Male HQ

Shocking Video - Child Ran Over By Car, 18 Passersby Ignore Her.

MobyDick

Hi all... this might put things in context:

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/china-news/to-help-or-not-to-help-a-dilemma-in-china-61733.html

Read the Fear of Helping section. It's an interesting world we live in.

The same is happening to a smaller extent in the USA and Australia where off duty doctors would not necessarily go to the help of people for fear of getting sued.

Blame the lawyers I say (KIDDING)! :huh:

Guys deal with it. There are a lot more worst things happening every corner of the world. Just bcos it wont happen in your country doesnt mean u got the rights to condemned. The world is so big. Not everything that happens in the world revolves around the small country of Singapore and your rules. Meanwhile, start to appreciate that u r living in a harmony country and stop complaining.

Are you what they say - a buck-toothed KL boy?

the social cause actually went further than that.

It was reported that many cases, the bystanders ended up being sued by the victim. In a controversial landmark case, a lady was asked to pay for damages when she helped a 81yo old lady who fell down. The old lady subsequently sued the lady for causing her to fall and the judge ruled in favor of the old lady, citing if the lady had no fault, she would not have help the old lady.

this was just one of many cases been reported.

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

the social cause actually went further than that.

It was reported that many cases, the bystanders ended up being sued by the victim. In a controversial landmark case, a lady was asked to pay for damages when she helped a 81yo old lady who fell down. The old lady subsequently sued the lady for causing her to fall and the judge ruled in favor of the old lady, citing if the lady had no fault, she would not have help the old lady.

this was just one of many cases been reported.

That's right oralb... as indicated in the report I linked to above. A number of Chinese citizens I know feel that the law has gone nuts there too...

As mentioned by Imchaser, violence and apathy of this kind exist in all parts of the world.

This incident involving Yue Yue (the little girl, who passed away last week) and the 18 passers by is merely being blown out of proportion, simply because the media picked it up by chance. It is completely unfair to say 'this happened because China is like this'.

Instead what we should do is condemn the ACT of walking past the injured girl without stopping to help; praise the rag-and-bone lady who helped Yue Yue.

While Chinese people may have a different way of life and different thinking, it does not give us Singaporeans the right to criticise them.

On a side note, we may say that we will definitely help if we are placed in the shoes of the passers-by. But the truth is that, we will only know when we are in that exact situation. So in our minds, we can picture ourselves as charitable, helpful people. But we may act otherwise in real life. This applies to everyone - Singaporean, Chinese or others.

Guest Marad44
... While Chinese people may have a different way of life and different thinking, it does not give us Singaporeans the right to criticise them...
I am afraid I have to disagree. If it is not for the outcry from the world at large, the plight of many a pitiful individual would have been a tear drop in the wilderness. In this case, the poor child has met her sorrowful doom but in her death, she has aroused world-awareness. Singaporeans rising up with the rest of the human race to condemn & protest is the least they could do, yet commendable.

I am afraid I have to disagree. If it is not for the outcry from the world at large, the plight of many a pitiful individual would have been a tear drop in the wilderness. In this case, the poor child has met her sorrowful doom but in her death, she has aroused world-awareness. Singaporeans rising up with the rest of the human race to condemn & protest is the least they could do, yet commendable.

I understand. What I meant by 'criticising them' is saying "All Chinese people are like that." OR "Chinese people have no morals." or something along those lines.

In this case, as I mentioned, it is indeed commendable to protest the act of ignoring YueYue. It is not commendable, however, when we attack Chinese people as a whole, and generalise their behaviour.

I work in China and has been in and out of China for some years. It is sad. China cities lacks the Soul in its head-long rush to material enrichment. And basic road safety can lack far behind other more advanced Asian and Western countries.

Helping someone may invite more trouble. So why help. That is the prevailing thinking now given a famous case of injustice a few years ago. The pedestrian traffic lights mean nothing. There is a skill in crossing busy roads even when the pedestrian light is green. Observe what the locals do and follow them or use them as your shield.

We can sigh, we can anguish for this young victim. But will China change tomorrow? No, it has all its challenges and despite the growing wealth, the sense of emptiness only grows larger. What it means for China in the future I do not know.

Guest Kendall

On similar societal selfishness but of a different degree, how different are Sporeans, esp those we see daily, who refuse to give up seats for the elderly in the MRT trains?

The CHinese may have much improvements in the social aspects, but I find it hypocritical when Sporeans come out to condemn what essentially is still very weak in our own society. That sounds so self-righteous.

• Guest locked this topic