Male HQ

All About Gym & Gym Memberships In Sg & Which Gym To Join? (Compiled)

maledae

1 hour ago, Steve5380 said:

Have you asked him to share the machine?

If he refused, did you get the manager to talk to him?

Will he tell this manager that he owns the gym?

Are you the only one who always waits for him to relinquish the machine?

If not, it helps to make a common cause with others, it can start a friendship.

Once I had forgotten to remove my towel from the machine and one guy walked up to me and asked in a scarastic manner if I owned the machine?   

Why can't he think positively that sometimes, people do forget things and just tell me that I had left my towel on the machine? 

2 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Suppose you are on the machine when the guy comes back.

If there is a confrontation, be LOUD so people in the crowded gym can witness the incident.

If he goes and brings the manager, explain to him that the machine was abandoned when you took it, and at least you want to work in.

If the fierce guy tries to move you by force, let everybody witness this and then when security comes press charges of assault against the guy.

What if the guy placed a towel on the machine and walked off?

15 minutes ago, Guest Towel said:

Once I had forgotten to remove my towel from the machine and one guy walked up to me and asked in a scarastic manner if I owned the machine?   

Why can't he think positively that sometimes, people do forget things and just tell me that I had left my towel on the machine? 

Maybe you are the minority that genuine forgotten about your towel on the machine, but majority of people purposely placed their towel on the machine, so that guy asked you in a sarastic manner?

8 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Just put the towel to the side and carry on using the machine.  The unwritten rule is, once you walked away from the machine, to the toilet or water cooler, you have to queue again from the back. 

51 minutes ago, Guest queue said:

Just put the towel to the side and carry on using the machine.  The unwritten rule is, once you walked away from the machine, to the toilet or water cooler, you have to queue again from the back. 

What if the unwritten rule in the gym is the same as those lunch crowds who use tissue to chop table at food centre, then when the guy come back might confronted you don't know the towel on the machine means someone is using.

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

What if the unwritten rule in the gym is the same as those lunch crowds who use tissue to chop table at food centre, then when the guy come back might confronted you don't know the towel on the machine means someone is using.

11 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

As Guest queue wrote, put the towel aside carefully in an appropriate place and use the machine.

When the guy comes back, he most probably will take his towel and move on.

But if he says that "the towel means that someone is using the machine" or something like that,

tell him that towels don't use the machines, don't exercise.

The machines are for the PEOPLE, not for their towels. 

One can have consideration for people who move away momentarily, to take a sip of water for example, and leave a belonging at the machine.

But an object left behind, a towel, a smartphone, the keys or whatever, should not lock in the possession of a machine.

In principle,  machines for public use should be left free of personal objects.

The possession of the machine should last for the time A PERSON is on the machine,  not a THING.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

CC gym is good enough. body weight training is good. There's a saying that says when you cant even do proper push up with your body weight why bother to go to gym? You can even do chin up or pull up in the fitness corner. Its all free. The same principles apply. You cant even pull yourself up with your body weight why bother to go to gym?

Long cardio exercise is actually not good. same with long distance running like marathon. you will develop scar in your heart. HIIT is good enough. try stair climbing and short sprint. Its all free. Outdoor exercise with fresh air is better than in enclosed environment.

5 hours ago, helloitsme said:

i'm almost one year into FF, paying about 164-168 per month.

does any kind soul know how to negotiate for a lower monthly rate or any good bundle deals?

or any other good advice?

You can go to the manager of the gym and ask the same questions.  

Tell him that you are not willing or unable to pay so much and you are looking for better value.

4 hours ago, Spin said:

Actually is it not where u gym at.

Is it how you do your gym :yuk:

Actually, it is a combination of both.

Some people like me can gym anywhere, even at home.

Others benefit more from an environment of serious people, good equipment, good hours, proximity.

What definitely is not recommended is to go to a gym for eye candy.  That is best handled in saunas.

13 hours ago, helloitsme said:

i'm almost one year into FF, paying about 164-168 per month.

does any kind soul know how to negotiate for a lower monthly rate or any good bundle deals?

or any other good advice?

