Male HQ

Some Legal Advice On Gay Couple

Guest Guest123

Guest Guest123

Hi I seek some serious advice about bringing my prospectus 'husband' to Singapore.

If I ( being a Singaporean, served my country with NS, good citizen with clean records and doing my part contributing to our economy, pay my taxes diligently , have voting rights and taking care of my eldely parents etc ) married my boy friend who is a foreigner at New York or other Countries where gay couples can be legally married, will ICA grant me a depandant pass to allow my ' husband ' to reside with me in Singapore ?

Talking about equal rights regardless of gender , sexual orientation by our Government, do I have such right like the other straight Singaporeans or PRs or even foreigners who are holding an EP?

Reality hurts..

Your bf can only stay in Singapore if he is gainfully employable..

which means he has a skill that is worthwhile .. think foreign talent.

Of course, he should have at the very least a college/MBA education to boost his chances of staying

here with you.

Otherwise, I really dont think a gay marriage certificate means anything to ICA/MOM!

Gay marriage certificate is not recognized in Singapore. No spousal rights will be accorded to your husband.

Edited by evianguy

Hi I seek some serious advice about bringing my prospectus 'husband' to Singapore.

If I ( being a Singaporean, served my country with NS, good citizen with clean records and doing my part contributing to our economy, pay my taxes diligently , have voting rights and taking care of my eldely parents etc ) married my boy friend who is a foreigner at New York or other Countries where gay couples can be legally married, will ICA grant me a depandant pass to allow my ' husband ' to reside with me in Singapore ?

Talking about equal rights regardless of gender , sexual orientation by our Government, do I have such right like the other straight Singaporeans or PRs or even foreigners who are holding an EP?

Sorry, legal right is never granted to same-sex couple in Singapore regardless as to whether you have been legally married elsewhere. Your "husband" will only be granted residency in Singapore unless he has some skills or can find employment here. Otherwise, he may visit Singapore on a social visit pass. Gay people in Singapore will never be granted equal rights like straight people even though you have contributed to Singapore and have a clean record :(

I have to agree with everyone's feedback here. Also if you look at our national pledge. It says "Regardless of race, language or religion..." sexual orientation is not covered unfortunately.

Just move over to where he is versus bringing him to Singapore. It may be easier.

Love. 

Guest Guest123

I have to agree with everyone's feedback here. Also if you look at our national pledge. It says "Regardless of race, language or religion..." sexual orientation is not covered unfortunately.

Just move over to where he is versus bringing him to Singapore. It may be easier.

what u said make sense ... being a Singaporean, I know that there is no point fighting for one's right etc , it's just a waste of time and energy ; the end result is still a ' no ' from the authority, that's how things are here. I remember an elected minister had said that he wanted to help 'every' singaporean to realise his dreams of building an ideal home etc etc , but of-course , he can never take care of the minority needs for 'people like us'.

fat chance! you are asking too much!

I don't think it is asking for too much. It is just that mentally, Singapore society is not quite ready for LGBT rights in this generation. Maybe the next generation things may progress further. We've seen often the argument is that there are many conservative people in Singapore.

It is easier to change yourself than to change others. Hence I suggested moving out of Singapore versus staying local. There are pros and cons. You just got to decide what is important to you.

Love. 

• Guest locked this topic