Male HQ

Will you migrate to another country + Which country to migrate to? (Compiled)

Hello1763

(新加坡7日讯)一项由媒体研究机构MindShare进行,访问2000多名新加坡人的调查显示,有56%的人表示,如果有得选择,会想要移民,而且首选马来西亚。

世界银行的数据则显示,近30万人在2010年成为移民者,其中10万人选择大马为移民地。

该国人口及人才署则显示,从6月份算起,有20万新加坡人过去1年来在国外居住至少半年,这比9年前的数据增加了27%。

在MindShare的调查中,让最多新加坡人想离开的原因包括“不该耗尽一生付房贷”(75%)、“公共房屋的价格太离谱”(73%)、“新加坡人没有优先获得就业机会”(73%),及“医药费高涨”(72%)。

其他让当地人不满的原因包括“太多外国工人抢机会”(68%)、“不相信能在新加坡享有舒适的退休生活”(65%)及“政治领袖的薪水太高”(62%)。

最多人不满的原因,大多与高涨的生活费和竞争激烈的就业市场有关。

有49%的受访者表示,“同意”或“强烈同意”新加坡政府将国家治理得相当好。只有8%的人觉得,政府做得不好。但是,有高达43%的人对政府的表现不置可否,显示新加坡人对于政府还是有些不满意。

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Singapore is still home afterall.

A lot of foreigners admire our stability, safety, linguistic ability, clenaliness & multiculturalism.

Yes, it's expensive to stay here, so is Hong Kong or Tokyo.

Make the best while you are here.

Learn to cook, budget/save & plan for one's retirement.

One does not need a merce, a condo, branded stuffs, lots of cash to be happy here.

Taking public transport, living in a 3 rm hdb & having enuff to spend are okay, too.

Nowadays, Singapore is much more gay friendly compared to 30 yrs ago.

Of course TST won't report on it, they are the government's lapdogs.

Technically so are The Business Times and The New Paper, they are under SPH.

Anyway, I feel survey results that do not publish their methodology - wording of the questions, sample, collation etc. - should always be taken with a liberal amount of salt.

I agree that the standards of living in Singapore have reached a stage where Singaporeans are feeling increasingly disillusioned about their prospects. I also believe that quite a fair amount of Singaporeans have a disproportionate sense of entitlement and a skewed perspective of migration - partially because we have a tendency to dwell in the period before the influx of foreigners, amongst other reasons, when our needs were better taken care of by the government.

Whether you live in Singapore or abroad, there will be challenges for you to face. Are you going to run whenever these challenges present themselves? Every bed of roses comes with thorns and you are the gardener.

Everyone has opinions but whether they are justifiable is another issue.

Maybe bcos of proximity, it is still near to their frds & relatives here. Yet the cost of living is lower & they don't have to be bombarded with "talents" all ard

What's more interesting to me is the fact that; 56% of those peoples that want migrate will prefer to migrate to Malaysia.

So we want to migrate to another country.... Hey wait a minute! Then we become classified as "foreigners" and may likely get hurled abuses or despised by locals there. How about that?

So we want to migrate to another country.... Hey wait a minute! Then we become classified as "foreigners" and may likely get hurled abuses or despised by locals there. How about that?

no, there is a specific term for it. GCT referred to as quitters in Sg's 37th national day rally speech. Actually even the FT students on full scholarships to SG are also quitters..

May Fan Rong, a mainland Chinese undergraduate studying in Singapore said that the majority of her compatriots were looking to continue their studies and careers in either the United States, Canada or Australia. She was confident that all of them would receive PR status in Singapore, but doubted any would remain here. “We’d only stay on if we cannot find opportunities abroad,” she said.

The wikileaks dossier confirms the survey findings.

