Male HQ

Smrt Ceo Should Resign

Guest Guest

I have been questioning Saw Phaik Hwa's dubious credentials and incompetence for years. Perhaps, now, Singaporeans would finally wake up after a week of colossal fcukups.

The familee will never let her resign. To do so will create a very dangerous precedent for Singaporeans to force out other Leelated scums whenever fcuk ups occur. Nevertheless, this bitch has become an embarassment and the face saving way for the Foreigners' Action Party is not to renew her contract on expiry.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ai yo, you think she cares about you common people?. As long as the company can always raise the public transport fees and she got big bonuses, nothing is important. Anyway she never take MRT.

Guest Insideman

Well at first I felt that she should shoulder part blame then when I saw that she's zipping away in her ferrari that really pissed me off...someone create a new petition for her to step down,,,

In today's The Star by its Singaporean correspondent:

http://thestar.com.m...582&sec=Insight

Saturday December 24, 2011

Transport system starts to malfunction

INSIGHT DOWN SOUTH BY SEAH CHIANG NEE

The latest crisis in Singapore is public transport, which has been getting intolerably overcrowded in recent years. It has joined a few other over-burdened services like public housing and healthcare facilities.

SINGAPORE’S public transport system has become the latest thing to feel the weight of rapid population expansion.

For years debate has raged without conclusion whether Singapore can accommodate six-and-a-half million people or even more.

Well, with the population reaching 5.18 million many Singaporeans are now convinced they have the answer, and it’s not what the government likes to hear.

The people explosion in the past decade has strained public services on the island – one of the most densest-populated in the world – to breaking point.

Singapore’s infrastructure – painstakingly built and maintained – is still in fairly working order compared to many countries, but it has lost much of its previous lustre.

The latest crisis is public transport, which has been getting intolerably overcrowded in recent years. It has joined a few other over-burdened services like public housing and healthcare facilities.

Last year, there were more shortage cases of make-do hospital beds along corridors, and fresh graduates unable to buy public houses and delaying marriages.

A new one now has emerged – trains and buses.

Built 24 years ago when the population was half the size, Singapore’s Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) broke down last week on a daily basis, stranding more than 200,000 passengers.

For the first time Singaporeans were finding out that their “world-class” transport system was starting to malfunction.

The MRT breakdown was “extremely serious”, exclaimed Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew.

Many Singaporeans are demanding that SMRT CEO Saw Phaik Hwa resign to take responsibility. A petition attracted 1,400 signatures.

After saying she might do just that, Saw later changed her mind and now says she will stay.

The failures caused widespread public misery. Stories abound of businessmen missing deals and appointments and workers having part of their wages docked for coming late.

A government backbencher said she had received numerous appeals for help from affected commuters.

“Some workers made it home around midnight,” she said.

The rail dilemma recalled Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong from a two-week leave to announce he was ordering a national inquiry.

The demand for public transport spilled into jammed buses, where fleet expansion had already resulted in the hiring of poorly-trained foreign drivers unfamiliar with the roads.

Like a comedy of errors, several drivers found themselves driving around in circles before reporting being lost.

In one case travellers were kept in the vehicle for hours as the driver, probably from China, drove around trying to find the right way.

The train inquiry will throw up some questions. Minister Liu noted that train frequencies over the years to cater to a growing population had resulted in less time to carry out inspections and maintenance.

“We are getting away lightly. Things could have been much worse. It is lucky we have avoided a train crash,” said a commuter.

Many critics blame the government for running public services (including transport and public housing) like a business where keeping costs down and profits up is top priority.

The transport fiasco will continue to have an impact on politics in the years ahead until the next election. It will affect all Singaporeans, but one group above all – senior citizens.

The Straits Times published a survey last week which said Singaporeans were most dissatisfied with the public transport system and disliked the poor punctuality.

The survey, done before the recent breakdowns, said four out of 10 in this group were seniors above 60 years old, of which 41% were very dissatisfied.

The feelings are understandable. They already live in one of Asia’s most expensive retirement cities, and the government policy is to make it costly to operate a car.

I have often heard people talk of Singapore being a small island.

Well, it may be to the young and mobile – but for a 71-year-old like me whose health had known better days, Singapore is definitely not small.

And moving around becomes harder. Last week particularly was a nightmare.

