Male HQ

Singapore Going To Build Terminal 5 Over Next 10 Years

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/singapore-s-5th-airport-terminal-to-be-r/666412.html

Singapore's 5th airport terminal to be ready in next decade

SINGAPORE: Singapore's fifth airport terminal will be ready in the next decade, said Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew on Tuesday at a dinner recognising Changi Airport's airline partners.

Details on the facility are expected at the end of this year.

Mr Lui said more information on the air hub's long-term masterplan will also be revealed then.

He urged Changi Airport to respond to "fundamental shifts" in the global aviation landscape to cement its status as a leading air hub.

Future plans for Singapore's airport are steadily taking flight, with a Changi 2036 Steering Committee masterminding the air hub's development.

Key to continued success is the ability to turnaround arrivals and departures quickly.

Having more flights but just two runways has not handicapped Changi Airport's ability to perform.

In 2012, aircraft movements increased by nearly eight per cent.

Delays in departing flights were 40 per cent lower as of March this year compared to the previous year.

Plans are underway to convert Changi's third runway from military use to one which can be utilised by the airport.

This is expected to boost the air hub's turnaround capabilities at existing terminals.

Addition of a fifth terminal, or T5, will also bring the airport's passenger handling capacity beyond the annual 85 million expected with four terminals.

Senior vice president of market development for Changi Airport, Lim Ching Kiat, said: "When T5 is up, it will also be a three-runway system.

"So both, in terms of our runway capacity, as well as our terminal capacity... will be enhanced. But (as for) specific details, we're still studying various options."

Mr Lui said: "For Singapore aviation to continue to grow and thrive, all stakeholders must also work together and plan ahead together.

"To benefit from our air hub's potential, infrastructure planning and development is key. The strong growth in recent years makes it imperative for us to enhance Changi Airport's capacity."

The next development is to boost capacity at Terminal 4, slated to be completed in 2017.

It will be equipped to handle the needs of low-cost carriers and short-haul flights of full-service airlines.

More global nomads on the way.

You all know what to do in 2016...

Talk is pointless at this point.

so now you are against tourist visiting singapore? Shd you stay in North Korea? They do strictly control all tourist there.

Guest Raiden Alpha

Everyone know tourism is just a side dish.

The main course is to bring in even more global nomads and gypsies to screw you all up.

Guest Guest

living in this generation, everything just sprung up one by one in singapore super fast. like the foreigner on cna who said he just left for 5 years and everything just change completely. no more old world charm of singapore already. ;)

Guest Raiden Alpha

Globalisation,this word should only be confer to the realm of infotech and knowledge exchange.

To use it in human labour context is nothing more than modern slavery repackage in a more fancy and update image.Besides, it tend to corrupt/erode cultures,values and identity too.

Globalisation is nothing more than a modern scam in today times. Once again the world of Sheeps get play out by the wise secret order just like how it has been since way back.

Choose your faith and beliefs in life carefully, often the truth lies within oneself,don't seek it from others especially those zealots who are ever so ready to serve it to you on a sliver plate.

Do not lend your ears to treacherous soul and ungrateful sell-outs.

living in this generation, everything just sprung up one by one in singapore super fast. like the foreigner on cna who said he just left for 5 years and everything just change completely. no more old world charm of singapore already. ;)

yea completely agree. but I guess for a small nation like ours, we can't afford to remain status quo.. 

hence to remain competitive by constantly reinventing what we can offer.. 

tumblr_m6i5n25CGw1rotbq4o1_500.gif

Singaporeans have two choices.

One is to keep planning/moving ahead and keep re-inventing to keep ahead of the game. Population will have to increase to keep the level of support for the increase in the ageing population. That means more crowds, less open space, etc. but the general population will still be relatively well off.

On the other hand, you can stop changing and remain stagnant. However, without any natural resources, the economy will slump, population will stablise or even decrease and there will be a continuous drop in income. You get less crowd, more open space but decreasing ability to maintain your life style.

Take your pick, what is the future you want.

