Male HQ

National Anthem

tic-toc

i went to watch a movie in JB last week. Before screening, they played the Malaysian's national anthem and required the audience to stand. The family before me remained seated. "we are not from Malaysia." they said.

If you were in their position, will you remain seated or rise on your feet?

Edited by tic-toc

If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.

i went to watch a movie in JB last week. before screening, they played the Malaysian's national anthem and required the audience to stand. The family before me remained seated. "we are not from Malaysia." they said.

If you were in their position, will you rise on your feet too?

That was very rude of the of the non-Malaysian family. It is a practice in Thailand, too. Yes, I would stand up and respect. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

善待对人。麻烦用英文来表达信息。不是每个人都会看的懂中文 “People need to learn the art of making an argument. Often there is no

right or wrong. It's just your opinion vs someone else's opinion. How you deliver that opinion could make the difference between opening a mind,

changing an opinion or shutting the door. Sometimes folk just don't know when they've "argued" enough. Learn when to shut up."

― J'son M. Lee 

i went to watch a movie in JB last week. before screening, they played the Malaysian's national anthem and required the audience to stand. The family before me remained seated. "we are not from Malaysia." they said.

If you were in their position, will you rise on your feet too?

Just my personal opinion

You got the right not to stand up, but if just a little effort like "when in Rome, do what the Roman does", why must bring some unwanted attention to yourself and make yourself so outstanding. As if there is a prize for patroticism for the moment.

Anyway, how u feel if your Malaysian friends do that when in SG?

One should follow the culture of another person's land.

The same with saying graces before meals if you are having it at a Christian home. Or using the correct hand to eat at a muslim/indian house when not given utensils.

Fattie bom bom walk down the street

I am so glad to read the above responses because after that day, I asked around and got responses like "No need to stand. We are not Malaysians."  For a moment, I thought everyone in Singapore thinks that way. 

If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.

It's only polite to stand. Some countries when they sing national anthem hands will be placed on their heart, there is no need for non citizens to do that. Just respectfully stand will do.

It is similar like going to a place of worship which is not ours. We respect them. The keyword here is Respect. I have had many opportunities to be in temples and churches. Even attended a GLBT Christmas eve mass in LA, attended the princess funeral prayer in BKK, accompanied a Buddhist friend for a special prayer in a Buddhist temple and several others. Everyone knew I am not a Christian or Buddhist but they respected me as much as I respected them and the ceremonies. I got pissed by a white guy who put his legs on a seat when everyone stood up during the Thai national anthem played before a movie started. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

善待对人。麻烦用英文来表达信息。不是每个人都会看的懂中文 “People need to learn the art of making an argument. Often there is no

right or wrong. It's just your opinion vs someone else's opinion. How you deliver that opinion could make the difference between opening a mind,

changing an opinion or shutting the door. Sometimes folk just don't know when they've "argued" enough. Learn when to shut up."

― J'son M. Lee 

It is similar like going to a place of worship which is not ours. We respect them. The keyword here is Respect. I have had many opportunities to be in temples and churches. Even attended a GLBT Christmas eve mass in LA, attended the princess funeral prayer in BKK, accompanied a Buddhist friend for a special prayer in a Buddhist temple and several others. Everyone knew I am not a Christian or Buddhist but they respected me as much as I respected them and the ceremonies. I got pissed by a white guy who put his legs on a seat when everyone stood up during the Thai national anthem played before a movie started.

totally agree! That white guy is a jerk.

They only recently implemented this on the 31 aug. And now iy is still on. It was noy like this before. (Went almost every weekend).

Well. A basic courtesy. It is a must to stand still for all anthem be it whether you are local or not, but however non-locals do not need to follow whatever they do. Eg. Placing fists on chest, sing anthem...

Hard truth is if there is anyone in their country not standing up for their anthem they will complain but did they ever choose to compare it heart tot heart?

That white guy deserved to be called whenever u want to call him but worst if people would link you to be a Singaporean and then draw to conclusion that ALL Singaporeans are like that - snobbish and ill manner and no respect for other people.

• Guest locked this topic