Compounding the problem of low birth rate, a significant portion of Singapore citizens and Permanent Residents (PRs) move away from the country each year, Dr. Yap said. Each year over the past five years, between 5,000-8,000 Singapore citizens and PRs permanently left Singapore. This occurred notwithstanding Singapore’s then-robust economic growth and strong job market. With an average of only 30,000 births and 15,000 deaths each year, the impact of so many departures on Singapore’s population was significant, Dr. Yap added.

weniger aber besser

Singapore is far too small, and far too crowded. It is not the govt's fault that the land area of Singapore is so small.

Well, say that I buy the story that we need more people in order to sustain Singapore economically..but to what extent can the population grow? There must be a upper limit...so the govt says 6.5 million....but will it stop there? If 6.5 million is not enough to generate more economic growth, then what next? Some people should be encouraged to move out of Singapore then...but which group of people?

It is just as well that when one gets old, we can retire in some other cheaper country, where the cost of living is lower.....on the assumption that the other country welcomes such people.....so based on the assumption, that the retiree is asset / cash rich.....so after selling your HDB...and probably getting some money from your CPF, they can go to Malaysia or Indonesia and rent or buy a place there to live.....assuming it is cheaper to buy or rent there. Many Westernres already do this, esp Europeans going to Thailand to retire and spend their pension money, etc....so we can do something similar.

One should not blame anyone if 21 people stay in your 3rm flat. There are many reasons why is that so. Why 21 people? Due to lack of family planning? What made part of the 21 people not have a home of their own? Were any if the 21 people previously own flats n sold them for any reason? Instead of blaming the govt over your personal "misfortune", did u ask what had you n the other 20 done to make better of the situation?

One should not blame anyone if 21 people stay in your 3rm flat. There are many reasons why is that so. Why 21 people? Due to lack of family planning? What made part of the 21 people not have a home of their own? Were any if the 21 people previously own flats n sold them for any reason? Instead of blaming the govt over your personal "misfortune", did u ask what had you n the other 20 done to make better of the situation?

i dont think he literally meant squeezing 21 people in a 3 room flat due to lack of family planning and not having a house of their own...

i think he is using a 3 room flat to represent singapore... and squeezing 21 people refers to bringing in many foreigners... and the person who brings in the 21 people will be the govt

Edited by takeitoff

well said!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

being treated as a second class citizen in a foreign country... its not the same as being treated as a second class citizen in ur home country...

Hahahaha! "takeitoff" - well said too! Not point replying/explaining to that thing lah (the xxx82), it has no brains.......... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

i dont think he literally meant squeezing 21 people in a 3 room flat due to lack of family planning and not having a house of their own...

i think he is using a 3 room flat to represent singapore... and squeezing 21 people refers to bringing in many foreigners... and the person who brings in the 21 people will be the govt

You read the postings that guy posted,

articulation has problem.

understanding also has problem.

Don't know if this type is talent or not? hahahaha

Oh dear guests. There are mAny " talents" in kl. if cos if u want to stay in the jungle.
i dont think he literally meant squeezing 21 people in a 3 room flat due to lack of family planning and not having a house of their own... i think he is using a 3 room flat to represent singapore... and squeezing 21 people refers to bringing in many foreigners... and the person who brings in the 21 people will be the govt

singapore citizens treated like 2nd class? in what way? This is so crazy. Just because u feel slighted in our global economy, that does not mean you are 2nd class.

PRs and foreigners pay more school fees, pay more in housing, pay more in taxes, pay more in everything.

Fyi, about 50% of the space in singapore is not yet utilized. So why not?

After travelling around the world and doing business with many other countries, singapore is one of the best. If you think you are far better off somewhere else, good luck to you. You cannot succeed in singapore, you cannot succed aniwhere.

In China the poor remain poor, the housing prices are expensive like mad. In japan, new york, london, shanghai, beijing, california its all darn expensive, and pay is even lower!

singapore citizens treated like 2nd class? in what way? This is so crazy. Just because u feel slighted in our global economy, that does not mean you are 2nd class.

