Male HQ

All About Gym & Gym Memberships In Sg & Which Gym To Join? (Compiled)

maledae

Anyone knows where the club fitt at national stadium has shifted to.

From what I gathered when u check the NTUC website there are no club fitt listed there anymore.

Clubfitt doesn't belong to NTUC.

Go to Singapore Sports Council website to check whatever location that is opened.

For starters on gym and those on budget, Clubfitt is a good choice.

But do remember to bring your own workout towel. You will not be granted entry if you do not bring your towel.

Either you go home or buy a small towel on the spot.

Clubfitt per entry is $2.50

6 months membership entry is $170

A year membership is $310

Another choice is to join the Safra gym. But you need to become a Safra member first.

I can't remember the annual fee. Safra gym has a one time membership fee of around $250 to $350. Go to their website to check. Sometimes safra has promotion for membership fee waived. On top of that, monthly fee for the gym is $30 plus.

I always believe the top priority to join the gym is to look out on the location it is situated.

Is it convenient for you to travel there after work to access the gym ?

Also, the membership fee that can meet your budget.

Edited by ixmog

Can any enlighten, how much is FF membership now?

Membership really varies for everyone.

All these gyms go by hard selling tactics.

See who you get to approach by. Every sales person at the gym offered different membership fees.

If that sales person has reached his sales target. He may offer you a better package.

Here's an estimate of membership fee for the 3 gyms.

These prices are based on one time payment for 3 years sign up membership.

California Fitness per month is about $35 plus to $45 plus

True Fitness(previous name Planet Fitness) per month is about $40 plus to $50 plus

Fitness First per month $100 plus

Edited by ixmog

Actually, FF has only 2 plans, which is single gym and Passport plans. Passport plans allow you to travel to the different gyms as well as overseas gyms.

The price is about 120 for the single gym and 140 for the passport plan, without GST.

The only thing you can bargain for at FF is the sign-up fee.

• 6 months later...

Depends on which gym.

I am a member at both Fitness First and Cali

FF is more expensive. About $138 per month for membership to all clubs. Lesser if you want only 1 or 2 clubs.

Cali has offers and some rates like pay up S3K and get some offer in the following year and then subsequently membership can be as low as $8 a year.

Between the 2, Cali has the worse after-sales service. Really Really bad. People that cannot be bothered to handle your queries and they don't remind you of your annual fee and if you lose track of the dates, then you lose membership. Membership drives are plenty, they are very nice to you until you agree, then BOCHUP you, unless you sign on PT package.

Cali equipment need maintenance, toilets are smelly. Though plus point is that it is more cruisy.

FF at least has more integrity. Equipment also much better. Gym is maintained well. Good place to workout.

For membership, it depends on promotion actually ... I signed a 3 year contract with Cali so it ends up quite reasonalble around 60-70$/month, can use everyday. There is another topic about this.

Yes, I agree about the smelly toilet in Cali, they have many staffs to clean equipments but just dont understand why the toilet is still so so smelly.

I have one time free personal training for renewing contract but did no dare to ask for it again this time because then PTs in Cali keep calling me to ask for buying the PT package which I found is expensive.

It is good to know that FF is better, I always have idea that FF is worse ...may be their advertisement is not so good :D

Sometimes, the greatest journey is the distance between two people

Guest Goldigger

just out of curiosity, is there any reason why u join two gym ?

Depends on which gym.

I am a member at both Fitness First and Cali

FF is more expensive. About $138 per month for membership to all clubs. Lesser if you want only 1 or 2 clubs.

Cali has offers and some rates like pay up S3K and get some offer in the following year and then subsequently membership can be as low as $8 a year.

Between the 2, Cali has the worse after-sales service. Really Really bad. People that cannot be bothered to handle your queries and they don't remind you of your annual fee and if you lose track of the dates, then you lose membership. Membership drives are plenty, they are very nice to you until you agree, then BOCHUP you, unless you sign on PT package.

Cali equipment need maintenance, toilets are smelly. Though plus point is that it is more cruisy.

