Male HQ

Remembering Old Saunas in Singapore

bob24246

Guest Fan of Blue Diamond

A huge fan of Blue Diamond ( if i remember its name correctly) at Sultan Textile Centre... That was where it all started for me. There was a friendly, good looking masseuse there too. It closed down, then moved to Jln Klapa with a new name...

I remember blue heaven too! And the tiko ang moh owner. Once I was there on a not so busy night. I went to the front counter to chit chat to him. He was attracted to me, I could tell. As we chatted he started touching my chest, fondling my nipple. His fingers started trailing down to my stomach, belly button then my crotch. He asked me to open my towel and let him take a peak. I did do so and he gave my hard dick and balls a squeeze. 

On 5/7/2020 at 7:24 AM, Guest Fan of Blue Diamond said:

A huge fan of Blue Diamond ( if i remember its name correctly) at Sultan Textile Centre... That was where it all started for me. There was a friendly, good looking masseuse there too. It closed down, then moved to Jln Klapa with a new name...

It’s actually called Diamond. :)

Haha no one mentioned one of the first sauna called “Spartacus”? By the way, anyone know what happened to Max Lim nowadays? Did he still run any sauna? I remembered had fun with him a few times at his own sauna, a very memorable suck from him. :D
**sincere apology, just saw a post mentioned Max has passed. RIP Max. 

Edited by XS.Lin

1st ever was Rairua! Tat place was packed n jammed every Fri n Sat night. Did a nude photo shoot arranged by that specky owner (forgotten his name) with the other patrons. He took a likin on my tanned skin and enDOWNment Lookin back why did i did that😂😂😂 2nd will be One Seven where I met a German guy whom became my partner for 8 yrs till he passed on. I must say sauna scenes back in the early 2000 were more fun!

8 hours ago, XS.Lin said:

Haha no one mentioned one of the first sauna called “Spartacus”? By the way, anyone know what happened to Max Lim nowadays? Did he still run any sauna? I remembered had fun with him a few times at his own sauna, a very memorable suck from him. :D

On 5/3/2020 at 9:17 PM, wilfgene said:

Queen's Resort being his last stint?

A pioneer with Spartacus.

Didn't Diamond opened first?

1 hour ago, mate69 said:

Blue Heaven at the side alley entrance off Jalan Pinang I think?

near Masjid Sultan

quite a small but usually happening place

Funeral parlor close by gave you the creeps or served as back-up? 

Or push to perform exorcism?

Guest Six
On 12/14/2014 at 12:39 AM, bob24246 said:

anybody has pics of old towel club

What's towel club? 

Theme is towel? 

Never been to any gay sauna before so not sure what's so special. Heard is dark and full of sex actions 

Guest memory lane
11 hours ago, trulyluq said:

1st ever was Rairua! Tat place was packed n jammed every Fri n Sat night. Did a nude photo shoot arranged by that specky owner (forgotten his name) with the other patrons. He took a likin on my tanned skin and enDOWNment Lookin back why did i did that😂😂😂 2nd will be One Seven where I met a German guy whom became my partner for 8 yrs till he passed on. I must say sauna scenes back in the early 2000 were more fun!

Spartacus might be earlier according to the gay chronicles of Singapore. It was located at 69 South Bridge road and closed in mid 1999 (opened in 1997).

There is some confusion

Blue Heaven was the one just opposite of Sultan Mosque (was it Jalan Pinang?), it was the one with that huge dark steam sauna on the second floor with the plastic separations. You walked up from the side entrance from North Bridge Road near to the murtabak shop. The sauna was run by a French guy, quite young actually, the other Singaporean or Malaysian chap seemed to be his bf. it was opened Sep 2000. it was closed Nov 2008 at that location.

Note: Next to One Seven (opened in April 2001 , closed in 2015, premises are the current Keybox sauna) Blue Heaven suffered one of the worst Police raids in 2005, 4 guys were arrested. Unfortunately, there is no information whether they were charged or what happened to them.

Would be interesting to know: If one of them is a BW member, let us know whether charges were taken on you. As both One Seven and Blue Heaven were run by Ang mohs it seemed a sting in the eyes of the authorities.

The one at Jalan Klapa nearby only opened some plenty years later at Jalan Klapa and was called Hercules club. it was associated with a Diamond Health club, but the name for the sauna was Hercules. I think it operated from 2010 onwards, maybe earlier. Not sure what happened and when it was closed, only visited it once out of curiosity.

