Male HQ

Smart Casual For Work ?

b0ynsf19

Hi fellows peoples !

Tomorrow is friday so dress code is Smart casual as this is the first company i've joined and i have no idea what is the exact meaning of Casual Wear .

Is it - Formal Shirt + a pair of Jeans ?

Will it be too over dressing ?

As i have never wore smart casual at all so pardon me for posting such a stupid thread :(

You're the best thing i ever had.

No Tshirt.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Oooooh, I wear smart casual to school (and even to my attachment company since it is a small company) all the time! Basically it is inbetween looking not too formal and and not too "loose" (aka what you would wear at a coffee shop during your off days).

A polo t shirt is good, so is short sleeve collar shirt and a pair of nice jeans. :D

https://merlinsfolio.wordpress.com/

https://medium.com/@merlincheng
"On the Internet, no one knows you are a cat."

Just wear a dress shirt and a long pants/jeans, won't go wrong.

It is ok to overdress than to wear something inappropriate. But don't wear accessories (especially earrings and ear studs) and don on a pair of nice shoes :D

Edited by Slynn

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all"

I wear smart casual to work all the time. Nice jeans (no tears, no fading, not too low rise. Dark washes are preferred, but it is a personal thing) and a nice business shirt, usually with sleeves folded, plus a well-tailored blazer (Optional, since Singapore is so hot). Sneakers sometimes, but I preferred dress shoes/boots to complete the look.

However since it is now summer, and we are experiencing a crazy heat wave here in the US, I have been wearing shorts, tee-shirts and sandals to work.

Love. 

Depends on your company I guess.

When I first started at my company, I tested water by wearing jeans and a casual shirt.

Found out later it was okay to wear a tee but I don't really wear tees up to now.

I feel more excited wearing a shirt...

Image00109.jpg

I'm always running after you.

You are my ideal.

You are me.

Smart casual means to dress down but please remember to dress smart.

Avoid T-shirts with offensive messages, torn jeans.

A plain white t-shirt can be spiced up by a sport jacket/track jersey (like the one I wore in this avatar).

Be daring with colours on this day to show your personality!

Edited by abang

Smart casual usually refer to collar, anything which is either long sleeve or short sleeve. Jeans or causal pants.

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Spend time counting your blessings,

not airing your complaints.

The term is often misused in sg.. Formal = shirt, pants + tie and blazer.. But most companies dun follow that due to sg weather.. So what we wear daily to work is usually smart casual already = shirt, pants, shoe.. Friday dress down stated as smart casual but usually we practice casual which is collared shirt or polo tee with pants or jeans... If they allow you to wear tee shirt it becomes leisure wear...

Smart = No flipflops/sandals, no singlets, no loud prints/messages. Depending on the company/boss/venue, it may extend to covered legs.

Casual = go-out attire, less-formal, but does not include beachwear. Sports shoes are often accepted.

When in doubt, just ask. Ask your supervisor/boss/colleague(s). Some venues must be stricter.

Use a bit of common sense, ask, and check. Do not be like some idiots I've seen who'd show up at a posh Sunday brunch (yes, smart casual) in slippers, sports singlet and shorts.

Instagram @the_meowprince

Good advice above. Smart casual is a very elastic term- IT industry seems to wear smart casual every day as opposed to Banking/ Finance/ Legal sectors.

Smart polo T shirts with minimal or no logos or long-sleeve shirts (rolled up to elbows) paired with decent jeans or chinos should be ok. I would even allow t-shirts without collars but with a nice light sweater (preferably zip-up or v-neck).

Above all, whether dressing casual or formal- INVEST in smart footwear like cap-toe oxfords, casual loafers, monkstraps etc in black, tan, espresso, chestnut etc. Elegant footwear elevates the overall look and feel of your outfit.

Smart = No flipflops/sandals, no singlets, no loud prints/messages. Depending on the company/boss/venue, it may extend to covered legs.

Casual = go-out attire, less-formal, but does not include beachwear. Sports shoes are often accepted.

When in doubt, just ask. Ask your supervisor/boss/colleague(s). Some venues must be stricter.

Use a bit of common sense, ask, and check. Do not be like some idiots I've seen who'd show up at a posh Sunday brunch (yes, smart casual) in slippers, sports singlet and shorts.

I absolutely agree with MeowPrince- way too much sloppy dressing is on parade. I was in BKK last week having breakfast at the St Regis hotel and there was some HK tourist who wore a sleeveless tank top and bermudas and flip-flops having breakfast. There was also a contingent of PLUs, also from HK, who had, as you would expect, a better sense of smart casual dressing. :thumb:

In another hotel in BKK by the riverside, I witnessed a Caucasian lady having breakfast in her gym leotard and bike shorts- absolutely atrocious and unacceptable conduct, even if this were a beach shack in Bora Bora (which it wasn't) ^_^

I absolutely agree with MeowPrince- way too much sloppy dressing is on parade. I was in BKK last week having breakfast at the St Regis hotel and there was some HK tourist who wore a sleeveless tank top and bermudas and flip-flops having breakfast. There was also a contingent of PLUs, also from HK, who had, as you would expect, a better sense of smart casual dressing.

.... actually the ones I was referring to, they are both ajs, and it was at St Regis Singapore.

Instagram @the_meowprince

.... actually the ones I was referring to, they are both ajs, and it was at St Regis Singapore.

Oh dear, there goes the reputation of the AJ community LOL

Simply can't understand why people are unable or unwilling to dress decently at breakfast- also hotel management should enforce dress codes more thoroughly. Would a Four Seasons HK or Peninsula Tokyo ( not that I've stayed at either) tolerate such sloppy behaviour I wonder?

• Guest locked this topic