FF at least has more integrity. Equipment also much better. Gym is maintained well. Good place to workout.

Guest Jason

I'm looking for all-round pleasant GYM and don't mind paying more as long as it is not like "Burn my bank account into ashes in a day":). It already hard enough for a guy like me,who's never been around gym before, to keep myself motivated. So it is important that the gym has to be pleasant to stick around. Anyway, judging from the input I got so far, I think FF would be a good choice. Thanks guys.

just out of curiosity, is there any reason why u join two gym ?

I was a member of Cali at first. Then FF came into the picture. Decided to join. Since my membership at Cali is only $8 per annum, why not continue. Basically, I hardly go to Cali. Most of the time at FF.

No regrets with FF. Much, much better. Brighter, cleaner, newer stuff.

I'm looking for all-round pleasant GYM and don't mind paying more as long as it is not like "Burn my bank account into ashes in a day" :) . It already hard enough for a guy like me,who's never been around gym before, to keep myself motivated. So it is important that the gym has to be pleasant to stick around. Anyway, judging from the input I got so far, I think FF would be a good choice. Thanks guys.

Definitely FF is nicer environment. In fact you can actually approach both gyms and ask them to show you around and explain whatever membership plans they have.

FF is more expensive, but better. Cali is cheaper but you get the same standard in terms of amenities.

agreed with u. my membership juz terminated by cali last month for not taking self initiative to pay annual fee of $8. i m very very angry of them. as a good service provider they shd remind members to renew the membership when times come & not to set trap for us to jump down. tis is 1 of the "good marketing strategies" they use to earn more $$. so low class......

agreed with u. my membership juz terminated by cali last month for not taking self initiative to pay annual fee of $8. i m very very angry of them. as a good service provider they shd remind members to renew the membership when times come & not to set trap for us to jump down. tis is 1 of the "good marketing strategies" they use to earn more $$. so low class......

I agree totally. Such a Large chain of Gym and behave so lowly, sneaky. Same thing happen to my friend. We even went to the outlet to query. They refused to entertain us. Just left us waiting for an hour at the reception area. They just made sure they looked busy and tried to call but as usual no one answered. They just dodged the matter. But imagine, if they were recruiting wow! the attitude will be so different.

I agree that it is a trap. How can we possibly remember when to renew. Even Dog liscence also send reminder. Its stupid. ITs probably a strategy to get rid of the too many members that they have recruited.

Dont get me wrong. I know what advertising gimmicks are and all that, but I think that they should be less obvious about their agenda/motive or whatever you may call it. Just too bloody obvious.

Just want others to know what they are in for when they join this chain of fitness centres.

I am sure others here would have had bad epxeriences with other gyms too.

SAFRA's EnergyOne is $30 per mth but how is the facilities? I quitting FF after hearing what happen to my friend.

For $30pm, SAFRA is really really the cheapest around.

Somemore, can go to any of their gym (I think there are 5) anytime.

The Gyms are well equipped with machines and free weights; and you are provided with free towel for shower, free use of the swimming pool, and some gym has jacuzzi, hot shower, steam room, suana, etc.

Where to find such offer?

But you must be a SAF reservist.

if based on hearsay, the $8 yearly renewal was a mistake made by a former manager, i meant how can $8 maintain a yearly membership?

Hence it maybe (i stressed MAYBE) their way to clear off those members on this plan.

(BTW I am still kicking myself for missing that chance few years back)

I have been Cali member for quite some years, I had tried FF, Planet Fitness (now True Fitness), do agreed with most comments here (smelly toliet etc) but I love cali for their classes, the instructors were better, more motivated and there are more frequency than other gym.

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

after the $8 yearly, they changed to $48, then $88, and even $168 (other prices in between depending on how desperate they wanted to meet the numbers then)

but the sweetest deal is the $8 ones.

So do rem to renewal your $8 yearly... even if you go up there to shower or used the steam room once a month, it be worth it.

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

just curious, is FF cruisy?

planet fitness used to be pretty okay, but now that it's true fitness, it's very bad, probably even worse than cali.

