Male HQ

Have You Been Called Uncle + When Do You Feel Old? + How Old To Be An Uncle? (Compiled)

Nowadays when u eat at coffeeshop or buy food, the stall seller call every guy uncle without looking at the guy's face!

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Spend time counting your blessings,

not airing your complaints.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am 24, I have been called uncle by parents telling their kid " see uncle staring at you already dont naughty" and I'm like... mdm. I'm only 24!

Fattie bom bom walk down the street

I was called Xiao Jie twice when I was having slightly above shoulder hair. :P

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest Not yet 40

I am 24, I have been called uncle by parents telling their kid " see uncle staring at you already dont naughty" and I'm like... mdm. I'm only 24!

But to a kid, 24 is considered uncle.

I am ok with kids or even teenagers calling me uncle... but when senior citizens call me that, I will just pretend I didn't hear them. :angry2:

But to a kid, 24 is considered uncle.

I am ok with kids or even teenagers calling me uncle... but when senior citizens call me that, I will just pretend I didn't hear them. :angry2:

True enough, but I dont really care that much to be honest haha

Fattie bom bom walk down the street

In my definition, it's for those from 40s and above i.e. middle age.

However, with most ginna these days, 18 - 25 is considered young.

Anyone above 26 is probably an uncle.  :(

Never mind what they call you out in society, it's their culture but

when many of my FB and club friends snidely talk about over 25 as already "uncle"  .....

This PLU generation has turned "uncle" into a bad word. It's just a blink of an eye, only a year or two more and then who are they? Soon, condemned themselves to be out-of-shape and stay-at-home "ex-twinks."

Then the smug insecurity.  " being long winded n elaborate oso a sign of ageing. "  Dunno how 2xpress mor n 1 line of text chat? Covering up poor English, or WTF?

• 1 year later...

I have travelled and worked overseas and no one out there addresses me as uncle , they address me by name at work or Sir ,boss, brother by servers , in the west , the server will address anyone above 1 year old as sir ! But over here , being addressed as uncle , I really felt uncomfortable . Maybe I should also start addressing all above 30 year olds as auntie and uncle from now ....'cause I have encountered quite a number of white hair and much older than me addressing me as such ! Are they blind ?

In a queue or asking question at a service counter , a Caucasian will be acknowledged as Sir but the local next in line might be addressed as uncle , second class treatment yet ?!

shit! i was only 19 yr old . went to the market to get some veg, this aunty call me UNCLE can i help u? i turn my head and walk away , dun want to partonise her store. i look so old meh that allow her to call me uncle? all young gay dun wish to be call uncle i think.

its the old ppl way of addressing.

to them, unlce and auntie are synonyms for sir/madam.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

its the old ppl way of addressing.

to them, unlce and auntie are synonyms for sir/madam.

But addressing Sir does not define age whereas uncle does , you can address a one year old to 100 year old as Sir but not uncle , got that ?! Will you addres a Caucasian uncle ?! No , it will be Sir right away !

In sg, as long a kid sees that u r older than him, we are forced to be called uncle!

At the hawker,foodcourt , many white-haired old men addressed me as "uncle" , when they are a few decades older than me!!!!!!!!!!!! goodness me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is kinda of rude, even my neighbour's maid address me as "uncle" ....do not blame her cos she is forced to do it like the rest of the sporeans ....
I address people as "Mr" / "Sir", "Hi" can I help  u, when someone approached me

My "uncle"s (of blood-relation) will be addressed as uncle...

They usually speak the truth. Time to seek HELP!!

Any Fashion Guru here to help the poor soul http://www.blowingwind.org/forum/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/bw2/twisted.gif

The truth is they are stupid and low class ! My cute Hk friend put on hollister short ,wear Tiffany bracelet , on Van's shoes , carry Y-3, yet was also addressed as Uncle !

I really feel honoured when a younger person called me uncle .  I know they are showing their respect to me who are older.  Calling older person uncle is a polite Asian way by a younger generation.  But in the west, young children will call  much older person by their personal name .  it is their culture and personally I find their way is less polite.