Two years ago when I downgraded to a smaller home I was guided by one thought – how to avoid being squeezed by the government’s future transport strategy.

It looked obvious to me the policy was to make car ownership impossibly expensive to contemplate. So I searched everywhere for a home that was within 10 minutes walk from a train station.

That was easier said than done. It seemed everyone had the same idea and costs were going up.

To me, depending on public transport was not an option but a necessity.

I was preparing for the inevitable day when I would have to surrender my old four-wheeler to the junkyard because of rising operating costs.

At the moment, the Singaporean’s love affair with the car remains strong, but I believe the authorities will invent tougher fiscal measures to pry the car away from him.

Some will, of course, rather kiss Singapore goodbye than their vehicle.

One devilish way on the card is the replacement of the Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) system, where cars passing through certain gantry points are automatically charged a fee.

In its place, the authorities will introduce the Global Positioning System (GPS) to satellite-track vehicles on Singapore roads for tax purposes.

When that day arrives, the moment you drive your car out of your front gate, the government taxman takes over – unseen and efficient.

That will probably happen within the next two years. By then few Singaporeans can afford to keep their cars or abandon the train or bus.

This is why the Transport Minister has the good wishes of every commuter in Singapore to repair public transport on time.

Edited by qedcwc

"You like who you like lah. Who cares if someone likes the other someone because of their race? It's when they hate them. That's the problem."

Orked (acted by Sharifah Amani) in SEPET (2004, directed by Yasmin Ahmad)

ex-SMRT staff on why SMRT breaks down...

http://forum.channel...MRT-breaks-down

The problem all started when the Sr staffs were retrenched, resigned, retired and asked to leave. When she took over how many senior staff with years of experience and trained by experts from Japan, England and Hong Kong that did not agreed with her was removed and replaced with young people with paper qualifications and have not the slightest idea of how to run a train system. There these young management staff tried to impress her by backstabbing each other, come out with hairbrain ideas or quick fix solutions that did not sound in the long run. Well guess what after 10 years of this type of sh.it from a well oiled and smooth running system she ran it to the ground. Mark my words as long as she is in the helm surrounded by her clueless dogs there will be no improvment.

That was the time I took a serious look at my retirement plan. Then came her waves of cost cutting measures, buying of cheap spares that looks good on paper but can't even last till the next round of preventive maintainance, reduce the manpower to all sections working at skeleton crew level. The last straw came when some of my junior staffs was not satisfied with the way they were graded and the amount they got compare to what their bosses got. They brough it up to the union and HR and they got the same reply " The door is always open". That was when I knew the sh.it has hit the ceiling and I took my earily retirment and joined my fellow former co-workers.

Thanks for the post "hitex"

:clap: :clap:

There is an article posted on the Chinese Papers this morning. Some people are questioning the professional certification (Business Continuity Management BCM SS 540 certified by Spring Singapore) that SMRT has acquired. Now the credibility of this certification is under questioned.

In paper this listed company has BCM but in reality they SERIOUSLY LACK THE COMPETENCE to manage crisis. Although there are people who commented that Singaporeans are complaint king and blowing things out of proportion, I strongly feel that we are not:

We cannot compromise on the safety of commuters and lower the standard & expectation of SMRT - this listed company is providing public transport to most of the commuters in Singapore. Imagine if there is a terrorist attack, how can they manage the situation.

Since the government has relentlessly advocate the importance of awareness and vigilance towards terrorism, I would want to see how they will regard these serious blunders SMRT has caused. The government MUST send a strong message that such actions cannot be tolerated

12月23日,在《联合早报·言论》拜读了林恒仁先生的文章《地铁瘫痪与危机管理》后,获益不浅也感慨良多。

关于地铁大瘫痪的讨论不少,但林先生这篇文章指出了非常重要的问题,值得大家深思。

原来地铁公司SMRT是获得专业认证的组织,而且认证的项目是其危机管理能力(Business Continuity Management,简称BCM),就是在发生足以影响公司正常运作的突发状况时,有足够的应变机制和能力渡过难关,维持企业的持续管理。

负责认证的不是什么商业机构,而是官方的新加坡标准与创新局(Spring Singapore);认证的时间也不是太久远,不过就是2008年而已。

地铁瘫痪三连发,暴露出来的不但是硬体失修、管理失察的重大问题,瘫痪发生后应变不及,影响国人生活和公共秩序,也证明林先生所言不虚:“SMRT并没有通过认真的BCM认证,就算有也不到位。”

由此我们更应该需要追问的是,SMRT是如何获得BCM SS 540的标准认证的?同时也要问的是,标新局是根据什么标准颁发BCM SS 540的认证给SMRT?认证是否一次性的?是否需要每年更新?如果不需要,消费者如何确保企业依然符合认证标准?