FF can be cruisy. Depends on the time that you are there. Cali is most cruisy at all times. For sure the eye-candy is great at cali. Not that FF don't have, got for sure.

SAFRA is a nice place too. Not sure if it as cruisy as it use to be at townclub (wheelock place. Good thing is that there is the jacuzzi there and many things happen there.

Thanks for putting it in perspective. I did not realise that the $8 was a mistake. But so be it. They made it so they ahve to live with it...

Please remember to renew your membership - $8 or $168 - both are way too low and I am sure that if more of us are on these plans and we RENEW... they will learn that maintaining clientele is important via maintenance of facilities and such.

Guest manliman

Can anyone tell me the average annual cost of gym membership in singapore?

If you are living in Tampines, you have 1 new gym to consider.

It's Amore Living (accepts female, male & children).

The Amore group started as a female exclusive gym except for Amore Living @Tampines 1.

Membership is $99/mth [1 yr membership] Or $88/mth [ 2yr +1 yr free].

It has 2 studio [ cardio & yoga], a swimming pool and gym. Free bath towel & exercise towel.

Male changing room has a steam room. Locker have to bring your own padlock.

Magazines, hot tea and water drinking machines are available.

Gym is not crowded as you know ladies usually use treadmills only. An adjoint section offers Spa facilities too.

i really have no idea on this. If we can pay for a lifetime.. ha ha they cannot get rid of us. Susa for them. heck la...

I have friends in US and Bangcock, they also told me they have lifetime membership in Cali ... :( ... which is very cheap ...

Sometimes, the greatest journey is the distance between two people

my membership juz terminated by cali last month for not taking self initiative to pay annual fee of $8. i m very very angry of them. as a good service provider they shd remind members to renew the membership when times come & not to set trap for us to jump down...

i asked them about my membership expire date, after that i asked them to write in a small piece of paper & paste behind my membership card, they did, so whenever i look at it, i will know, i also check with them ( few months back ) and they told me that they never inform or mail to members to renew membership card anymore.

i have not ask about renew issue yet, maybe when my membership about to end then i check with them.

be4 i signed into cali my sales ppl n her manager stress tat the diamond or infinity card member is a lifetime membership. wat we need to do is juz paying $8 or $88 yearly as admin charge. now they claim tat the 3k or 4k we paid in advanced is the 1st year membership fee & subsequent years is $8 or $88. if we never pay on time tat means we r willing to give up the membership. is it logic guys? i juz blame myself for trusting them too much to remind me to pay admin fee(which they did in the 1st & 2nd year).

life have to move on & currently scratching my head dun know which gym to join. my choice left ff and true fitness......

Looks like many of us have fallen victim to Cali's marketing tactics. I have never heard of a company that deliberately wants to "get rid" of people by not informing them that payments are due. It is ridiculous. Clearly goes to show that they cannot keep track of the people they have recruited. Recruited too many to monitor, or they save on labour cost. If you look at the people working there, trainers or front desk, there is very little PR. No doubt some trainers are gorgeous, but thats where it ends. Pity.

We just have to be extra mindful and beat them at their nonsense.

I believe you must have signed a contract with them when you join. So everything should be spelled out in the contract. You can always bring out ur contract and confirm what was agreed.

You can seek redress from Case or ur own personal lawyers if they go against ur contract.

Just go by law lor.

friends told me that in KL, cali is much more expensive than FF, unlike singapore, cali do have swimming pool in KL too, is that true?

Yes, the one in KL got outdoor area which includes swimming pool, huge jacuzzi, tanning area, open shower and a basketball court. Its like gay heaven. U can use your gym card to enter the Calis in KL and other countries as well.

I think people here are more interested in whether its cruisy or not. Yes Cali is getting cruisier than ever, once i thought i was in a gay sauna cos a few ppl just get all naked in the steam room flexing their body.

And the sales person was very good, before this, i never even thought of joining a gym. that time i was only accompany my friend to tour the gym. Then the sales person purposely bring us to tour the locker room. BOOM. 5 seconds later im a member until now.

