Male HQ

Wish List To End Singaporean"s Suffering

Guest ILoveSG

However, many wrote in to Prime Minister LHL and Ministry of Manpower BG Tan Chuan-Jin, and their reply was, they cannot interfere because SIA is privatised.

SIA may be privatised but who is the biggest shareholder?

Therefore the moral duty of fair employment is placed on that shareholder since it appoints the board of directors, who more probably than not hold the same blinded opinion as the major shareholder.

There are many more examples of this, private companies owned by Temasek.

SingTel, StarHub, M1, Singapore Power, SBS Transit / ComfortDelgro, SMRT, insert all your healthcare groups here, NTUC, DBS, and the hundreds of subsidiaries owned by these companies, and the thousands of other companies owned by the hundreds of Temasek's other holding companies.

The sole motive of these companies is to generate profit for the shareholders (i.e. Temasek, the government). If it is at the expense of the people, then we just have to learn how to live with it. Unfortunately, this is the way the system works here. The only other country in the world with such a system is China.

Maybe that's why our government feels so "connected" to their citizens.

I also wish all Singaporean SAF / public services family get to own 1 car no need to pay COE.

All ERPs island wide should also be removed as it is not effective to control traffic flow. Instead, road tax should go up gradually.

do we know that it's cheaper for foreigners to take SQ flying into Singapore

and more expensive to take SQ flying out?

even award redemption for flights those surcharges, etc are more for SQ flights out of SG than those coming in (!)

do a search on SQ website, compare.

Simple logic. If you book a car from Jurong to Airport, this is cheaper for two way, Jurong to Airport and Airport to Jurong because of fuel consumption and driver's time. Of course, you will pay higher price for one way, Jurong to Airport because the driver does not earn for the return trip. To save some money, the driver will give discount to anyone for Airport to Jurong. Hope that you could understand.

Simple logic. If you book a car from Jurong to Airport, this is cheaper for two way, Jurong to Airport and Airport to Jurong because of fuel consumption and driver's time. Of course, you will pay higher price for one way, Jurong to Airport because the driver does not earn for the return trip. To save some money, the driver will give discount to anyone for Airport to Jurong. Hope that you could understand.

hmm i think it's also cause of the amount SIA has to pay for the "parking" at other airports. it's possible that that's the reason why it's cheaper to fly into sg than it is to fly out...and yes, that's why not all airlines fly to every single country, because they have to pay for fees for those routes...

do we know that it's cheaper for foreigners to take SQ flying into Singapore

and more expensive to take SQ flying out?

even award redemption for flights those surcharges, etc are more for SQ flights out of SG than those coming in (!)

do a search on SQ website, compare.

Actually this is not always true.

A return flight Singapore - Brisbane - Singapore costs S$1,197.

A return flight Brisbane - Singapore - Brisbane costs S$1,210 (A$937).

Airlines also have special offers from time to time to target specific segments and markets.

For example, SQ has a special offer now for SIN-SYD-SIN at S$728. Of course this comes with strict days of travel, availability, minimum/maximum stay period, daytime flights only, restrictions etc...

SQ also has a special offer for SYD-SIN-SYD but the fare is much higher at S$1,200 (A$929).

And our public transport system, did you not read how many Singaporeans complaint abt it everyday? Situation is so so bad that our transport system is the joke of the world and many thinks its one of the worst transport system in the world! Even Thailand"s transport system is so much better than ours! I am so ashamed abt out mrt! Not mention our sad sad sad state of busses that even china workers went on strike! Don't you know the world is laughing at us!

have you ever taken bts during rush hours?

Many delays everyday na krub

开源节流 。。I am not rich but certainly I live within my means.

It is just a week shy of the Lunar New Year and I've just returned from a dinner appointment at Chinatown, Singapore.

The crowd is there but yes, the business isnt that brisk. I did not buy anything because I dont need them. I can well afford them but I simply recycle the older stuff I bought in the previous years. 何必浪费呢!

知足长乐。。Be satisfied with what I have. My wants/wishes are plenty but my needs are few.

