Male HQ

Pr In Singapore

Guest Guest

Many PRC only use Singapore as a stepping board. They come here to study secondary, get scholarship to enter NUS or NTU. Become new citizen. Buy HDB then move on to USA and get green card there.

And india and pinoy too.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest Old Citizen

Why you worry for them?

They can liquidate everything and go retire in comfort by going back to their birth country or migrating to somewhere else.

They should count their blessing no body give them a hard time while they are staying and working here.

30 years of living here without the heart to convert to citizenship. This alone will tell you what type of PR this kind of creatures are.

A big waste of national resources to feed these ingrates.

PR who are unwilling to commit and take on citizen responsibility and merely want to benefit the best from both world are scums.

They don't deserve respect at all.

Who the heck are you?

I don't like this type of topics

Don't throw flame baits to people.

Roar.

Yes.

This pretty much summarize my feel about this whole thread.

Hate those people who think Singapore is a global city meaning opening its legs wide for everyone to cum inside, after that just walk off without any feelings.

These people usually think that they worked overseas for a couple of years and they have 'seen the world' and think that the world should be without borders and embracing all outside cultures. People who think otherwise are frogs living in the well.

Then how come there are still wars around other parts of the world? Its because each country have their own resources i.e. oil, rice, minerals, crops etc. But Singapore has none of these! And our only resources are our hardworking people, good infrastructure, transport network, good geographical location. But our government is not focusing on developing our people and choose to open its doors to outsiders to depress our wages in order compete with third world countries like Philippines and India despite escalating living expenses.

So lets welcome more PRs to come here and stay as a happy family, so we can have more sxx partners to choose from.

Pretty sad to read about the narrow-mindedness of the Singaporeans who post here.

If Singaporeans can reproduce quickly enough, then perhaps the Government won't need to bring in so many foreign talents to help build Singapore.

If Singaporeans are able, capable and willing to take on jobs in our two resorts, then why would a lot of the positions, senior or junior, be given to foreign talents?

Singaporeans should appreciate their government more. Where else would the government offer such good housing scheme to allow such a high percentage of citizens with a roof over their heads? You have one of the best and cheap educational system in the world. It is a safe place with minimal crime rate. It is clean enough. But socially Singaporeans still have. Long way to go.

TS raised a very valid and fair question that I believe remain unresolved. PRs who reside in Singapore, work and contribute for over 20 years are as valuable a member of Singapore as any citizens of Singapore. The only difference between these PRs and citizens would appear to be the fact that citizens serve NS. I dint think we can belittle the importance of NS but certainly also cannot take it as such differentiator on who contribute more!

Singapore is a red dot. If Singapore does not treasure the contribution of PRS, you may find that one day these PRs turn their attention to other up and coming countries, and your beloved little red dot may no longer thrive as well as today.

Pretty sad to read about the narrow-mindedness of the Singaporeans who post here.

If Singaporeans can reproduce quickly enough, then perhaps the Government won't need to bring in so many foreign talents to help build Singapore.

If Singaporeans are able, capable and willing to take on jobs in our two resorts, then why would a lot of the positions, senior or junior, be given to foreign talents?

Singaporeans should appreciate their government more. Where else would the government offer such good housing scheme to allow such a high percentage of citizens with a roof over their heads? You have one of the best and cheap educational system in the world. It is a safe place with minimal crime rate. It is clean enough. But socially Singaporeans still have. Long way to go.

TS raised a very valid and fair question that I believe remain unresolved. PRs who reside in Singapore, work and contribute for over 20 years are as valuable a member of Singapore as any citizens of Singapore. The only difference between these PRs and citizens would appear to be the fact that citizens serve NS. I dint think we can belittle the importance of NS but certainly also cannot take it as such differentiator on who contribute more!

Singapore is a red dot. If Singapore does not treasure the contribution of PRS, you may find that one day these PRs turn their attention to other up and coming countries, and your beloved little red dot may no longer thrive as well as today.

Well...who implemented the Stop at 2 policy? Who makes it so expensive for early childhood education?

Why YOU choose to like guy? (assuming you are gay and not married bi)

You keep on repeating 'If Singaporean' and last sentence you mentioned 'your beloved little red dot'. So I assume you are not a true blue Singaporean.

The only difference is NOT NS and not trying to belittle NS. So what is your stance? We go ICT/IPPT/RT till we are 40s to protect you so you can enjoy the peace and security while taking away our jobs?

Keep on leeching on our system. We will show you the way come election time and boot you out.

Well foreigners and PRs are here to stay in sg..

SG men cannot live w/o those young mei mei at GL.

Part and parcels of life..

Supply and demand..

Govt and employer ai pi

Local men ai qi ai tua liap nee..

facts of life

but who is at fault?

the govt is to be blamed for opening the gates to them..

Guest Old Citizen

Well foreigners and PRs are here to stay in sg..

SG men cannot live w/o those young mei mei at GL.

Part and parcels of life..

Supply and demand..

Govt and employer ai pi

Local men ai qi ai tua liap nee..

facts of life

but who is at fault?

the govt is to be blamed for opening the gates to them..

We want real talents who can bring in their expertise in fields that Singapore lacks or workers who fill in the gaps in jobs that Singaporeans tend to shun i.e. construction, nursing etc.. NOT fake talents with dubious certificates or economic refugees who compete with locals for PMET jobs.

A lot of these fake talents after staying for a few years, tend to become unable to differentiate between privilege and entitlement, like the guest in post#157 who becomes thick-skinned and boasts that Singapore will go downhill without them.

We want real talents who can bring in their expertise in fields that Singapore lacks or workers who fill in the gaps in jobs that Singaporeans tend to shun i.e. construction, nursing etc.. NOT fake talents with dubious certificates or economic refugees who compete with locals for PMET jobs.