PRs and foreigners pay more school fees, pay more in housing, pay more in taxes, pay more in everything.

After travelling around the world and doing business with many other countries, singapore is one of the best. If you think you are far better off somewhere else, good luck to you. You cannot succeed in singapore, you cannot succed aniwhere.

In China the poor remain poor, the housing prices are expensive like mad. In japan, new york, london, shanghai, beijing, california its all darn expensive, and pay is even lower!

does anyone know how many ppl can our current transport system handle?

if i am not wrong, probably 4 million? the thing is our govt wants to increase the population to 6.5 million? i think this is wat irks us all, the "smartest" and best paid leaders of the country built a transport system for 4 million ppl and told us that we can comfortably take in up to 6.5 million population?

and when we ask them to review the transport system try to make it better, people say we should not complain cos other countries have bad transport systems too. then WTF should we pay the govt so much for? so they can plan a transport system for 4 million ppl like 20 years ago, and now that we hit 5.2 million, tell us to jus suck it up?

Guest SeriousLee

does anyone know how many ppl can our current transport system handle?

if i am not wrong, probably 4 million? the thing is our govt wants to increase the population to 6.5 million? i think this is wat irks us all, the "smartest" and best paid leaders of the country built a transport system for 4 million ppl and told us that we can comfortably take in up to 6.5 million population?

and when we ask them to review the transport system try to make it better, people say we should not complain cos other countries have bad transport systems too. then WTF should we pay the govt so much for? so they can plan a transport system for 4 million ppl like 20 years ago, and now that we hit 5.2 million, tell us to jus suck it up?

It's a sad indictment of Singaporean society when public transport is quoted as a reason for leaving the country.

Oh dear guests. There are mAny " talents" in kl. if cos if u want to stay in the jungle.

What is that supposed to mean?

"You like who you like lah. Who cares if someone likes the other someone because of their race? It's when they hate them. That's the problem."

Orked (acted by Sharifah Amani) in SEPET (2004, directed by Yasmin Ahmad)

I totally agree.

In order to make an informed decision whether or not to migrate, they need to live there for a while, try to make a living there and pay the taxes. I am sure most of them will soon realise Singapore is a better place to live in.

Every country has its good and bad. No country is ever perfect. Even the US with its freedom of choice etc. sometimes things cannot get done efficiently and effectively because it tries to please everybody. While I have never been treated like a 2nd class citizen, I think this myth is the result of the older generation first migrating here and being unfamiliar with the language and culture, today's immigrants are well educated and sophisticated in the culture and/or language etc. of the country they are planning to migrate to and blend well and integrate themselves.

After spending so many years here in the US, I think there is a whiny mentality to Singaporeans in general. Years of the government taking care of everything has created a culture of unrealistic expectations. Your life is what you make of it. Not the anyone else's and certainly not the government's. The infrastructure has been provided for you, I.e. education, healthcare, housing etc. but how you live and make of your life is up to you.

Life is life no matter what country you migrate to. You will face more or less the same problems in Singapore or anywhere else.

Love. 

im not saying that singapore is a bad place to live in... definitely its better than most places... but its not as rosy as what we are always told... and why should we keep comparing with places that we are better than... wont it just be a race to avoid the bottom?

even after being behind by 2 yrs... i still have reservice liabilities that affect my marketability compared with the majority... given that there are foreigners and prs... and only 50% of singaporeans are liable... i can say that if i am equally qualified... there are more than 50% of those in the workforce who are more marketable than i am just because of this... if i have to be more qualified than others to be considered equal... i dont think i am wrong to think im second class here

dont think that all who are not happy here are not happy only because they have not seen the outside world... i was seconded for a year in melbourne and i felt that i was more valued there...we are all entitled to our opinions... just because you dont agree with me... it doesnt mean my thinking is crazy or that i have not seen anywhere else...

i agree that the places u named are expensive... but are you certain the pay here is higher than london japan california or newyork? if ur using ppp here i agree we might be better off than some of these... but definitely not all

Many friends who had been to HK will say "MTR is SO much better than SG"s", my HK friend will always say, how do u judge base on spending several days there? Every country has its pros and cons. And to those who want to emigrate due to a "terrible transport and expansive housing" it's stupid.

