Male HQ

Dealing With Religious Proselytising From Close Ones

Guest Guest

I become firm and stern in such situations - even when speaking to a senior.

I explain properly why I do not wish to listen to their preaching or lengthy discussions. My usual answer is "I do not have interest in this topic".

They usually reply "it is an issue of great import regardless of your interest."

My standard reply is "you don't decide what is important for me".

And then I try to switch the topic to cocks and anal beads.

Guest Guest

I'm sorry to say but in Singapore it's only one major religion doing all this proselytising nonsense. I already have another religion and they know it but still won't stop. They expect me to convert? It's so annoying.

Yes, it's pretty tiresome, especially if they still insist after you have politely declined their offer to save you. Switch to a different topic. If that doesn't work, find a way to see less of them.

That said, some religious people are capable of reasoning and sometimes philosophical discussions with them can be rewarding.

I always tell my religious relatives that I am full of non sense please bear with me...so I will poke n try to stir up the awakening in them that possibly GOD was manmade :D

I cant wait to talk to people who wishes to evangelise. I may devangelise them in the process.

In the past, when people preached to me, I'd get pissed.

When I started work, my ex-colleague invited me to her cell-group knowing I'd be the devil's advocate.

Whenever I had questions, they would be alert, especially the leader who's from the church and had studied at Bible College. They probably saw me as one of God's tests.

At the end of it, I wasn't convinced still and we parted ways.

Nowadays, I quite enjoy talking to people who'd want to preach to me to see if their responses have changed.

Edited by glowingember

After all, tomorrow is another day. ~ S O'Hara

Last night, while walking my dog, I happened to chat with a very young Mormon elder from USA.

He tried to proselyte me but I politely told him I am very comfortable with my own and nevertheless I believe all religions stems from the same source and want us to be kind to one another.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

A few years ago, I went to pay my respects to my Poly friend's father who had recently passed on. 

She volunteered how she managed to convert her father into Christianity on his deathbed and the way she said it is still fresh in my mind. You should have seen her: the way she said it seems as if she managed to cure him of his illness. She was absolutely proud of her accomplishment, having managed to convinced him to abandoned his life long faith in Taoism. By brainwashing him that he would attain eternal life, the old man relented and was baptised just prior to his death. I looked at her and she reminded me so much of the lies spewed to me when I was a High School student at a Christian school. 

That left a bitter taste in my mouth and I never spoke to the "C U Next Tuesday" again. 

Guest Guest

A few years ago, I went to pay my respects to my Poly friend's father who had recently passed on. 

She volunteered how she managed to convert her father into Christianity on his deathbed and the way she said it is still fresh in my mind. You should have seen her: the way she said it seems as if she managed to cure him of his illness. She was absolutely proud of her accomplishment, having managed to convinced him to abandoned his life long faith in Taoism. By brainwashing him that he would attain eternal life, the old man relented and was baptised just prior to his death. I looked at her and she reminded me so much of the lies spewed to me when I was a High School student at a Christian school. 

That left a bitter taste in my mouth and I never spoke to the "C U Next Tuesday" again. 

You'll be interested in this previous BW thread - "Petition to make deathbed conversions a punishable criminal offence"

http://www.blowingwind.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=24379

Guest Guest

Do you see Buddhists or Taoists trying to force people to go to their temples?

Do you hear the Muslims or Hindus saying you'll be damned if you don't believe in their gods?

It's so disgusting to hear of people being preached to against their will, especially if they're in a weaker or more vulnerable position.

A girl in school said that I would burn in the Fires of Hell for all eternity.  Assuming that the furnace would be 5500 degrees, I would not last for more than a second and that hardly sounds like eternity.

Jesus people be cra, cra...

Guest Wolfie

That said, some religious people are capable of reasoning and sometimes philosophical discussions with them can be rewarding.

I beg to differ.

If religious people are capable of reasoning they wouldn't believe in a man made god and the little black book written 2000yrs ago by dark ages people living in caves.

Guest Wolfie

A girl in school said that I would burn in the Fires of Hell for all eternity. Assuming that the furnace would be 5500 degrees, I would not last for more than a second and that hardly sounds like eternity.

Jesus people be cra, cra...

You are so right, many of these people have such poor knowledge of scientific facts they still believe the universe is less than 10,000yrs old.

before i became a christian here's what i did:

on the street: smile, say no, and walk away.  dont ever stop

knocking on my door: once i know they're christians, say not keen and close and door/window gently. oh, smile too, before closing.

colleague/relatives: say im already a believer in some other religion other than the religion they're preeching then change topic.  if persist, just say i gotta go.  be firm but not offending.  always wear a smile.

to to fellow Christians:  personally, i feel the best form of preeching is just to live a life reflecting jesus.  when others can see fruits of the spirit in you, hopefully, they will auto come (no pun) to you.  be a living gospel yourself! 

"No one can come to Me, unless the Father who sent Me draw him: and I will raise him up on the last day.'' (John 6:44)."

amen

Edited by trxsuspension

• Guest locked this topic