Looks like I should start writing the chronicles. haha

Guest memory lane
3 hours ago, Guest Six said:

What's towel club? 

Theme is towel? 

Never been to any gay sauna before so not sure what's so special. Heard is dark and full of sex actions 

use the search function here and you will find all the info on that sauna...

17 hours ago, XS.Lin said:

I remember Max very well.  In the last years I visited Singapore I stayed always at his Queen's Resort, where he would give me one of his suites at a discount.  I had got tired of other expensive and low-value lodging in SG, and I liked staying in a sauna. I liked his humor, we chatted and I petted his dog.  I have not been in SG since then. I miss him and I have not been able to find out what happened to him, why he passed away.  I wrote quite a few posts defending his place against comments putting it down and bashing his old towels, that although clean, were miserable.  I always enjoyed the walk between his place at Ottram Park and the Absolute sauna in Chinatown and later the Cruise Club.  A few times I walked all the way between his place and the old Keybox sauna.

Edited by Steve5380

• 3 weeks later...
Guest InBangkok

Sorry to say that post seems to be quite old. Spas are presently not permitted to open. Nor are bars. Restaurants have to follow social distancing of 2 meters between diners and no alcohol can be served. There is expected to be some further easing of regulations in mid-June, but bars will definitely not be included at that time.

• 4 months later...
10 hours ago, Kimochi said:

Likely many migrated from cruise club..  Statues much. 

BTW if I'm not wrong the music is still the same from cruise club...  And its been long long time... 

I miss the old "Absolute" days, in its heydays, the hot hunks have both the body and a face to match

40 minutes ago, Justice said:

there are a number of above average looks n physique at HOOK 

when i was barely legal, I went to Absolute and it's not just one or two hotties, it was a party

back in the days of no smartphone, that was the only place to be

I'm not that old, but I can understand why people always miss the good'o days

I havent been to Hook since Cruise is no more, wonder if it's worth going but the SafeEntry procedure scares the shit out of me. One COVID case and the whole world knows I went to the sauna

7 hours ago, fenghou said:

when i was barely legal, I went to Absolute and it's not just one or two hotties, it was a party

I havent been to Hook since Cruise is no more, wonder if it's worth going but the SafeEntry procedure scares the shit out of me. One COVID case and the whole world knows I went to the sauna

8 hours ago, Justice said:

A bigger place, easier to 1m social distance, n ppl wear mask, in another spa, an effeminate plumb guy sat at the locker area , WITH NO MASK, obnoxious personality, I would say he a super regular, a few regular at that spa usually sit at locker area gossiping n insult other customers, who would feel comfy? Who knows who they gossip abt next n he DIDN'T WEAR mask, n that locker area not spacious, what if he cough or sneeze , someone might walk past to go take a shower, right? really that spa has a number of unsavoury personalities,they usually standby to gossip or they waiting to spew words like CB, like some middle aged women at markets, who like that? A Number at hook have pleasant personalities, higher education, nice look nice physique, nice nice nice , i would not think twice on which place, even if paying more, no point cheaper but unpleasant experience, worse, there a risk of COVID19, bigger place is better

I saw many posts, ppl looking for someone to listen to them, maybe some r lonely, maybe their friends r busy, some no close relations with family member, some prefer to chat with aj, well isn't it better to chat in a nice place, network, form new friendships or a shopping , jogging companion, some r good listeners n r pleasant looking , bet some wouldn't mind chatting for hours with them, who knows , there might be MORE, "LIFE IS LIKE A BOX OF .........  ,...................."

On 10/2/2020 at 8:55 PM, fenghou said:

TOWEL CLUB & ABSOLUTE in their golden era days were the best!  

15 hours ago, trulyluq said:

TOWEL CLUB & ABSOLUTE in their golden era days were the best!  

Where are all these hot guys now?

or where/how do hot guys hook up now?

On 10/2/2020 at 7:53 PM, fenghou said:

I miss the old "Absolute" days, in its heydays, the hot hunks have both the body and a face to match

I remember visiting Absolute during my late teens, but I don't have the impression that the average quality of the crowd that time was significantly better? Could it be due to that you improved your physiques over the years hence your standard has risen?

4 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Where are all these hot guys now?

or where/how do hot guys hook up now?

