Male HQ

Cook 西洋菜汤

jason

You can easily get your watercrest veg at any supermarket or wet market, maybe a bunch for about 80cents to a dollar will do. Normally it comes with the roots being cut off. If not, then pull all the roots out.

Wash clean as some kampong veg may have some little snails on it.Tear away those yellow leaves. Soak the veg for a while.

Depending on your preference for additional chinese herbs like gou zi, 罗汉果,dried mussels or oysters, abalones, etc. just dump your preference together with the room temperature water and start to boil.

The trick to ensure your soup without bitterness is, make sure your water is fully boiled, then put in the veg, then the pork ribs or lean meat (around $3 to $5) and/or chicken bones.

If you like clear soup and slightly greener veg, then small slow fire for about 20 mins.

However, Hong Kong people likes thick soup which small slow fire for about 1 to 2 hours.

Add some salt and soy sauce to your taste. Just dish out those items that you want to eat into the bowl(s) and leave the bones behind to throw when cooled.

I see you have sore throat, well you can make the soup to cool down the body heatiness. Taking Ricola sweets (especially blackcurrant flavour) can really help ease the inflammation of the throat.

Edited by rockexcel

Water crest are all the same, no difference in cooking and taste. The best way to learn cooking is to try your own results and improve through experience. Talk to chefs or cooks when you have a chance to chat with them, I usually praise them first and then ask them how they cook that dish. Sometimes, they give some good tips and pointers.

• 3 weeks later...

Just sharing with u guys

I cook watercress in two version.

One is the traditional method with pork rib, honey date and north/south almond seed. cook for hours.

The other one i would cook as follow:

separate the leaves from the stalks, cook the stalk for hours with the pork bones. remove stalks, squeezed out all the soup if u must.

when ready to serve, add in minced pork when is already seasoned and with tapioca starch, prawn, bean curd and bring to boil. Add in watercress leaves and off the fire immediately. In this way, u get all the vitamins in the watercress.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.