Eating out

If eating out is expensive, learn to have home-cooked food daily.

Setting a weekly budget of $100 for 7-day breakfast and dinner is possible. (Lunch is usually consumed at hawker centres/food courts). Uncooked rice is sold at about $10 per 5kg bag and it should last 2 weeks for a family of 4. Frozen chicken and fish should set you back by $20 altogether. Vegetables are sold at 70 cents per bundle at most supermarkets. Fruits and other essential items should not cost more than $30.

The trick is to maximise them, eg. use your cooker to boil a pot of soup. A piece of chicken bone should be around $1. Throw in nutritious vegetables like radish, carrots, onions and potatoes. This is wholesome and yummy. What to do with excess soup, add half a cup of unboiled rice and you can have healthy porridge for breakfast the following day. Alternate your vegetables - winter melon, old cucumber.. the list goes on.

Transporting woes

You can also beat the morning rush hour by leaving your home earlier. I believe discounts are given for early-birds on board the trains. Mechanical faults are inevitable. Of course, it is just rampant and more frequent here. At least, we dont have to bear the inconveniences of organised strikes (the china bus driver saga is exceptional)!..

Curios-note:

I just wonder how old is TS?

I ask because some of your proposals can be taken as 童言无忌。

World peace to all...

With regards to transportation, Singapore still has it a way lot better than what we have here in NYC. Between people being pushed or jumping off tracks lately, the subway system has been brought to a standstill several times. When it snowed, the trains running to the suburbs were stalled. When Hurricane Sandy hit last October, the tunnels were flooded, and service via the PATH train from Manhattan to New Jersey was not restored till late December.

Subway tracks are littered with garbage. Rats the size of cats can be seen scuttling on the tracks every so often. When I first came to NYC, train tickets were $1.25 per trip. Now it is $2.50. (NYC subway runs a flat rate of without regards to the number of stops you go.)

Rising costs of living is expected as it is tied to global economy. Fuel costs have increased, leading to higher transportation costs, leading to higher costs in everything you consume.

What is considered by ILOVESG to me is nothing more than first world problems led by an unrealistic sense of entitlement. If you are truly unhappy with the things you have posted, instead of whining, take action. Form a petition, get people involved. Speak to your MPs, rally support via social media. Whining here is not going to get you very far.

Love. 

Guest IloveSG

With regards to transportation, Singapore still has it a way lot better than what we have here in NYC. Between people being pushed or jumping off tracks lately, the subway system has been brought to a standstill several times. When it snowed, the trains running to the suburbs were stalled. When Hurricane Sandy hit last October, the tunnels were flooded, and service via the PATH train from Manhattan to New Jersey was not restored till late December.

Subway tracks are littered with garbage. Rats the size of cats can be seen scuttling on the tracks every so often. When I first came to NYC, train tickets were $1.25 per trip. Now it is $2.50. (NYC subway runs a flat rate of without regards to the number of stops you go.)

Rising costs of living is expected as it is tied to global economy. Fuel costs have increased, leading to higher transportation costs, leading to higher costs in everything you consume.

What is considered by ILOVESG to me is nothing more than first world problems led by an unrealistic sense of entitlement. If you are truly unhappy with the things you have posted, instead of whining, take action. Form a petition, get people involved. Speak to your MPs, rally support via social media. Whining here is not going to get you very far.

shut up you foreigner! Why are you here talking crap about me a Singaporean! You angmo you Tua kee? You have no idea how much we are suffering! Our living standards are no different as slumps in shanty towns! Our public transportation is already a joke on world stage n one of the worst in the world .

$2.50 US is like $3.00 Sing....or three times what Singapore's MRT cost. We should be lucky it's so cheap in Singapore.

shut up you foreigner! Why are you here talking crap about me a Singaporean! You angmo you Tua kee? You have no idea how much we are suffering! Our living standards are no different as slumps in shanty towns! Our public transportation is already a joke on world stage n one of the worst in the world .

not everyone who's making sense is a foreigner. not all singaporeans are unhappy. no one's laughing at our infrastructure. if anything, they are laughing at us. if you think YOU are suffering, do something about your life. there's so much you can achieve even without any change in government policies. and if your living standard is no different from slums, you won't be on the internet......do you even know how people in slums live?