I paid $60 plus monthly for True Fitness membership.

U can save $100 every month :yuk:

:whistle:

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, kidster said:

I'm tall and lean by nature. 177cm by 63kg

I find it very hard to gain mass. I only hit 65kg once in my entire life.

How can I gain mass / bulkiness without taking artificial products? Thanks.

177 is not tall... 

you Ou need to eat more proteins and healthy fats. It will help. If price is a concern, don't be afraid of milk and eggs. They are healthy proteins.

10 hours ago, kidster said:

I suffer the same fate. 170 63.  I was heaviest at 65 when I had regular personal training and was on protein powder.  Once I stopped, everything rescinded. Better to come to terms with our genetic make up. Eat more lean protein like what asiafly said, but even that, gotta watch the balance as we get older.. not careful can get fat wan.

9 hours ago, ejszaka said:

I suffer the same fate. 170 63.  I was heaviest at 65 when I had regular personal training and was on protein powder.  Once I stopped, everything rescinded. Better to come to terms with our genetic make up. Eat more lean protein like what asiafly said, but even that, gotta watch the balance as we get older.. not careful can get fat wan.

Indeed, in the end is about looking good naked... nobody would need you to look like an inflated balloon. Ripped is good enough and actually sexy. Don't fear the proteins and fat, I promise you. What you need is regulate your carb intake, especially the fast ones (white flour, white rice, etc.). Just my own experience. 

23 hours ago, kidster said:

It's all about calorie intake. If you are consuming less than your calorie usage, it is very hard to gain mass. Having said that, I do not mean just eat anything to increase their calorie intake (unless you are really skinny, but it doesn't seem so from your dp). I would suggest include one to two extra meals, e.g. nuts, fruits, sandwich, salad etc into your existing regular meals. Take progressive increments in calorie intake, coupled with consistent exercise, you should increase mass. But I would have to say it usually takes (a long) time and consistent effort to see the result you desire.

On 2/12/2017 at 10:23 AM, kidster said:

Blessed are we who worry about gaining or maintaining weight instead of losing it. :)

As long as we are not malnourished, it is fine to weight less than what we want.

If we want to be bigger, the best is to want to be more muscular instead of more weight.

To become more muscular the way is to do heavy lifting in a gym,

and eat enough natural good proteins and complex carbohydrates.

And then, let the body do its own adjustment to its optimum weight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest guest

Has anyone tried ritual gym before? Seems really convenient but I'm not sure how effective is the training there. Any idea how much the membership there costs?

On 17/02/2017 at 2:08 PM, asiafly said:

Virgin Active goers, how is Raffles Place these days? I haven't been in 2 years. Is it still as busy since opening of Tanjong Pagar? Are mornings better?

RP is closed for all ALL WEEKENDS including good friday, all 5 weekends saturdays and sundays for repairs

yes its busy during peak hour, more managable in TP though , dunno about mornings

On 25/03/2017 at 6:22 PM, Guest guest said:

Has anyone tried ritual gym before? Seems really convenient but I'm not sure how effective is the training there. Any idea how much the membership there costs?

they are a everything HIIT/cross fit type of place ?

what do you mean by effective?

I'm looking to change my FF membership to Gymm Boxx at Keat Hong CC which is just opposite Lot One. Apparently, FF requires one month notice period. So you still gotta pay one more month of around $165 before you can terminate. Gymm Boxx has an offer for Singtel customers that's really worth it. Three or four power racks, come on man!

My friend says FF is more for executives, with the classes and cardio and all, whereas Gymm Boxx is really more for weight lifting and weight training.

4 hours ago, Creevie said:

I'm looking to change my FF membership to Gymm Boxx at Keat Hong CC which is just opposite Lot One. Apparently, FF requires one month notice period. So you still gotta pay one more month of around $165 before you can terminate. Gymm Boxx has an offer for Singtel customers that's really worth it. Three or four power racks, come on man!

My friend says FF is more for executives, with the classes and cardio and all, whereas Gymm Boxx is really more for weight lifting and weight training.