Many friends who had been to HK will say "MTR is SO much better than SG"s", my HK friend will always say, how do u judge base on spending several days there? Every country has its pros and cons. And to those who want to emigrate due to a "terrible transport and expansive housing" it's stupid.

i agree thinking of moving cos of transport is stupid... but not housing... its a basic need and if u cant afford one its going to be a problem... but then if ur talking about comparing hk with sg the housing reason for moving doesnt hold anymore... everyone knows how expensive housing there is

i agree thinking of moving cos of transport is stupid... but not housing... its a basic need and if u cant afford one its going to be a problem... but then if ur talking about comparing hk with sg the housing reason for moving doesnt hold anymore... everyone knows how expensive housing there is

agree that housing ain't cheap here but home ownership is among the world highest if not highest. I just purchased a resale 3rm flat. Monthly payment is abt $900, which is covered by my cpf. No country is perfect. Not Singapore

Not Australia. I am not against anyone who want to leave sg, it's their own personal choice. But there are many Singapore with an over inflated sense of entitlement that may make them emigrate. Many left sg but all countries has people emigrating incl Australia where over 80 000 left permanently in 2010/2011. I will suggest Singaporeans who want to emigrate live in their preferred country for several years before making that decision .

agree that housing ain't cheap here but home ownership is among the world highest if not highest. I just purchased a resale 3rm flat. Monthly payment is abt $900, which is covered by my cpf. No country is perfect. Not Singapore

Not Australia. I am not against anyone who want to leave sg, it's their own personal choice. But there are many Singapore with an over inflated sense of entitlement that may make them emigrate. Many left sg but all countries has people emigrating incl Australia where over 80 000 left permanently in 2010/2011. I will suggest Singaporeans who want to emigrate live in their preferred country for several years before making that decision .

i think the reason why home ownership here is one of the highest is because we are brought up thinking that a house is a necessity and renting is usually out of the question... u dont see many locals renting... most i know live with their parents until they are old enough and then they buy their own... but then pay off the loans the rest of their lives

in the end i agree that where u think is the best is mostly based on what u value and what u want... if u like stability, security, safety etc at the expense of personal freedom... then i would think u would be a dumb fxxk to consider moving... but then diff ppl have diff priorities so sg is not going to be the best place to live in for all

i wouldnt say that if u cant succeed here u def cannot succeed anywhere else... but i have to admit its easier to succeed here than many other places...

Am not Singaporean neither PR but I do believe the main reason why many locals want to migrate is that they get way too stressed in the environment here, place not friendly to retirees, come to think of it, if you live in a pressure cooker environment each day of your life 'till you're six ft under then what good will it make to stay in a prosperous place yet full of unhappiness? Too much undue pressure to earn, accumulate - that drives away all people, even foreigners. Don't think foreigners will stay martyr forever, they will always find a place that treats them better, with dignity, respect. It's just not fair to target foreigners and am not being biased just because am one. A country will always benefit from the expertise of foreign talent in the long run, be it technological, cultural, social, etcetera.

At least now u r more objective & less bitchy, we will reciprocate. Otherwise, continue to thumb you nonsense!

U r reasonable & objective unlike a trashy xxx82 - yes I agree with what you said: rising cost hurts everyone, local or foreigners & will make this place less attractive. So do u see our frustration?

Most of us r not against foreigners but we are not FOR 'TOO' many causing the problems u & I can see (overcrowding, competition, rising cost etc u know & experience them all). If it happens to ur country, I m sure u won't like it too.

