Male HQ

Are We Singaporeans Setting Our Expectations Too High?

gstc82

That bugger who created the Lai, Harlo thread got me thinking, are Singaporeans expecting too much? I work in the service industry and I noticed that locals expect way too much in the wrong context. Should we base our expections in the price we pay? Should we expect 5 star service when we pay 1 star price? Just this afternoon I saw a local uncle shouting at a cashier at a Cheers outlet accusing her of touching his curry puff which she did not n demands a new puff. That cashier apologies again and again and addressed him Sir many times. Shd we not adjust our expectations base on environment? Are we as a society getting out of hand in expectations?

It is an asian society. So far Japan are the best service provider and no asian country can par it. Closer is Taiwan which I believed inherited some of Japanese culture. China and india are by far the worse in service probably followed by Singapore with these foreigners coming in drove. I am not just implying service provider, but service taker too. In Australia market, even their service standard is excellent regardless they serve first or 3rd class customers. I bought a couple of apples and the seller thanks and joked with me and even wished me well kind of courtesy with 2 more apples thrown in free for me. Will you see such gesture in Singapore? Not until the sun rise from the west.

Local uncle probably venting his frustrations at how he's treated by other 'service providers' he could not scold e.g. CPF board refusing to let him touch retirement funds, HDB's stifling rules, ageism killing his ricebowl and dignity, medical fees sky high and pp in charge refusing to provide safety net, unlike Australia, Japan and even China...

Get bullied so much, he starts to bully others...Sad to admit, it's becoming Singapore's core value, engineered by authorities... Can't even comment on Mediacorp's horrible dramas without them retaliating with AC Nielsen surveys and Promax awards they give to themselves... What to do? Scold Cheers cashier lor.

Guest Qiuqiu

i tot cube3 was addressing your topic. he is not out of topic. you need to stop telling people to STFU jus simply cos they dun agree with your view point. ;)

Good one cantona!

It's just sickening to read gstc's whining and rambling, whether in BW or Trevvy, he really suffers from 公主病 and he's also a hardcore Pappy ball-carrier.

Guest BongQiuQiu

Glad my fans miss me, u remembered me as I did not post anything in sg it for at least a year:)

Fans your ass lah, can't you tell the difference between praise and criticism? Are you stupid or are you stupid?

Guest BongQiuQiu

If u are not my closet fan, why take the trouble to remember me from sg boy which I did not post anything for a year? U want an autograph ?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

People remember you not because they're your fans :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

but because you're INFAMOUS :lol::rolleyes: :twisted:

Guest BongQiuQiu

Ok, got 2 get some work done. Thank u for your enduring love and support:)

Yeah, love and support for you to get fired from your job :twisted:

A few days back, I was 2nd in a queue waiting to make payment at a cashier. Suddenly a lady went directly up to the front of the cashier. Instead of processing my payment and despite me informing the cashier that we are in the queue but not the lady, the cashier processed the payment for the lady first. After that, the cashier keep apologising to me profusely.

What will u do?

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

A few days back, I was 2nd in a queue waiting to make payment at a cashier. Suddenly a lady went directly up to the front of the cashier. Instead of processing my payment and despite me informing the cashier that we are in the queue but not the lady, the cashier processed the payment for the lady first. After that, the cashier keep apologising to me profusely.

What will u do?

Why did that lady cut the queue in the first place? I will show ugly face to her if I were u and stare at the cashier.

Will you be my valentine's? :D

Actually, i'd tell the lady off instead of the cashier. (Not insinuating that you did tell the cashier off).

Anyways on topic, I think yes, Singaporeans are really trying to get more than they pay for. They expect excellent service for something very cheap. But not everyone does that. Just a majority including the "Lai Harlo" guy. They need to understand something called “Yi fen Qian Yi Fen Huo" (You get what you pay for). And not expect the same standard everywhere when the prices are varying in different establishments. But generally, people understand that when you go to a coffeeshop, you get coffeeshop standard. Don't understand why some deranged people expect a restaurant service in a coffeeshop. It's like going to a seamstress and expecting the job of a fashion designer. Well, if the seamstress is that good, he's lucky. Otherwise, shouldn't complain.

Apparently this lady is a Foreign talent from upper caste. She claimed that she is not feeling well and wanted to pay for a bottle of water so she can drink it first.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Exactly as gstc82 said. I was in orchard once and a father was carrying his very sick child and rushing for a cab and there was a long queue. You know the ones at far east. Terrible. Anyways, he actually asked if he could have the next cab and he turned around to see the other people's reaction and then he thanked all of us and got on the next cab. How nice of him.

I feel that people in Singapore get agitated so easily, just a small spark will ignite our inner fire.

That goes to servicing and receiving service as well. Any small mistake that a sales person does will anger the customer, while any small attitude that the customers give pisses off the sales person.

I believe good customers begets good service, and visa versa. They must be mutual.

When I was in Japan, the sales staff are extremely nice and well mannered. They treat each customer with respect and politeness, as thus with the "ma-shi-ta" behind each greeting, e.g. arigato gozaimashita. With that, I was very polite and calm to them back, never angry and never show any attitude.

On a different note, climate actually makes a difference. Singapore is always so hot, and thus everyone is always so grumpy. Japan on the other hand is much cooler, and winter there is just awesome.

E-E-E-Electric Shock!

I feel that people in Singapore get agitated so easily, just a small spark will ignite our inner fire.

That goes to servicing and receiving service as well. Any small mistake that a sales person does will anger the customer, while any small attitude that the customers give pisses off the sales person.

I believe good customers begets good service, and visa versa. They must be mutual.

When I was in Japan, the sales staff are extremely nice and well mannered. They treat each customer with respect and politeness, as thus with the "ma-shi-ta" behind each greeting, e.g. arigato gozaimashita. With that, I was very polite and calm to them back, never angry and never show any attitude.

On a different note, climate actually makes a difference. Singapore is always so hot, and thus everyone is always so grumpy. Japan on the other hand is much cooler, and winter there is just awesome.

It's their culture and motto - "every customer is like god" (I'm serious).

Japan's & service here is like 天与地。

Will you be my valentine's? :D

Guest faynic

I feel that "You get what you pay for" logic don't exists in Singapore. When I went to Louis Vuitton, I was being scanned from bottom to top, but when a caucasian came in, he was being served like a king. This is so different when I went into places like Giordano/Uniqlo where anyone will be greeted once they stepped into or out of the shop. In the end, it's still about the service of individual sales representative, but not about "You get what you pay for" logic.

Talking about good customer services, indeed Japan is the first, and I like Taiwan too. I can say even though we always think Hong Kong is rowdy, but I actually think their services are better than Singapore. Some of the shops, they will actually kneeled beside you while you are sitting down making the payment.

• Guest locked this topic