Male HQ

Instrumental Music

Guest sg.dude87

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

If you’re in love then there is no short, tall, fat, or thin only i love you and you love me.

If you have love nothing can get in the way. If roses weren’t red and violets weren’t blue i’m pretty sure i would still love you.

tumblr_md3ct6y2aW1ri3bfmo1_500.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

it is not really classical but something like contemporary classic i play... it's "Gone" by Jim Chapel it is a very beautiful piece, touching  :unsure:

Edited by uncannyxmen

Lesson Learned.... Trust your instinct  :thumb:  ...and p.s. never use 'comic sans' as font its damn gross  :blink:

Happy New Year everyone! Let's start 2015 with good music beginning with...

Twice the Tine! Tine Thing Helseth is one of my all time favourite soloist. (She has this beautiful round and mellow tone- to die for!)

1) I had flickering mental images of Korean drama love scenes (somehow set in Autumn with golden leaves) when I heard this piece. A beautiful duet performed by Tine and Yasuto Tanaka! (props to Mr Tanaka too) 

2) Libertango. Makes me wanna grab someone and dance... Or reflect on my sloppy tonguing  :yuk: (no sexual innuendos intended). The latter has always been preferred.  

Despite being a fan, I have yet to learn how to pronounce her name (she's Norwegian). Boohoo  

Two awesome English Horn performances:

1) Antonín Dvořák - Symphony No. 9 in E Minor "From the New World", Op. 95 - II. Largo. A pretty famous piece showcasing the beauty of the English Horn (and a great oboe solo at 4:24)

2) An interesting take on a popular tune. The English Horn just gives the melody line more depth and richness (IMO). 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Random Ruminations: 

[i was seated in a bus (the older SBS bus)  with a bulky rectangular case. A man approached me and asked whether I played the English Horn. I dismally replied "No, I don't. I'm just carrying it around." and awoke from my slumber. An odd dream? More like repressed ambition.]   

I've always regarded the English Horn (E.H) or le Cor Anglais as an attractive instrument because of its rich tonal quality and interesting bulbous bell. I fell in love with the E.H when I first heard it played by an oboe tutor performing the solo in Ross Roy eons ago. Till today, I am still wondering if a relationship with the E.H would have worked out. I still fantasize (probably not an apt word) blowing that double reed. After I fell out with the French Horn two years ago, I think I should move on and try out another instrument. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest wozzit

How about something further back in time - this baroque concerto slow movement with oboe as the solo instrument? Tomaso Albinoni wrote a dozen oboe concertos. This is probably the most lovely n most popular.

Edited by wozzit

Guest wozzit

Re eddyfai's post #232 some may not know that Mahler’s 5th Symphony was not well known until the Adagietto formed the basis of the sound track for the 1971 movie "Death in Venice" directed by the acclaimed filmmaker Luchino Visconti. Here is an extended trailer set to most of the movement.

Adapted from the Thomas Mann novella, the main character Gustav von Aschenbach is based loosely on Mahler himself, tho the character in Mann’s original is a writer not a composer.

The theme of the movie is the quest for the ideal of beauty in art. Aschenbach plays a composer whose latest work is vilified. To relax n find new inspiration, he spends a long vacation on the Lido in Venice. By chance he sees a Polish family at the hotel, one of whom is a beautiful 14-year old boy Tadzio. Soon Aschenbach becomes liberated and his music begins to flow again. But he also becomes totally obsessed with Tadzio n not just as the ideal of beauty. He pursues the boy but they never actually speak, merely pass as ships in the night. His new mortal passion is slowly destroying him. Soon he learns that cholera has come to Venice. He tries to persuade the family they must leave. They do not, but it is Aschenbach who dies in the end.

It is a beautiful film. The homosexual undertones r very obvious but should not detract from the basic theme. The full movie is on you tube. If u look at it, watch for the very long opening shot of the steamer coming out of the darkness before dawn. Stunning!

Guest wozzit

Mahler’s 5th Symphony was not well known until the Adagietto formed the basis of the sound track for the 1971 movie "Death in Venice" directed by the acclaimed filmmaker Luchino Visconti.

Just one extra note on the movie. When it was released the Swedish 15-year old Bjorn Andresen who played Tadzio gained instant worldwide fame. He was often called the most beautiful boy in the world n it was assumed by many he had to b gay. The director Visconti was openly gay as were most of the film crew. Dirk Bogarde (Aschenbach) was also gay, although this did not become public knowledge for many more years.

Andresen ended up hating the movie n wishing he had never taken part. He isnt n never was gay. He hated the way waiters would gawk at him when Visconti took him to gay bars during filming. The part destroyed his film career because every casting director only wanted him to play beautiful boys. Now 60, he  lives with his wife n daughter in Stockholm.

Guest wozzit

I love a lot of slow music. The slow movement of Brahms Violin Concerto has one of the most beautiful melodies ever written. Its first played on the solo oboe. Watch n listen. Note how the oboe plays these massively long phrases without breathing. That's because wind players are taught a technique called circular breathing. With this they can inhale through the nose at the same time as they expel and control air through their mouths.

This is a live recording of the gorgeous Dutch violinist Janine Jensen with the Chamber Orchestra of Europe conducted by Bernard Haitink.

Interesting how many female violinists are now amongst the finest in the world. Jansen, Anne Sophie Mutter, Julia Fischer, Hilary Hahn and Viktoria Mullova would certainly make it into any top ten list.

The slow movement starts at 24’50”.

1) Never knew playing the organ would be so demanding on a person's psychomotor skills. Just look at the man! He was practically 'dancing' (with his fingers and feet) while seated. Amazeballs!

2) Tell me I'm not the only one who feels uncomfortable listening to chords in this Toccata. It gives you this unnerving feeling, which probably explains why it is often used as the 'Vampire/Haunted House' entrance song. Although, it would be pretty cool to listen to a supernatural being playing this piece for you as you enter its domain. I would be thoroughly entertained. 

3) The organ itself looks aesthetically pleasing with its gilded keys and regal exterior. Too bad I can't have one in my HDB flat (let alone purchase an organ). Boohoo (not a ghost pun)

• 2 weeks later...