I personally love this uncle/aunty thing that asian culture has going on.

It's so cute.

It's very respectful IMHO

Try being referred to as………. lots of not so nice names and see how... you like that.

I dream of being called an uncle by someone younger than me and not…….. you f*%#king old C%#@t

So my message to my asian brothers is…..don't take it for granted. ;)

Edited by passinthenight

I think it's fine to be called uncle by someone younger or even your age.  But it is not appropriate to call your customers  "uncle".  It is too informal, in my opinion.  Imagine an air hostess or hotel receptionist calling you "uncle" instead of "sir".

As I have youthful look even I no longer a spring chicken so nobody yet called me "uncle" to me it is better as has a degree of respect to someone older than you, I hate being addressed as "mate" in Australia even in professional envorinment such as customs, goverment  bodies, retails, etc I got very annoyed by it as I much prefer being addressed as "Sir" like in the U.S.

I think it's fine to be called uncle by someone younger or even your age.  But it is not appropriate to call your customers  "uncle".  It is too informal, in my opinion.  Imagine an air hostess or hotel receptionist calling you "uncle" instead of "sir".

Yup agree

As I have youthful look even I no longer a spring chicken so nobody yet called me "uncle" to me it is better as has a degree of respect to someone older than you, I hate being addressed as "mate" in Australia even in professional envorinment such as customs, goverment  bodies, retails, etc I got very annoyed by it as I much prefer being addressed as "Sir" like in the U.S.

You can also address a person as "Mister" but definitely not "uncle". I will treat that as no manners to the customers.

Guest Fit Uncle

Being called uncle is only a respectful neutral term.

I myself is already an uncle. I wear the same cheap clothes as those uncles in the wet market.

But...my cheap clothes are clean and good fit because I'm fit and confident. My skin is still smooth and shiny, my hair is full, well combed and tidy. I walk with a spring in my steps because I'm confident.

That's all that matters.

Generally, nothing wrong being called uncle. I got use to it. It is a little weird when you least expect it by a certain age for sure. heh.

But true there are people say it not as verbal respect but as a mean of cheap attack. I have no problem for sexual encounter situation and some one say not interested uncle, I am fine with that. No skin off my back.

It is in the professional setting be they senior bosses or juniors or peers especially when age difference is obvious. When they can't win over a talking point for example, they take that chance hit below the belt and exclaim emphasis..like the following  'UNCLE there is more then one way to do things', UNCLE you sure or not?' or 'UNCLE it is my right to think that way!'  for examples.

But if you are at fault, took offends for something not even directed at you or was an attack, as a mean to bully to put someone in their place using that tone.... that is a fuckup move. It tells me you have lost thus resort to petty girly name calling. Now it's open season on your ass.

Another shitty example are those who feel they can not beat you to the girl or guy and if they see the girl paying more attention to that other guy and if he is older, you will see the younger idiot calling that guy UNCLE a lot more time in front of women or guys. But this never effect me but it does show to me that he is worry I can be competition to him heheh

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Fret not lah!

She used the word as a term of endearment.

She may be less educated and she used it as a common term for all male customers.

Just like in the old days, the term used was : Boss, brother.... even though we aint boss or we are not related to them..

Now would you prefer this auntie to call you - Dude, 靓仔 (handsome)

She is just one of the many retards!

Feeling Old and being called an Uncle are really two separate and non related issues heheh

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Fret not lah!

She used the word as a term of endearment.

She may be less educated and she used it as a common term for all male customers.

Just like in the old days, the term used was : Boss, brother.... even though we aint boss or we are not related to them..

Now would you prefer this auntie to call you - Dude, 靓仔 (handsome)

So bloody difficult for them to address others as big brother or small brother ?!

• G_M changed the title to Have You Been Called Uncle + When Do You Feel Old? + How Old To Be An Uncle? (Compiled)
  • G_M locked this topic
  • G_M locked and locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic