Male HQ

Any Places With Good Japanese Food.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m sure many of you have eaten hot pot from a Chinese restaurant but how many of you had ever tried Japanese hot pot? With the recent opening of DANRO by Ministry of Food (MOF) about two months back at NEX shopping mall, you won’t have to travel to the land of the rising Sun to have a taste of speciality hot pots from different regions in Japan. It claims to be the 1st Japanese Hot Pot buffet restaurant in Singapore so I thought it would be very interesting to check out last night with 9 of my best friends.

When the hot pot was served, the first thing that caught my eyes was the Kiritanpo Rice Skewers which comes together with each hot pot. Cooked rice is pounded until it is mashed and formed into chunk around the skewers then toasted on the outside till it is golden brown. This is a traditional dish commonly eaten in the Akita Prefecture.

Similar to many of the other hot pot restaurants out there, you can choose up to 2 soup broth for each hot pot specially created by Head Chef Sonoda-san. With 8 nabemono broths from across Japan to choose from, you will be spoiled for choices as each have their own style of soup base. However, the more popular ones are from:-

• Nara (奈良) – Chicken and Milk Broth
  • Toyko (東京) – Tonkotsu Broth
  • Shikoku (四国) – Chicken Spicy Broth
  • Fukuoka (福岡) – Chicken Paitan
  • Akita (秋田) – Wafu Broth

The other broth choices include Hokkaido, Koyoto and Osaka.

I had the Tokyo broth which was prepared by boiling pork bones for many hours with a traditional Kyushu secret recipe. I found it very rich and overpowering in flavour after a while after the broth evaporated after some time and I prefer the Akita Wafu Broth made using miso which was lighter in flavour.

Unfortunately, only the Wafu broth can be refilled while the rest will only be refilled with normal chicken soup as a cost-cutting measure.

There were a number of variety of dishes to choose from and they are quite similar to some of the hot pot restaurants out there which has some Japanese influence in it. The selection include seafood, meat, vegetables, appetizers, sushi and desserts. The few Japanese items like salmon and hamachi kama, crab surimi, Japanese fish cake and shoyu marinated pork ribs and diced chicken failed to impress me.

Perhaps the main draw was the sliced shabu shabu pork and beef which are all hand sliced by the chef every day. They are displayed in small quantities to retain its freshness.

As DANRO is a family-family hot pot dining restaurant, there are food items which are ready cooked on the buffet line while waiting for your food to cook in the hot pot. Such as this Japanese style “Yong Tau Foo” simmered in shoyu soup base, it will be a hit among children with the bear-shaped Japanese fish cake.

The Japanese believe in enhancing the flavour of the food with dips so there are a huge range of selection of condiments and sauces like ponzu sauce, shoyu, goma sauce, spicy togarashi and beaten fresh eggs for you to mix around. However, do look out for the signage on the wall which teaches you how to mix the Japanese sauces properly to compliment your soup and fried food items.

My overall dining experience at DANRO was pleasant with the comfortable ambiance, value for money and the decent selection of food.

I applaud Head Chef Sonoda-san for bringing in this heart-warming Japanese hot pot culture by introducing their underrated signature hand-made Kiritanpo and keeping the flavours true to Japan.

Prices of DANRO buffet:

Weekday Lunch: [Adults - $16.90++] [Children (12 and below) - $9.90++] [ Seniors (60 and above) - $13.90++] [ Students (excluding tertiary) - $14.90++] [Members - $14.90++]

Weekday Dinner: [Adults - $22.90++] [Children (12 and below) - $9.90++] [ Seniors (60 and above) - $18.90++] [ Students (excluding tertiary) - $18.90++] [Members - $20.90++]

Weekend Lunch: [Adults - $20.90++] [Children (12 and below) - $9.90++] [ Seniors (60 and above) - $18.90++] [ Students (excluding tertiary) - $18.90++] [Members - $18.90++]

Weekend Dinner: [Adults - $24.90++] [Children (12 and below) - $9.90++] [ Seniors (60 and above) - $20.90++] [ Students (excluding tertiary) - $22.90++] [Members - $22.90++]

Address:

• DANRO Japanese Hot Pot Buffet by MOF
  • Serangoon NEX #02-04/06 (Serangoon MRT)
  • Singapore 556083

Operating Hours:

• Mon-Thurs, Sun & PH: Lunch: 11:30am-3.30pm, Dinner: 5.30pm-10pm
  • Fri-Sat & Eve PH: Lunch 11:30am-3.30pm, Dinner: 5.30pm-1o.30pm

Contact No.: 6634 4608

Edited by Ethan_Oleh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another of my favourite japanese restaurants to share. :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:

Ito-Kacho, at Mandarin Gallery, is a Japanese yakiniku chain’s first overseas outlet serving black wagyu cuts including flank steak (from $50) and short rib (from $50).