Towel Club opened in 2005 when i was in my mid 30s n now i am in my 50 daddy stage!  😉I cant say the rest for those within my age group but for me, cruising is no longer a priority for me. i shifted to going for a fortnightly massage to unwind and release those urges. 

Edited by trulyluq

1 hour ago, trulyluq said:

Towel Club opened in 2005 when i was in my mid 30s n now i am in my 50 daddy stage!  😉I cant say the rest for those within my age group but for me, cruising is no longer a priority for me. i shifted to going for a fortnightly massage to unwind and release those urges. 

Damn right on that. Age gracefully gonna be the key.  

Totally agree, some mature pussies emit those damn attractive feminine vibes that young pussies aint able to.  Been to hook a few times, the crowd tend to be young with a variety of body types too.  

2 hours ago, dragonfly_y said:

I remember visiting Absolute during my late teens, but I don't have the impression that the average quality of the crowd that time was significantly better? Could it be due to that you improved your physiques over the years hence your standard has risen?

I think the idea of male beauty has morphed over the years. In the past, muscled males are in higher demand. Now, people seems to like skinny lean effeminate Korean type. 

How the perfect male body has changed over 150 years | Daily Mail Online

Singapore gay saunas

Before the 1990s, homosexual and bisexual men in Singapore had to journey all the way to Bangkok, Thailand to experience the pleasures that gay saunas offered. It became more convenient in the early 90s when an establishment called Ryu, meaning 'dragon' in Japanese, opened in Taman Pelangi near the Pelangi Complex in Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia. Hot on the heels of its overwhelming success in attracting huge crowds of both Singaporeans and Malaysians, another gay sauna called New Blue Boys opened at 104 A-B, Jalan Serampang, Taman Pelangi, 80400, Johor Bahru about a year later. Some Singaporean gays would charter taxis in groups to traverse The Causeway and experience what was sorely lacking at home.

Spartacus

Main article: Spartacus (Singapore gay sauna)
Spartacus69SouthBridgeRoada

The first gay sauna in Singapore opened in 1997 by pioneering entrepreneur Max Lim. It was 3 storeys of hedonism, with a daily gay disco on the ground floor fringed by an overhead observation deck, and showers, a gym and sauna above that. It was strict about sex at first, displaying signs which read, "No obscene acts allowed", but the rule was gradually relaxed after everyone realised that the police did not bother to harass its patrons. The sauna could be recognised immediately from its external facade because of its colossal signage and the painted sketches of nude gladiators on its external wall facing South Bridge Road, near its junction with North Canal Road.

SouthBridgeRoad001

It experimented with the novel concept of giving its customers the option of buying shares in the business. It also pioneered services like offering upmarket buffet meals on its premises, but unfortunately, demand for the meals and disco was poor, even though the spa facilities were a resounding success. It closed in late July 1999 due to high rental costs and other factors.

Stroke

Main article: Stroke

StrokeSaunaAd001 AnnSiangRoad002

The successor to Spartacus under the same management, located at 22 Ann Siang Road, it had a spell of success from 2000 to 2002 when it was the only gay sauna in Singapore and also the first to open 24 hours a day, all year round. The opening of other gay saunas to break its monopoly forced its owner to move into newer premises to refocus its strategy two years later.

Rairua

Main article: Rairua

A 4-level sauna along Neil Road, the brainchild of gay activist Alex Au, it opened in 2002 and positioned itself as Singapore's first luxury gay sauna, with prices to match. Its reputation for cleanliness was superlative as employees were tasked to clean the dark rooms every hour and the hot pool was completely drained of water and scrubbed once every few days. The name "Rairua", essentially meaningless, was chosen because it was cheaper to buy a domain name on the Internet for advertisement purposes which was not a popular word or words which would be hotly contested by other entrepreneurs.

Rairua001 Rairua002 RairuaBack001

It pioneered Singapore's first 'skin nights' touted as 'all nude, all floors, all night', a concept that unexpectedly proved so popular amongst supposedly 'conservative' Singaporean gays that such nude nights spread to all saunas within the span of one year and continue to be the major draw for all local gay saunas today. However, initially, patrons were coy and reluctant to parade in the altogether, so "Sarong Nights" were introduced as an aperitif in which semi-transparent plastic sarongs were handed to customers to wear instead of requiring complete nudity outright. As Singaporeans got used to the idea, it became easier to introduce the classily named "Simply Skin" nights in which nudity on all the upper levels was strictly enforced by an employee stationed at the base of the ground floor staircase. Rairua also organised special events like cultural talks, personalised photography [1] and naturist art sessions, and erotic dancing by showerboys. Unfortunately, due to the expiry of its lease and disagreements with its landlord over maintenance, the proprietor and his business partners decided to close it down without any prior announcement on Monday, 25 April 2005[2].