A lot of these fake talents after staying for a few years, tend to become unable to differentiate between privilege and entitlement, like the guest in post#157 who becomes thick-skinned and boasts that Singapore will go downhill without them.

how old are you old citizen? 

I am afraid sooner or later. Sg will not be like Sg in the past but rather "a new sg"

a melting pot of china chinese, india indian. sg chi malay ind. viet, thai, pinoy etc etc

i feel it is not the foreigners you should fear but sg is getting more expensive and competitive

this country is not as stable and compassionate as it used too be..

Guest Old Citizen

how old are you old citizen? 

I am afraid sooner or later. Sg will not be like Sg in the past but rather "a new sg"

a melting pot of china chinese, india indian. sg chi malay ind. viet, thai, pinoy etc etc

i feel it is not the foreigners you should fear but sg is getting more expensive and competitive

this country is not as stable and compassionate as it used too be..

I am in mid-30s.

Singapore is losing its national identity. Everywhere you go, you see new condos, shopping malls, tearing down of old landmarks. Every time you look around you see people with different cultural background, speaking their mother tongues.

When you crowd 5.5 million people on a tiny island, people become impatient, short-tempered. Longer waiting for essential services, queuing for meals, crowded public transport, looking for parking, traffic jams etc. How to be compassionate?

Singapore government withholding your CPF, companies employing foreigners instead of locals to evade CPF contribution. Singapore selling its essential services to foreign entities(power plant, Singapore power), privatizing public transport, increasing COE to curb vehicle population. How to become less expensive?

一个弹丸小国如果步伐太快,并非是一件好事,

因为资源有限,经济不断增长和市场社会发展进行就会背道而驰,

短期来看是繁荣的稳定,但长期得不到平衡状态,

就将处于不稳定的趋势,再加上外来的因素,

前景并不是很乐观。

Guest Old Citizen

一个弹丸小国如果步伐太快,并非是一件好事,

因为资源有限,经济不断增长和市场社会发展进行就会背道而驰,

短期来看是繁荣的稳定,但长期得不到平衡状态,

就将处于不稳定的趋势,再加上外来的因素,

前景并不是很乐观。

Agreed.

Economic growth at the expense of? Honestly speaking, all these growth figures does not translate to benefits to a lot of ordinary Singaporeans like you and me.

I agree with the part about our government opening up to attract foreign direct investments for our country's economic development but we are giving them massive tax rebates (read Broadcom) in return. And did they return their gratitude by hiring locals over foreigners? Another example is our 2 integrated resorts, if you have stayed or gone there, you would have noticed that most of their staffs are foreigners and that includes supervisory roles.

really, most of their staff are , IR have to follow Mom quotas. Btw, back of house have lots of other staff you will not see.

I am in mid-30s.

Singapore is losing its national identity. Everywhere you go, you see new condos, shopping malls, tearing down of old landmarks. Every time you look around you see people with different cultural background, speaking their mother tongues.

When you crowd 5.5 million people on a tiny island, people become impatient, short-tempered. Longer waiting for essential services, queuing for meals, crowded public transport, looking for parking, traffic jams etc. How to be compassionate?

Singapore government withholding your CPF, companies employing foreigners instead of locals to evade CPF contribution. Singapore selling its essential services to foreign entities(power plant, Singapore power), privatizing public transport, increasing COE to curb vehicle population. How to become less expensive?

i personally feel 2009 was a better year . after 2009 onwards things become worst..

well the younger generation have a battle to fight.

i am only 26 year old... i am 90% dead and i seem to be losing the battle..

I think many of you have not been to other countries to see for yourselves the living conditions in these countries, how little their government do on housing, healthcare, transportation, employment, education for the citizens, and how much harder these people have to work to survive. Singaporeans are frankly too pampered by the government, so much so that they have become complacent and they expect more and more from the government as though they have the right to have an easy life and have everything provided for free. Survey all the developed countries around our region and hopefully you will realize that you are in a lucky country.

I don't work for the government. I am a PR who have been here for many years. I work and travel around the region and the world regularly. I have witnessed the progress in Singapore over the last 30 years but sadly I am also witnessing how greedy and ungrateful the people have become. I haven't figured out why there is a failing in the system, be it educational or simply values are diminishing, that the younger generation have become so disappointing......

Did anyone realize that those people who always compare us to the 3rd  world countries are always foreigners or, as Old Citizen has put it, economic refugees from lesser countries? Don't these guys know that our country is now in regression?

We are now at where we were 10 years ago, even though we are still better than those lesser countries that are 20 years behind us.

I think these foreigners will only accept the fact that we are really regressing when their lesser home countries catches up ahead of us. And that is when they will just relinquish their PR status and employment passes so that they can go home while we stay  in the land that they have spoilt.

Guest Old Citizen

I think many of you have not been to other countries to see for yourselves the living conditions in these countries, how little their government do on housing, healthcare, transportation, employment, education for the citizens, and how much harder these people have to work to survive. Singaporeans are frankly too pampered by the government, so much so that they have become complacent and they expect more and more from the government as though they have the right to have an easy life and have everything provided for free. Survey all the developed countries around our region and hopefully you will realize that you are in a lucky country.

I don't work for the government. I am a PR who have been here for many years. I work and travel around the region and the world regularly. I have witnessed the progress in Singapore over the last 30 years but sadly I am also witnessing how greedy and ungrateful the people have become. I haven't figured out why there is a failing in the system, be it educational or simply values are diminishing, that the younger generation have become so disappointing......

Yes, we are indeed 'lucky' when compared to other countries in terms of infrastructure and public amenities. Therefore, we are proud of our achievements today. We are grateful to people who contributed to its success including foreigners.

Singaporeans in general do not hate PRs, foreigners etc. The hate is directed at those PRs/foreigners who leeches on our country's resources without sense of gratitude and our government's open door policies.