In the same building, new sushi joint Hashida (#02-37 Mandarin Gallery, 333A Orchard Rd.) opens on May 1 and will serve lunch sets (from $80) and dinner courses (from $300).

And at TripleOne Somerset, there’s Daruma Ramen (which is sort of Japanese by way of Hong Kong). The place was founded by proprietor Charlie Chan in Hong Kong’s Tai Hang neighbourhood and serves Kyushu-style ramen (from $13) in three flavors: shoyu, spicy and tonkotsu.

Edited by Ethan_Oleh

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm...interesting, this concept is like the Ramen Stadium in Fukuoka, at Canal City...!

for ramen, there's the ramen champion area at bugis iluma. 

people vote for the best ramen there and only the winners get's to keep selling their ramen. 

they replace the stalls regularly. 

it's really an interesting concept..

and i just found their website: 

http://www.ramenchampion.com.sg/aboutus.html

• 4 weeks later...

Another of my favourite japanese restaurants to share. :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:

I was with a group of my best friends and we decided to walk in to the mandarin gallery, didn't expect we all end up in this Japanese restaurant at #02-37, Hashida Sushi. Its my 2nd visit, impression and the food was very good. Lunch menus here start from $80 and go up to $250. Dinner is priced from $300.

The food is pretty yummy, the chef pretty-faced.

Please visit the website for more detail info:

www.hashida.com.sg

Edited by Ethan_Oleh

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Usually patronize Itacho for reasonably priced sushi with decent quality..

For Ramen, theres quite a few good ones: Bugis+ Ramen Champion, Santouka @ Central or Cuppage, Ramen Bar Suzuki @ CBD

For ala carte buffet, Ikoi @ Miramar hotel or Shin Minori @ UE square serves decent ala carte buffet with sashimi at around $40ish

• 4 months later...

Koh Grill & Sushi Bar @ Wisma (http://www.ladyironchef.com/2010/12/koh-grill-sushi-bar-best-japanese-food-singapore/)

Ikoi Japanese Restaurant @ Mirama Hotel (http://foodesteem.blogspot.sg/2013/05/ikoi-japanese-restaurant.html)

Menya Musashi @ Raffles City (http://www.ladyironchef.com/2013/09/menya-musashi-ramen-singapore/)

Gyoza no Ohsho @ Cuppage Plaza (http://sential.com.sg/ohsho.htm)

Ikkousha Hakata Ramen @ Tanjong Pagar Plaza (http://danielfooddiary.com/2014/02/22/ikkousha/)

Keisuke Tonkotsu King Ramen (Four Seasons) @ Bugis (http://danielfooddiary.com/2013/05/13/keisuke-fourseasons/)

Tried Kotobuki in Taman Jurong (Superbowl) beside Sheng Siong...The setup of the place is totally Japanese... The food is not bad and a lot of Japanese guys dine in there...

Is it still good?

We used to cater from there back to our company when there are important guests...but not anymore now.

Guest Guest

Itamae Sushi , 板長壽伺,HK Owner , was very hard working as chef in a Japanese Restaurant in HK that the Japanese sent him to Japan restaurant to work for a few years before he came back to open successfully a few restaurant around Asia and Japan , fresh food and staff work quietly like in Japan .....

• 2 years later...
On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2014 at 10:18 PM, Guest Guest said:

Itamae Sushi , 板長壽伺,HK Owner , was very hard working as chef in a Japanese Restaurant in HK that the Japanese sent him to Japan restaurant to work for a few years before he came back to open successfully a few restaurant around Asia and Japan , fresh food and staff work quietly like in Japan .....

wow! interesting to know

14 minutes ago, lookseelooksee said:

The best sushi is to be found at  Ishinomaki Grill & Sake Bar at the basement of Palais Renaissance, Orchard Road. Fresh and beautifully made. Not expensive at all considering the quality. Ever since I discovered this place, I refuse to eat sushi anywhere else in Singapore, it is that good.

Ex leh Palais

15 minutes ago, lookseelooksee said:

The best sushi is to be found at  Ishinomaki Grill & Sake Bar at the basement of Palais Renaissance, Orchard Road. Fresh and beautifully made. Not expensive at all considering the quality. Ever since I discovered this place, I refuse to eat sushi anywhere else in Singapore, it is that good.

glad that you contribute to a good and old thread!

9 minutes ago, lookseelooksee said:

I don't know your budget and definition of ex but here's the menu: http://ishinomaki.com.sg/food-menu/

ok, is there something on your penis pic?

I  m ok

but those lower than mid income may not b able to afford it

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.