更让人不寒而栗的是,到底还有多少获得类似官方认证的机构、组织,其实也和SMRT一样,在认证那一年可能满足了标准,过后却不了了之,认证机构有没有继续追踪获得认证的单位是否维持标准;获得认证的单位是否也如同会考及格的考生一样,把课本都烧掉了?

林先生的文章说,获得BCM SS 540认证标准的企业,获得纳税人津贴,认证的目的是“配合国家总体安全”。作为认证机构,标新局有必要公开向国人解释,当初如何通过SMRT的认证,事后是否有起到尽职调查(due diligence)的责任?从2008年至今到底津贴SMRT多少公款?这些津贴都用在什么地方?

另外,标新局也有必要公布,还有哪些涉及国家和公共安全的企业、单位获得类似的认证?这些获得认证的单位是否都还符合认证的标准?

获得认证的SMRT犯了如此重大的纰漏,让我们必须重新检视既有的制度到底还有哪些体质性的隐性问题。希望李显龙总理宣布设立的独立调查委员会尽快展开工作,也希望委员会要扩大调查范围,确保新加坡的公共与国家安全没有隐患。

The familee will never let her resign. To do so will create a very dangerous precedent for Singaporeans to force out other Leelated scums whenever fcuk ups occur. Nevertheless, this bitch has become an embarassment and the face saving way for the Foreigners' Action Party is not to renew her contract on expiry.

U mean she is linked with familee? how do you know?

Guest Kendall

In this MRT crisis, beside the role of smoothly operating the trains by SMRT, there are a few issues (still being investigated) which may be thrown out.

(1) that companies like SMRT would have preferred a cheaper maintenance scheme which is corresponding insufficient for the 24 year-old lines.

(2) that SMRT staff is incapable of handling the crisis (not that they are incompetent, but they have not been sufficiently empowered but waiting for instructions)

(3) MRT is already the babckbone of Spore's transportation system, there is little or no alternative when the MRT is down. Not even when the new lines are up.

These few issues which I have brought up are not solely SMRT's doing, but it has to do with the overall planning and the national work culture. In fact, many local companies with a local workforce would probably face the same problems and react much the same way under these circumstances.

If so, whose fault is it?

Guest Shameless Kendall

In this MRT crisis, beside the role of smoothly operating the trains by SMRT, there are a few issues (still being investigated) which may be thrown out.

(1) that companies like SMRT would have preferred a cheaper maintenance scheme which is corresponding insufficient for the 24 year-old lines.

(2) that SMRT staff is incapable of handling the crisis (not that they are incompetent, but they have not been sufficiently empowered but waiting for instructions)

(3) MRT is already the babckbone of Spore's transportation system, there is little or no alternative when the MRT is down. Not even when the new lines are up.

These few issues which I have brought up are not solely SMRT's doing, but it has to do with the overall planning and the national work culture. In fact, many local companies with a local workforce would probably face the same problems and react much the same way under these circumstances.

If so, whose fault is it?

Reading your posting is always a put off:

(1) your writing style reveals balantly that you are a "try very hard to act smart and knowledgeable" guy. But in reality, you are honestly and seriously not that good. We have read enough posting in BW rebutting your comments and leaving you dumb and quiet.

(2) words like "national work culture", "many local companies", "local workforce" shameless exposed your biasness - such accusations make your true colour show - stupidity. If for instance, the problem was caused by a lack of maintenance due to cost cutting, many companies (local or international) across countries are guilty. Some with even greater impact. It is NOT typical of Singapore. As a supposedly intelligent person you tried very hard to protray, you should have no problems listing these MNCs right? Unless you are really a frog in a well?

Like what some other BWers have said, if you think Singapore is not as good as you think, why not have the guts and shame to leave, and make an impact to where you come from? You never seem bold enough to answer this................