Raw

Main article: Raw

[3] 45 Ann Siang Road #02-02 just behind Maxwell Food Center and a 5-min walk from the Tanjong Pagar MRT station, tel: 6222-2252.

AnnSiangRoad003 RawSauna004 RawSauna005 RawSauna001 RawSauna002 RawSauna003 MaxwellFoodCentre001

The third sauna established by entrepreneur Max Lim in 2003, its competitive advantages are its budget entry fees, 24-hour opening times and a 'barracks' containing individual rooms for those desiring to stay for prolonged periods. It pioneered the concept of theme nights, which later spread to all saunas. This introduced variety and catered to subsegments of the gay crowd such as chubs, foam party lovers, minority races, foreigners and sun worshippers. It also experimented, for a short period, with an a la carte restaurant on the ground floor, a transvestite cabaret and male undergarment/swimming trunk fashion shows. It was the only sauna to proudly hang a rainbow flag, an LGBT icon signifying diversity, outside its main entrance. It is located next to Ann Siang Hill, already a popular cruising ground. Membership is no longer required.

Towel Club

Main article: Towel Club

Former website:[4].

Opened in 2005, it was located at 6 Loke Yew Street, easily accessible via the City Hall MRT station. Tel: 6336-6328.

LokeYewStreet001 TowelClub001 TowelClub002

It had private suites, group areas, a steam room, jacuzzi, hydrojet cool pool, cafe and private sun deck. Open Mondays to Fridays from 4pm and on Saturdays and Sundays from noon. The crowd was a mix of locals, expats and visitors. It was billed as Singapore's largest gay sauna and also the most expensive. Its monthly, hugely popular nude nights were innovatively called "full moon parties". The latter were held once a month on the 15th day of the Chinese lunar calender during which youthful attractive patrons were the greatest attractions. It was consistently ranked as the most popular sauna in Singapore through various polls.

It closed down end 2007. Their website announced that it would open at a new location but never did. One source reported that the owners were negotiating a lease for a unit near Outram MRT Station but the final outcome was uncertain.

V-club/Sphere

Main article: V-Club

[6]

7 Mosque Street, near Chinatown, tel: 6221-2729.

VClubSauna001 VClubSauna002 MosqueStreet001

V-club was a 3-level sauna appealing to a mainly Chinese-educated clientele which opened in the mid-2000s. It has the most nude nights in a week - on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. A unique feature of the sauna was a room next to the showers on the topmost floor which had water-filled mattresses, resembling waterbeds, with a hose nearby, presumably for "water sports". Snacks and drinks could be obtained on the ground floor. After a couple of years of operation, it underwent a facelift and changed its name to Sphere. It closed down on Sunday, 11 March 2007[7] despite a rumoured attempt at keeping the enterprise afloat via an infusion of funds from an investor.

The Box/Shogun

Main article: Shogun (Singapore gay sauna)

ShogunSpa001 ShogunSpa002 TelokAyerStreet001

The Box was Singapore's first cruise club. It was located in a shophouse at 182, Telok Ayer Street, near Tanjong Pagar. The cruise club concept whereby patrons could look for hook-ups clothed within its premises, or in various stages of undress according to their comfort level, proved less popular locally. So it was later converted into a gay sauna, using the new name of Shogun spa. In mid-2006, it shifted its location to another shophouse several units away, from 182 to 176 Telok Ayer Street (telephone number 6221-0367). Shogun was one of the last saunas in Singapore to introduce nude nights. No membership was required.

This incarnation at 176 Telok Ayer Street closed down in mid-2007 and moved yet again to 18A Hong Kong Street, across the road from the Central near Clarke Quay MRT station.

Shogun finally settled at its current location at 51A Pagoda Street.

Blue Heaven

Main article: Blue Heaven

[8]

2 Jalan Pinang, near Bugis Junction outside the CBD. Parking is available at the Golden Landmark Hotel. The Bugis MRT station is closest. From here, it is a 5 min walk in the direction of Sultan Mosque. Tel: 6295-5668.