Guest 蒲眉蓬

I support you! :thumb:

ILoveSg MUST be a troll...come on, seriously dude? Shanty town? Have you seen a shanty town?

If you're not a troll, have you ever visited anything outside of Singapore? If so, where? What are you comparing to?

http://www.bloomberg...ck-for-lee.html

Singapore’s inflation rate of 4.3 percent in December is among the highest in the developed world.

A widening wealth gap has contributed to angst among voters. Income inequality in Singapore has risen since 2000. The average monthly wage for the poorest 10 percent of households increased by S$250 to S$1,581 in the decade to 2011, compared with a S$10,400 jump to S$27,867 for the top 10 percent.

Singapore’s Gini coefficient, an income inequality measure, rose to 0.482 in 2011 from 0.48 the year before, and has climbed from 0.444 in 2000, according to the statistics department. A reading of zero means income equality, while a reading of one means complete inequality.

I take MRT every day to and from work. It is quite nice. Dependable and clean. Nicer than some of the taxis.

And, btw, you sound a little 'off'

Just how many other world-mrt systems have you been on?

You ask me how many other world-MRT I have been on? My answer is that I have lost count. Those that i had taken range from the West to the East, and even those all the way Down Under. In terms of dependency and cleanliness, ours easily rank as one of the worst in the world. Even the China subway may fair better! So how many subways have YOU taken?

i guess every country transport have breakdown. just that we dont know about it right ??? HDB prices are ok i guess i have a 4 room flat i am happy with it. 30 k for a HDB i think i can buy many of it ............. building it i think it cost more then 30k hahahahahaha.if u are ao unhappy then go other place to stays.

30k to buy a HDB?????? Are you sure you are even local? LOL!

A good govt ensures that its citizens has a decent job,decent housing and a decent quality of life without worrying about his next meal.

An evil govt enriches itself and increases taxes,costs of living and financial budens on its citizens and causes severe anxieties ,stresses and worries to its citizens resulting in a poor quality of life.

First world problem indeed! First world country with one of the highest cost of living, but a salary scale nowhere compatible.

OMG seriously, Fuck you understand. There's one thing for sure that proves you're a TRUE blood singaporean. You complain too much, and all you've been shouting is about how WE seem to be suffering. Please don't say i'm "pro-PAP" or a foreigner. I'm 100% FUCKING Singaporean, and i don't support ANY specific party. As you said, we're all unsatisfied with the rising food cost, transport cost, living expenditure and fucked up transport system. But get this right, be realistic. Yes, the govt is fucking rich but do you really want them to support you for so long? You're straining govt budget, dampening us the opportunity to use those bloody hell money to do something regarding your problems, and as a result, we revert back to your "3rd-world country" You like that don't you?

Want this free, want that free, have you actually think about where those funds come from in the first place?

Yes, SG system is f.up sometimes, but seriously, you really want to compare to other countries who has WORSE transport, bloody expensive housing that you can't afford even a single room flat, high cost of food? I don't think so.

So stop acting like a kid and complaining so much. You think we're happy about the fuck ups in SG? No we're not. We learn to be satisfied with what we bloody hell have already. So grow up..

If you're so unsatisfied, simple. MIGRATE out of Singapore. I'm sure other countries will welcome you and i'm sure SG won't lose out by letting go of a kid that doesn't think before speaking.

So just be  free , just be yourself. Nobody can be  the way you are.

Not ready for another relationship. Just live life and be happy.

