partner.

LUST - When all you write is your phone number.

MARRIAGE - When all you write is checks.

LOVE - When you show concern for your partner's feelings.

LUST - When you couldn't give a &*%$

MARRIAGE -When your only concern is what's on TV.

LOVE - When your farewell is "I love you, darling..."

LUST - When your farewell is "So, same time next week..."

MARRIAGE - When your farewell is a relief.

LOVE - When you are proud to be seen in public with your partner.

LUST - When you only see each other naked.

MARRIAGE - When you never see each other awake.

LOVE - When your heart flutters every time you see them.

LUST - When your groin twitches every time you see them.

MARRIAGE - When your wallet empties every time you see them.

LOVE - When nobody else matters.

LUST - When nobody else knows.

MARRIAGE - When everybody else matters and you don't care who knows.

LOVE - When all the songs on the radio describe exactly how you feel.

LUST - When the song on the radio determines how you do it.

MARRIAGE - When you listen to talk radio.

LOVE - When breaking up is something you try not to think about.

LUST - When staying together is something you try not to think about.

MARRIAGE - When just getting through today is your only thought.

LOVE - When you're only interested in doing things with your partner.

LUST - When you're only interested in doing things TO your partner.

MARRIAGE - When you're only interested in your golf score.

A man, (looking for love, and the answer to what women want), leaves his one bedroom apartment, to head off to work on a monday morning. The man was on routine... first the train, then the office, and then the coffee shop in the evening, before heading hom (6 days a week)

...as he locks his apartment door, he catches his neighbor, Maurice...

...Maurice is a Freshman in college. Maurice watches silent movies, but is too embarrased to tell his friends. He also enjoys the 'crisp' sound of autumn leaves that he use to trod on as a kid. He wants to be an artist...

...Maurice had a worried expression on his face...

"What's the problem Maurice?", the man asked

"I'm just a little short on cash, that's all", Maurice replied.

The man digs into his pocket (knowing Maurice hasn't eaten a decent meal in days), and hands over a 50 and 20 dollar bills...

"Pay me back whenever", he says with a smile.

Maurice, gracefully, accepted the money...

------------------------------------------------------------------

Maurice usually walked to school. But with the extra cash today, he could afford the bus ride. He got on the bus, and sat down, next to an older man...

...the man's name was George...

George was an old man. Retired. He had lived through two wars, and faught in Vietnam. His friends would call him NUTS. But really, 'they' were the ones who were 'NUTS'. George misses his friends - all but him, are dead...

..."Excuse me Sir", asked Maurice

..."WHAT IS IT!!??", exclaimed George

..."Thank You...thank you", replied Maurice

..."FOR WHAT!?'

..."Well, I see that Vietnam badge on your shirt, and I just want to thank YOU, for fighting for ME."...Maurice was the next stop, he went to school...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

George was sitting there, in the bus, thinking what the young man told him. And all of a sudden, a tear drop and a hollow feeling of warmth/happiness/and sadness hit him...HE FINALLY FELT HUMAN...

...with this new found spirit, George called his wife, and said...

"Marry, I love you".

Marry met George when she was 15. They were high school sweethearts. She married at 18, and has been his companion in life...however, today was a SPECIAL day. It was the first time she heard those words...I LOVE YOU, from George, in over 40 years.

Marry didn't say anything...she tried hard, but tears came first, and then, the quaint reply...I LOVE YOU TOO

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

- Abraham Lincoln

There's nothing as beautiful as the happiness of a child

The true way to soften one's troubles is to solace those of others.

- Madame De Maintenon

"Every morning is a fresh beginning. Every day is the world made new. Today is a new day. Today is my world made new. I have lived all my life up to this moment, to come to this day. This moment--this day--is as good as any moment in all eternity. I shall make of this day--each moment of this day--a heaven on earth. This is my day of opportunity."

Dan Custer

• Guest locked this topic