JalanPinang001 BlueHeaven001 BlueHeaven002 BlueHeaven003

Established by naturalised Frenchman Jacques Marly who was a chef-turned entrepreneur, it had a full gym, a cafe with free Internet access (the first gay sauna to offer such a service), and a large steam room. The entrance fee was inexpensive and no membership was required. It was patronised by a crowd of all nationalities. Nude nights were on Sundays; Thursday nights were for 20-somethings only. Another 4 men were arrested here in April 2005 in a police raid masquerading as a night-time fire-safety inspection. It ceased operating in mid-2005.

Diamond Health Centre

Main article: Diamond Health Centre

05-01, Sultan Plaza, 100 Jalan Sultan near its junction with Beach Road, tel: 6392-2396. It is unique amongst gay saunas in that it charges a standardised entry fee of $19 and that it closes relatively early even on weekends.

SultanPlaza001 SultanPlaza002 SultanPlaza003 DiamondHealthCentre001

It started as a straight sauna offering massage by women masseuses, but gradually gained a predominantly gay, elderly Chinese-educated clientele. This phenomenon of homosexuals eventually forming the majority of patrons in a previously straight establishment is affectionately locally known as "colonisation". It was the first sauna to have a coin-operated karaoke machine on its premises, free buffets and Hollywood/Hong Kong movie screenings, all of which proved to be very popular. It closed in early 2005 for renovations and reopened for business on 29 May 2005 with a relocated entrance but has, since the latter date, been patronised mainly by elderly straight Chinese customers, making it more of a mixed sauna again. Recently Wednesday nights have been promoted for chubs and their chasers, with this phenomenon spilling over into the weekends.

Y Club

Main article: Y Club

Located at 16A, Smith Street in the Tanjong Pagar area, it opened in November 2006, advertising itself mainly through the Trevvy website. It initially billed itself as a no-frills sauna and charged only $6 per entry at all times, with no membership required.

Absolute

Main article: Absolute

On level 2, 32A Pagoda Street, exactly where the now-defunct disco, Niche, used to be. Tel. 6423-1632. Singapore's first sauna to serve alcohol has a spectacular rooftop bar with gorgeous views of surrounding Chinatown. Protected from weather (and prying eyes on their fully nude nights), this is certainly the city's loftiest vantage for spotting new friends. The 5-floor facility is thoroughly modern with contemporary design touches and plenty of spaces to play. Level 2 contains the reception area, lockers, two Internet stations, TV and reading lounge, plus steam room and showers. The floors above feature plenty of private cabins, dark corners, and a maze, all well-stocked with safety supplies and cleaned at regular intervals. Check their website for operating hours and special theme nights including come-as-you-are martini nights, nude nights and free entry nights for youth. Mixed ages and races. Open until dawn on Fridays, Saturday nights and the eve of public holidays. The entrance fee at $26 is the steepest for any gay sauna in Singapore but it also has the most good-looking crowd.

Club One-Seven

Main article: Club One-Seven

An upmarket sauna at 17 Upper Circular Road between Boat Quay and Clarke Quay. The Raffles Place MRT station is closest. Tel: 6223-0017.
OneSeven001 UpperCircularRoad001
Nude nights start on Friday from 7pm till Saturday morning. Saturdays from 7pm to midnight are 'short towel', and after midnight it is 'skin'." It was the first to have an al fresco swimming pool which later had to be covered up, as office workers in the neighbouring building could have a bird's eye-view of the frequently naked men lounging around the poolside. The floor above, which was formerly occupied by a bank, was acquired and renovated at great expense in 2004 which effectively doubled its cruising space. Two men were arrested here by undercover policemen for homosex in 2003. Their penalty was commuted from a potential 2-year jail sentence under section 377 of the Singapore Penal Code to a mere $600 fine under section 20 of the Miscellaneous Offences Act in what may be a landmark ruling in Singapore legal history, as far as gay rights are concerned.

Hercules Club

Main article: Hercules Club

Situated at 4 Jln Klapa, tel. 6296-1018. No membership required. Three floors of facilities include a large hot jacuzzi, a steam room, designated smoking room, large play rooms, a mini cinema-style TV room, two Internet stations, dark maze and a small lounge. Theme nights such as chub and chaser, skin night, young night. Mostly Chinese locals, but everyone is welcome at this friendly, comfortable neighborhood sauna. Open from Sundays to Thursdays, 10:30 am till midnight. On Fridays, Saturdays and on the eve of public holidays, it closes at 2 am. It is run be the former Diamond Health Club management. It now attracts a new group of young people below 30s because they offer a 1-for-1 visit if you fall below that age. Tue skin nites have lately been popular with daddies and sons, chubs, cubs, bears and muscular men. Expect a lot of senior people there. During the weekends from Friday to Sunday, there is a mixed crowd who are keen to use the steam room andjacuzzi. The entry fee is S$15.