Not really..if you have looked at Bugis FF outlet, you will know the difference. Furthermore, the recent changes and implementation of "playgrounds" with all the racks, powerlifting plates, etc, its obvious how much they re trying to cater to the mass. Westgate hasn't got much space for the new changes but yea, changes are coming to every outlet bit by bit. One thing I do agree is the steep monthly dues. But oh well..each to his or her own. Some people prefer certain places due to convenience, etc.

17 hours ago, Creevie said:

working crowd people go to all sorts of gyms leh..... cannot generalise in that manner
butof course different business models target different demographics

4 hours ago, heliumduck said:

working crowd people go to all sorts of gyms leh..... cannot generalise in that manner
butof course different business models target different demographics

Yes, I was generalizing but a tad too much ;)

17 hours ago, xydboy said:

Not really..if you have looked at Bugis FF outlet, you will know the difference. Furthermore, the recent changes and implementation of "playgrounds" with all the racks, powerlifting plates, etc, its obvious how much they re trying to cater to the mass. Westgate hasn't got much space for the new changes but yea, changes are coming to every outlet bit by bit. One thing I do agree is the steep monthly dues. But oh well..each to his or her own. Some people prefer certain places due to convenience, etc.

I agree with the playround rahrah stuff haha... seen it at Clementi FF before. Haven't been to Bugis yet.

One thing good about FF though, is that the locations are many. Nice feel. Maybe snob appeal too, coz some ppl only pay expensive instead of cheapo. Like how POSB may be seen by some as "mass market" and OCBC as more prestigious. Just grossly generalizing la hahaha...

Another good thing is that because of the price, there are less noisy students.

On 4/1/2017 at 9:09 PM, Creevie said:

I switched from FF a while ago, took up gymm boxx for a period of time. I find gymm boxx tends to be pretty crowded mainly because they accept pay per entry. It's convenient for some but it get full easily during peak and mostly with uni students. Even though it's supposedly gear toward more serious lifter, I find a number of them to be pretty lacking in gym etiquette.

On 4/4/2017 at 1:29 AM, kratos said:

I switched from FF a while ago, took up gymm boxx for a period of time. I find gymm boxx tends to be pretty crowded mainly because they accept pay per entry. It's convenient for some but it get full easily during peak and mostly with uni students. Even though it's supposedly gear toward more serious lifter, I find a number of them to be pretty lacking in gym etiquette.

I get that impression too, that it's cheaper than FF so students come... haha zzz . And yes, pay per entry is a spoiler.

Guest Guest
On 03/04/2017 at 0:03 PM, EugeneSin said:

Oh good.... Have been with pure since 2012 but.. Lol till now don't see or get to know pure member in bw

On 03/04/2017 at 0:03 PM, EugeneSin said:

Oh good.... Have been with pure since 2012 but.. Lol till now don't see or get to know pure member in bw

Have, just that it has a more atas clientele.

Guest Sport-coholic
On 02/04/2017 at 1:19 AM, xydboy said:

FF members here can probably form a team and play the 'Game of Zones' at Bugis.

Guest Sport-coholic
2 hours ago, heliumduck said:

whats that ?

There are some videos on Fitness First FB page as well. But I think they have taken out 'Muay Fight Pro'.

2599_OUgrjivwPPfjCM2i_.jpg

bugis-zone.pdf

Edited by Sport-coholic

2 hours ago, reubensteel said:

I am considering starting to go gym and the nearest to my work is fitness first. How much does it cost ? Will they also help teach how to use equipment correctly and proper workouts ? 

It should range between 160-170. Need to check out with the consultants there because its based on per package and also other stuff. As for teaching, I believe they might dish out a fitness package or some welcome training to you to orientate you and get you started on the fitness journey. Again do ask them about it. They will provide you with the most up todate pricing.

4 hours ago, reubensteel said:

I am considering starting to go gym and the nearest to my work is fitness first. How much does it cost ? Will they also help teach how to use equipment correctly and proper workouts ? 