The failing is the government going too fast and furious in pursuit of economic success at the sacrifice of intangible benefits.

I do not know which segment of the population are you referring to being greedy/ungrateful. But when you put people into the lion pit to fend for themselves without giving them weapons, how do you expect them to behave? There are limited jobs out there but the population is increasing steadily towards 7million as we are speaking. So, start to make some noise or sit on the fence?

Singapore is slowly losing its competitive edge over other countries due to our lax immigration policies and escalating business setup costs. Do not blame the young for being disillusioned.

What is the difference between PRs and citizens is a thin line drawn in SG.

Guest Raiden Alpha

@To the establishment.

Continue to persist in pro foreigner policies at your own peril and stupidity if you wish.

You sideline and marginalise the local population to made space for the foreign workforce to come in to let you earn your levies and meet the country economic progression KPI so that you can justify collecting your obscene salaries among politicians in the world.

Do you have the power and confidence to quell and resolve the deep resentment and angst you have given to the voters in your decision to do such exchange? You are risking political death during election times.

Also the foreign workforce are remitting and channeling their funds and money they earn here back to their home countries.

Every year these less developed countries continue to benefit and improve from this source of tremendous revenues back into their own lands while Singapore continue to languish and slide into regression.

You are killing the country and destroying your citizens lives with your erroneous ways.

God have no mercy on unrepentant sinners who choose to do harm on others for the sake of self enrichment.

Edited by Raiden Alpha

比上不足, 比下有(教)育, (性)欲, (忧) 郁, (荣)誉, 裕(廊) ,。。。。。

The grass is not always greener on the side of fence.

We may not be as wonderful as we ought to be, there are still many things to be proud of ...worry about...

For the lesser-Chinese speaking, we have the chance of education, sex drive, depression. honour and Jurong...

There is really much to fear for the younger, the next generation. 

We are losing our own competitive edge even on home soil - most of the retail and F & B crew are not locals anymore.

My daily visits to the hospital (thanks, my mom is slowly recovering) prove  one thing - there are fewer locals there.

SGH is floored with many nurses (both male and female) from overseas - how are they able to communicate with the sick?

If you ever visited someone there, you will noticed that the communication/language medium is added ... like Cantonese for my mom ... how are these foreign talents able to understand leh?

@To the establishment.

Continue to persist in pro foreigner policies at your own peril and stupidity if you wish.

You sideline and marginalise the local population to made space for the foreign workforce to come in to let you earn your levies and meet the country economic progression KPI so that you can justify collecting your obscene salaries among politicians in the world.

Do you have the power and confidence to quell and resolve the deep resentment and angst you have given to the voters in your decision to do such exchange? You are risking political death during election times.

Also the foreign workforce are remitting and channeling their funds and money they earn here back to their home countries.

Every year these less developed countries continue to benefit and improve from this source of tremendous revenues back into their own lands while Singapore continue to languish and slide into regression.

You are killing the country and destroying your citizens lives with your erroneous ways.

God have no mercy on unrepentant sinners who choose to do harm on others for the sake of self enrichment.

If anything were to be blame, it is the way of how Singapore and Singaporeans have been governed for the past decades.

As a result of how Singapore is being governed, Singaporeans now are more selfish than before. Singaporeans have no time even for themselves, so much so, they get iritated and agitated with the slightest inconvenience around them.

And when they think something has gone wrong, they will run to the government for fault blaming; and wanting the government to be the one to solve their problems.

Guest Old Citizen

If anything were to be blame, it is the way of how Singapore and Singaporeans have been governed for the past decades.

As a result of how Singapore is being governed, Singaporeans now are more selfish than before. Singaporeans have no time even for themselves, so much so, they get iritated and agitated with the slightest inconvenience around them.

And when they think something has gone wrong, they will run to the government for fault blaming; and wanting the government to be the one to solve their problems.

60% voted for the government but in the end how many represented the 40% in the government?

They are the highest paid cabinet of ministers in the world. Maybe even a few country's cabinet combined. Since they are paid obscenely, citizens cannot have high expectations on them?

Instead of empathizing with the folks on the street level by providing affordable essential services, they choose to favor the rich and business owners to depress the living conditions of the mass.

They are the highest paid cabinet of ministers in the world. Maybe even a few country's cabinet combined. Since they are paid obscenely, citizens cannot have high expectations on them?

If one is not happy, do something about it.  See HK.

Else solve your own problems.

Singaporeans simply wants to complain, and have no balls literally.

Are you telling us the government is completely faultless?

Are you asking us to do something illegal? And don't worry about us doing something about it. Just wait till 2016 and you will see.

Guest Old Citizen

If one is not happy, do something about it. See HK.

You disrupt the economy by demonstrating. This only happen in third world countries and some other europe countries. This does not benefit our country in long term.

The complaints fall to death ears. Just voice with your votes.

Guest Old Citizen

If one is not happy, do something about it. See HK.

You disrupt the economy by demonstrating. This only happen in third world countries and some other europe countries. This does not benefit our country in long term.

Are you telling us the government is completely faultless?

Are you asking us to do something illegal? And don't worry about us doing something about it. Just wait till 2016 and you will see.

Before one blames others, look at your own backyard first.

Your second phrase confirms that that there are many who just complains but dare not have any further concrete actions.

If you think u can change 2016, so be it.

But, what if you can't, what are you going to do about it? My take is that, such complaints will last for another 5 years chanting 2021 instead.

Now, somebody looks at the economy and your livelihood then. 

Every country has a problem, Singapore is no exception.  There are aspects which need improvement. Definitely.

But Singaporeans want to complain but do not want to do lift their fingers to do anything about it.

If you are hungry, blame your parents for biving birth to you, blame the government for not feeding you.

You can also start chanting 2021.

Guest Old Citizen

Every country has a problem, Singapore is no exception. There are aspects which need improvement. Definitely.

