Male HQ

Driving License & Driving School / Lessons Discussion (Compiled)

Guest SeriousGuy

Guest SeriousGuy

Hi guys, i know nothing about driving but i feel that is good to have a driving license. Can anyone give me advices what should i do from start?

Thanks.

Guest Naughty

Ahha I was going to say the same lol

Hope this could help you ...

Driving school students usually get earlier dates for their theory and practical tests, but they need to fulfill a minimum number of lessons before being allowed to go for the TP practical test.

Private students engaging private driving instructors have the freedom to do any number of lessons they deem fit. It usually takes at least 20 lessons for a rookie to fully master basic control of a vehicle.

Each lesson (1.5 hours) cost around $30-$36, adding in the various administrative fees, enrollment fees, vehicle rental fee on the TP day itself, the whole journey should cost you about $500 to $1000 provided if you do well in the tests.

Either way you need to enroll to a driving centre to book for a test date for your Basic Theory Test (BTT). Upon passing it, you will book for a test date for the Final Theory Test (FTT). After passing the FTT, you will apply for the Provisional Driving Licence (PDL, valid for 6 months) so as to be allowed to drive on normal roads as a Learner Driver (L Plate).

While waiting for the TP practical test date, you will undergo practical lessons in circuit and on normal roads.

Unquote

Hope this could help you ...

Driving school students usually get earlier dates for their theory and practical tests, but they need to fulfill a minimum number of lessons before being allowed to go for the TP practical test.

Private students engaging private driving instructors have the freedom to do any number of lessons they deem fit. It usually takes at least 20 lessons for a rookie to fully master basic control of a vehicle.

Each lesson (1.5 hours) cost around $30-$36, adding in the various administrative fees, enrollment fees, vehicle rental fee on the TP day itself, the whole journey should cost you about $500 to $1000 provided if you do well in the tests.

Either way you need to enroll to a driving centre to book for a test date for your Basic Theory Test (BTT). Upon passing it, you will book for a test date for the Final Theory Test (FTT). After passing the FTT, you will apply for the Provisional Driving Licence (PDL, valid for 6 months) so as to be allowed to drive on normal roads as a Learner Driver (L Plate).

While waiting for the TP practical test date, you will undergo practical lessons in circuit and on normal roads.

Unquote

any more shortcut ?

Guest Just Pass

Hiring a private instructor will cost about 36 to 42 for 1.5 hours.

And usually the instructor will only let you take the practical test after you learn 30 hours.

therefore , you will need to spend about 1k to 1.2k if you managed to pass the first time.

Learn your driving from a private instructor shld be faster than driving sch. Cos heard driving sch require to go tru many stages before u can proceed to next stage etc, and also need to pass mock test before can take your actual test.

• 2 years later...
Guest eagertolearn

hey peeps urgently need some advice.

have just ord-ed and have 5 months before my university begins. i wish to get a class 3a license but cant decide whether i should go private or thorugh a school.

if private, any recommendations?

cost is gonna be a BIG consideration since im paying out of my pocket.

any advice would be much appreciated!

thanks! =D

Private instructors are usually cheaper, whereas for schools you tend to get slightly earlier test dates. Schools also allow you unlimited use of the circuit, whereas for private I think you have to pay per use.

5 months is pushing it a little bit though unless you have already passed your Basic Theory Test. Test dates can be between 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 months away.

I went the school route, coz got parents' sponsor. I was still in NS, with just 5 months away from ord, and wanted to get the class 3 license before i ord. Enrolled on 25/07, started practical lesson on 05/09, and passed practical test on 23/11. coz i was a stay-out personnel in NS, so i could have practical lessons almost everyday after I booked out. Cost around $2500 total from enrollment to practical test.

皆々様には、御機嫌麗しゅう、恐悦至極に存じ奉ります。

Private instructors are usually cheaper, whereas for schools you tend to get slightly earlier test dates.

now private test dates are really very far back behind. if u fail TP and wanna book for the next one, it can be almost 4 months later!

agree with the above..

IIRC during my time (2003?), my friend taking private waiting time for TP test is about 2 months, the re-test (he failed 1st time) is 3 months!

My waiting time using school is 2 weeks, if fail next month can take again (heng I pass 1st time, but then I'm taking 3A :oops: )

Edited by bailey

Guest Swimblue

School: more expensive. Faster booking time for test. More practices within circuit n access to computer room for theory exam. Driving instructor is not fixed; some may not fit u.

Private: cheaper. Long waiting time for test. More road experience. U can get used to the same driving instructor which some ppl prefer.

. after calalcution gov test center is cheaper and is easier to pass. private is more expensive and harder to pass., u might need to retake 10 time to pass.also during triaining private instructor will just sit below the tree and ask u to do the parking yrself.

School: more expensive. Faster booking time for test. More practices within circuit n access to computer room for theory exam. Driving instructor is not fixed; some may not fit u.

Private: cheaper. Long waiting time for test. More road experience. U can get used to the same driving instructor which some ppl prefer.

If you found a instructor you like, you can always request for him... I got a instructor that is always tagged to me

• Guest locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.