Male HQ

Taipei Trip Help For Family (Str8 Itinerary)

Guest Alishan

Guest Alishan

Hi,

I'm planning to bring my parents to Taiwan this Novemeber.

Have booked the air tickets. It's a 5-day 4-night stay and now trying to get information on hotel stay, places to visit, food to eat.

I know there are numerous frequent travelers here, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi,

Have booked the air tickets. It's a 5-day 4-night stay and now trying to get information on hotel stay, places to visit, food to eat.

Thanks!

Dude, please go to this forum --> http://www.blowingwind.org/forum/index.php?showforum=30

"You like who you like lah. Who cares if someone likes the other someone because of their race? It's when they hate them. That's the problem."

Orked (acted by Sharifah Amani) in SEPET (2004, directed by Yasmin Ahmad)

Guest Alishan

Seriously, there are tons of info in the net. Don't be lazy n exPect to be spoofed. If u are lazy , shd u not book a package tour instead?

Asking for help here doesn't mean that I'm not looking for information on the net myself. I'm not that lazy and not that simple to just take everything one dimension.

I've already collected quite a bit myself this entire morning, but would like to hear some first hand experiences which might help in my planning.

These information provided here by fellow Singaporeans is a better gauge for me than websites who may not paint a realistic picture. And there are also valuable advice that are not found on some sites that can only be given by fellow travellers.

So is there still anything wrong in me asking for advice here?

BTW, I've checked out the Travelling forum, even though there are some suggestions there, a lot of the information is mostly for gay travelling. Not suitable this time as I'm bringing both my parents.

Asking for help here doesn't mean that I'm not looking for information on the net myself. I'm not that lazy and not that simple to just take everything one dimension.

I've already collected quite a bit myself this entire morning, but would like to hear some first hand experiences which might help in my planning.

These information provided here by fellow Singaporeans is a better gauge for me than websites who may not paint a realistic picture. And there are also valuable advice that are not found on some sites that can only be given by fellow travellers.

So is there still anything wrong in me asking for advice here?

BTW, I've checked out the Travelling forum, even though there are some suggestions there, a lot of the information is mostly for gay travelling. Not suitable this time as I'm bringing both my parents.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g293910-i9303-Taiwan.html

Like what GIRL had provided you. If u borther to even google, there are excellent websites like tripadvisor or even pass threads here in bw abt Taipei. Or you can buy a Taipei guide book from the bookshops. All info you need are available if u google, you can even download the entire subway n railway systems of Taiwan . Since u said you already had some info, maybe you can post some of that info u have and ask are they worth visiting instead of a blanket "what to do" in Taipei.

Edited by gstc82

Guest B*mei

Hi,

Thanks!

Your parents will love this nostalgic place -- Wanhua District.

http://tour.moc.gov....No=200911300012

When there, don't forget to walk to the right of the Cheng Huang Temple .... keep walking for 5 min and you'll reach the 剝皮寮歷史街區 aka 艋舺老街區

http://guide.easytra...13&PlaceID=2733

Guest Guest

Hi,

Thanks!

My favorite cities in the world - Tokyo, SF, Sydney, Barcelona,Bangkok & TAIPEI!

Hotels - Won-star Xi men ting(good location but might be full)

Han She (above a PLUs sauna) in Xi Men Ting

Others - Yomi, Regal executive, Dandy Da Ann; a bit far from Xi Men Ting but close to mrt station

Go Expedia.com to check on these & others.

Gu Gong museum - must visit

Kee Lung/Yeh liu - now got restriction on headcounts per day. pls chk internet taiwan tourism. They have an office in Spore & can get maps & brochure. It's in CBD area. UIC bldg or suntec , not too sure , pls chk.

Food - Xi men ting or Sogo Food court.

jul/Aug/Sep - based on observation for the past 2 yrs, lots of landslide & floods, earthquake. Dec quite cold.

Guest Alishan

Thank you GIRL, sens, B*Mei, and Guest for your genuine help/advice/suggestions.

Gu Gong museum is actually on the top of my list for sights to visit. :thumb:

CKS Memorial Hall I think I will give it a miss.

Long Shan Shi and Cheng Huang Temple I think my parents will enjoy.

Thanks for the head's up for the headcount for Kee Lung. Yes, I will be planning a trip to the Tourism Office at Chevron House after I've compiled all the info I get here and on the net.

I'm also toying with the idea of the half or one day City Tour for one of the days. But it may end up even more tiring and rushing for my parents. LOL!

With regards to the Night Market, Shi Lin seems to be top of the list. True?

My dad is looking forward to take the bullet train.

With time limitation, I don't know if I should go to Taichung (Sun Moon Lake) or KaoHsiung (Kenting). Also, will a day trip suffice?

And sarcastic, you're hunch about "most of us gays love the temples and mountains and stuff" is spot-on. I did get some info on temples here. And no sarcasm intended on my part.

