Male HQ

Best Char Kuay Teow

Another sinful but 'to-die-for' local favourite...

best to me is at the hawker center at Margaret Drive...

called Hoi Kee (hoi as in sea/ocean) i

it's a one-man-operation, so it's self service. and be prepared to queue up to an hour during peak periods...

he does not fry en-mass - he fries one plate at a time...

order it with extra egg, extra hum, extra black... and add BAK POK - must order one hor else NO bak pok for you...

totally nice... starts at around 5 pm, ends when he sold out at around 9 pm.

this char kuay teow is for the purist... only got hum and lup cheong... not much else... and bak pok if you into and order it... but the taste is totally good.

point to note: do not ta pao this one... cold leow yucky... the lard factor...

another one - different style is at marine parade hawker centre next to parkway parade mall... this one the 'wet style' more ingredients.... fish cake, vegetables, etc...

I tried the one in Margaret Drive and Marine Parade before. I still think the one in Bedok South is better, totally up to my standard and will do it whatever you like it. :P

It's just me.... Asura... don't fear, but be very afraid....

The one at Margaret Drive, is it the stall at the hawker center with two churches near by? I remembered patronizing the stall many times years ago when the owner just started business. Those days never have to wait long. Somehow it became popular a few years ago.

I like Char Kway Teow that comes with a lime (just like Hokkien mee) as it adds a refreshing taste to the noodle.

Hi Asu, the bedok south one is it the owner moved from Hill Street one?

The one at Margaret Drive, is it the stall at the hawker center with two churches near by? I remembered patronizing the stall many times years ago when the owner just started business. Those days never have to wait long. Somehow it became popular a few years ago.

I like Char Kway Teow that comes with a lime (just like Hokkien mee) as it adds a refreshing taste to the noodle.

Hi Asu, the bedok south one is it the owner moved from Hill Street one?

He has the quantity too. I noticed the stall has the irregular opening time and due to 'one-man-operation', the queue could be long too.

I dropped by the stall once a while as this stall located not so far away from Queens Golf Driving Range.

Anyway, the chicken rice stall upstairs 2nd sty is very yummy :thumb:

Quote: Golf and sex are about the only things you can enjoy without being good at them. ~ US Professional Golfer Jimmy Demaret

Quote: If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play at it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf. ~ Actor Bob Hope (1903 - 2003)

• 5 weeks later...
Anyway, the chicken rice stall upstairs 2nd sty is very yummy :thumb:

Hi CrazyGolfer: many said this stall is not the original famous Chicken Rice stall. Seems like someone took over and retain the name of the original stall. I have been told that the real McCoy is located in Mei Ling Street market, near Stirling Road and a stone's throw away from Margaret Drive. I have yet to check it out though...will field a report here soon

:rolleyes:

Hi CrazyGolfer: many said this stall is not the original famous Chicken Rice stall. Seems like someone took over and retain the name of the original stall. I have been told that the real McCoy is located in Mei Ling Street market, near Stirling Road and a stone's throw away from Margaret Drive. I have yet to check it out though...will field a report here soon

:rolleyes:

Thanks Chubbylover for the clarification.

Quote: Golf and sex are about the only things you can enjoy without being good at them. ~ US Professional Golfer Jimmy Demaret

Quote: If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play at it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf. ~ Actor Bob Hope (1903 - 2003)

Yes, the original yummy chicken rice in margaret drive has move to meiling street, confirm, thats what I have tried and known of a year ago.

The stall at margaret drive is not operated by one of the staff who used to work at the original stall.

The myth is, the staff is good at cooking rice, when he used to work at the original stall, why the chicken is cook by the owner and his family members.

I did tryout both stall, its almost the same, except the rice and the chilli... the chicken at the margaret drive one now, sometimes good, sometimes bad...

It's just me.... Asura... don't fear, but be very afraid....

• 3 weeks later...

Chomp Chomp new hawker center (opposite the old chomp chomp). right at the end of the stalls. if i din rem wrongly is 933 or something. quite nice... queue is usually very long. and very early sold out le.

heard was shifted there from Newton wan....

Would It Shatter Your Illusion If This Angel Had Been Cursed?

http://shitou79.blogspot.com

• 6 months later...

1) forget the name, but it is at bedok north street 3 blk 511 - watery but not as watery as the one at marine parade

2) the market near to queenstown lib, the one-man-operating uncle fried the CTK just nice for one customer. once he finished with one customer, then he will start to fry for the next customer. as such u will see a long queue.

3) stall name "Lao Fu Zi" at old airport market - abit dry as compared to number 1

• 3 weeks later...
I know there must be many many gd ones... but my vote is for the one in Orchard@ Republic food court, isetan. This was recommended by a BWer.

I had it for free- the aunite was kind to give me the LAST plate free-of-charge.

They are very friendly. They have up sized my hokkian mee for me and treat me free too! May me I am the first customer that day.

Guest Dicky

HILL STREET FRIED KWAY TEOW...formerly from Hill St.

Block 16 Bedok South Road #01-187 Bedok New Town & Food Centre

Commonwealth Avenue Food Centre, Located along Margaret Drive near the Queenstown Community Library

Queensway Hai Kee Char Kway Teow

Block 40A Commonwealth Avenue #01-550 Commonwealth Avenue Cooked Food Centre

Opening hours 5 - 10pm, closed on Sundays and public holidays

APOLLO FRIED KWAY TEOW...the very wet one.....

Block 84 Marine Parade Central #01-174 Marine Parade Centre Market & Cooked Food

Opening hours 11am - 9.30pm, closed on Tuesdays

Guest Dicky
I tried the famous Zion Road one for the first time last weekend. It was quite good. Close to the Bedok South one.

FRIED KWAY TEOW

Stall #17 Zion Road Food Centre Opening hours 7 - 11pm, closed on Sundays

Surprisingly the best Char Kuay Teow I've tried was not cooked by Chinese but by Muslim shop on the 3rd floor of Ming Arcade (Bldg opposite Hard Rock Cafe).

Besides Char Kuay Teow, their Hor Fun (soup base) is also very delicious.

I highly recommend it if you are around Orchard Rd.

I know there must be many many gd ones... but my vote is for the one in Orchard@ Republic food court, isetan. This was recommended by a BWer.

I had it for free- the aunite was kind to give me the LAST plate free-of-charge.

Andy, next time you come to Sg, I will bring u to Ming Arcade to try the Char Kuay Teow. You will not regret.

• 5 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.