But Singaporeans want to complain but do not want to do lift their fingers to do anything about it.

If you are hungry, blame your parents for biving birth to you, blame the government for not feeding you.

So what constructive solution(s) you can propose?

People who says others are complaining without offering wholesome solutions are mother of all complainers!

You offer destructive solution while sitting on your armchair. So what have you done besides lifting your own fingers and empty talk?

Before one blames others, look at your own backyard first.

Your second phrase confirms that that there are many who just complains but dare not have any further concrete actions.

If you think u can change 2016, so be it.

But, what if you can't, what are you going to do about it? My take is that, such complaints will last for another 5 years chanting 2021 instead.

So, again, are you suggesting that we do something illegal? Are you instigating a strike? Are you abetting some violence?

Your statement confirms the difference in the caliber of Singaporeans and foreigners. We follow the law, while you do things your way, regardless how illegal it is, just to show you have the "balls" while lacking a  brain.

Every country has a problem, Singapore is no exception.  There are aspects which need improvement. Definitely.

So when the government in other countries needs improvement, what do they do? Do they sit back and wait for the government to "improve"? You may want to say that we were always "complaining". But what happened to all our FEEDBACK? When we said the MRT was crowded, the Minister told us we still have capacity. When we said 6.9 million is too much, somebody still wanted to shove that number down our throat. When an opposition MP mentioned about increasing our social security net, he was mocked at and the analogy of a Nigerian scam was made to describe an improved social security net. Were those complaints or feedback?

The ruling party has basically controlled the human rights and the media completely over here. There is the lack of human freedom here. Unlike you, we work with our brains, not our balls and guts.

So, again, are you suggesting that we do something illegal? Are you instigating a strike? Are you abetting some violence?

Your statement confirms the difference in the caliber of Singaporeans and foreigners. We follow the law, while you do things your way, regardless how illegal it is, just to show you have the "balls" while lacking a brain.

So when the government in other countries needs improvement, what do they do? Do they sit back and wait for the government to "improve"? You may want to say that we were always "complaining". But what happened to all our FEEDBACK? When we said the MRT was crowded, the Minister told us we still have capacity. When we said 6.9 million is too much, somebody still wanted to shove that number down our throat. When an opposition MP mentioned about increasing our social security net, he was mocked at and the analogy of a Nigerian scam was made to describe an improved social security net. Were those complaints or feedback?

The ruling party has basically controlled the human rights and the media completely over here. There is the lack of human freedom here. Unlike you, we work with our brains, not our balls and guts.

IT is legal at hong lim park.

Btw, It doesn't have need to be a protest. Instead of venting our frustration through anger, we can channel the energy more productively.

Cos anger only makes you feel helpless and victimized.

If u feel that the change can be done in 2016, you can see what are the things you can contribute from now to help achieving the results you want to see in two years time.

IT is legal at hong lim park.

Btw, It doesn't have need to be a protest. Instead of venting our frustration through anger, we can channel the energy more productively.

Cos anger only makes you feel helpless and victimized.

If u feel that the change can be done in 2016, you can see what are the things you can contribute from now to help achieving the results you want to see in two years time.

Are you the same Guest who told us to do something about it? So is this your best suggestion after getting challenged: Protest at HLP? Other than that, I see no suggestions coming from you.  Besides all your false bravado, there's nothing more than a bag of hot air from you.

Are you the same Guest who told us to do something about it? So is this your best suggestion after getting challenged: Protest at HLP? Other than that, I see no suggestions coming from you. Besides all your false bravado, there's nothing more than a bag of hot air from you.

No one can tell u what u need to do. It got to come from you. If you open your eyes and pay attention to your surrounding, every moment there is a potential for you to act for the better of this country. It could be as simple as helping a stranger, or be respectful when we interact with other people.

Negativity is contagious, not only affect yourself..but people around you too

No one can tell u what u need to do. It got to come from you. If you open your eyes and pay attention to your surrounding, every moment there is a potential for you to act for the better of this country. It could be as simple as helping a stranger, or be respectful when we interact with other people.

Negativity is contagious, not only affect yourself..but people around you too

Are you the same guest who made the two posts above? Did you say we are "no balls" and "simply wants to complain"? So after having foreigners coming to us and swiping us with such remarks, we are still supposed to "act for the better of this country"? Try not to take our patience and kindness for granted because we fight back.

Guest Love PR

I love PR. My darling is PR. My friendly Neighbours are PR. My best friend is PR. My bros are PR. My sifu and mentor in office is PR. I love them :D

SINGAPORE: Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong singled out three principles that will help Singapore keep its momentum and purpose as it enters a phase of transition.
Mr Lee was speaking on Friday (Oct 3) at the National University of Singapore Society (NUSS) Lecture, which marked the society's 60th anniversary.

In a wide-ranging and hard-hitting speech entitled "Singapore in Transition - the Next Phase", Mr Lee said that the country is at an inflexion point and is in the process of changing gears and pace.
He touched on three broad themes, beginning with the need for Singaporeans to keep looking outwards even as the country tackles domestic challenges.

He also explained why Singapore must not shy away from hard-headed policies when it comes tackling challenges.

Mr Lee then spoke on the need for Singaporeans to understand their past and be confident of their future, even as they immerse themselves in the present. 

LOOKING OUTWARDS
It is important for Singaporeans to keep looking outwards, even as they deal with urgent issues at home, like housing and medical care, he said, adding that he feared Singaporeans are not paying enough attention to what is happening outside the country and are too absorbed in their daily lives to track less immediate concerns.

He explained why it's important for Singaporeans to have a broader view: "First, it sets our own issues in perspective. We are preoccupied with healthcare financing, with aging population, with immigration, income inequality and so many other domestic items. But these are not items unique to Singapore," he said.
Many other countries in the world, especially developed countries face similar issues and exactly the same list of things, he pointed out. "We are all facing, dealing with the challenges in our different ways. So to make sense of what faces us and to assess what we are doing, and to have ideas on what we can do, we have to know that this is not peculiar to Singapore."

