Male HQ

I Am Having A Situation Now

Guest Headache Now

Guest Headache Now

You see, I have got two jobs offer:

1st offer (start work on 3rd week)

If I don't accept this one I will be broke if I decided to wait for the 2nd offer to start work on 4th week.

However, I find this job offer not so ideal. It is 5.5 days work week, female boss and high volume high stress enviornment. I was told people play politicis in there too and it is a replacement position.

2nd offer (start work on 4th week)

I don't think I will have the money to wait until this offer started. However I find the company small and male boss very friendly.

It is a new position. Both offer me the same price.

Apparently, I may be forced to accept the 3rd offer to avoid being broke. If I can start work early, I will have enough money to spend. If I start late, the salary will be pro-rated very little and this month salary may not be enough for me to last until next month.

What would you guys do if you were in my position.

I love the 2nd offer very much because it is the most ideal job I have been looking for all my life.

Is there a strategy to go about doing it?

Thanks for your advices.

are you local? if with parents, no choice, just just borrow money from parents, return them when you got your salary and then do the second job.

it's just one month. no matter what, choosing an idea job, which is most prob your next few years of life will be so much better.

why are you sacrificing the next few years of good life just to make it through one month.

be thrifty, spend less. maybe borrow a bit from good friends which you can return. dun pay hp bills for the first 2 months first or pay the interest.

eat cheaper food, meet pple only after meals, eat at home.

hope it helps.

Guest Headache Now

are you local? if with parents, no choice, just just borrow money from parents, return them when you got your salary and then do the second job.

it's just one month. no matter what, choosing an idea job, which is most prob your next few years of life will be so much better.

why are you sacrificing the next few years of good life just to make it through one month.

be thrifty, spend less. maybe borrow a bit from good friends which you can return. dun pay hp bills for the first 2 months first or pay the interest.

eat cheaper food, meet pple only after meals, eat at home.

hope it helps.

I have no one to turn to. My sibling are not close to me, I have no friends, also very malu to borrow money. I should have asked the 2nd offer boss to start work early but he said he was overseas and only back to work on 4th week. Very sianzzzzz......

Got to agree with Luke.

Go for the ideal job, the 2nd job offer. There's only a week difference. An additional week on survival mode wont hurt.

Think beyond your current situation, choose whats best for the future ahead. :)

Edited by ShadowRay

You should think about the long term and not the short term. In the meantime, can you try to find a part-time job that pays you after working for the day? Like giving out flyers to sustain yourself before accepting offer #2?

Yo jeez...jeez mama...

Guest Headache Now

I know many people like me will love 2nd offer (5 days week too), I can spare on makan to save money but transport cost is very expensive. If I don't eat enough, my sugar level will be low. Can I last thru September until I get paid?...headache. I hope to strike a humble lottery this weekend to keep me survive in September. *pray*.

Guest Headache Now

I feel like taking up 1st offer, work two weeks than get salary and quit and than ask my 2nd offer boss to wait for me while I serve my notice?

I feel like taking up 1st offer, work two weeks than get salary and quit and than ask my 2nd offer boss to wait for me while I serve my notice?

Well, good luck on that. I didn't know bosses today are really that nice.;)

Yo jeez...jeez mama...

Guest headache now

One last note, my 2nd offer boss said he will let me know when to sign offer when he comes back. Will he play me out? I have no doubt in him but....human being can be quite sway de. I have been "sway" for many years. No monetary luck, no love luck.

Guest Blaidd_drwg

Got anything to sell? Liquidate your assets at Singapore Craigslist. Fastest way of raising cashflow.

Sell something long-term which it's value can be marked up. Don't sell clothes, poor return.

Guest Headache now

Don't want to think about it now. It is fated whatever that comes next week. Sianzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..................................

Two weeks happen to end at Month end.

You do know that some companies, don't pay on the 30th of the month. Some pay directly to the bank. For new employees, since the bank is still in process, they may pay you by checque. You need 1 - 2 days to clear the checque.

Just so that you know. You are thinking too ideal and not everything happens as planned. I think you should think of how get some money by the end of the month and not from the company that offer you a job.

Guest Apalled

i cant believe u dun even have enough savings to tide u over one miserable week??

whatever u choose, u better pull up ur socks and start being prudent over ur financial affair - ASAP

not every company pay salary on the end of month, some may be earlier some may be later. For mine is 27th. And mine coy, if pro-rated they will pay u nx 27th if they cant make it by this 27th. So how are u so sure that the process can be so fast and quick to pay u.

If me i would take 2nd one. Then i will scrap and save, and borrow from frens or siblings, there is no face or got face issue here, it is either u starve to death with face or u survive without face.

Guest Appalled

Stop buying toto/4D when u dun even have enough savings, you will have more money in the long term. I really rolled my eyes when I read ur post.

I think a part time job is the way to go too, mostly in the F&B industry or Events. I don't know how long u've been out of a job, if u do have a stable income over a period of time, u can try to take a short loan from a bank to help u get through this month also. And u need to prepare for worse too, don't pin all ur hopes on the 2nd company and the boss too, I don't know why he must be back in order for u to start work, but u said it's a small company, so I don't want to say too much about it. Just be prepared, make provisions.