So whatever you say, you can never command respect.

Guest Kendall
Reading your posting is always a put off: (1) your writing style reveals balantly that you are a "try very hard to act smart and knowledgeable" guy. But in reality, you are honestly and seriously not that good. We have read enough posting in BW rebutting your comments and leaving you dumb and quiet. (2) words like "national work culture", "many local companies", "local workforce" shameless exposed your biasness - such accusations make your true colour show - stupidity. If for instance, the problem was caused by a lack of maintenance due to cost cutting, many companies (local or international) across countries are guilty. Some with even greater impact. It is NOT typical of Singapore. As a supposedly intelligent person you tried very hard to protray, you should have no problems listing these MNCs right? Unless you are really a frog in a well? Like what some other BWers have said, if you think Singapore is not as good as you think, why not have the guts and shame to leave, and make an impact to where you come from? You never seem bold enough to answer this................ So whatever you say, you can never command respect.

Instead of rebutting on facts, you are merely getting personal, as such I see no need to answer you.

Guest Shameless Kendall

Instead of rebutting on facts, you are merely getting personal, as such I see no need to answer you.

Another "escape".............

Your accusations on "national work culture", "many local companies", "local workforce" are ALREADY personal attacks, and ALREADY not based on facts, so who are you talking about when you said "getting personal"?

If I did a personal attack, that is because you started it, and my attack is towards you only, while yours is towards Singapore and Singaporeans. And your comments were not based on facts, mine were based on what you posted, so it is fact.

You are right you don't have to answer, you never have answered (if you think this place don't live up to your standard, go back and make an impact). Anyway, other BWers can see for themselves.

Guest Shameless Kendall

You try another approach: respect others, be fair in your comments, then you see if you are attacked. I can give you examples right here right now: your postings on 19 Dec 11, those were objective comments, no one attacked you. :thumb:

gstc82, please do not compare Singapore with other countries. We have our own standards to upkeep. If you always want to compare Singapore with the less developed nations, how are we going to improve our standards? Singapore is supposed to be an advanced first world country. Compare us with top class countries in Europe or Japan with advanced technologies, ok?

Most of us are not primarily angry that the trains broke down. Yes, things don't go right sometimes. But we are frustrated at the way the situation was handled. How do you explain that passengers were trapped there for 1 hour in the dark with hardly any air to breathe? Someone got to break the window. These passengers were not trapped in some remote island with no help. The driver was there. The train station staff were within walking distance. Why should anyone be trapped there for so long and suffer? Why must the window be broken? Do you understand how serious that was?

What's the point of having all those emergency exercises previously? For show only? Obviously SCDF and SMRT failed very miserably. I now know all those are just an act. Not practical at all in real life emergencies.

Why should SMRT CEO resign? Of course! She failed to perform her rightful duties. When people are found unsuitable for a job, they have to leave. It's the same in any first world country. If you don't ask the CEO of SMRT to resign, a message will be sent that whenever you make a mistake because you are negligent, it is ok. At most, just apologize and you get to keep your high paying job. How easy.

This unfortunate experience is something so basic. We are not even talking about dealing with a terrorist attack. Train breaks down. How do you evacuate your passengers quickly and safely? SMRT failed very badly in that aspect. Period.

With her qualifications and working experience, she is definately under qualified for job of a CEO ofpublic transport company.

The most she should be employed as a business development head.

The bulk of the profit she brought in were mainly from the retail development in and around the train stations which is actually her forte.

There is nothing or little for her to do to increase the ridership, its already a monoply business for the east/west line.

And she had also done nothing too to increase train frequencies until after the GE when being pressured from the top.

Huh Kendall, u claim you base on facts, really meh? What facts? Please show the "facts". Wow, this incident shows that there are so so many many experts in sg know how to run the mrt..

I do not think many people here claim to be experts on they made comments here.

The transport system is part of our life and many here wrote their posts based on their experience and observation and I would add rightly so.

It is ironic tat when things go wrong in other countries, we tend to think what's new? But when things go wrong in Singapore, we are up in arms (against SMRT and Mdm Saw in this case). But that's only cos over the years our govt has been brainwashing us tat they deserve the highest pay cos they can deliver. All the time the national papers would say we are no 1 in this and top in that.