Rather, Singapore has to know how others are tackling their problems and learn from their experiences, he said. "Then I think we can see our issues and perspective and we can make a judgement. Is this something you should be alarmed about, where we should congratulate ourselves or which we can do something about.
Mr Lee added that being open, connected and outward-looking has always been the pillar of Singapore's success. This is why other country's leaders look to the Republic to seek views on international matters. He said that being able to understand the impact of major changes in the Asian landscape will allow Singapore to anticipate and respond properly to events. 
He also said that globalisation and technological advances can create and disrupt businesses swiftly. With the Arctic Ocean melting and new sailing routes opening up, for example, some ships may bypass Singapore's ports. 
"So we have to watch, we have to understand, and most of you may not have noticed this but Singapore has become an observer in the Arctic Council," said Mr Lee. "And it's not a joke! We are an Equatorial country right in the middle of the tropics. We decided we better become an observer in the Arctic Council. It can affect us and we want to know, and we want to be part of this change. We have no choice."

ENGAGING BOTH HEAD AND HEART
To make Singapore valuable to the world also requires an approach that's both good-hearted and hard-headed, said Mr Lee, and an important example of where both heart and head is needed is in the nation's population policy.

Singapore must never be hard-hearted, but it must also never shy away from hard-headed policies when tackling challenges. Mr Lee outlined three reasons for this: 
First - to ensure that the good-hearted things can be done right. Mr Lee said in many countries, the best-intentioned social policies have often hurt the people they were meant to help.
Second - so that Singapore can be good-hearted not just to the current generation, but to future ones as well. That is why the Government must be hard-headed and live within its means. Mr Lee said this was why money was set aside for the Pioneer Generation Package, and not left future generations to pay for it.
"In CPF and healthcare financing, it would be irresponsible to lay the burden on our children, as some other countries have done, by paying for generous welfare benefits through state borrowing," he said. 
Thirdly, the nation needs growth and prosperity in order to be good-hearted. Mr Lee pointed out that the only way for Singaporeans to have a good life is for the economy to grow. But he emphasised that this is not being done at the expense of factors like social or environmental costs.

One area where heart and head must be balanced is the nation's population policy. Mr Lee assured Singaporeans that the Government is paying attention to both the emotional and practical aspects of this, giving weight to how comfortable people are with the pace of immigration and and encouraging those newly-arrived to adapt to Singapore society.

"Last year, when we debated the population White Paper in Parliament, the Government proposed moderating the foreign worker inflows. The opposition rejected this. They argued for zero foreign worker growth. They said no inflows - shut it off.  It was an populist and irresponsible pose. It was not a serious policy, because such a freeze would have harmed our economy, and in particular would have hurt many of the SMEs which desperately need workers, and would have caused Singaporeans to suffer and lose jobs," he said.

"So we didn't do that, and instead we decided to moderate the foreign worker inflow, not to stop it. Even this is painful, we know that. The policies are biting - many SMEs are finding it tough, despite all our schemes to help them. So nowadays, you don't hear any more demands from the opposition for zero foreign worker growth. But what we are doing, what we said we would do, is necessary and is working. The latest manpower numbers do show that foreign worker growth has slowed to a more sustainable level, and is about where we want it to be.

"I do not expect any further measures to tighten foreign worker numbers further. Meanwhile our economic restructuring is progressing, productivity is improving, at least in some sectors. We are steadily catching up in terms of our infrastructure - our housing, public transport and so on.  So you must put together your heart and your head, and think carefully, feel how people feel, and choose a solution which addresses to the extent possible, both heart and head, and to convince people to accept it, and support it."

Mr Lee said that the issue of population is also a sensitive topic in other countries, with many nations seeing anti-immigrant backlash, which must be avoided in Singapore. "We have to manage our numbers, we have to stay open and welcome those who are ready to contribute to Singapore, and ready to make their home here. We must maintain our reputation for being a good place to live and work, because we lose that at our peril. If people think that we are not interested in attracting investments, that talent is not welcome, that we've turned inwards, I think that's the end of us," he said.

Thse are "real dangers", he said, "because we see a tendencies, especially on the Internet, to blame everything bad that happens in Singapore on foreigners, and blame all foreigners for anything bad that any one non-Singaporean does. All bad things are done by foreigners, and all foreigners do bad things. And they even get blamed for some things which have nothing to do with them."
He cited swimmer Joseph Schooling as an example. The Eurasian athlete "is born here, his father is born here,  he happens to be Eurasian, he won a gold medal, in fact he won three medals, and he was called an Ang Moh foreign talent", said Mr Lee. " I think it's a compliment to the ang moh foreign talent. So I am ashamed and dismayed when I read such virulent and nasty attitudes, and I am sure so are many other Singaporeans. And we have to stand up and have the courage to say so, and not be cowed into being silent. There are problems of integration, or numbers congestion, we deal with them. But bad behaviour, rude behaviour, behaviour that is really a disgrace to a Singaporean, a human being, we should have the courage to call it such."

UNDERSTANDING SINGAPORE’S PAST
Mr Lee also spoke of the need for Singaporeans to understand their past and be confident of their future. It is important to understand Singapore's past to see why the country works the way it does, and the lessons of history need to be reinforced, he said.
One way the past will be remembered is with Singapore's 50th anniversary next year. A memorial will also be erected opposite MacDonald House, to commemorate the victims of Konfrontasi.