Guest stbrianud

If you need help for that week I'm sure anyone here would gladly offer advise and suggestions:) some may even help! It's a pretty obvious choice IMO.

Guest sgjgvan

such an immature thought...buying toto to pass the one month?

and to live till so broke....just explained how poorly you managed yourself.....so sorry to say that...

and you can even have such unethical thought of betraying the trust of ur 1st employer? i disrespect you.

Reputation in the industry is worth much more. Till the day when karma catches up.

Guest sgjgvan

At the end of the day, he just wants someone to echo his thoughts.

Take the 1st one, 1 more week salary will make significant difference. Do it.

guess so --- echoing his thoughts....and maybe this situation did not exist at all....it was merely a prank set up by an unregistered person to test the response of the people here for whatever personal agenda he might have.

Guest Headache Now

If you need help for that week I'm sure anyone here would gladly offer advise and suggestions:) some may even help! It's a pretty obvious choice IMO.

You are very kind, if at least 50% of gay people have this consolation tone. Gay world will be a better place to live. Look at some comments here, they said Iied and have agenda, one even "rolled eyes" at me, this kind of gay attitude are the problems gay people faced today and it has nothing to do with whether a person is rich or broke. I am sure all these years gay people have discussed in this forum about gay attitudes, pretty much sum up in this thread. :rolleyes:

I will opt for 2nd offer since that is ur ideal job.

Heard that it is a small company, which lead to higher flexibility. You may talk to your friendly male boss that you would like to start ASAP since you are facing financial difficulties.

Wish you luck

Guest stbrianud

You are very kind, if at least 50% of gay people have this consolation tone. Gay world will be a better place to live. Look at some comments here, they said Iied and have agenda, one even "rolled eyes" at me, this kind of gay attitude are the problems gay people faced today and it has nothing to do with whether a person is rich or broke. I am sure all these years gay people have discussed in this forum about gay attitudes, pretty much sum up in this thread. :rolleyes:

Hey thanks man... Well I only answer with my honestly opinion:) You're a guy really in need of advise. I'm just trying to help you through it. If you do really need help, just let me know... I may not be rich but I don't mind helping you with whatever I can. Really do hope you get through this fine man...

you have answered the qn yourself. ideal is still better than 1 week of money. i rather beg than work in sth less than ideal. ideal may not pay well; but ideal may help bring out the best in you. so go 2nd choice.

Guest Green bean

The problem with new companies or new position is that these employers felt they could afford to wait or probably hiding behind the time to look around for other applicants while giving you the impression that you are their “short listed”. As long as an offer is not signed by the 2nd job, the risk is too high to wait for the 2nd offer boss to get back to you unless you have the financial means. What if you rejected the first 1st offer and the 2nd one didn’t call you at all. Small companies have its flexibility but may tag with risk. How much capital did they set up? Do an acra search to get to the bottom of its capital and who were the directors behind it. A broke person can put in $2 and start a company and than called himself CEO/chairman or whatever fanciful titles for you to report to him/her.

Look at it this way, I wouldn’t prefer the 1st job offer mentioned above too. I believe there is such thing called probation period. If you don’t like the job after first month of work you can start sourcing around for another job while still having some income. Of course the other employers would have to wait for you to serve your existing notice before you can start work in the next company. Having the company to wait for you is still better than you having to wait for the company – from employee perspective. Ride a cow while looking for a horse so that it won’t be too tiring.

Let me paint a very negative human resources image in Singapore. Most companies have problems looking for candidate because of their sourcing processes and how recruiters carried themselves during the interview is an insult to HR professionalisms here. Woman interviewers usually have emotional element into it as well. Many lack the “know-how” of dealings with very intelligent and experienced interviewees. If you came across interviewers who are both local and younger than you, you can forget about being successful if the other party viewed you with scorn and threat by looking at your expectations to match job responsibilities and experience.

While employers can enjoy the luxury of hiding behind the veil of numerous job applicants, not all applicants fit into their bill and neither will the best want to join or work in a cheap company for long if better opportunities came along. Note that human are make mobile and not static and they will always want the best of the any job. Substantial job applications may not translate to substance unless employers thought they are in the upper hands of candidate choices in the job market.

However, beside all these Nagy issues, employers and HR largely failed to see more serious problems resulted in their companies not being able to get enough applicants after their subsequent advertisements via Job portal or paper advertisements. Applicants who were previously rejected or not short listed will shun from reapplying due to once bitten twice shy mentality from going anywhere near these companies again. At worse, they may never want to deal with these ungrateful firms in their future endeavor. These companies eventually get too desperate and kept advertising no end to meet applicants’ daily quota but their image fell to negative level if their routine vacancy openings kept appearing in the market – on daily to monthly basis.

My advice to Headache now is this….

An ugly bird in hand (1st offer) is better than twice pretty bird (2nd offer) in the bushes. You will have control on the ugly one than the pretty ones.

My 2cts bean.

Politics is everywhere and everyone. There is no perfect job in this place. What you hear might be true but may be you would like it there and survive after few months.

