Male HQ

Are There Any Genuine Home-based Jobs Out There?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Hi all,

I currently taking my time off work for about over a year now which slowly drain my savings. I was doing an office job, but I'm so sick of the repetitive daily grind.

I wish I could work from home and go at my own pace.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not lazy. I would work my lil behind off.

It's just that I prefer to be at home, with the freedom to have breaks whenever I wanted. Not to mention not having to get up, get dressed and go to work. I could even be a slob and work in my PJS!

Now, I was wondering are there any genuine jobs out there that could allow me to work from home? For example, are there any companies that allow you do to data entry at home? Or any other tasks?

I have thought about having an Ebay business, but I am clueless as to what I could sell.... Has anyone had success in having an Ebay store? Please share your experiences.

Thanks so much in advance.

i would think that before you ask for suggestion, it would be easier to let us know what's your strength and qualifications.

we can talk about how good web page designers are earning but you may not have the skill

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

Guest Guest

OB,

Thanks for your response.

To be honest, I do not have a university degree. I got office jobs after finished my high school mainly doing admin so never thought of going to uni. So my only strength is years of office experience thats about it.

I know some people make a lot of money from home-based business like selling something on eBay or online business. I am wondering what to sell?

Guest happy man

i agreed with oralb, maybe u can tell us your strength and qualifications. there are many home based job available.

if you are accounting trained, you may wish to advertise in paper for accounting job.

all the best to you

pardon my bluntness that if you only have experience in admin work, the only place that will utilize that experience is, well, an office.

you can do data entry or telemarketing but i doubt the pay is good.

for online selling, most of the success cases i knew has a passion in what they are selling, eg toys, IT products, fashion etc. now what's your's?

even if we tell you it is profitable to sell X item, without passion nor knowledge for that X item, would you think you will go far?

Hi guest,

I currently taking my time off work for about over a year now which slowly drain my savings.

May I ask, how old are you? If you are intending to go back to work, taking a long break and not doing anything, will not look good in your resume. Asmuchas there are luxuries of being your own boss, with no 'government' dictating your life, not to have enough savings for old age will be a problem.

Now, I was wondering are there any genuine jobs out there that could allow me to work from home? For example, are there any companies that allow you do to data entry at home? Or any other tasks?

Our wiseman, oralb has indicated an exhaustive list of work-from-home jobs. For telemarketing, you may want to work with successful insurance managers to canvass for their sales. Or you might want to register yourself with some ministries to conduct telephone surveys. Or you might want to be part of multilevel marketing representative.

However, these jobs require you to travel sometimes.

Or, if you have extra cash and risk taker, dabble a little with stock market - NOT highly recommended though unless 1. you have the money 2. you have the knowledge 3. you can take losses.

I have thought about having an Ebay business, but I am clueless as to what I could sell.

Stay away! - since you are 'clueless as to what you could sell'. A business comes with passion and committment. I respect individuals who take risk but to get into something which they are 'clueless' is already half battle lost.

Whichever way you decide, do have a game plan. All the best! :)

Click Here To Visit My Blog @ "The Blessed Life"

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

- May there be Love and Peace beyond all understanding -

Couple of years back; after being frustrated from the corporate world, I told myself not to work for any company and decided to just take time off and semi-retire.

Here is what I did to get income, during my 2 - 3 years of semi-retirement.

1. Rent out my spare rooms and become a landlord.

2. Take up part time job at trade shows.

3. Did computer servicing at home.

4. Did web design

5. Did video editing & tape to DVD/VCD conversion

6. Took up part time night shift.

Oh, by the way, I am not a U grad. All the computer & video stuff mentioned above was self taught. You just need to be "hungry" to learn and have an interest.

Life is not always smooth sailing, but if you put an effort into things and be more pro-active, lots of things can be accomplished.

Most important is cut back on expenditures and keep spending to only the necessary and you will be fine.

Don't expect charity as they only last while it last.

In the mean time, keep fit through exercises, and go for courses conducted by WDA (subsided for those above 40yo) to improve and upgrade yourself. When it is time to go back to the workforce, you are ready for the challenge.

Hope the above pointers will give some good reference from someone who have "been there, done that".

Cheers. :D

Guest fm am

Before you seriously consider going free-lance, do bear in mind these few pointers. Be prepare to pay yourself for the first six months. That would be the time-frame where you would be finding some work, buying stuff to get your 'office' going, getting your feet off the ground while not drawing any salary. Be prepare for long and delayed payment. Some clients are lousy payer and will pay you three to six months later. And you have to have that iron discipline. When you work from home, there're a tendency to slack because there're no boss or supervisor. And most of all, networking is very important. Your friends and ex-colleauge would be the ones who would help to recommend some business to you. Good luck.

