Male HQ

Is It True?

Guest guest

i was insulted by a aunty saying that if i am smart i won t be taking a bus . i should be driving a car. she means those taking bus are more stupid .those can afford a car are always smarter and richer?

Why dun you ask those who are driving? If you are owning a car you can afford, then that is all right. If you are not owning a car cos you dun want it or cannot afford it, that is realistic. If you are driving a car that you cannot afford, then you are living beyond your means. I dun drive, i take bus or mrt cos i dun think i hv the mean but i dun think i m dumb. Owning a car to show off or to fulfil others need is dumb. Your car spent more time with the car park than with you. There is no need to chase a dream that is someone else.

Edited by briax

I want to slap the aunty!

I dont want to own a car in Singapore because there is really very little need for it. I stay within 4 minutes (walk) away from the Potong Pasir MRT station. I work the regular office hours. I spent about $100 monthly on transport, including the occasional taxi ride.

But in the event that I own a car...

I have to pay road tax and insurance

I have to top up my NETS card regularly with those annoying ERP gates

I have to pay parking fee at my office and home (HDB estate)

I have to give lifts to my (also) annoying colleagues

I have to ....

the list goes on... and I have to think of its depreciation ..sigh

Should I get a car...

I want to cruise at Fort Road Carpark (and worry about the police)

I want to drive my mother around (although she gets tired when the ride to the polyclinic lasted more than 15 mins)

I want to show off ... (to who?)

So far, not owning a car means I have more disposable income

I can give the lame excuse that the trains were too packed

I dont have to search for a parking lot in CBD

Hence, at the end of the day, not owning a car is not a lost..

i was insulted by a aunty saying that if i am smart i won t be taking a bus . i should be driving a car. she means those taking bus are more stupid .those can afford a car are always smarter and richer?

My partner has a phD in biochemistry. He takes public transportation and has no driving license. I have several friends in New York and Toronto. They dont have cars either. Some are lawyers and doctors and a few are from Ivy league universities. They are definitely not stupid.

The aunty is making dumb talk. The best thing to do with dumb talk is to just ignore. Trying to argue to a stupid ignorant person is like trying to empty the sea with a teaspoon. You wont get anywhere. So why bother.

Oh, c'mon! I'm sure you know (and intelligent enough to know) that she is 100% a nut crack (or living in stone age). Please....

Guest guest...

just be yourself... is your aunty will pay the car and the car's maintenance ? if she is, go ahead... tell your aunty, i am what i am... hehe

tbh, it's not worth it to own a car in Singapore. The COE is fxxking hefty and ur gonna die while paying off the COE debt. But I still want a car, hahaha

"The two of us are living in the same era, believing in the same future

Yesterday’s tears and today’s smiles will stay true

We’ve experienced the same pain, we’ve gathered the same kindness

And we’ll turn them into the strength to live on tomorrow"

progress - ayumi hamasaki

So yea... The aunty... Does she drive?

How can wealth be equated to intelligence?!

What an irresponsible comment!

I rather sit a bus, then be in debt for the next 10years trying to pay off my car loan.

Not that I can even afford one in the first place...

Rawr.

I earned a 5-figure income per month but I dun own a private car. So am I dumb? I guess so as I should get a car since I can well afford it? Why bother to take MRT to work since it's a tiring 3-min walk from my home and a straining 2-min walk to my office? Yes, I am so dumb and poor!

Lets get the facts right.

In Singappore, no matter how much you love your car, and how much you pay for it, it will never be yours.

Because in all truth, you actually renting the car from the government for 10 years.

If you want to extend the rental, then you just have to pay a "penalty" for it.

If I were you, next time very calmly tell this aunty with a cold smile on your face....." If you are any smarter than me, you won't look so old for your age..."

TOUCH

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Edited by TheVisitors

actually there is a similar case from asia.com news that a school boy call the aunty driver a beggar.

Guest stay happy

actually there is a similar case from asia.com news that a school boy call the aunty driver a beggar.

live within yr means and dun compare. if u cant afford to take cab than take a bus,if cant afford bus than walk no one owns u a living.work hard and save if u want a better life , dun expect people to help u than u will be happy and proud of yrself. pity those who always complain , they are just making themselves unhappy . count our blessing.

So judging from the massive number of people taking the public transport everyday, we can thus conclude that many people in Singapore are not smart? Duh!

I don't know what is the context of her saying that to you, but you can just reply her that she's no where better! (If that insult took place on a bus)

Not true, I know of relatively wealthy people who are intellectuals (living in semi-d, terraces) who prefer public transport because they don't enjoy driving. That aunty's comments are signs of ignorance and arrogance toppled with a delusion that private transportation = smart.

5 years anniversary soon :)

Loving can hurt, loving can hurt sometimes

Guest the real truth

The Truth

What's more baffling and hilarious than dear aunty's question are the answers to be found in the replies.

To the OP ( original poster ) surely you don't need any forum to get an answer , surely you can figure it out !

Tsk tsk tsk

I think she is a very shallow person. A person insulting other people by the assets he has or the brand of assets he has is simply a very shallow person.

Even if u drive a car but the car u drive is not those expensive car or conti brand car, i think she might also insult and laugh at u. I have one friend driving a korean car, and always got "insult" by his colleague who is driving a honda car.

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Spend time counting your blessings,

not airing your complaints.

Guest passerby

Seriously, a car in Singapore is a huge depreciating asset, especially for single income owners and driving on overcrowded roads, parking, maintenance and all is simply not worth it. I'd rather spend the money on something else with one less debt to stress over.

My partner has a phD in biochemistry. He takes public transportation and has no driving license. I have several friends in New York and Toronto. They dont have cars either. Some are lawyers and doctors and a few are from Ivy league universities. They are definitely not stupid.