Having a new airport terminal is an opportunity to create jobs and revenue. Hopefully there will be more attractions for the tourists to visit.

Singaporeans have two choices.

One is to keep planning/moving ahead and keep re-inventing to keep ahead of the game. Population will have to increase to keep the level of support for the increase in the ageing population. That means more crowds, less open space, etc. but the general population will still be relatively well off.

On the other hand, you can stop changing and remain stagnant. However, without any natural resources, the economy will slump, population will stablise or even decrease and there will be a continuous drop in income. You get less crowd, more open space but decreasing ability to maintain your life style.

Take your pick, what is the future you want.

Increase in population is a temporary solution.

I'm just thinking mathematically that the new targeted population will age in time. Then to support the new aging population, we will need more people...the cycle keeps repeating until something's gotta give. It's almost like multi-level marketing.

I don't have any solution except that I'd better take care of my own finance and stay as healthy as possible.

After all, tomorrow is another day. ~ S O'Hara

Guest Chatsworth

Whether Spore can make it in the foreseeable future, there are 2 major issues which must be resolved.

1st, the issue with foreigners. In essence, if Spore cannot embrace smarter and younger foreigners, the old Spore will slowly wither.

2nd issue is with catching with productivity. Sporeans need to work faster and smarter in an already rat race society.

Frankly, I do not have a good feeling about the resilience of Sporeans, and hence the future of Spore.

We are lucky if we can maintain the current lifestyle and affluence.

Guest Guest

Whether Spore can make it in the foreseeable future, there are 2 major issues which must be resolved.

1st, the issue with foreigners. In essence, if Spore cannot embrace smarter and younger foreigners, the old Spore will slowly wither.

2nd issue is with catching with productivity. Sporeans need to work faster and smarter in an already rat race society.

Frankly, I do not have a good feeling about the resilience of Sporeans, and hence the future of Spore.

We are lucky if we can maintain the current lifestyle and affluence.

dunno abt productivity or resilience or i can be rather sure the characters of future singaporeans will be much worse. more selfish, more self centred, more i dun care, more kiasu, more kiasee, more this and that etc etc. its just the nature of how the country work and how its citizens fight to survive and win.

Guest Guest

dunno abt productivity or resilience *but i can be rather sure the characters of future singaporeans will be much worse. more selfish, more self centred, more i dun care, more kiasu, more kiasee, more this and that etc etc. its just the nature of how the country work and how its citizens fight to survive and win.

Guest Guest

dunno abt productivity or resilience or i can be rather sure the characters of future singaporeans will be much worse. more selfish, more self centred, more i dun care, more kiasu, more kiasee, more this and that etc etc. its just the nature of how the country work and how its citizens fight to survive and win.

Survive and win? Did you say win?

Can Sporeans win with  the mentioned attitude?

Was driving passenger to the airport and they are all so impressed with the roads and buildings here.

An Australian couple commented that their government always got plans like us, long term plans to build roads and airport but all never materialised.

At the present moment, Singapore should be one of the few countries in the world where u can actually see their long term projection visualized but with talks like 2016 coming up, haha, chances not 100% now.

Guest Guest

The port also expanding but no one talk about that -_-.

Cos ppl think airport more 'glamourous'. Sporeans only focus on things more 'glamourous'. -_-

Guest Guest

I heard T5 is going to be a mega terminal, size of about 1000+ hectares.

Current 3 terminals are only less than 50 hectares each.

Where is the land to build T5?

Please nowadays a country would not survive if it doesn't open up and "globalize". Especially a country with limited natural resources.

Tourism is a huge way for a government to get a steady inflow of fresh cash.

It creates jobs. If Singapore (I'm not targeting Singapore. I'm not saying only Singapore faces this issue but that's the country we are talking about here) stopped growing and improving its infrastructures and stopped trying to lure more tourists, what would happen?

All these nice hotels would close down. Same for some food and beverage and entertainment outlets. If suddenly tourism in Singapore declined, what would happen to all these huge malls? You really think local business would be enough to sustain all this?

