Male HQ

Hapyy Commuters?

According to a recent survey 80% of them seemed happy with the public transport system here (more so for MRT than for the bus network).

'While commuters are, by and large, satisfied with Singapore’s public transport, many have a familiar complaint: The long wait for a bus to arrive.

Out of every 10 public transport users, four are not satisfied with the waiting times of buses. This is in spite of the fact that nearly eight out of 10 say they are satisfied with public transport in general.'

I think I share the same sentiment. The MRT is normally on time, not really that packed even during peak hours (try the London Tube during their office hour and you'll know what I mean) and quite wel-linked (the rather long walk to change line is a minus point though). The bus service fares slightly worse. While the more popular bus routes are generally well covered, those less popular ones often mean longer than accepted waiting time (sometimes as long as 25min if you just miss the bus). Overall the bus service can be improved.

completely agree.

Another example

Last month, My old mother and I waited for 30 minutes at the bus terminal but there was no bus at the departure platform. When I enquire the information desk, the staff then look to check the computer and said "the bus broke down so u hv to wait for the next one."

In the end, we abroaded the bus 40 minutes later. If such information was announced through the PA system, at least the commuters are able to find a solution : take a taxi, take another bus route etc.

If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.

What I also like is the fact the newer bus terminals (Toa Payoh and the coming AMK one) are all built inside a building, away from the elements and where the passengers can wait in the comfort of air-conditioning. You can also just alight from the bus and walk straight into the shopping mall. Cool.

hmmm... actually i beg to differ with the "by and large satisfied" feelings that singaporeans have with the transportation system.

one can't really say that the train is "on time" when you don't know what time the train is supposed to arrive, right? i've observed during my travels that most, if not all the major first-world cities provide actual train timetables telling people when the train is actually coming, and not just a xx-min-more sort of sign.

and i do find that the mrt is very packed during peak hours; i even remember taking the yamanote line (the main train line in tokyo) during their peak hour and thinking "wow singapore's trains are more packed than this". in fact, japan wins hands down for a truly world-class train transit system. super-effecient and ultra-clean.

the buses in singapore are frankly, deplorable for what is supposed to be a "world-class" transportation system. i've taken better buses in beijing compared to quite a few of the buses in singapore; though i must admit that the new fleet of sbs buses are quite good. time to retire the old clonky buses, sbs!

then of course there are the little irritating things like bad signage placement at mrt stations, the noisy tvmobile, the incessant ads showing on the plasma screens on the north-south/east-west mrt platforms...

i do agree with erection-day that the air-con bus terminals are comfortable, though i wish that there is a more energy-effecient way out...

jingle-bitch screwed me over

go to hell jingle-whore

go to hell

go to hell

go to he-l-l

• Guest locked this topic