I am curious to know how old is our Mrt systems compared to other countries.

Whatever it is, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know tat there is something seriously wrong with physical systems of our mrt and the management. What we see now is only the surface.

That's why it takes no less than the top man in spore and the transport minister to call for an inquiry.

But as we know by now, information is never perfect and always controlled. So we never get the full picture. It will be what they want us to hear.

For those who work in, for or with the govt, you would know that bureaucracy is part of it. If you take it out, then there is no more this this thing called garment. Which means to say that everything must look nice on paper. What happens in practice will depend on how u argue your way thru and how much your boss likes u.

Sometimes Singaporeans dun ask for a lot. Since the govt wants to make cars unaffordable, then we make do with public transport. Now tat the only means has failed us to some extent, it's only right tat we demand an explanation. All we want is an efficient transport system, which is what the government has promised us by making it a monopoly in the first place.

Are we that silly that our govt can "brainwash" us? Singapore has Internet and information is easily available for at leat 15 years, so many of Singaporeans travell all over the world, sg is open to international travelers, millions visit us yearly so all these "brainwashing" stuff is kinda "overrated" the govt is not that "powerfully" to do that here now. We are not like china or north Korea or Cuba. All govt in the world will want to let the people know they are doing a good job. And for "brainwashing", you shd direct that to TOC , TR etc whose job mainly is to bash the govt and support any one opposing the pap for the sake of it, as the resent MP"s fiasco shows. I take offense that you think Singaporeans are so stupid that we can be "brainwashed" in this day and age. Well we know that all these "brainwashing"did not work as you are obviously not brainwashed by the govt.

Traffic is already bad, I for one do not wish our traffic to be like kl, bkk, or jkt. Make cars cheap, Than where to build more roads, carparks etc? The govt shd now pull up its socks and drastically improve public transport. Saw shd stay and focus on retail aspects of mrt and another technical guy in focus on the technical aspects of the mrt.

Are we that silly that our govt can "brainwash" us? Singapore has Internet and information is easily available for at leat 15 years, so many of Singaporeans travell all over the world, sg is open to international travelers, millions visit us yearly so all these "brainwashing" stuff is kinda "overrated" the govt is not that "powerfully" to do that here now. We are not like china or north Korea or Cuba. All govt in the world will want to let the people know they are doing a good job. And for "brainwashing", you shd direct that to TOC , TR etc whose job mainly is to bash the govt and support any one opposing the pap for the sake of it, as the resent MP"s fiasco shows. I take offense that you think Singaporeans are so stupid that we can be "brainwashed" in this day and age. Well we know that all these "brainwashing"did not work as you are obviously not brainwashed by the govt.

Now I see why some ppl hv to humtum u in their posts cos u r such one track minded person who jumps to conclusions. While you are entitled to your opinions pls do not put words into others' mouths. Where did i say tat singaporeans are stupid? Tat govt try to brainwash us dun mean it has succeeded fully as can be seen from ge results.

I notice tat you do not add much to a debate as you focus on trivial points.

Also when u say tat many sound like experts who know how run smrt, you are sounding like u seem to know more than others. Learn to be humble and take critcism.

Well did you or did you not claim the govt brainwashed us n we Singaporeans are "fools" like lambs and stupidly that easy to be brainwashed? If a country with heavily censored media yes you can brainwash the public, but it's not possible in the last two decades for the givt to brainwash anyone here, do you agree or not agree?

Traffic is already bad, I for one do not wish our traffic to be like kl, bkk, or jkt. Make cars cheap, Than where to build more roads, carparks etc? The govt shd now pull up its socks and drastically improve public transport. Saw shd stay and focus on retail aspects of mrt and another technical guy in focus on the technical aspects of the mrt.

Again u prove my point tat u put words into people's mouths. When did I say tat we should make cars cheap? U r really not adding value to debate here.

For eg, we can talk about whether Coe is the only means to control car population? Is the govt using the money to do the right thing by the public transport infrastructure? Where are its shortfalls?

From the he results ment we Singaporeans are more vocal and want the givt to take us seriously, this I see is progress for the country. I am pro Singapore, not pro whatever political party. N I do demand our promised"1st world parliament" and "1st world oposition" which is still sorely lacking. For your info, I voted sdp years ago before it becomes a "trend".

