Male HQ

Bad Bosses, Stress, Bad Skin Bad Sleep

drifter

Hi all, just to share my stuff and need some advice.

Recently, I joined a company as a product manager. Initially I was very excited as it's pretty rare to get a product manager role in my industry and my increment was quite subtantial.

However, it seen like it's the start of a very stressful thing for me. Firstly, my boss is very slack person:

1. I often seen him surf the internet on stuffs unrelated to work

2. He DOESNT knows his work! Many times gave me the wrong info and resulted me being sneered at by other departments. Whenever I have doubts I will never get solution out from him.

3. He always insisted he is right.

4. He don't guide the team (my mentor is 3mths into the job too and she is currently on hospitalization leave, no one else is there to guide me)

5. The previous product managers left less than a year; according to the sales managers, I'm the 5th product manager takkg over the role since the team was established 3 yrs ago.

Secondly, I was told that I'm hired to be a product manager, however due to headcount freeze and sales staff going on maternity, I was told to cover for sales and alliance work (no commission and no allowance) I do know that in my letter of appt I am requires by the company to stretch.

Thirdly, my boss always leave on the dot!

I know I shouldn't complain as I know there are people out there unemployed.

I felt tremendously stress and breakouts and breakouts! Not able to sleep well too. I just do not know how should I go about. I need a good mentor to guide me in my work.

Guest passerby

You're paid a substantial increase, perhaps you should justify and prove why you are worth that much.

1. Common for a lot of superiors who only surf net.

2. Common for a lot of superiors to not know the work and give wrong info.

3. Common for a lot of superiors to insist they are right even if they are not. If you want to climb ahead, maybe you have to sing along to his tune.

4. Perhaps you're expected to pick it up or drown? Maybe they are testing you?

5. If cannot take it, then perhaps you should join the other product managers?

6. Common for a lot of superiors to leave on, or even before the dot, and dump all the work on you.

7. Common to stretch to cover other duties as well.

You're stressing yourself additionally by thinking these negative thoughts victimising yourself, why not focus on how you can get the job done? What are your expectations of work? To just do specifically within your job scope, remain stagnant, and not taking the chance to learn other related trades which may have an impact on yours? Whining will get you nowhere, and unlikely your company will change and you might keep complaining in your next company and your next company and your next company.

Why not prove you can do the job and well, fight for a pay increase then leave for the next one?

What did you expect? Get higher pay and do less?

The only thing I managed to learn from my bad boss is that he doesn't expect you to be a high flyer since he is such a baddy, he just want you to do your job and by doing so, he can keep his.

Just do things realistically, no point striving to the best at work ...

Guest grasshopper
Y You're stressing yourself additionally by thinking these negative thoughts victimising yourself, why not focus on how you can get the job done? What are your expectations of work? To just do specifically within your job scope, remain stagnant, and not taking the chance to learn other related trades which may have an impact on yours? Whining will get you nowhere,

You are giving him all the wrong information. As positive as you tried to be, you forgot nobody, in any organisation, works alone.

In most MNC there are hieararchy (line or functional) creating work called matrix. Each Matrix has it own sub-matrix and eventually a cob-web was deliberately formed - or company work network. You may be somewhere along, below or on top of those network and if one falter, the whole team falls. As for his case, the upper thread already loosen up, the side thread went missing and he is dangling in the air. Unless he is indepdendent, I don't see where he will get that morale to hang on.

My suggestion is, hang on to the job and continue to take instruction (whether right or wrong) from your boss who will bear your ultimate responsibity. By time he knows he is giving all the instruction, you would have secured a new job elsewhere and bid farewell to him.

Hi all, just to share my stuff and need some advice.

Recently, I joined a company as a product manager. Initially I was very excited as it's pretty rare to get a product manager role in my industry and my increment was quite subtantial.

However, it seen like it's the start of a very stressful thing for me. Firstly, my boss is very slack person:

1. I often seen him surf the internet on stuffs unrelated to work.

2. He DOESNT knows his work! Many times gave me the wrong info and resulted me being sneered at by other departments. Whenever I have doubts I will never get solution out from him. Try solve the doubts on your own instead finding solution from him. Since you know whatever solution came fr your boss always ended up giving you the wrong info, then think/decide whether does his solution really help you solve the problems? I rather you gather some info from other department or internet search before making the decision for the next move. .

3. He always insisted he is right. Be more aggressive and stand on your right if you thing you are correct and proof to him.

4. He don't guide the team (my mentor is 3mths into the job too and she is currently on hospitalization leave, no one else is there to guide me)

5. The previous product managers left less than a year; according to the sales managers, I'm the 5th product manager takkg over the role since the team was established 3 yrs ago. Since it just established 3 yrs ago, I believe the way of management is not stable yet. Try to re-manage the department the way it suppose to be based on your past working experience. Or read up some management books. I believe it should help on the difficulties you face.

Secondly, I was told that I'm hired to be a product manager, however due to headcount freeze and sales staff going on maternity, I was told to cover for sales and alliance work (no commission and no allowance) I do know that in my letter of appt I am requires by the company to stretch. Maybe you can get someone the most senior/capable one fr the sales and alliance work as your assistant in this area. Rather than doing everything on your own.

Thirdly, my boss always leave on the dot!

I know I shouldn't complain as I know there are people out there unemployed.

I felt tremendously stress and breakouts and breakouts! Not able to sleep well too. I just do not know how should I go about. I need a good mentor to guide me in my work.

(refer red on my comments. )

Guest passerby

You are giving him all the wrong information. As positive as you tried to be, you forgot nobody, in any organisation, works alone.

In most MNC there are hieararchy (line or functional) creating work called matrix. Each Matrix has it own sub-matrix and eventually a cob-web was deliberately formed - or company work network. You may be somewhere along, below or on top of those network and if one falter, the whole team falls. As for his case, the upper thread already loosen up, the side thread went missing and he is dangling in the air. Unless he is indepdendent, I don't see where he will get that morale to hang on.

Every organisation has its issues, and it is easy to keep busy blaming the ants stuck in the cob-web, organisational failure, presidential elections, and jesus and his second coming. He is given an opportunity being promoted to that new and rare managerial position with the substantial increment to work dangling in the air, suck it up and deal with it! Scale the hill to the mountains beyond.

I started a new job this week and it has been "nice" so far.

The previous General Manager was sacked after 6 years on the job. Yes, it was awful and instead of filling me in directly into the role, I asked for a subsidary role of Quality Assurance Manager. It enables me to learn about the operations within the company and I am not seen as an immediate Superior straight away.

For the induction week, the individual sections within the company took their time to explain their functions and daily operations. It was good that I came across as a caring person, willing to discuss and listen to their problems. I understood their dealings and most importantly, the office politics. I am beginning to feel that one of the girls, Hanz is beginning to dislike me for my inquistive mind...

Drifter, it is not uncommon to commit a number of mistakes when you are new to the job. Just take it as a learning curve. You got to accept the initial jitters and learn not to commit them again.

As for manpower shortage, it is a common fact everywhere. Learn to be more efficient and write down your task for the day on your way to work, from the more urgent to the mandane. This work is not going to be easier.

Anxiety is expected. Frustration is expected.

Give yourself sometime to adjust and get into the swing of things.

Life can only get better when you have a firmer grip... :clap:

Guest Ironrod

TS: Your primary objective would be kick your current boss out and take over his role.

But DO NOT

1) Do any direct attack

2) Do not let him steal any credits

3) Do not let him have an extra information [need to know basis]

Once u have the reason why u doing his job, u will be fine.

• Guest locked this topic