However, each government should develop these plans with care. You don't just wanna increase the inflow of tourists but not care about other things like transport. Singapore is a tiny island and having more tourists would turn trafic into hell if this means increasing taxis, buses. Don't even talk about mtr during rush hours.

Changi's passenger traffic increased significantly and it should be seen as a good thing. Lets just hope everything else behind supports this growth to make it controllable and liveable for the local population.

Guest Raiden Alpha

A rat race all the way to the grave.

A lifetime of debt before one is born.

By conforming with the system one is denying himself the possibilities from exploring life myriad offerings.

I don't know maybe you all prefer it this way I suppose. I live outside the system where I made sure the rules cannot touch me.

Guest Guest

By conforming with the system one is denying himself the possibilities from exploring life myriad offerings.

I don't know maybe you all prefer it this way I suppose. I live outside the system where I made sure the rules cannot touch me.

What do you mean? You don't stay in Spore? Or you have already 'arrived' by being born with a silver spoon?

Guest Raiden Alpha

What do you mean? You don't stay in Spore? Or you have already 'arrived' by being born with a silver spoon?

My first paragraph mean that if we follow the road already laid out for the nation then this is most likely the fate most will face.

My second paragraph mean there are actually ways to stay in Sg but bypass largely the rules and shackles that constrain us.though one need to think outside of the box and be a few steps ahead of the planners..

This forum is not a place to discuss politico/social issues.i shall leave it at that.

God bless this land and its people .

:-) most Singaporeans have been trained to conform and thinking outside the box is going against the flow.

With events happening in the recent past, a voice inside me keeps telling me to 'get out get out!'. I know I need to be ahead of the curve but gosh it's tough.

After all, tomorrow is another day. ~ S O'Hara

:-) most Singaporeans have been trained to conform and thinking outside the box is going against the flow.

With events happening in the recent past, a voice inside me keeps telling me to 'get out get out!'. I know I need to be ahead of the curve but gosh it's tough.

Fact of the matter is, Singaporeans are 'trained' to learn so many things but do not learn the essence; for instance, Singaporeans have learned from the political leaders to not speak unless one has all the facts, and one must think through what one is about to say (Else u get sued). That is not wrong, but Singaporeans have gotten too carried away, such that many has lost the ability to express, to have small talks, and hence making making the country so cold and the people so unlikeable. No matter many wants to leave!

Opening an entire terminal WILL create new jobs. At all levels. Entry level. Managers, operation, etc....

Which airlines are skipping Singapore? I only see new airlines flying to Singapore. First on the list is Swiss International Air Lines. They resumed their direct flights from Zurich yesterday. After more than 10 years away.

Yep, it is tough. 

And an absolute necessity - to break out of that rigid mindset. 

Jia you!

Some airlines are already skipping Singapore. why need so many Terminals ?  why don't use the same money to create more jobs for Singaporean, like night markets, mahjong center, etc  Not sure what they are thinking !!!

Oh boy.  Please get your facts right.  See quoted below.

Opening an entire terminal WILL create new jobs. At all levels. Entry level. Managers, operation, etc....

Which airlines are skipping Singapore? I only see new airlines flying to Singapore. First on the list is Swiss International Air Lines. They resumed their direct flights from Zurich yesterday. After more than 10 years away.

Qantas is not leaving, just bypassing and using somewhere else as a hub.  Jetstar (Qantas' LCC) is expanding.  Airasia wants to hub out of here, Swiss just returned.

In EVERY sensible country, opening/expanding an airport creates jobs at all levels.  So it makes simple economic sense.

Whether there is room to do so, and how the existing infrastructure will have to change to accomodate it, that is the challenge for the planners.  Each iteration of a new terminal to Changi has had a multiplier effect since the very first.  There hasn't been any proof otherwise.  And don't even start on any FT fairytale, because most of the jobs at the airport goes back to locals, esp the upper-end ones - ATC, security, managers, etc.

Instagram @the_meowprince

• Guest locked this topic