Edited by imchaser

Volunteering for the underwear association for third world countries. Please donate your used underwear to me.

4 years.

i dun think its becoz they cant keep track on their members but purposely flash out those idiot (like me.:)). the process to remind us to "renew membership" is very simple. they juz need to inform us its time to pay when we visit any cali. there is some alert pops out on their pc screen when they scan our card, unless they downgraded the system.

yes. we can go law by law. but who will spent months to hire lawyer then go court to file case n attend trials bla bla bla, at the end still need to spend some fee to reinstate the membership n pay court charge + lawyer fee? i maybe will go thru all these if the total $$ i lost is huge. haha!

so guys plz reconsider if u r thinking to join the club. they might use some other meathods to cheat ur $$. they have strong legal team. n those who r member juz to be alert on everything k!

good luck!

gaygaysin, how long u been with cali?

Looks like many of us have fallen victim to Cali's marketing tactics. I have never heard of a company that deliberately wants to "get rid" of people by not informing them that payments are due. It is ridiculous. Clearly goes to show that they cannot keep track of the people they have recruited. Recruited too many to monitor, or they save on labour cost. If you look at the people working there, trainers or front desk, there is very little PR. No doubt some trainers are gorgeous, but thats where it ends. Pity.

We just have to be extra mindful and beat them at their nonsense.

so guys plz reconsider if u r thinking to join the club. they might use some other meathods to cheat ur $$. they have strong legal team. n those who r member juz to be alert on everything k!

Not that I want to tarnish their name, but I agree with gaygaysin totally. The talk is great but the promises are not kept. They have hidden clauses in smallest print that they do not send reminders. My friend who missed out on renewal tried to make a case, they just sent the contract with these prints highlihted with ordinary highlighter, no cover letter to explain anything. Cut and dry. No professionalism at all... may their lack of vocabulary hinders their writing capabilities (sigh)

If you are not too frequent to the club, you will miss out on notification. Be mindful of that.

went cali to workout just now, realized that can only pay yearly, $77 before GST, must remember to renew cos no inform.

i like cali, cos not only the facilities, but the machines...

i think cali got the best location compare the rest gym fitness, all very near mrt station.

Edited by snowball

anyone here ever or still holding Cali Gold Card? My boy boy told me that recently someone called him from cali about top up to become all-club access membership card, he still have about a year to go, wonder why they call him so early? wonder how much those who ever top up before paid? hope to know how much roughly consider decent price.

• 1 month later...

went cali to workout just now, realized that can only pay yearly, $77 before GST, must remember to renew cos no inform.

i like cali, cos not only the facilities, but the machines...

i think cali got the best location compare the rest gym fitness, all very near mrt station.

hmm but my membership expiring in Jul they did send me a snail mail to tell me it is expiring and when I went there they actually told me in person to renew leh.

Guest gorgeous

i asked them about my membership expire date, after that i asked them to write in a small piece of paper & paste behind my membership card, they did, so whenever i look at it, i will know, i also check with them ( few months back ) and they told me that they never inform or mail to members to renew membership card anymore.

i have not ask about renew issue yet, maybe when my membership about to end then i check with them.

Snowball is smart ;p

Actually True Fitness is not all that bad I must say. They may not have started off very good with some negative publicity, but at least they redo the carpeting (not dull like last time), brought in a lot of newer machines, staff bother to greet you and smile and are generally quite polite. There's even a coffee machine for members use. I'm paying around $50+ per month for access to all True Fitness outlets. Can access in bkk and KL too.

Cali.....I've not joined b4 but heard that it's v cruisy and crowded....which also means that you have to wait and q up for use of machines. So I guess it v much depends on what you u want....work out or cruising. Let's not forget that Cali has shut down it's operations in a few countries, altho they say they are not giving Sg up.

Sometimes the proximity of the gym's location to your home as well as work place plays a very important role. If too far from either, then u'll need very strong motivation to go and work out.