My last trip to Taipei was in 2007 so not sure if some of this info is still valid. Best thing to do is to Google and check out for yourself where to go.

Transport

Best way to get around Taipei is by the Taipei Metro (our MRT equivalent). Buy a One-Day pass to travel around. Refer to this link for more info.

If you plan to take the Gao Tie (high speed train) to Taichung, the train takes only 45 min. My advice is not to bother. Nothing much to do in Taichung unless en route to somewhere else.

Danshui Station

Where Jay Chou shot the movie 'Secret'. Seaside town with souvenir shops, cafes and seafood restaurants. Try the Peacock mussel and walk the Lovers Bridge at sunset.

Xinbeitou Station

Walk uphill to sample one of the many hot springs. Separate for males and females. The sulfuric water is supposed to be good for treating neuralgia, skin ailments and arthritis.

Shilin Station

National Palace Museum. Opening hours 9 am - 5 pm. See the jade cabbage.

Jiantan Station

Alight here for Shilin Yeshi. Heard it's not as good as before. You can try the chicken chop, Ai Yu or the oyster omelette.

Ximen Station

Ximenting. Hangout for youngsters. Food to try are Ah Zhong Mian Sian and Lau Tian Braised Shop.

Taipei Main Station (Interchange)/Taipei Railway

Shinkong Mitsukoshi Dept Store

Zhongxiao Dunhua Station

Eslite 24hr Bookshop (Chen Ping).

Sogo Dept Store

ZhongXiao Xinsheng Station

GuangHua Market

The best place to get computer/electronics products in Taipei. It's like Sim Lim Square in Singapore except these are really small shops in a wet market kind of layout.

Taipei City Hall station

Taipei World Trade Center

Shinkong Mitsukoshi Dept Store (XinKuang San Yue)

Taipei 101 Shopping Mall (Go up to the Observatory)

New York New York

Houshanpi station/Songshan Railway

Wufenpu Garment Wholesale (Good to buy cheap clothing)

Raohe Yeshi (another night market)

Day Trips

YangMingShan (bus Red 5R NT15 from Zhongzhen jie, 30mins ride) - hiking trail and hot springs

Wulai (bus to Wulai NT40 from Xindian, 25mins ride) - hot springs

JiuFen (bus to Jiufen NT44 from Cheelong)- gold mining old town

Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall

Very clean and well laid out. Somewhat artificial and gimmicky. Not really worth going except for a peek.

Shopping in Taipei

Nearly everything in Taiwan is imported so things cost more here. In terms of price and variety, better to shop in Singapore.

Have an enjoyable trip with your parents!

Heal the Past, Live the Present, Dream the Future

Guest Alishan

Thanks Manbane and Starlight for more travel tips.

I will consider the Gao Tie advice and see if I can plan something else and make it a more worthwhile trip.

Also the way you laid out the sight according to the Jie Yun station is EXCELLENT!

Confirms what another traveller wrote...he mentioned that in Taipei city itself, it is most efficient to visit sights/do shopping according to the station so you don't waste as much time.

I've never been to Taipei but my parents have been there but in the late 70s. My dad is in his early 80s and my mum her 70s. Both are still very mobile so I'd like to bring them back to Taiwan.

Thanks again guys!

Given your parents age, I think those that are within the Taipei city you can jolly well take a cab rather than the hassle of them walking to the MRT stations, because from my last year experience, when the locals there say 10mins walk to MRT, it actually means 20 -30 mins and its damn far. Maybe they are used to walking fast. I bought a guide book from Popular bookstore, it goes by the big district and places to visit and eat. Quite handy.

Starbright has highlighted the most common and popular places to go. If you decide to go by the MRT route, best is one day cover one direction. For example based on Starbright suggestion, you can late morning travel to Shilin Station for the National Palace Museum,followed by XinBeiTou to let your parents relax hot spring, then you can go to Danshui late afternoon and walk to Lover's Bridge around sunset for the seaview, then travel back to JianTan for the ShilIn night market for late dinner.

oh dont bring your parents to Chuan Tang hot spring....hahah your dad will be shocked.

Guest Guest

oh dont bring your parents to Chuan Tang hot spring....hahah your dad will be shocked.

Yeah, I would waiting for your dad in the buff. hehe

Taiwanese very open-minded & helpful. Better than neighbouring chinese countries.

They used to be under Jap occupation for a while so some similarities.

Enjoy taiwan!

Alishan, didn't know your parents are in their 70s and 80s. You might want to slow things down a little so that they have enough rest between stops. Pick a few things you think they will enjoy and not try to do too much in a spate of five days. Temperatures in November ranges from 18 degrees to 23 degrees Celsius so you might want to pack warm jackets, scarves and non-slip walking shoes for them.

How about lunch at the original Din Tai Fung in Xinyi Road? They might enjoy that 8-)

Guest Alishan

Thank you all for more suggestions and advice. :thumb:

Actually so kiasu right? Trip in end October but already planning now...