Mr Lee also spoke of other projects in the works. “The fight against the Communists, if it had gone the other way, Singapore would have been very, very different. So we are planning a marker to remember and honour those who fought against the Communists for a democratic, non-Communist future for Singapore," he said. "We are also republishing next week The Battle for Merger, which is a collection of radio thoughts by Mr Lee Kuan Yew which he gave in 1961 which exposed the real aims of the Communists, explained what was at stake and why it was important for Singaporeans to support merger with Malaysia."

Mr Lee also reassured youth concerned about their future, given that it is a time of rapid change and intense competition. While their anxiety is warranted, he said, if they understand the opportunities that are opening up, they should be eager and ready to go. He said Singapore also has the resources and talent to make it truly exceptional.

"Anxiety is understandable, anxiety is even constructive, up to a point. Even some paranoia is helpful because, as Andy Grove says, only the paranoid survive. And it can keep you on your toes. It's like the anxiety you feel before you go on stage to perform,” he said. “But it should not lead to paralysis, or despondency. We need to be both paranoid but at the same time paradoxically confident. Then we can make this a special nation for Singaporeans."

Guest Raiden Alpha

SINGAPORE: Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong singled out three principles that will help Singapore keep its momentum and purpose as it enters a phase of transition.

Mr Lee was speaking on Friday (Oct 3) at the National University of Singapore Society (NUSS) Lecture, which marked the society's 60th anniversary.

In a wide-ranging and hard-hitting speech entitled "Singapore in Transition - the Next Phase", Mr Lee said that the country is at an inflexion point and is in the process of changing gears and pace.

He touched on three broad themes, beginning with the need for Singaporeans to keep looking outwards even as the country tackles domestic challenges.

He also explained why Singapore must not shy away from hard-headed policies when it comes tackling challenges.

Mr Lee then spoke on the need for Singaporeans to understand their past and be confident of their future, even as they immerse themselves in the present.

LOOKING OUTWARDS

It is important for Singaporeans to keep looking outwards, even as they deal with urgent issues at home, like housing and medical care, he said, adding that he feared Singaporeans are not paying enough attention to what is happening outside the country and are too absorbed in their daily lives to track less immediate concerns.

He explained why it's important for Singaporeans to have a broader view: "First, it sets our own issues in perspective. We are preoccupied with healthcare financing, with aging population, with immigration, income inequality and so many other domestic items. But these are not items unique to Singapore," he said.

Many other countries in the world, especially developed countries face similar issues and exactly the same list of things, he pointed out. "We are all facing, dealing with the challenges in our different ways. So to make sense of what faces us and to assess what we are doing, and to have ideas on what we can do, we have to know that this is not peculiar to Singapore."

Rather, Singapore has to know how others are tackling their problems and learn from their experiences, he said. "Then I think we can see our issues and perspective and we can make a judgement. Is this something you should be alarmed about, where we should congratulate ourselves or which we can do something about.

Mr Lee added that being open, connected and outward-looking has always been the pillar of Singapore's success. This is why other country's leaders look to the Republic to seek views on international matters. He said that being able to understand the impact of major changes in the Asian landscape will allow Singapore to anticipate and respond properly to events.

He also said that globalisation and technological advances can create and disrupt businesses swiftly. With the Arctic Ocean melting and new sailing routes opening up, for example, some ships may bypass Singapore's ports.

"So we have to watch, we have to understand, and most of you may not have noticed this but Singapore has become an observer in the Arctic Council," said Mr Lee. "And it's not a joke! We are an Equatorial country right in the middle of the tropics. We decided we better become an observer in the Arctic Council. It can affect us and we want to know, and we want to be part of this change. We have no choice."

ENGAGING BOTH HEAD AND HEART

To make Singapore valuable to the world also requires an approach that's both good-hearted and hard-headed, said Mr Lee, and an important example of where both heart and head is needed is in the nation's population policy.

Singapore must never be hard-hearted, but it must also never shy away from hard-headed policies when tackling challenges. Mr Lee outlined three reasons for this:

First - to ensure that the good-hearted things can be done right. Mr Lee said in many countries, the best-intentioned social policies have often hurt the people they were meant to help.

Second - so that Singapore can be good-hearted not just to the current generation, but to future ones as well. That is why the Government must be hard-headed and live within its means. Mr Lee said this was why money was set aside for the Pioneer Generation Package, and not left future generations to pay for it.

"In CPF and healthcare financing, it would be irresponsible to lay the burden on our children, as some other countries have done, by paying for generous welfare benefits through state borrowing," he said.

Thirdly, the nation needs growth and prosperity in order to be good-hearted. Mr Lee pointed out that the only way for Singaporeans to have a good life is for the economy to grow. But he emphasised that this is not being done at the expense of factors like social or environmental costs.

One area where heart and head must be balanced is the nation's population policy. Mr Lee assured Singaporeans that the Government is paying attention to both the emotional and practical aspects of this, giving weight to how comfortable people are with the pace of immigration and and encouraging those newly-arrived to adapt to Singapore society.

"Last year, when we debated the population White Paper in Parliament, the Government proposed moderating the foreign worker inflows. The opposition rejected this. They argued for zero foreign worker growth. They said no inflows - shut it off. It was an populist and irresponsible pose. It was not a serious policy, because such a freeze would have harmed our economy, and in particular would have hurt many of the SMEs which desperately need workers, and would have caused Singaporeans to suffer and lose jobs," he said.

"So we didn't do that, and instead we decided to moderate the foreign worker inflow, not to stop it. Even this is painful, we know that. The policies are biting - many SMEs are finding it tough, despite all our schemes to help them. So nowadays, you don't hear any more demands from the opposition for zero foreign worker growth. But what we are doing, what we said we would do, is necessary and is working. The latest manpower numbers do show that foreign worker growth has slowed to a more sustainable level, and is about where we want it to be.