Before you decide, call up or get your friends to help you get a free trial 1/2 wks pass at all of the gyms if possible. Go for the trial, see if got eye candies .....they may be a source of motivation some way or another haha

Edited by keagan29

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm new to Singapore. I'm looking forward to join gym somewhere around my place (Jurong). As I'm not Singaporean, Safra is probably not in my list. How about SRC? Any pros and cons about it?

Hi guys, I'm new to Singapore. I'm looking forward to join gym somewhere around my place (Jurong). As I'm not Singaporean, Safra is probably not in my list. How about SRC? Any pros and cons about it?

Sorry typo, i mean SSC...

If you are PR, you can join Safra.

If not you can always visit the nearby community centre in Jurong to check if they have any gym club. Some CC in singapore have gym club.

Or else you can check out this gym club http://www.fitnessnetwork.com.sg/home/home.asp

OR check out this website to find out any nearby CC offers gym facility http://one.pa.gov.sg/CRMSPortal/CRMSPortal.portal?_nfpb=true&_windowLabel=CRMSPortal_1&_urlType=render&_mode=view&CRMSPortal_1_action=CMFPAOrgSelection&CRMSPortal_1_ProgramType=1&_pageLabel=CRMSPortal_page_1

Hi anybody thinking of joining SAFRA gym? Currently they are having this promotion that U join in two person, the entrance fee is cheaper, so anybody keen to join me in taking up this offer, after joining u can go on yr own to the club individually...pls let me knw( yagib09@ymail.com) tks

Actually True Fitness is not all that bad I must say. I'm paying around $50+ per month for access to all True Fitness outlets. Can access in bkk and KL too.

Hi Keagan,

R u sure can go to BKK and KL one?

I also all clubs but paid more than your (mine 68+) but signed 2 years ago and will end this Feb.

Urs 50+ is that the new promotion one? (Recently they start to be aggressive like Cali - called u to renew though my membership end Feb)

How to differentiate whether you can access overseas club membership and the one that can not?

All club card light orange one?

Interested to know more, as if urs just signed recently 50+ can go overseas one, I may be will signed with them this month for renewal

Mind sharing more? As will travelling to KL soon

cheers

Steven

without a doubt i think fitness first has one of the better facilities and equipment in town. but those are just hardware, the software, which i feel is even more important, is seriously lacking, i have been a member since 2005, they have never once made me felt wanted nor appreciated.

I used to pay S$138+GST when I first joined. Their membership consultant pestered me for referrals, which i gave reluctantly, and on condition that my name is not to be mentioned. But it was not the case and i got an earful from 10 angry friends.

Then I converted my membership to a corporate one as my company was approached by them and they extended a slightly reduced corporate rate of S$123+GST which i am currently enjoying. I had to approach them an identify myself as an employee of the company to enjoy this rate. Never mind, i saved $15 a month.

Recently, a few of my colleagues signed up and they enjoyed the same rate, but were given some freebies, ie, 3 free sessions of PTs, etc etc.. then a colleague's husband was solicited to join, but he wasnt keen as he is a safra member, immediately, he was offered a very special rate of $108 per month.. without even trying at all to negotiate.

Now, that sets me thinking, what is FITNESS FIRST doing for their loyal members who have been with them for a number of years? i have heard some companies were extended a very special rate of as low as $70 a month. I am paying double of that and there was not even once i felt appreciated. No birthday month specials, no nothing! I am not an unhappy customer, but I feel I have been taken for granted. 4 years is not a long time, but i think i have spent at least $5000 on membership fees alone, as well as 2 sessions of PT training. isnt that something that is to be looked at?

So today, i went to one of the gyms, and terminated my membership. Without questions asked, the counter staff filled a termination request form, then asked me to sign, and i was sent to the door. But not before informing me that termination requires at least 30 days notice and i have to pay for the following month's subscription and the member will officially end on 30 November... aaah... it is at least 30 days, on calender month... when i questioned why is it not based on 30 days from the date of request, the answer was: When you sign the agreement, it is stated as one of the terms and conditions........" I rest my case, refusing to hear anymore, and walked out.

And this is a city which will open 2 integrated resorts next year? with service standards like this, i cannot imagine how will the city fare against other neighbouring destinations....

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.