Hmmm....  from the rates quoted by Xydboy you will be spending like $2,000 per year...  for some short orientation training and then the use of the facilities.  Nothing else.

I might suggest something that every young (and not so young) person AT LEAST should look into:  the AIKIDO martial art.  I understand that there are  Aikido dojos throughout Singapore.

I found out later in life about Aikido, and I wish I had known about it when I was younger.  Now I have been practicing it for two years, and  I am amazed by the physical and spiritual gain that is changing my life.  You are looking for a short teaching of how to use some workout equipment, while Aikido will teach you how to use YOUR OWN BODY to the best for a long time, maybe over a decade of learning. Many students where I go, black-belts by now, have been there 6 years or more. Since I started, nobody has quit this training except some beginners who come and go and don't last long. This is a good recommendation.  Aikido is a defensive, not offensive martial art, and the risk of getting injured is practically nil. 

Edited by Steve5380

• 2 weeks later...

I can update you all on my change from FF to GymmBoxx ytd. FF is $165/mth. To terminate, you have to give one month's notice, so you gotta pay one more full month. FF has been great for me. Now, because of location and work timing, I've switched to Gymm Boxx Classic (I'm gonna frequent GymmBoxx Keat Hong CC) . It's $720/year but if you're a SingTel mobile subscriber, it's 15% off. That's $612. Plus admin fee is $642 (You can use OCBC CashFlo card to split payment among three months, or one shot in whatever payment mode you prefer lah).

Went this morning 5:20-6:30am, around 8 ppl when I arrived, around 16 ppl when I left. Main noticeable differences between here and FF, other than being cheaper, having pay per entry, no classes, no pool, no steamroom, no free locker, no attire and towel provided, are:

- barbell seems to be lighter than ActiveSG and FF bars which are 20kg. This one maybe 15kg. Thinner, rougher knurling, and because it's thinner, more pressure on ur palms. Gonna get gloves now.

- three squat racks (Bishan branch has four!).

- 50kg dumbbells available whereas FF and ActiveSG do not, though I do not utilize that kind of weight now.

- 24 hours

-Equipment is all new and posh looking and plentiful in variety. FF has great equipment too, so this is not a big difference.

When I signed up, there were four people who took turns to attend to me because it was 7pm and a lot of ppl were signing in. They were all friendly and seemed like they cared about doing their job, because you'd think that the cheap GymmBoxx membership meant that staff were cheaply hired and thus had lousy attitudes. Not the case. When I went this morning, one abang uncle was manning the place, and he was quite on the job, smiling, greeting by name (after scanning in my card); overall decent personnel they have. With FF, there're always PTs around, and you all know each other by face if you frequent the same outlet. Gymmboxx, well, I'd say the staff are not glum-looking, quite approachable, all smiles and eager to serve. Of course, I was a friendly and sensible customer too, so it's all reciprocal lah hahaha.

I go in the morning so no noisy and inconsiderate sec sch students (and sometimes uni students). So far so good. Hope this has been informative.

If you don't mind FF and the posh feel u get from there, go for FF. Me now, I have a kind of mental block where after work, I want to be relaxed. After morning gym, after your shower at home, you change for work and you look in the mirror, you'll see that you look fresh and energized, and you feel energized too!

Edited by Creevie

1 hour ago, Creevie said:

I can update you all on my change from FF to GymmBoxx ytd. FF is $165/mth. To terminate, you have to give one month's notice, so you gotta pay one more full month. FF has been great for me. Now, because of location and work timing, I've switched to Gymm Boxx Classic (I'm gonna frequent GymmBoxx Keat Hong CC) . It's $720/year but if you're a SingTel mobile subscriber, it's 15% off. That's $612. Plus admin fee is $642 (You can use OCBC CashFlo card to split payment among three months, or one shot in whatever payment mode you prefer lah).

Went this morning 5:20-6:30am, around 8 ppl when I arrived, around 16 ppl when I left. Main noticeable differences between here and FF, other than being cheaper, having pay per entry, no classes, no pool, no steamroom, no free locker, no attire and towel provided, are:

- barbell seems to be lighter than ActiveSG and FF bars which are 20kg. This one maybe 15kg. Thinner, rougher knurling, and because it's thinner, more pressure on ur palms. Gonna get gloves now.