OMG seriously, Fuck you understand. There's one thing for sure that proves you're a TRUE blood singaporean. You complain too much, and all you've been shouting is about how WE seem to be suffering. Please don't say i'm "pro-PAP" or a foreigner. I'm 100% FUCKING Singaporean, and i don't support ANY specific party. As you said, we're all unsatisfied with the rising food cost, transport cost, living expenditure and fucked up transport system. But get this right, be realistic. Yes, the govt is fucking rich but do you really want them to support you for so long? You're straining govt budget, dampening us the opportunity to use those bloody hell money to do something regarding your problems, and as a result, we revert back to your "3rd-world country" You like that don't you?

Want this free, want that free, have you actually think about where those funds come from in the first place?

Yes, SG system is f.up sometimes, but seriously, you really want to compare to other countries who has WORSE transport, bloody expensive housing that you can't afford even a single room flat, high cost of food? I don't think so.

So stop acting like a kid and complaining so much. You think we're happy about the fuck ups in SG? No we're not. We learn to be satisfied with what we bloody hell have already. So grow up..

If you're so unsatisfied, simple. MIGRATE out of Singapore. I'm sure other countries will welcome you and i'm sure SG won't lose out by letting go of a kid that doesn't think before speaking.

what a good doggy you are. You wag your tail to your master and drool at the goodies they feed you? Did pappy pay you a lot and when did they gave you your Singapore pink IC? Did they gave you an orientation of singapore? You want me to bring you around?

Guest Ex-HunterSq

You think we're happy about the fuck ups in SG? No we're not. We learn to be satisfied with what we bloody hell have already. So grow up.. If you're so unsatisfied, simple. MIGRATE out of Singapore. I'm sure other countries will welcome you and i'm sure SG won't lose out by letting go of a kid that doesn't think before speaking.

The way you wrote obviously is pro-PAP support.

Bloody gorng-kiia! Naviely, trying to convince us.

Why not I come into your house as stranger, you don't like me, then you should move out of your house.

Many sinkees find it unbearable to live under the PAP even for another day.But what to do ? They have been disappointed and frustrated time and time again,5 years and 5 years again to see the corrupt PAP voted to power again ? How many more 5 years do we have in life they asked ? We are farked up due to the 60% very ungrateful, coward and selfish masochistic bastards who loved to be farked by the sadistic PAP.

What do do ? Heaven got no eyes or Heaven also gave up on us sinkees ?

Yes,we want regime change ,we want reform but the Opposition only have 7 MPs (8%) out of 87 MPs (100%) in parliament although the Opposition national votes is 40% of the total national valid votes cast.This is disproportionate Opposition Representation (8%) of the Opposition voices of the people (40%) in parliament.

The increase in Opposition MPs is very small and slow,the progress is very painful and slow,but we hope there will a steady and significant increase in Opposition MPs in 2016.

What do do ? Sinkees got no balls to go to the streets to protests like the HK people,so only option is to go to the ballot box to defeat the PAP despite all the gerrymandering and bribery acts by the PAP.

We can only pray everyday for Heaven's blessing .Please Heaven have mercy on us weak sinkees.

Reform takes alot of time,patience ,tolerance and sacrifice .....even Sun Yat Sen was only succesful in his 11th attempt in overthrowing the corrupt Imperial QING Govt !

Guest Ex-HunterSq

ILoveSg MUST be a troll...come on, seriously dude? Shanty town? Have you seen a shanty town?

If you're not a troll, have you ever visited anything outside of Singapore? If so, where? What are you comparing to?

I support ILoveSg. How can you said him as a troll.

The way you wrote obviously is pro-PAP support.

Bloody gorng-kiia! Naviely, trying to convince us.

Why not I come into your house as stranger, you don't like me, then you should move out of your house.

Excuse me, if you don't know me personally, don't accuse me of being pro-PAP -.-

You have no fucking idea how annoyed i can get with the fucking system so don't speak as though you know me well.

And seriously, you're using the point about not being happy and moving out? Seriously, don't lower your own intellect, it's too embarrassing to even watch..

So just be  free , just be yourself. Nobody can be  the way you are.

Not ready for another relationship. Just live life and be happy.

