Male HQ

Ideal Working Environment?

Guest Dream Seeker

Guest Dream Seeker

Does anyone here already achieved the above with conditions like privacy, nice view, friendly colleagues and good boss and most importantly the job you love to do that come with high salary?

So far I have not completely met the above type of working environment. Either the boss was smoking inside, open sitting space with messy table and phone kept ringing with no one willing to pick up. Those workers were mostly bitches with glum faces because their salary was pathetic, no window to look out into the open.

Share your working environment.

I have a window to look out. But it's a wooden back chair I'm sitting on, not ergonomic.... :(

Summore dun have my own PC and workstation yet, had to use my personal laptop....

"You like who you like lah. Who cares if someone likes the other someone because of their race? It's when they hate them. That's the problem."

Orked (acted by Sharifah Amani) in SEPET (2004, directed by Yasmin Ahmad)

At my last corporate job I had an office with a view of Times Square below. Unfortunately it is also east facing with full floor to ceiling glass and it can be pretty warm in there in the mornings even with the shades pulled down.

Our big boss is very much the devil wears Prada type but my immediate boss is wonderful and encouraging. We used to exchange private looks between us when our big boss make unrealistic demands. Still for all that craziness and long hours, the perks are great. Expense accounts, car service, even hotels if we work till very late for those who live outside NYC. For us, leaving at 6pm is considered working half day. Most leave around 8 or 9, sometimes 10.

As for coworkers, our big boss is a very firm believer of positive energy in the group. She keeps the team small and lean and we run like a well oiled engine. You either fit in or you don't. So I think it helps remove the "bitches" away and create a team with a working environment where everyone respects everyone and is there to do their job, and build their career.

While our big boss can be a tad extreme at times in her expectations, I did lean a lot from her management as well as from my immediate boss. Both of them supported me when I decided o start my own business and they've helped open many doors.

At the end of it all, it is not so much the external- nice office, laptops etc. that matters. It is the relationship you build that will help carry you far.

Love. 

While our big boss can be a tad extreme at times in her expectations, I did lean a lot from her management as well as from my immediate boss. Both of them supported me when I decided o start my own business and they've helped open many doors.

At the end of it all, it is not so much the external- nice office, laptops etc. that matters. It is the relationship you build that will help carry you far.

Your pay must be very high then. How long did you work in corporate world before coming out to be your own boss, any difference and pro/cons to share? So you have your own home office? How was it like working in America, any discriminations you faced as Asian?

Your pay must be very high then. How long did you work in corporate world before coming out to be your own boss, any difference and pro/cons to share? So you have your own home office? How was it like working in America, any discriminations you faced as Asian?

I started pretty decent, and while the salary is higher than national average, keep in mind, the costs of living in NYC is a lot higher. I was in the same team for 4 years plus but worked at another company prior for 3.

Becoming your own boss has its challenges. Many things I took for granted before working for someone else, now I've got to manage them on my own. Payroll, taxes, benefits , contract negotiations, etc. Most are manageable. Whatever you can't do yourself, hire someone else to do it. Don't waste your time and energy on things you are not good at. Focus your on your strengths and goals.

I have one of those shared offices with common conference rooms, receptionist type, but I also work out of home on some days.

Working in the US is a great learning experience. You are expected to be professional and do your job. You are hired to fulfill a specific function/role and is expected to perform. Again, I was fortunate to work with one of the best business teams in the industry I was in. I do give credit to my EVP to this day for shaping my management style.

I never faced discrimination as an Asian. It is against the law to discriminate someone on the basis of race. My company was all about diversity given that it was an MNC and I worked in partially on the international division the last 6 months prior to leaving. It was like working in a mini-UN environment.

Love. 

Becoming your own boss has its challenges. Many things I took for granted before working for someone else, now I've got to manage them on my own. Payroll, taxes, benefits , contract negotiations, etc. Most are manageable. Whatever you can't do yourself, hire someone else to do it. Don't waste your time and energy on things you are not good at. Focus your on your strengths and goals.

