Male HQ

Need Help On My Home Pc - Blank Screen

oralb

since i spend so much time here and there are really experts reading the forum, hence seek help here.

I have a home PC running 128 MB ram and Win2000, quite ok until recently when i tried to copy some DVD, the screen hanged, when i reboot, the following scenario happened.

the window loading screen went slower than usual, but managed to load till login screen, after log in, it showed the Loading Personal settings and thereafter the screen just show the default blue screen.

the mouse cursor is still movable and when i click Control Alt Delete, i can still access the set-up screen. going into Window Task Manager, i realised that the CPU and Mem usage were very low as not application was running.

in the processes, only the following were running

System Idle Process

System

SMSS.exe

Winlogon.exe

CSRSS.exe

services.exe

LSASS.exe

taskmgr.exe

svchost.exe

winMgmt.exe

i cant access any programs, no icons and clicking start button showed no results.

I tried loading via safe mode but the same scenario showed up as well.

any suggestions.

i was thinking maybe my HDD space no enough (due to DVD copying) but how can i check?

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

Guest IkuTube

Hi OralB,

Hmm, this is the third one I heard of such a similar problem in one week - a blank screen.

It is good, as suggested by digital03 that you run antivirus, and if possible antispyware program, at the same time.

Let's retrace the steps:

until recently when i tried to copy some DVD

For 128mb on win2k and if you are only copying and not running other intensive programs, it should be able to "tahan" the process.

Is there an error message when you got into the "default blue screen"?

the window loading screen went slower than usual

How long have you have this system? Have you tried opening the casing? Sometimes, the accumulation of dust on your graphic card, cpu & heatsink and ram could cause over heating, hence slower performance.

At the same time, try reslot your gfx and rams.

i cant access any programs, no icons and clicking start button showed no results.

It sounds that your ram was affected during copying. Try to take it out and resit it. [i guess there is no unusual beeping sound when you reboot your system.]

Those processes highlighted are usual Image when windows are running.

maybe my HDD space no enough (due to DVD copying) but how can i check?

Yes, this is possible.

To check for used/free space, open My Computer. Here, usually you will see the total size and free space. To see for Used Space, right click on the property of the drive.

I am not sure about win2k, but I thought Windows would usually pop a warning offering to run disk cleanup utility when the annoying "Low Disk Space" warning?

Regards.

it maybe hard disk problem... some bad sectors in the disk causing the slow-down or even hang while seeking certain files......... i have this problem with slow booting of my PC months ago too.... trying so many ways (including re-install OS) but problem still comes back when disk almost full.... send back for repair and told that disk having problem..... now ok

if you have another disk, try to boot from there to see if the problem still exist <_<

when i try to copy cd, vcd or load a progm from a cdrom on a few occasions, my antivirus warn me presence of virus or trojan horse.

latest incident was when trying to rip a new cd bought in china.

tried on safe mode but same effect, black blank screen with safe mode wording on 4 corners, mouse can work, no icon, no start bar nothing.

Can use control alt delete to access the task manager but same results.

so cannot run any programs include anti virus.

will try to re-slot the ram and other devices to test.

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

:D

1. 128Ram is too little.....to run a DVD file / DIVX or Mpeg4

2. Is your DVD source of copying is via DVD or from internet.

3. common problem for OS 2000...it will hang.

4.have you install alot of application, usually antisoftware will eat up your speed, especially on start up, all your application on your taskbar start to load, it will slow your speed.

5. Your hard disk might have crash.

Try these,

If you have a recovering CD, use it, go to bios n boot ur system via CDrom.

If you manage to go into the windows, go to my computer, right click and click on manage.

check on your status of your disk management and drivers.

Worse cast, reinstall windows.

128Ram is not sufficient enough to run DVD files, especially if you have a shared graphic card. When you use more application at one time, it will slow everything, upgrade to a higher ram, at least 256MB for normal usuage.

Hope it helps. :D

Guest IkuTube

oh oh :whistle: Win2K VM saying bye bye liow! :D

Can you still go into My Computer and browse/execute any programs from their *.exe here?

Err, think no harm trying this now:

go to Windows Task Manager [Ctrl+Alt+Del], Applications, New Task, and type "explorer" [without the quotes], Ok -- this should, in most cases, restore the taskbar. Hehehe, at least it gives you a starting point again.

alternatively, you can Download Taskbar Repair Tool.

:)

• Guest locked this topic