Yes, SG system is f.up sometimes, but seriously, you really want to compare to other countries who has WORSE transport, bloody expensive housing that you can't afford even a single room flat, high cost of food?

With such childish comparison, one day, the only country we will be ahead of, will be North Korea.

With such childish comparison, one day, the only country we will be ahead of, will be North Korea.

I dare say our current standard of living is no different than the North Koreans. North Koreans should be better than sg as they have space.

Trolls are trolls but they deny it. They love to insult those who disagree with them or who try to discuss from a different perspective. Their automatic defensive tactic is to brand others "Traitors", "Pro-PAP dog", "Foreigner", "Stupid", "Blind" and exaggerate problems, labelling them as "sufferings", "slums", "MRT a world stage joke", "Sg no worse than North Korea", etc. Lying without batting an eyelid!

Well put.

I'm going to stop taking part in this exchange until the person actually registers a name. Too hard to tell who I'm talking to when they're not registered.

Trolls are trolls but they deny it. They love to insult those who disagree with them or who try to discuss from a different perspective.

Well put.

I'm going to stop taking part in this exchange until the person actually registers a name. Too hard to tell who I'm talking to when they're not registered.

And you two indeed realise that you would be classified as trolls too, right?

It's quite obvious Nightingale is a PAP supporter despite his denials to the contrary. Otherwise he would not be taking the position he has taken, which unreasonably and unjustifiably allocates to Singaporeans much more blame than they should be shouldering.

And it's annoying how these registered trolls like showqueen troll the thread with their anti-Singapore comments while pretending to beSingaporean. The cheek of these trolls.

If we can't change Singapore, we can leave Singapore. I am trying to work hard now...and hope to retire somewhere cheaper and less stressfu with my bf.

Guest Nightingale

Obvious that I am PAP supporter? Singaporeans should shoulder more of the blame? Sure, you can hurl all these accusations at me if you like. Readers have eyes to see. Just that most do not want to rebut you and get insulted by your name calling. If you would log onto www.straitstimes.com on weekdays and Saturdays. Click onto FORUM. You can see equally heated debates over many issues. But none of the name calling, malicious labeling and character assassination that you find here. If you regard me a troll, then it is the pot calling the kettle black. :D

Guest FairPlay

Blame it on our bad luck to be born in this tiny dot of an island without any natural resources. Blame it on our forefathers who uprooted themselves from lands of great expanse to seek new life, toiling themselves day and night to make Singapore she is today. Blame everything except our overblown expectation of prosperity. Nothing in the world is free. There are trade offs. People talk about immense suffering Singaporeans is facing. Really?

so much trolling loz... agree singapore transportation has lots to improve on... i feel we can learn from countries like HK... somehow it seems a lot more efficient... I do think there is quite a bit of inefficiencies in our bus routes, that the bus operators shld take some time to plan and optimizing routes.

On many other issues raised by ILoveSG, i think it highlights the general populations concern, but the solutions are simply not economically self-substaining.... most of us are not pro-pap, but i believe we have yet to achieve opposition that may do much better than pap, some of the existing policies and benefits you will have to give credit to the govt.

Honestly, if you look from other pple's shoes and perspectives, you might change your views...

1) raising costs / inflation is largely the end result of the global economy and everyone printing money, it's your cash that is depreciating in value everyday. The game is played by US, EU, China and Japan... if you want to preserve your own standard of living, it wld be more prudent to look at how to improve your pay or investments.

2) HDBs are raising in costs, but i believe the most irksome thing is pple like us have few choices to go purchase a bto or hdb directly now... i wld rather push for removal of more restrictions like the 35 age cap...

To protect against further inflation, i'm already planning my own private property purchase than to wait it out...

3) with regards to foreigners, hey some of them are escaping unemployment in their own countries or seeking a better life... cut them some slack too. they also have to pay taxes, our cost of living and the high rents... focus more on ensuring your own employment, or start your own business, or even drive a taxi... i do really think it pays well... or even saf...