Most of us feel the groundhog day everyday.. Same shit different day. Day in day out, same thing. We all feel tired of work. I had this feeling since in my 30s. Now im my mid 40s, I guess i am wiser and more realistic, We all have to eat...bread n butter.. We have to survive.. like it or not. Its a cruel world out there, but that's life. Unless u set your goal what u want, if not. U have to work.

Some will b just contented with what they have, They work enough, resign n go for a break.. then start work agian when the saving dries up...then resign again..etc etc.. care free no worry.

Some cannot do that, they have to work to survive.. Depends what u want.

Don't worry, Be happy

Guest Guest Mature

Let us not kid ourselves. Given a choice, who would really like to work? I suspect only those who are super rich would love to work to kill time in addition to being paid handsome salaries.

The Government is encouraging older workers to continue working. I find it really pitiful to see elderly citizens slogging away cleaning and clearing tables. Look closer at them, and you will see sad, frustrating and glum faces. In short, it is a indeed a "torture" to ask elderly people to work. I certainly hope the Government can initiate a "welfare package" for elderly people so that they can enjoy the remaining years of their lives.

Of course, it is nice to be able to work comfortably at home but how many persons can accomplish it ? This is so especially for mature workers, many of them find it really difficult to find employment once they hit 40 yrs of age. Also, many do not have the much-needed specific skills required of them. This group of citizens has been suffering silently for quite some time.

It is my earnest hope that a section of the classified ads in the local newspapers, be it English or Chinese, be devoted to only those keen in employing mature workers from 40 onwards.

Maybe the Government can come out with some meaningful home-based jobs which pay reasonable remuneration to the many unemployed matures.

Or maybe forummers here can generate some more viable and practical options apart from those listed above ?

like what GM and myself had said before, unless the particular person has special skills, chances are home-based jobs pay miserable.

what's skill? I know of someone who work at home trading shares. that's his skill and he is surviving on that.

ultimately it bolts down to retirement planning.

I agree with Guest Mature - "Given a choice, who would really like to work?"

If we dun hav a retirement plan and stick to it, those ah kongs cleaning tables and clearing the plates will one day be us. Dun rely on government to take care of us when our savings run dry.

Forgoing a holiday or two, skip a few nite outs and restaurant dining, recycle some old fashion from the olde wardrobe, not everyone can do this. But you will be amazed by how much u can save if u keep doing the above steps consistently for 3 years. Then invest this money to generate a passive income. No matter how small this amount is, it will grow bigger as u grow older.

Serve my fellow bottom men well !

Guest Guest
like what GM and myself had said before, unless the particular person has special skills, chances are home-based jobs pay miserable.

what's skill? I know of someone who work at home trading shares. that's his skill and he is surviving on that.

ultimately it bolts down to retirement planning.

Sure, it is nice to be able to trade shares at home. But how practical is it ?

Does the someone you know, make money every trading day ? Even when market is quiet and bearish ?

Does the someone you know, make money every trading day ? Even when market is quiet and bearish ?

Trading shares similar to gambling, just play or trade within individual limit :blink:

Some times can make few hundred and bad times could loose few thousands too :angry:

a good oral sex makes your day, a good anal sex makes your "hole weak"

Guest Guest

I knew a lady who does translation on her spare time mostly during weekends as a side job. She charges $50 per page of translation, quite a good income for her when demands are high, but not enough without income from her full time job.

I knew a lady who does translation on her spare time mostly during weekends as a side job. She charges $50 per page of translation, quite a good income for her when demands are high, but not enough without income from her full time job.

I think so too for those who required translation without any certification by the translator like private letter etc then it's simple .......... I remember my office wanted to translate document in french language, wahlau the qualified & certified translator quoted a 'bomb' per page and some more, how dense the content per page in A4 to would cost more :o

Maybe giving tuition to primary pupils is one alternative as side income :unsure:

a good oral sex makes your day, a good anal sex makes your "hole weak"

the thing about home based job is that income will not be stable, some days you earn a lot, some just literal waste of time.

my fren is currently helping his family to manage a portfolio of shares. i guess he managed to do a reasonable job as his family and relatives placed their investment $$$ with him. something like a pvt banker for the family.

• Guest locked this topic