The aunty is making dumb talk. The best thing to do with dumb talk is to just ignore. Trying to argue to a stupid ignorant person is like trying to empty the sea with a teaspoon. You wont get anywhere. So why bother.

But seriously, how many doctors and lawyers take the bus or MRT to work? So unglam.

Seriously, a car in Singapore is a huge depreciating asset, especially for single income owners and driving on overcrowded roads, parking, maintenance and all is simply not worth it. I'd rather spend the money on something else with one less debt to stress over.

Having a car the most killing part is the maintenance of a car. Buying the car and even paying the mthly installment is not difficult. But paying the maintenance fees of the car, when the car got wear & tear, the amt u spend on replacing various parts really drain a lot of ur money.

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Spend time counting your blessings,

not airing your complaints.

To TS,

It's definitely not true. You can't be that ignorant as well as the aunty right?

How can people ever associate intelligence to public transport? :blink: What sort of link is there?

As many has mentioned: Public transport VS driving. It's about needs, necessity and preference.

Guest passingthru

"Aunties" live in a narrow world. Worse still in tiny Singapore. They have little understanding of the real world although they'd like to think they've been "around the block a few times". They're lucky they live in a generally law abiding and calm society. In a rougher town, she'd have something shoved into her mouth and her head cracked open a long time ago.

Btw, IKEA's boss takes the bus.

Guest Economic Cents

She is ignorant and uneducated. In your lifetime you will pay the equivalent of an HDB if you choose to spend it on a car. We're talking about retirement income or medical expenses for the future you would be frittering away.

Instead of spending money on a depreciating asset (a car) and having to live far away from work to afford it, in my opinion, you are better off to invest in an appreciating asset (a house)and enjoy being closer to work. The other alternative is to invest in your child's education. These two things will reap greater rewards than materialist ownership of an expensive ego stroking toy.

I bet she'll be the first to call you for a free ride if you allow yourself to be manipulated by her.

If you are that upset by what she said then you should avoid her at all costs. Moreover, if you don't buy the car then you can afford to go on a trip when the next family function involving her comes around. You can be sitting on a beach laughing your head off at that silly cow.

GOD help you if she's able to get inside your head about a silly thing like a car. If you are gay, will you cave in and marry some girl just because she doesn't approve of homosexuality.

You seriously have got to get at thicker skin and start to only worry about what makes you happy.

May inner peace be yours and may you find true happiness

Hugs

Simply ignore her. She just belong to the tribe of narrow minded Singaporean. An obscure tribe i must say. Certain I do understand that you don't feel too good about what she said. I own a car myself but its just only a tool of transportation. If anyone wants to peg car status = success/intelligence, then I'd say they have none themselves.

More importantly, what principles do you live by? Happiness and success is what we make of it ourselves and not what others view you as.

Originally I didn't know if you were smart or dumb, But by reading your post, it confirmed the aunty's "assessment" - you are not smart loh. You lack independent thinking - Aunty said take public transport not smart, you can't even reason it out & must post here for comments.....

i just wondering, if the aunty correct with her words? maybe?

my maybe is not according to what she say, is what the attitude you have.

before i start, hope you not offended as i am quite direct.

firstly, you should not take her words seriously at all,

not everyone like to drive, i do not. with car(s) does not

mean anything at all.

however we need to admit that most people now,

not only happen in singapore, but all over the world, are

narrow minded, else people won't go for branded goods & titles etc,

thinking that branded stuffs = taste.

have a correct positive attitude, then no one able to " harm / insult "

you, you just feel sorry for their " innocent & naive. "

Not to add to any insults..you should not even post this in the first place. What is your objective in doing so. Dont get me wrong. Basically, it is normal perception on most ppl's mind when they see things visually only.

Can't deny the fact that most time when others see ppl owning car or driving expensive cars, living in private home are more well off, so to say. No hard feelings.. just her views against yours.

one would think that the aunty is implying that the Minister is also dumb in riding the public transport too.... :rolleyes:

"You like who you like lah. Who cares if someone likes the other someone because of their race? It's when they hate them. That's the problem."

Orked (acted by Sharifah Amani) in SEPET (2004, directed by Yasmin Ahmad)

I had a friend whose family insisted on getting a BMW. The family wasn't even surviving comfortably. He ended up with $3 pocket money a day for school or sometimes even NONE. He had to borrow money from friends all the time or having us to treat him. <_<

Edited by Wilbur
tumblr_m3l60d7jv21qbyxr0o1_500.gif

Guest the reason behind

Not to add to any insults..you should not even post this in the first place. What is your objective in doing so. Dont get me wrong. Basically, it is normal perception on most ppl's mind when they see things visually only.

Can't deny the fact that most time when others see ppl owning car or driving expensive cars, living in private home are more well off, so to say. No hard feelings.. just her views against yours.

I so agree with you. It should not been posted to begin with. Anyway, he didn't explain why the aunty insulted him. Did he do something or say something that infuriated her ??? I am sure she will not be doing that for no apparent reason. :whistle:

Guest Ironrod

I so agree with the GUEST. The whole thing was taken out of context - TS could have tell the aunt how successful he was, but aunt was pissed and tell him back.

Car is part of the traditional 5 Cs we all grow up with related to success.

Therefore the aunt is not totally wrong - car is not a need, it's always a want.

I so agree with you. It should not been posted to begin with. Anyway, he didn't explain why the aunty insulted him. Did he do something or say something that infuriated her ??? I am sure she will not be doing that for no apparent reason. :whistle:

am sure yr parents have the same thought.holding a master degree. driving a car. holding a high post job.thats is the kind of son in law they want.Only when a person got extra money than he will own a car.

• Guest locked this topic