All in all, why whine and wait for the govt to take actions... some of these issues are afflicting the whole world... pple are graduating elsewhere and are jobless or working at macdonald's... if you dun wan to be like these folks who have a poor time ahead of them, take it upon yourself to improve your conditions...

This thread is a joke right? It has to be right? The wish list proposed by IloveSG is hilarious. What he wants is to not work and get government to pay for his every expenditure, except that the government can't do that because... No one is paying taxes to the government. Hahhaha the myopia involved. Ironically, I think what IloveSG wants is... a communist state.

Of course, I'm expecting people to flame me now, and calling me the worst insult of all..."PAP supporter"!!!! (Oh. The horrors. The deafening level of insult. ohhhh.)

Trolls are a woot. Really. Hahaha

I'm quite happy at the huge no. of posts that are rational

1-limit foreigners working in singapore to 100 000, including foreign maids, professionals, waiters, cooks. This will greatly reduce the number of people in sg.

Ans: Foreign maids, professionals, waiters and cooks are here to assist us, to make life better for us. Food tastes better (and more variety), better service, maids to assist us in our household chores so that we can spend more productively with our family and our work. So are you willing to be a maid and any other job?

2- limit Tourist arrivals to 2million a year. Imagine last year we had 11 million! No wonder sg felt so cramp, mrt so crowded. To solve the problem of less crowded transport system n dependency on foreign workers, we must limit the number of people entering singapore. Before I get critisize, all those money earned goes to companies, not distributed to us.

Ans: Tourism is the best industry in the world, not only does tourist spend money here and contribute to the economy without a need to create jobs for them, they also buy into our exchange rate strengthening our dollar (and in some sense allowing the govt to have more budget surplus by selling back currencies)

3-set a min salary pay scale by law. Entry level pay scale, >O levels $2000, O levels f $2.5k, A level f $3k, diploma f $3.5 k, degree f $4 k. Part timers min hourly rate from $10 per hr.

Ans: Many pple have pointed out, yes your pay will rise, but the cost of all the items in singapore will rise too.. so end of the day its the same, similarly to california where there is a new "rich poor"

It will also hit them hardest. Research has shown that in America, after minimum wage, the hardest his was the lower educated. Noone can afford to employ those without education or experience (aka the youths) anymore.

And what are the incentive to work hard or to get higher education?

4-Singaporeans must be hired first, if a Singaporeans wants the job held by a foreigner, that ft must be ask to leave n make way for us citizens.

Yes, Singaporeans are hired first, you need to hire 5 Singaporeans before u can even consider to hire one foreigner.

5- we contribute NO cpf, instead have a policy where employers pay 50% of our salary to our fund.

Effecitvely, your employers will pay 150%. Then they will simply reduce your pay to pay for your CPF. And if they cannot afford to hire you they will sack you, and if they cannot sustain they will close down and pple will lose their job.

6- no gst

GST is one of the best tax in the world, cause the rich spend more and its based on consumption. It doesnt penalize pple that save or invest unlike income tax. That is why so many govt tried to implement this and only singapore implemented it successfully. And like many said.. without tax, how is the govt going to provide healthcare and others?

7-no tax for those earning less than $50k a year, limit personal tax to 5%. No property tax or bother cleverly hidden tax

No property tax then it will only benefit the rich

8- retirement age set at 55. Pension to be given at 3/4 of average salary for life

Money don't grow on trees

9- medical cost limit to $1000 incl cancer treatment etc max, best treatment must be given for citizens, healthcare must be most impt as we worked hard for the country. Free at polyclinics and pvt hospitals must be charging same rate. Private go to bill govt for our treatment n we pay a nominal fee of $5 incl of meds.

Polyclinics already charge dirt cheap. That day I went and gotten medicine, it wasnt even $10. Money grow on trees in ur world, otherwise doctors must be working at $1 an hour.

10- hdb to be sold at flat rate 3 rm at 20k, 4 rm at 30k, 5 rm at 40k. Resale flats be priced 5% higher. Housing is not a profit but for living. Limit pvt housing to 1000 units a year, price cap at $200k. No speculation allowed.