- 50kg dumbbells available whereas FF and ActiveSG do not, though I do not utilize that kind of weight now.

- 24 hours

-Equipment is all new and posh looking and plentiful in variety. FF has great equipment too, so this is not a big difference.

-----

I am always amazed by the high cost of gyms in Singapore.  I live in Texas and I have been going to a 24 Hour Fitness gym for over 10 years, and after prepaying for 3 years i now pay about SG$ 150 per year.  The cost of land is understandably much higher in Singapore than Texas, but still... my gym has great variety of equipment plus indoor pool, although it does not provide towel services, which I can do without. 

It is surprising that a commercial gym has bars that don't have the olympic dimensions (20 kg, 28 mm grip).

I am an early riser, and I could go to a gym very early.  But here, the gym is the most crowded at 6AM with so many people that exercise before work, and then it empties out at 8AM or so.  I like to go to the gym on Sundays at 5AM, when I am nearly the only one there...

10 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

I am always amazed by the high cost of gyms in Singapore.  I live in Texas and I have been going to a 24 Hour Fitness gym for over 10 years, and after prepaying for 3 years i now pay about SG$ 150 per year.  The cost of land is understandably much higher in Singapore than Texas, but still... my gym has great variety of equipment plus indoor pool, although it does not provide towel services, which I can do without. 

It is surprising that a commercial gym has bars that don't have the olympic dimensions (20 kg, 28 mm grip).

I am an early riser, and I could go to a gym very early.  But here, the gym is the most crowded at 6AM with so many people that exercise before work, and then it empties out at 8AM or so.  I like to go to the gym on Sundays at 5AM, when I am nearly the only one there...

That's why it's a perk for gyms to be a little expensive. I don't like rowdy young things crowding up the gym. 

I switched to Gymmboxx because of its proximity to my home and it being a 24-hour gym ;)

15 hours ago, Creevie said:

- 24 hours

When I signed up, there were four people who took turns to attend to me because it was 7pm and a lot of ppl were signing in. They were all friendly and seemed like they cared about doing their job, because you'd think that the cheap GymmBoxx membership meant that staff were cheaply hired and thus had lousy attitudes. Not the case. When I went this morning, one abang uncle was manning the place, and he was quite on the job, smiling, greeting by name (after scanning in my card); overall decent personnel they have. With FF, there're always PTs around, and you all know each other by face if you frequent the same outlet. Gymmboxx, well, I'd say the staff are not glum-looking, quite approachable, all smiles and eager to serve. Of course, I was a friendly and sensible customer too, so it's all reciprocal lah hahaha.

I go in the morning so no noisy and inconsiderate sec sch students (and sometimes uni students). So far so good. Hope this has been informative.

If you don't mind FF and the posh feel u get from there, go for FF. Me now, I have a kind of mental block where after work, I want to be relaxed. After morning gym, after your shower at home, you change for work and you look in the mirror, you'll see that you look fresh and energized, and you feel energized too!

Which FF did you go to? There are some outlets that carries 50kg dumbbells, such as metropolis. I love 24 hours gym actually, but sadly none is near my estate. 24 hours gym are mainly catered to people who either drive or are walking distance to the gym. Gym is 24 hours but transportation isn't. LOL!

34 minutes ago, xydboy said:

Which FF did you go to? There are some outlets that carries 50kg dumbbells, such as metropolis. I love 24 hours gym actually, but sadly none is near my estate. 24 hours gym are mainly catered to people who either drive or are walking distance to the gym. Gym is 24 hours but transportation isn't. LOL!

You are right. If the gym is open this does not help during the hours the MRT and other public transportation are halted.

This is different in Texas.  Here everyone needs to have a car to get around,  and driving to the gym at 4AM is a pleasure because streets are empty and there is parking place everywhere. 

Now, how about riding a bicycle at night through the empty streets of Singapore?  Wouldn't this be easy, safe, and a good exercise?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.