Male HQ

Leaving Sg For Work

Guest Guest

Just wondering, if I go work in overseas for 20 years on work pass, do I have to come back to serve ICT and ippt? Assume I work till 40 years old and return to sg. Are there any legal documents or stuff I should be aware of?

I assume you are not a key position holder so your liability ends when you are 40 years old. But no, you won't be recalled back to serve ICT and IPPT when you are overseas. But for long trips like this, you will need to apply for Exit Permits online. If you return for an extended period of time, you will have inform Mindef via the online portal as well, and you may be called up for duty during those times.

But do take note of one thing: your value in Singapore drops if you spend the majority of your time overseas and has no Singapore working experience. You will have trouble finding jobs at 40 years old then.

But do take note of one thing: your value in Singapore drops if you spend the majority of your time overseas and has no Singapore working experience. You will have trouble finding jobs at 40 years old then.

I disagree abt value drop part.

It really depends on his field of work.

For me, in fact my world experience have made me a more valuable employee as the world is flat now.

So not true! International experiences make the employees much more valuable. I used to run the KL office for a multinational and the first thing I looked for when employing an experienced staff was his international track record. Usually, that employee would be paid closer to his international pay which might be a lot more than local pay.

You just need to remember to renew your exit permit every year or maybe every 3 4 years. And you have to make sure you have your legal supporting documents like work permit if they(computer system randomly chose) to ask you for your documents.

As long your trip back to sg is less than 30 days, they won't recall you for ICT or IPPT.

And i think yourr value will not drop.

I disagree abt value drop part.

It really depends on his field of work.

For me, in fact my world experience have made me a more valuable employee as the world is flat now.

So not true! International experiences make the employees much more valuable. I used to run the KL office for a multinational and the first thing I looked for when employing an experienced staff was his international track record. Usually, that employee would be paid closer to his international pay which might be a lot more than local pay.

To both respondents above, I appreciate your differing views on that matter. However, I am speaking from personal experience and I really encountered major difficulties looking for PMET jobs when I returned from overseas, and I have NOT even hit 40 years old yet. I was jobless for close to one year and my overseas exposure covers 3 countries for a minimum of a year for each place. In fact, one of my interviewers even went as far as to use my overseas experience to bargain down my requested salary, claiming that the overseas exposure is irrelevant. So let's just say that even though there is an element of truth in what you had mentioned, there is always this risk that your value will drop, and it will be used against you.

If you apply for an exit permit like this, will the government not approve?

In general, it will be approved. Sometimes, the only reason why I think they have this Exit Permit requirement is just for the sake of finding out who Mindef can call upon in Singapore, and also to find out where the rest of people are in times of emergency.

• Guest locked this topic