If limit pvt housing to 1000 units a year. then the housing prices will go up traditionally

Why the govt allow prices to appreciate? Because of inflation. You spend 20k this year on your HDB, in 20 yrs time everything has gone up, a bowl of noodles from 5 cents is not $3, but ur house is still 20k. Your 20k spent then is equivalent to 400k now, and you have lost all that money.

11- banks must pay min interest of 5% a year for deposits.

Banks don't owe you a living

12- public transport must be cap at $0.50 per ride.

Already SBS and SMRT is making a loss

13- food cost be controlled, by law, hawkers must charge no more than $2 per bowl of food. Shopping centers gd court $3 and so on. Fine dining bill must be capped.

Maybe u should open a restaurant. Every year 2000 restarurants open but 3000 close down

14- child are leave of 9months paid for moms n dads after birth of child, after birth 2 months addition per year till child turns 12.

Wow, then noone need to work

15- free child care up to 12 hrs a day

Wow.. u pay?

16- free education till sec sch, uni must be made for all who wants to study. Price be cap at $1000 per year.

Now already free, with only misc. Everyone also want to study.. $1000 a year how to pay lecturer? You know how much the buildings and land cost? maybe have lecture in ur housE?

so basically the TS is living in LALA land.. where everything is free and money many many..

Please travel around the world and see for yourself. Please go to travel fairs and see how many pple are travelling a year.. its insane. I signed up a cheap $1000 package and it almost got cancelled due to lack of participants, but the $10k travel packages got oversubscribed.. Singaporeans poor and slave? Don't even look at africa, In china they have starting pay of USD200, in Thailand 350, in vietnam students earn USD77 and full time is about USD150-200. Noone is complaining except Singaporeans.. no wonder they call us the most snobbish country in the world

so much trolling loz... agree singapore transportation has lots to improve on... i feel we can learn from countries like HK... somehow it seems a lot more efficient... I do think there is quite a bit of inefficiencies in our bus routes, that the bus operators shld take some time to plan and optimizing routes.

On many other issues raised by ILoveSG, i think it highlights the general populations concern, but the solutions are simply not economically self-substaining.... most of us are not pro-pap, but i believe we have yet to achieve opposition that may do much better than pap, some of the existing policies and benefits you will have to give credit to the govt.

Honestly, if you look from other pple's shoes and perspectives, you might change your views...

1) raising costs / inflation is largely the end result of the global economy and everyone printing money, it's your cash that is depreciating in value everyday. The game is played by US, EU, China and Japan... if you want to preserve your own standard of living, it wld be more prudent to look at how to improve your pay or investments.

2) HDBs are raising in costs, but i believe the most irksome thing is pple like us have few choices to go purchase a bto or hdb directly now... i wld rather push for removal of more restrictions like the 35 age cap...

To protect against further inflation, i'm already planning my own private property purchase than to wait it out...

3) with regards to foreigners, hey some of them are escaping unemployment in their own countries or seeking a better life... cut them some slack too. they also have to pay taxes, our cost of living and the high rents... focus more on ensuring your own employment, or start your own business, or even drive a taxi... i do really think it pays well... or even saf...

All in all, why whine and wait for the govt to take actions... some of these issues are afflicting the whole world... pple are graduating elsewhere and are jobless or working at macdonald's... if you dun wan to be like these folks who have a poor time ahead of them, take it upon yourself to improve your conditions...

That is happening the USA, go watch some documentaries. PHDs are working in 7-11 and grocery stores because they cant find a job. They took on a huge study loan thinking they can find a better job..but they cant.

Hong kong as "efficient and cheap" travel because the govt really heavily subsidize the MTR. The land around the MTR station are given to the and if costs increase, more land is cut up and given to them. That is why Li Ka shing earns 60cents out of a dollar in hongkong. In Singapore, it is inverse, that more HDB(public land) is around MRT stations, its really difficult to find a condo around MRT (save around town). Do we want land to be owned by the private tycoons? And indefinitely... meaning every new contract, more land is carved up and given to Li Ka Shing to "Run the trains". Before the breakdowns happen, we have never said that we are lousier than the MTR.. infact the MTR do have quitea few breakdowns.