But I won't be kiasu in wanting to do EVERYTHING there. Like Starbright suggested, pick a few and take the time to truly enjoy them. Thanks for the weather forecast as well, and Din Tai Fung is already in my to eat list.

I've read that booking a taxi is about NTD3000 a day, even though more expensive than the MRT day pass, I think it's worth it and less hassle. I've heard that their MRT can be quite a hassle? Distance to the station, and also the walking inside each station. Is it true?

@TYRtan...thanks for tip about avoiding Chuan Tang. :oops:

@Cosmo guy...thanks for tip about taking bullet train to Sun Moon Lake. how long is the bus ride btw? Was it a day trip for you?

I've also read that most Shopping doesn't start early in Taipei...only the big departmental stores are open early...true as well?

from tai chung, it takes arround 1,5 hours by bus to sun moon lake, there is a direct bus from sunmoon lake back to taipei, you can get the ticket at tourist office in sun moon lake

however, taking the bus is very tiring. Leaving sun moon lake at 4 pm and reach tapei around 10 or 11 pm, partly due to traffic jam.

recommended to stay overnight, and take up the hill to the tea plantation in the earlier morning, it was so beautiful

try local dishes ( Thao Style ) in one of the rest at sun moonlake, very yummy

change your Taiwanese currency in singapore, its not so easy to find money changer, u must go to the goverment bank, money changer in big dept store, the rate is not good at all

Here's the link to wikitravel for more information.

Compared to the metro system in Seoul or Tokyo, the one in Taipei is easier to navigate and clean and efficient as well. The only problem is that the stations are usually not linked to major buildings and you will have to do a bit of walking in the open e.g. Xinyi District. Bring an umbrella in case it rains. If you limit your itinerary to 2 or 3 places a day, then you can afford to take all the time you need to move around. Take a cab only to those places which are less accessible e.g Longshan Temple / Wanhua district.

Take my word for it, you will be seriously disappointed in the shopping even though some of the department stores like Shinkong Mitsukoshi Dept Store are 10 storeys or more high. Most stores open at 11 am.

Since your parents are elderly, do target to be back in the hotel after dinner except on the days you are off to the Yeshi, so that they can rest.

Hope this helps 8-)

Jiufen (a walking street on the hill).

something Fu theme park (much much much better, bigger and cheaper than USS).

In case u need to join a package tour, dont ever go to that BRothers travel agency. They will bring u to all the places to buy expensive stuff such as lingzhi, green tea for cancer(?) and jewellry etc where they earn huge commission.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest Alishan

Thanks guys!

I have booked the accommodation at this hotel

http://www.newstayinn.com/en/about.php

I think it's one of the newer hotels. (I want clean sheets LOL!)

Price wise and location wise it is quite decent I think.

oh fab, don't get me started on those tour agencies! always bringing the group to those places where they can earn commission. When I travel, I like to do what locals do and eat what locals eat. Don't think these package tours offer that kind of experience.

A bit more laychay, but I think more rewarding! And thanks to the help and advice here, the planning is coming along very nicely!

Starbright you are very thoughtful with regards to my parents...appreciate that.

But your comment on the lack of good shopping got me apprehensive now...not that I'm a shopaholic, but I thought Taipei is quite a shopping paradise? Or is it a different fashion sensibility? What about places like Wu Fen Pu?

Hi Alishan, don't mean to dampen your enthusiasm. Perhaps you would enjoy shopping in Taipei more than I did. Here's a comment on Wenfenpu on one of the sites:

This is a wholesaler area of 80% women's fashion clothing and 20% guys' clothes. Walk here from Houshanpi mrt station (10min), but don't come here on Mon as that's the day when wholesalers sell to storesowners only. Although prices here are on average cheaper than say Ximending, the fashion at Ximending is slightly different and better quality? I don't know, but that's my experience. I ended up buying alot more unique stuff from Ximending than Wufenpu. But it's really a place for young adults and teens to buy trendy cheap cfashion clothes. Prices range from NT 200 to NT800.

Read more: http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Asia/Taiwan/Taipei_Shih/Taipei-1074413/Shopping-Taipei-TG-C-1.html#ixzz20gi3tneZ

Here are some links for you to check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shopping_in_Taipei

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/taiwan/taipei/shopping

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Asia/Taiwan/Taipei_Shih/Taipei-1074413/Shopping-Taipei-TG-C-1.html

http://www.taiwanese-secrets.com/shopping-in-taipei.html

• 3 weeks later...

Just to offer my 2 cents worth i thought Rao He night mkt was good!

U might wanna give wu fen pu a miss if u're going with parents. Dun think they'll find anything they like and the travel distance is pretty far.

Stayed in TS hotel (ta shun) before too , quite popular n walking distance to xi men station. But as it's not smack in the middle of ximending it's much more peaceful downstairs

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.