"I do not expect any further measures to tighten foreign worker numbers further. Meanwhile our economic restructuring is progressing, productivity is improving, at least in some sectors. We are steadily catching up in terms of our infrastructure - our housing, public transport and so on. So you must put together your heart and your head, and think carefully, feel how people feel, and choose a solution which addresses to the extent possible, both heart and head, and to convince people to accept it, and support it."

Mr Lee said that the issue of population is also a sensitive topic in other countries, with many nations seeing anti-immigrant backlash, which must be avoided in Singapore. "We have to manage our numbers, we have to stay open and welcome those who are ready to contribute to Singapore, and ready to make their home here. We must maintain our reputation for being a good place to live and work, because we lose that at our peril. If people think that we are not interested in attracting investments, that talent is not welcome, that we've turned inwards, I think that's the end of us," he said.

Thse are "real dangers", he said, "because we see a tendencies, especially on the Internet, to blame everything bad that happens in Singapore on foreigners, and blame all foreigners for anything bad that any one non-Singaporean does. All bad things are done by foreigners, and all foreigners do bad things. And they even get blamed for some things which have nothing to do with them."

He cited swimmer Joseph Schooling as an example. The Eurasian athlete "is born here, his father is born here, he happens to be Eurasian, he won a gold medal, in fact he won three medals, and he was called an Ang Moh foreign talent", said Mr Lee. " I think it's a compliment to the ang moh foreign talent. So I am ashamed and dismayed when I read such virulent and nasty attitudes, and I am sure so are many other Singaporeans. And we have to stand up and have the courage to say so, and not be cowed into being silent. There are problems of integration, or numbers congestion, we deal with them. But bad behaviour, rude behaviour, behaviour that is really a disgrace to a Singaporean, a human being, we should have the courage to call it such."

UNDERSTANDING SINGAPORE’S PAST

Mr Lee also spoke of the need for Singaporeans to understand their past and be confident of their future. It is important to understand Singapore's past to see why the country works the way it does, and the lessons of history need to be reinforced, he said.

One way the past will be remembered is with Singapore's 50th anniversary next year. A memorial will also be erected opposite MacDonald House, to commemorate the victims of Konfrontasi.

Mr Lee also spoke of other projects in the works. “The fight against the Communists, if it had gone the other way, Singapore would have been very, very different. So we are planning a marker to remember and honour those who fought against the Communists for a democratic, non-Communist future for Singapore," he said. "We are also republishing next week The Battle for Merger, which is a collection of radio thoughts by Mr Lee Kuan Yew which he gave in 1961 which exposed the real aims of the Communists, explained what was at stake and why it was important for Singaporeans to support merger with Malaysia."

Mr Lee also reassured youth concerned about their future, given that it is a time of rapid change and intense competition. While their anxiety is warranted, he said, if they understand the opportunities that are opening up, they should be eager and ready to go. He said Singapore also has the resources and talent to make it truly exceptional.

"Anxiety is understandable, anxiety is even constructive, up to a point. Even some paranoia is helpful because, as Andy Grove says, only the paranoid survive. And it can keep you on your toes. It's like the anxiety you feel before you go on stage to perform,” he said. “But it should not lead to paralysis, or despondency. We need to be both paranoid but at the same time paradoxically confident. Then we can make this a special nation for Singaporeans."

It is not about what this man has said.

It is about what he has done.

The nation trust/bond between people and government have been severed because of him.

His words have no credence and credibility in many Singaporeans eyes nowaday.

He is not elected by the people into the position of a PM.

Under him and his political party,citizen pension money are channel out of cpf and directed to temasek holding as capitals for investments.

Whether it is loss or gain there is no way to know conclusively.

Raising up of retirement age.

Enforcing cpf minimum sum requirement.

Selling citizens public housing at sky high price that is partly jack up by market force and speculation.

These three measures effectively serve to

)1) Delay citizen from retiring and withdrawing their pension out.

(2) Locking up citizens money in cpf and preventing them from performing full withdrawal if they don't meet the minimum sum requirement.

(3) Using expensive housings to soak up citizens cpf money.

There are still much more that can be said but I leave it at here first.

Point is no one buy his vision and explanation by this stage already.

The nation trust/bond between people and government have been severed because of him.

Under him and his political party,citizen pension money are channel out of cpf and directed to temasek holding as capitals for investments.

Selling citizens public housing at sky high price that is partly jack up by market force and speculation.

(2) Locking up citizens money in cpf and preventing them from performing full withdrawal if they don't meet the minimum sum requirement.

yes and 'everyone' believes you and your leader.

Guest Raiden Alpha

Then ask your leader to open up the gate and use them to drown us all out loh. Lol

It's okay one.

If your kind want to do that by all means go ahead,just don't cry when one day the country can't hold up to the population stress and burst taking everyone to their death with it.

I can tahan,no problem one.

Can creatures like you tahan or not?

Then ask your leader to open up the gate and use them to drown us all out loh. Lol

It's okay one.

If your kind want to do that by all means go ahead,just don't cry when one day the country can't hold up to the population stress and burst taking everyone to their death with it.

I can tahan,no problem one.

Can creatures like you tahan or not?

lol. You can ask your leader to close singapore to the outside world lor.

You jokers are really funny.

Maybe this thread should be renamed "hating the government" (as clearly shown by the senseless Raiden Alpha) instead of "PR in Singapore"

To be, a PR can never leech on Singapore. He/she can only contribute. If he/she has nothing to offer, he/she will never be a PR.

And while PR contributes to Singapore, they cannot enjoy all the benefits that Singaporeans demand from the government.

So if a PR works here for years and do not take up citizenship, this is actually the best deal for Singapore. Having contributed to the society and taking none in subsidies.

Only a FOOL would think otherwise and complain. If you are so smart Raiden Alpha, go get yourself elected instead of whining here.