Guest Ilovesg

For a start, the govt must make it law that the value of hdb for new and existing ones be cut by at least half. There must be interest free loan for all hdb flats. If a couple don't have money to buy one, the govt must provide upfront cash for it at no interest. Since singapore is owned by Singaporeans, the mrt land is owned by Singaporeans, smrt n sbs must pay us a lump some every year to use these land as long as we r true blue Singaporeans. All profit earned by temasek or GIC must also be distributed equally among all true blue Singaporeans.

Guest Picollo

As you all know, we singaporeans are suffering to the point of breaking down. Situation now has became so bad and our living standards, way of life is now no different to slaves. There is no difference living in singapore compared to those places in Africa. Judging from various comments from other readers here, am I not right. There are solutions to make us better, these are my plans for singapore and I hope you guys give your productive comments.

Other suggestions n up for serious discussion.

Good to see someone who wants to engage in serious discussion.

As much as we should encourage serious discussion, we also need people who have brains and be able to see issues (national issues) beyond their personal interests.

In Spore, probably life has been comfortable, many people are not able to see things strategically, but keeping wanting more for themselves without putting in much hardwork. If one has time to grill into the specificis of what ILoveSg's proposed, you will know his wishes will go nowhere. He is just simply giving a wishlist without thinking of how to achieve them in reality. Sadly, we have many people like that in Spore.

If one really loves Spore, one must understand the vulnerability, constraints, and limitations of the country, before applying our areas of strengths to counter these weaknesses. Just claiming to love the country but is actually stupid is not helping.

Guest IloveSG

There is so much negativity in this thread. Many rich Singaporeans in this site are still blinded by their wealth. Their eyes, ears and mouth are stuffed with dollar bills. So many are clouded by wealth and materialistic goods that they turn a blind eye to the suffering faced by 99.9999% of is. We are in a situation that is no different that Malawi or Somalia. It's just reported our inflation rate is one of the highest in the world our transport system, roads, mrt, busses are one of the worst in the world. Our public housing is the most expansive in the world and has one of the Worst living conditions imaginable. Our education system is in a state of emergency and the worst in the world. These are the complaints we hear everyday in the net. Ain't that true? SDP , NSP, RP has high lighted the dire conditions over and over again. Yet so many of you guys chose to turn a blind eye. Anyway, lets keep the debate going.

There is so much negativity in this thread. Many rich Singaporeans in this site are still blinded by their wealth. Their eyes, ears and mouth are stuffed with dollar bills. So many are clouded by wealth and materialistic goods that they turn a blind eye to the suffering faced by 99.9999% of is. We are in a situation that is no different that Malawi or Somalia. It's just reported our inflation rate is one of the highest in the world our transport system, roads, mrt, busses are one of the worst in the world. Our public housing is the most expansive in the world and has one of the Worst living conditions imaginable. Our education system is in a state of emergency and the worst in the world. These are the complaints we hear everyday in the net. Ain't that true? SDP , NSP, RP has high lighted the dire conditions over and over again. Yet so many of you guys chose to turn a blind eye. Anyway, lets keep the debate going.

use google. find out how the people in malawi and somalia (good job naming these places!) live..

if you think everyone's blinded by wealth, i think you're blinded by hate. we aren't turning a blind eye, we are offering a different point of view because that's what a forum/debate is about. topics are open to a myriad of opinions. respect is a two-way issue.

anyway, saying that public transport services should pay the people isn't the way to go. you'll see even more overcrowding on buses and mrts because it's free now.. that's not exactly solving the problem of overcrowding on public transport isn't it? and let's face it, vote in all the opposition parties you want, they wouldn't do a radically different/better job because I'm sure they, to some extent, agree with PAP's actions.

Guest 蒲眉蓬

I'll support you.

No need to convince them. These people are over stubborn.

• Guest locked this topic