Why is Seng Han Thong such an itchy mouth?

Is he in any way connected to the MRT?

Is he the Minister in charge of transportation?

Is he MP of transportation?

Is he chairman of MRT?

Is he in a committee related to transportation?

Has he any appointment related to transportation?

Zilch.

He is just an MP who got slapped once and burnt at another time by disgruntled citizens.

Now I just wonder why he got his ass involved in this MRT fiasco.

Cleopatra Saw was bearing the brunt of the criticism until this. She must be thanking MP Seng for saving her asshole.

Now Seng's asshole is open wide wide.

I just wonder why he so itchy backside one?

Well did you or did you not claim the govt brainwashed us n we Singaporeans are "fools" like lambs and stupidly that easy to be brainwashed? If a country with heavily censored media yes you can brainwash the public, but it's not possible in the last two decades for the givt to brainwash anyone here, do you agree or not agree?

A certain command of language is needed when one aims to make a point.

There is a difference in meaning btw 'is brainwashing' and 'brainwashed'. The former is a continuous act which will always hv varying degree of success depending on many conditions. The latter means a completed act with an outcome that cannot be changed anymore.

So to answer your question, I did not claim tat our govt brainwashed us. I meant to say tat it is trying to brainwash us into thinking that they deserve to be given the highest pay in the world. So ur second qn is redundant and irrelevant.

U r of cos welcome to take pride in taking ur stand. But pls brush up or ur grammar first so tat u do not misread and then put words into others mouth.

Haha. Now if you are really as "smart" as u think you are, that's the beat you got? Attacking me on something that is not relevant? Goes to show how very wrong and weak your arguments are. Y claimed the govt brainwashed Singaporeans, back up your stand as its bit possible in this day and age in Singapore to be brainwashed by the govt. so back up your claim. It's obviously you can't and chose to "attack" on another front, personally. Too bad u failed. Moral of the story, k ow your worth and don't act too smart if you are not.

Haha. Now if you are really as "smart" as u think you are, that's the beat you got? Attacking me on something that is not relevant? Goes to show how very wrong and weak your arguments are. Y claimed the govt brainwashed Singaporeans, back up your stand as its bit possible in this day and age in Singapore to be brainwashed by the govt. so back up your claim. It's obviously you can't and chose to "attack" on another front, personally. Too bad u failed. Moral of the story, k ow your worth and don't act too smart if you are not.

U really test my patience! Lol

I made a very specific point tat the govt is trying to influence us into thinking that cos they r the most efficient govt in the world they deserve the highest pay. Tat is my point in that line.

Now I see u dun understand what i wrote. My apologies.

Guest Lovegstc82dick

Oh by the way the only things I put into other peoples mouth is food(which I cook very well, if u are handsome, I may consider cooking for you), my tongue n my cock. Nothing else I put in other people"s mouth.

Tats nice. Would like u to put ur dick in my mouth and my ass. How big is it? Can share?

What's ur stats? I prefer sparring with swords to pens. Lol

Guest Lovegstc82dick

Oh by the way the only things I put into other peoples mouth is food(which I cook very well, if u are handsome, I may consider cooking for you), my tongue n my cock. Nothing else I put in other people"s mouth.

Tats nice. Would like u to put ur dick in my mouth and my ass. How big is it? Can share?

What's ur stats? I prefer sparring with swords to pens. Lol

Really?did they? Or Are you That naive to be influenced or brainwashed? Do u know many have to get drastic pay cut to be ministers? Even though the top guys In sg do not earn obscene amounts the guys at wall street earn, it's a big pay cut. N what's this mrt got to do with ministers pay? Lol. Well, why don't u also blame the govt for the recent raining days, or why U2, Madonna don't play concerts here.

From the he results ment we Singaporeans are more vocal and want the givt to take us seriously, this I see is progress for the country. I am pro Singapore, not pro whatever political party. N I do demand our promised"1st world parliament" and "1st world oposition" which is still sorely lacking. For your info, I voted sdp years ago before it becomes a "trend".

In that case, why don't you be the 1st world citizen and go join some NGOs or civil society, and champion your cause? Instead of becoming a keyboard warrior here?

There is a difference between criticism and complaint; being vocal does not mean you are absolutely right.