Of course the govnerment has been explaining this as a need etc, but how do we know what they claim is right? Some others questions are: is this the best way? How many is enough? what are the sacrifices/trade offs we are making? Do we just accept the explanations given as the truth?

Am not Singaporean neither PR but I do believe the main reason why many locals want to migrate is that they get way too stressed in the environment here, place not friendly to retirees, come to think of it, if you live in a pressure cooker environment each day of your life 'till you're six ft under then what good will it make to stay in a prosperous place yet full of unhappiness? Too much undue pressure to earn, accumulate - that drives away all people, even foreigners. Don't think foreigners will stay martyr forever, they will always find a place that treats them better, with dignity, respect. It's just not fair to target foreigners and am not being biased just because am one. A country will always benefit from the expertise of foreign talent in the long run, be it technological, cultural, social, etcetera.

Guest chopped-FoodnetWorkasia

U r reasonable & objective unlike a trashy xxx82 - yes I agree with what you said: rising cost hurts everyone, local or foreigners & will make this place less attractive. So do u see our frustration?

Most of us r not against foreigners but we are not FOR 'TOO' many causing the problems u & I can see (overcrowding, competition, rising cost etc u know & experience them all). If it happens to ur country, I m sure u won't like it too.

Of course the govnerment has been explaining this as a need etc, but how do we know what they claim is right? Some others questions are: is this the best way? How many is enough? what are the sacrifices/trade offs we are making? Do we just accept the explanations given as the truth?

is gstc trashy? you are vindictive and a bully.

Why am I "vindictive" ONLY to him? And by "vindictive", it means I am "retaliating". So who started first. Go read his postings, if he can be nice to others who has a diff opinion, then I will be nice too. But if he decides to be a "bully" like you have described, then I can only follow suit.

is gstc trashy? you are vindictive and a bully.

There's no need for the name calling here - no need to get personal.

Australia, which has more or less been economically stable over the debt crisis, also has quite a significant number of migrants. So this is not uniquely Singapore. There will always be people who think the grass is greener outside, for personal reasons, even if the economy does well, and even if everything seems perfect. I particularly liked rclds123's comment that if SG is a pressure cooker, people will leave, even the foreigners. I think that is very true. I feel it.

But let's face it - there will always be a number of citizens who will never be happy and will always want to find ways out.

I also understand the 3 room flat analogy. But look at cities like Tokyo or Hong Kong - they are much denser than we are, statistically wise. They are great economic centers too. Im not saying we should try to emulate to be like them so that we can be as successful as them. But there is a reason why cities become successful, and a reason is their size and population.

My point is that we are only 40 km plus east to west, 20+ km north to south. We are VERY constrained, quite literally. There is only so much more land we can reclaim from the sea. The only way is to build higher, like what HK is doing. I think 60 storey blocks will be common in the future, if they really want to accommodate 6.5 million people. Unless of course we buy over Batam or Bintan (but do you think Indonesia will sell???)

Space (psychological and physical) is unfortunately not something Singapore can give cheaply to its citizens - and its citizens must accept this. Where they dont, they will migrate and become non-citizens. For me I think it is the lesser of two evils. I would prefer economic prosperity (and put up with more people) than to be living and working in a mediocre country.

What do you prefer?

PS If you played Sid Meier's Civilization you will probably know what I am driving at.

Edited by lausanne

If you have alternatives to what the govt is doing, please share with us!

Guest iMoveAway

"There are many jobs taking up jobs opportunities in our society today" that is what USA says too. But many people still go there to find better opportunities. Even Singaporeans go to the US to find jobs and settle there. USA would say so, you Singaporean, get the hell out of here. Be open minded, you should welcome people as you will like to be welcomed if you are competitive enough.

When the pple pay them millions & supported them, the pple are not asking for such a life.

The "retort" u have used is not uncommon. This is analogous to shareholders questioning the management & management replies in a similar manner. Or for tt matter, it can be used by management when they explained why MRT often breaks down & commuters rebutted.