I have one of those shared offices with common conference rooms, receptionist type, but I also work out of home on some days.

br />

So you are holding green card now? Why not do business in Singapore why in America. That place easy to make money than Singapore? Any intention to hire a Singaporeans there? Luckily you are manly and people respect you, if sissy like me sure cannot survive one.

For the industry I am in, Singapore is not the most conducive, plus the market is too small. We are open to hiring talent from all over if they can demonstrate that they are a good fit with my team. Our current office space is not fancy. My business partner and I work from home on some days just because it gets too loud from our neighbours in a shared office space.

Love. 

For the industry I am in, Singapore is not the most conducive, plus the market is too small. We are open to hiring talent from all over if they can demonstrate that they are a good fit with my team. Our current office space is not fancy. My business partner and I work from home on some days just because it gets too loud from our neighbours in a shared office space.

So you bought a home there or you rented it. Planning to retire there and not coming back? NO gay friends there I would feel lonely, no sex.

So you bought a home there or you rented it. Planning to retire there and not coming back? NO gay friends there I would feel lonely, no sex.

Not sure where I will retire yet, though I do enjoy Miami and Fort Lauderdale a lot. Reminds me of Singapore except with nicer beaches.

You will make new friends wherever you go. If you are keen to work overseas and gain a unique work experience, that should be the least of your worries. Research on the companies/industries you want to go into and check on their hiring policies with non-local workers. MNCs are usually more open to hire foreigners.

Love. 

Not sure where I will retire yet, though I do enjoy Miami and Fort Lauderdale a lot. Reminds me of Singapore except with nicer beaches.

You will make new friends wherever you go. If you are keen to work overseas and gain a unique work experience, that should be the least of your worries. Research on the companies/industries you want to go into and check on their hiring policies with non-local workers. MNCs are usually more open to hire foreigners.

I'm jealous of you. :(

안녕하세요.

Guest Fainted

At some stage in life you will have to face fear, sometime the choice is in your hands,

Anxiety of entering unchartered place - choice of work place, hospital you intend to visit, people you wouldn't want to meet, country you haven't visited, waiting for health result.

Sometime it is inevitable - your first in camp training, going to exam hall, getting warning letters of any kind, knowing you have certain diseases, your lover wanted to leave you, friends ganged up against you.....

How would you handle the above situation?

Guest Fainted

At some stage in life you will have to face fear, sometime the choice is in your hands,

Anxiety of entering unchartered place - choice of work place, hospital you intend to visit, people you wouldn't want to meet, country you haven't visited, waiting for health result.

Sometime it is inevitable - your first in camp training, going to exam hall, getting warning letters of any kind, knowing you have certain diseases, your lover wanted to leave you, friends ganged up against you.....

How would you handle the above situation?

Oops, wrong thread. Started a new thread. Moderator can delete above post.

I'm jealous of you. :(

Nothing to be jealous about. Put in the work and effort, and you will get there. Just stop thinking that having nice office with a window view etc. as a validation and focus on developing and building relationships that will help you in your career.

Love. 

I switched job a year ago and yes, there were lousy times.

But I overcame them by telling myself, at least I am doing something useful to the society.

That is, in itself, a reward.

做个有用的人。。。英雄不问出生地。

Guest Kapo dick

at least I am doing something useful to the society.

That is, in itself, a reward.

做个有用的人。。。英雄不问出生地。

What did you do to our society, tell leh.

A good boss will set the tone for the office. Like I've said before, at my last corporate job, our EVP was a tad overbearing, but given the mandate on our team to perform, we were pushed to excel and deliver results that affect the company's bottom line. Sometimes it is good to even schedule a one to one lunch or just informal chat with your boss, especially if you guys do annual retreats etc. for team building purposes etc.

You need to put yourself on your boss' radar. They are there to help you build your career and help you grow.

Love. 

Guest Dunno

A good boss will set the tone for the office. Like I've said before, at my last corporate job, our EVP was a tad overbearing, but given the mandate on our team to perform, we were pushed to excel and deliver results that affect the company's bottom line. Sometimes it is good to even schedule a one to one lunch or just informal chat with your boss, especially if you guys do annual retreats etc. for team building purposes etc.

You need to put yourself on your boss' radar. They are there to help you build your career and help you grow.