Guest Raiden Alpha

Maybe this thread should be renamed "hating the government" (as clearly shown by the senseless Raiden Alpha) instead of "PR in Singapore"

To be, a PR can never leech on Singapore. He/she can only contribute. If he/she has nothing to offer, he/she will never be a PR.

And while PR contributes to Singapore, they cannot enjoy all the benefits that Singaporeans demand from the government.

So if a PR works here for years and do not take up citizenship, this is actually the best deal for Singapore. Having contributed to the society and taking none in subsidies.

Only a FOOL would think otherwise and complain. If you are so smart Raiden Alpha, go get yourself elected instead of whining here.

I find the joke is on you.

First of all why single me out when there are others in this thread who express similiar sentiments.

A PR can never leech on Singapore,they can only contribute you say.That will depend on what type of PR you are talking about here,are you referring to high net worth corporate genius or the seedy masseurs and common property agents etc that are confer with PR status here?

No one is blindly hating on PRs here if you have bother to read the thread,people are only dissatisfied with unrealistic PRs asking the public on what to do in order to stay in Singapore after they have retired and yet don't want to convert to citizenship.Get the plot right before you yap.

And thanks for the unnecessary suggestion of instigating/spurring people to go run for elections and become a politician if they want to espouse and voice out on nation topics and living issues.

A commoner can do plenty too to raise out opinions on governance issues.

Beside we all know what happen to political dissenters if one choose to be one in this country, the white scums will sue for libel/defamation/bankruptcy and place people under ISD without trial or send them on exile.

Members of the public are not foolish enough to take the word of a anonymous cyber guest and follow it despite how you want to pressent your thoughts out.

Who know what agendas and intentions lie beyond your crafted words.

Guest Old Citizen

There are constraints in resources in every country and every country has their own unique cultures.

Anybody staying in Singapore contributes to the economy and growth.

But the government is simply bringing too much of foreigners into our country this 10 years straining our public resources i.e. housing, healthcare, transport, education while escalating the cost of living.

Do Singapore need foreigners for engineering, banking, sales/marketing, HR? We do not have citizens who can do all these jobs? The government is killing the citizens' livelihood by constantly bringing in more than we need.

We largely appreciate and acknowledge PR's contribution BUT we direct our dissentment towards the government for not knowing the limit and not catering for this burst in population growth by upgrading its infrastructure in anticipation.

PRs are NOT supposed to enjoy the same benefits as citizens. Why people keep repeating this? If PRs have equal benefits as citizens then what is the point of having a country? People just come and go as they please. Plunder and then leave empty shells wherever they go.

lol. You can ask your leader to close singapore to the outside world lor.

So, just because we asked for better control of the immigrants, you suggested closing singapore to the outside world. In that case, since you like immigrants so much, why don't we just give half this country to China and the other half to India free of charge? They don't even have to worry about overstaying anymore, since this is THEIR countries, not ours. Lol.

So, should "everyone" believe in you and your leader?

PR contributing and taking NONE IN SUBSIDIES, you said? Do you know what you are even talking about or not?

Please go f★ yourself.

Perhaps the crux of the issue is PR eligibility test is not stringent enough in Singapore as many here openly acknowledged contributions from certain PRs and not others. In HK for eg, you need to stay for a minimum of 7 years before you are even eligible to submit an application for PR. Once you are a PR, you are truly a PERMANENT resident regardless of whether you have a job. I don't believe Singapore operates the same way - it is more the case of get the people in when needed, offer them PR when needed and then once they have contributed (and not enjoyed any of the benefits the citizens demanded), and when they become old and retired, simply say thank you and please go back to your home country, ie piss off.

每个人都在为生活奔波打拼,离乡到陌生环境国度也并非得已,

如果要怪,就怨开放给大量外劳涌进的人吧,没有政策实行的管制,

才会有如今的问题结果。

错在于领导干部的疏忽和不谨慎,不体恤照顾自己国人的福利的制度。

Edited by snowball

Why don't you march up to the man and tell him all that?

Else you are just another NATO only.

I find the joke is on you.

First of all why single me out when there are others in this thread who express similiar sentiments.

If you really want to know, it is the way you bring your message across.  You are quite hateful actually.

Since you have previously mentioned that u wouldn't bother with any negative comments, so be it.  U asked a question, I make a statement.

Guest Raiden Alpha

Do you find yourself stupid when you write out those words you have addressed to me?

March up to him and tell him?

Every single public appearance he made in the ground community is planed in advance and surrounded by a legion of bodyguards and his cronies supporters from PA.You won't even have a chance to get close to him with the human barrier and shield he have put up around himself in the first place.

You think he is a common jack standing in a street where people can just walk up and approach him or do you think I am his friends or relatives who stay with him?

Use your brain next time.

Telling people like you and reaching out to a wider audience through communication and sharing media platforms to destroy Lhl vote base and cause him to lose his grasp on the nation is a better choice for everyone.

说见就见,谈何容易?

白痴。

Guest Raiden Alpha

If you really want to know, it is the way you bring your message across. You are quite hateful actually.

Since you have previously mentioned that u wouldn't bother with any negative comments, so be it. U asked a question, I make a statement.

The way I choose to bring my message across is only a writing style I choose to adopt and use.

It is not an indicator of my personality and character.

I am not your dad and I am not your friend.

I am not responsible and nor am I under obligation to care for your emotional well being and response to my words.

You are in charge of your own emotional response for your own thinking not me.

Remember that.

Aren't you a NATO yourself? Commoners are entitled to our views and our opinions. If the "man" didn't hear our views and opinions, that's his loss, because it will surely affect him and his party in 2016.

If you really want to know, it is the way you bring your message across. You are quite hateful actually.

Since you have previously mentioned that u wouldn't bother with any negative comments, so be it. U asked a question, I make a statement.

And I assume you have such a wonderful way with words that butterflies flutter around you when you talk? Go take a good look at your own previous posts yourself.

• Guest locked this topic