We have the right to question & state our unhappiness with polices made. This is our right! We are not here to follow blindly and suffer in silence.

I may not be gd enough to offer alternatives, but if I start to mention alternatives suggested by economists Dr Lim Chong Yah (shock therapy) or Mr Ngiam Tong Dow (former Administrative Vice-Minister of the Ministry of Finance and the Prime Minister’s Office, Vice-Minister of the Ministry of Trade and Industry, the Ministry National Development and the Ministry of Communications. Chairman of the Singapore Economic Development Board and the Development Bank of Singapore), someone will explain why these alternatives can't work & the govt's better?

When Dr Lim suggested shock therapy to help the lower income group, ministers and industry leaders were quick to state that this won't work. Isnt vested interest at least part of the reason. If they can get cheaper labour, why help the lower income grp? Some ministers mentioned tt if there needs to be a wage increase, then it must go according to productivity, does Tt mean the lower income grp's productivity has been dropping all these years? If so, why didn't they do something to increase their productivity? And if it is tied to productivity so to speak, why is it that they adjusted the pay of lower income group soon after Dr Lim's alternative? Productivity jumped by 5% over night? All these can be found on papers, they are not my fabrication.

If I mention such alternatives, will someone then say - look! the govt listens & change? If so, I m telling u, yes, THAT'S precisely why we need to speak up. Even if we do not have a supposedly better alternative.

If you have alternatives to what the govt is doing, please share with us!

The pt here is we are aware of benefits foreigners can bring & we do welcome foreigners. We do not have so much disagreements over foreigners previously, WHY?

The answer is TOO many. OVERcrowding. Get it?

As for the argument on "if u r competitive enough", look, not all pple are as competitive, which is why government, unions etc are needed to help the less able. This "protectionism" is evident everywhere. US as u have quoted is not short of examples of how they protect US citizens. Am I not right?

If we were to go only via "the survival of the fittest", all forms of protectionism shld be gone & the weaker, poorer, less fortunate will all be left to die.

It is easy to whip out lines like "be open", "if u r competitive enough", "do u have a better alternative", are u open urself? Do u see things both sides, objectively & in totality?

"There are many jobs taking up jobs opportunities in our society today" that is what USA says too. But many people still go there to find better opportunities. Even Singaporeans go to the US to find jobs and settle there. USA would say so, you Singaporean, get the hell out of here. Be open minded, you should welcome people as you will like to be welcomed if you are competitive enough.

The pt here is we are aware of benefits foreigners can bring & we do welcome foreigners. We do not have so much disagreements over foreigners previously, WHY?

The answer is TOO many. OVERcrowding. Get it?

As for the argument on "if u r competitive enough", look, not all pple are as competitive, which is why government, unions etc are needed to help the less able. This "protectionism" is evident everywhere. US as u have quoted is not short of examples of how they protect US citizens. Am I not right?

If we were to go only via "the survival of the fittest", all forms of protectionism shld be gone & the weaker, poorer, less fortunate will all be left to die.

It is easy to whip out lines like "be open", "if u r competitive enough", "do u have a better alternative", are u open urself? Do u see things both sides, objectively & in totality?

Most Singaporeans do not harbour hostility towards foreigners or you my frd. Pls be objective too & understand how Singaporeans are affected by the influx of foreigners. Thk u

I sincerely thank those who responded to my post in this thread with objectivity. More power to you guys!

Guest Reserved sitting

Most Singaporeans do not harbour hostility towards foreigners or you my frd. Pls be objective too & understand how Singaporeans are affected by the influx of foreigners. Thk u

The hostility was displayed, when you posted " fxxk off we"re full". Now say don't harbor hostility?

• G_M changed the title to Will you migrate to another country + Which country to migrate to? (Compiled)
  • G_M locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic
  • G_M locked and locked this topic