I am not sure the meaning of "good". Probably american are a better boss than local boss in terms of philosophy how they were willing to give and take. Besides, working in company that believe in rewarding you for your performance than just mere bottomline will motivate you to put in extra effort to help achieve objective. Would you do the same if you know you will not be getting performance bonus, monetary reward and just mere word of praise after all the hardwork you put in? I am not seen any local boss making concrete and rewarding gestures to staff who helpe him grow. Most local most are merely rhetorics who held meeting almost everyday just to preach philosophy and sometime the wife will cook up a simple meal to treat the staff in meeting room before and after the boss has done his lecturing. Really cannot digest after/before the talks. Any it is culture thing and also depend whether the company you worked for have deep pocket. If it the company just live by to survive and every small claims you made were questioned like a criminal from boss, will you still be hardworking for the boss?

I am not sure the meaning of "good". Probably american are a better boss than local boss in terms of philosophy how they were willing to give and take. Besides, working in company that believe in rewarding you for your performance than just mere bottomline will motivate you to put in extra effort to help achieve objective. Would you do the same if you know you will not be getting performance bonus, monetary reward and just mere word of praise after all the hardwork you put in? I am not seen any local boss making concrete and rewarding gestures to staff who helpe him grow. Most local most are merely rhetorics who held meeting almost everyday just to preach philosophy and sometime the wife will cook up a simple meal to treat the staff in meeting room before and after the boss has done his lecturing. Really cannot digest after/before the talks. Any it is culture thing and also depend whether the company you worked for have deep pocket. If it the company just live by to survive and every small claims you made were questioned like a criminal from boss, will you still be hardworking for the boss?

I think it comes down to your work ethics. if you wake up in the morning, not excited about going to work, you are in the wrong job. Granted, there will be days when you don't feel like getting up, but if for the most parts, you dread going to work, it may be time to think about doing something you are passionate about.

There will always be office politics. I was in a large conglomerate. There are multiple business groups/divisions, and each with their personal agendas, but we are there to work and focus on the overall objectivity of our business group and deliver the results. Even if I do do not receive a performance bonus or monetary reward, I will still perform the way I did and do because it will reflect on my personality, and in the bigger picture, leave a better impression with my bosses for future references.

We keep meetings to a few because most of the time we were too busy working on what we have to do. Other than our weekly meetings which is kept to one hour, no more, most of the time, we meet informally on the hallway or in each other's office. I find that more effective than sitting down formally with a white board, powerpoint etc. Sometimes, we just start pulling people in along the way to brain storm, or even invite people on the floor from other teams to sit with us and figure out solutions.

As for claims etc. I think it comes down to trust. As long as we do not abuse the system, you will not be treated like a criminal. At some level, it is inevitable that we will take clients out for drinks/dinner etc. A safety guard that the company I was with had in place was there are some restaurants in the area that we have corporate accounts with. All we have to do is to show our company ID, and our budget code, and usually it will be approved. The bill will be sent directly to the business group's budget. Saves us from using our own credit cards etc. But there is also a limit depending on the number of people. Typically, for spending, no more than $100 per person for dinner or $50 for lunch.

At the end of it, bosses have a responsibility in creating an environment that is conducive to work in. Almost everyone who joined my team back then had a 3 month trial. If you survive the 3 months, you will do well and fit into the group, if not, you will be asked to leave by the EVP. As cut throat as it sounds, it demonstrated the importance of building a team that works well together and produce results. I had seen junior VPs come and go. It is not that they are not stupid but they don't fit the dynamics of the team. For a team to be productive, you don't need many people, just a few smart people who can deliver results and take ownership of their responsibilities.

One important thing I've learnt from my boss and applying to my own team now is creating an environment where employees are not afraid to tell me that they've screwed up and made a mistake. Mistakes happen all the time. We work to minimize them, but having that approachability makes a difference, because the person who made the mistake, learns best and grows.

So you want to be working in an environment that challenges you mentally, that will keep you excited to want to make a difference, start with yourself. Be passionate about what you do, because the office environment, the nice window views or not, does not matter at all.

Edited by chelseasian

Love. 

• Guest locked this topic