You can't be too careful to choose a job. Even when you think it is the right company to get in, they would probably hire some evil hr (like Dilbert) or the clueless manager to manage you. So, the most important thing is learn to appreciate you have a job and learn to work with people from all walks of life. If you only choose an environment that suits you, not only it won't happen but even if it does, you won't grow in the area of dealing with people.

I am being retrenched and at age of 49, I really don't mind to just have a job. Good luck to you!

Guest Ironrod

maybe he is waiting for ppl to offer him money..

That is what in my mind too :D

To heinz63: "I am being retrenched and at age of 49, I really don't mind to just have a job. Good luck to you!"

Give yourself 3-6 mths to look for a job and most important never give up because u never know when opportunity knocks.

Always be prepared! I have a friend (whom is around your age) went to sign up some course with some hospital and become a male-nurse in the end. Career switch is also an option.

I would even advice you to take up part-time job to keep yourself "relevent" if u have problem after 6 mths. U will be surprise how "part-time" job can become full time if u demostrate your "value" which happened to me not once but twice.

I wonder if the two companies realize if they are about to hire a dumb ass

You are making an inappropriate strong statement. Never judge a person by his wealth or non-wealth. We all face obstacles everyday in our lives and you don't laugh nor, at worse, criticise a person having a situation in need of help. It may not be now, but someday you may have equal situation to deal with, not on job matters but something else that put you at the cross-road of similar dilemma.

Edited by Why?

Guest Headache Now

Sianz.z.....Now the 3rd offer is postponed to be in line with the 4th offer and most likely this month I will be emptied as nobody will be telling me when to start.

Next week I will be facing a situation of 步步惊心 into the unknown.

In the long run, the second offer is probably going to give you better job satisfaction, but you do not have the luxury of taking up offer no.2. Since you are strapped for cash, you should take the offer which would not get you into financial dire straits.

In future, when you are less strapped for cash and you are given multiple offers, then you can have the luxury of choosing the job that gives you better job satisfaction.

Guest Headache Now

In the long run, the second offer is probably going to give you better job satisfaction, but you do not have the luxury of taking up offer no.2. Since you are strapped for cash, you should take the offer which would not get you into financial dire straits.

In future, when you are less strapped for cash and you are given multiple offers, then you can have the luxury of choosing the job that gives you better job satisfaction.

Now I don't care about 1st, 2nd or 3rd offer they can take all their time to wait and ended up with monkey. I will work for anyone next week. No time to consider liao. Whoever employ me will be my savior and they are getting a gem everyone has overlooked.

The problem with new companies or new position is that these employers felt they could afford to wait or probably hiding behind the time to look around for other applicants while giving you the impression that you are their “short listed”. As long as an offer is not signed by the 2nd job, the risk is too high to wait for the 2nd offer boss to get back to you unless you have the financial means. What if you rejected the first 1st offer and the 2nd one didn’t call you at all. Small companies have its flexibility but may tag with risk. How much capital did they set up? Do an acra search to get to the bottom of its capital and who were the directors behind it. A broke person can put in $2 and start a company and than called himself CEO/chairman or whatever fanciful titles for you to report to him/her.

This (and the rest of the post) is true.

I would personally prefer the 2nd offer if I were in your shoes, but you should keep Green bean's opinion in mind too.

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

Guest headache

I called the 2nd boss but he hasn't decided and will let me know on monday.

The 1st offer wanted me to start monday.

Should I postphone the 1st offer, it is not ethical to keep them waiting and yet I am waiting for the 2nd offer whose boss cannot give me a simple "yes" or "No" answer. Why 2nd one so undecisive and the 1st one so shit....arrghhhhhhhhhh!!! I want to die, now the 2nd boss think I am so desperate. I dunno where to hide liao.

I called the 2nd boss but he hasn't decided and will let me know on monday.

The 1st offer wanted me to start monday.

Should I postphone the 1st offer, it is not ethical to keep them waiting and yet I am waiting for the 2nd offer whose boss cannot give me a simple "yes" or "No" answer. Why 2nd one so undecisive and the 1st one so shit....arrghhhhhhhhhh!!! I want to die, now the 2nd boss think I am so desperate. I dunno where to hide liao.

If I'm in your shoes, I would personally ask just for a few more days with the 1st boss before I make my decision.

At the same time, I'll make sure that the 2nd boss give me a definite answer latest on Monday, telling them that I have a decision to make. And if there's still no answer on Monday, I'll definitely take the 1st offer.

You don't want to be hung in the middle, believe me. Last time a postponed offer happened to me, I wasted 1.5 months for nothing (and have to restart my job-hunting from scratch).

Edited by derryfawne

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

Guest Green bean

Money will come when you are happy but wealth can never generate true happiness. The problems with life is about making choices and most of the time we were misled into it.

Guest Headache Now

Sianz.....wasting all my energy brooding over it for two days now. Tmr I am going to do a search on the 2nd offer and see what kind of co. If they are $2/- than no point mourning over its lost.

I will go for the 1st shitty offer and come here again in 3 months time. Anyway it is not a prison, I can come and go if I am not happy. Who is stopping me now?

Catch up with you guys again cum Nov..

• Guest locked this topic