Male HQ

A Trip To Nepal

Guest artemov

Guest artemov

I may be going Nepal in December (yes its going to be cold!), wondering if anyone else is interested. I can organize for a small group if necessary.

Nepal is an ancient Hindu kingdom steeped in tradition, culture and mysticism. The Hinduism here is syncretised with a strong Buddhist influence, resulting in a unique blend of beliefs that is tolerant and peace-loving. With the Maoist insurgency coming to an end, things will be returning to normal again.

While she is more famous for Chomolungma (Everest), tall mountains and deep valleys, Nepal is also a paradise for people seeking timeless architecture and an ancient way of life. This is a good place for the spiritual-minded to rejuvenate their inner self. Wandering the fog-filled alleyways of Kathmandu, one is almost transported 30-40 years back to a closed feudalistic mountain kingdom where time stood still.

The Kathmandu valley alone is worthed many days of exploration. It comprises of 3 main cities, Kathmandu, Bhaktapur and Patan, each with its own Durbar square where the living Goddess Kumari resides. I myself had the pleasure of having a glimpse of of the Kathmandu Kumari when she decided to grace us with her presence by waving to her reverent subjects from her high window.

Kathmandu is also home to two very important temples: the Buddhist Bodhanath which houses a Buddha relic and the remains of many Rinpoches, and the Hindu Pashupatinath, a sprawling temple complex where I witnessed a cremation (a leg fell off!). For those with an even stronger stomach, one can also witness animal sacrifices (ox and stuff) at the Kali temple just outside Kathmandu.

For the fit and adventurous, you can always do what Nepal is famous for: trekking. From Kathmandu, treks to all corners of Nepal, even Tibet, can be organized! The three main trekking areas are the most tourist friendly and hassle free: Annapurna, Langtang and Khumbu (Chomolungma).

For the less adventurous, one can always explore the foothills of the Himalayas (its nice enough, trust me), or better still, take a one hour flight around Chomolungma (<US$100!).

And of course there will be Gurkhas :P

Guest Guest

Hi

I am interested. Do you have tentative dates? Maybe 1-2 weeks will be good duration. How is the response so far? Shall we get together to discuss it? I am flexible with the itinerary. Are we following a package tour?

Guest artemov

Hi balls and reflect,

It is still very tentative. But it will most definitely be 1-2 weeks long (2 weeks would be best), in early December.

It will be free and easy, we get to determine our own itinerary. That's the good thing about "backpacking" trips isn't it? We just buy our air tickets and fly :D

So far only the two of you express any interest. I will wait for a while, since its only July, then we will decide on the details of the trip, IF it is on.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Hi All

I wonder whether the trip is still ON. It's been so quiet since July. BTW, in Dec there are 3 holidays, 20th and 25th Dec. and 1st Jan If we take 6 days annual leave, and depart on 20th Dec, return on 1st Jan, the duration is 13days in one continuous stretch. How does that sounds to everyone? It seems there are no more other takers from BW, judging by the cool response.

Guest artemov

Hi hi,

Sorry was busy. Just came back from BKK :D

Anyway, the trip is still tentative. Unfortunately I have to be back home before the 28th of December to attend an important meeting.

So far not many people have expressed interest. I guess Korea, Japan, Thailand and sex are always more popular with BWers than adventure travels and backpacking trips.

Oh well, even if no one is going, I will still go I guess. Its the kind of peaceful, self-discovery trip that I need as an antidote to singapore; to be awed by nature and realize our humanity and purpose in life.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.