Queen Resort

Main article: Queen Resort

Situated at #02-00 325 New Bridge Rd, tel. 6222-2252. It is managed by well known sauna entrepreneur Max Lim and was formerly named Heater Room. It is a large, 5-storey men's complex offering sauna, gym, spa massage. It also includes Queen Resident[14] which provides gay barrack rooms for short- or long-term accommodation. Their "MPG" (Man's Playground) offers two hot jacuzzis, steam, dry sauna, single and sharing bathrooms, event room, private cubicles, "Obstacle Room," resting area, 6 free Net stations, two TV lounges, full-body sun tanning deck, Island Bar serving food and drinks, reading and chat area, and designated smoking areas. CCTV security in locker area. They aim to attract an multi-cultural crowd including western, Chinese, Indian, Malay and Thai men with special event theme nights to match. Max has also set up an online social networking service called Men Meet Men[15],[16] which is a further development from his now-terminated maleculture.com website when he was running his former saunas Stroke and Raw at the Ann Siang area.

Papillon

Open at Keng Chow Road neat Central Mall area. It was a retail shop converted into a sauna. It was opened in around 2005 and ran for about 1 year or more before it closed it's door. If my memories serves me well, the owners should be almost the same owner of Keybox. They seem new in the gay sauna scene. The place is rather big and they had cubicles with folding doors. Also there were a big Jacuzzi pool which can only accommodate like about 4 person and make shift shower facilities. Imagine a retail outlet with lots of glass window panels from many sides pasted with dark wall paper and because they don't have toilet inside, they install a portable loo. Everything seems so make shift for a sauna. The biggest surprise was that they provide every cubicles with hand lotion as lube. I actually told them that lotion and condom don't mix because lotion will destroy the rubber latex. These are basic facts which they are not aware.  I don't know how was their business but I think I only went there like twice and never been back after that. It just wasn't a conducive place to visit as a sauna. Nothing feels rights about that sauna.

1. Spartacus First Gay Sauna (Closed, moved and renamed to Stroke)(since 2000)
2. Stroke (Closed, moved and renamed to RAW)(since 2003)
3. V-Club (Closed, moved and renamed to Sphere)(since 2004)
4. Sphere (since 2006)
5. Rairua (since 2006)
6. Papilion (since 2005)
7. The Box (Changed to new owner, moved and renamed to Shogun)(since 2003)
8. Towel Club @ Sg (Only Towel Club HK still in operation)(since 2008)
9. RAW (Closed, moved and renamed to The Heater Room and now Queen Resort) (since 2008)
10. Diamond (Diamond changed owner and renamed to New Diamond, moved and renamed to Hercules Club)(since 2009)
11. Y Club (since 2010)
12. New Blue Heaven (since 2010)

13. Queens Resort (same boss with now defunct Heater Room, Raw, Stroke & Spartacus) (Closed since May 2014)

14. Absolute (Discussion link), (Discussion link 2), (Discussion link 3(Closed since 1st July 2014)

15. Club One Seven (Disucssion Link) (Closed since Jan 2014)
16. Keybox (Discussion Link(Closed since 22 June 2014) and

For latest updates on Gay Saunas in Singapore visit : http://www.blowingwind.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=71

Saunas stil in Operation

1. Keybox ((Discussion link) (reopen 10 Feb 2015 at Former Club One Seven location)

2. Shogun (Discussion link)

3. Ten Men (Discussion link)

4. Hook Club (Discussion link)

For more info on the location of website and their webpage click here.

For more info on the location of website and their webpage click here.

Few notable Sauna where many gays USED to patronise.
1. Gold Leaf De Sauna (closed) Formally located at Level 6 Parklane Mall
2. Diamond Health Centre (Closed) Formally located at Level 5 Sultan Plaza
3. Hot Spa (still in operation) Roxy Sq

Edited by GachiMuchi

On 6/3/2017 at 7:27 PM, Guest sauna memories said:

1) Stroke - The first ever gay sauna in SG for creating history.  Owner Max Lim had the foresight and guts to do it, even if it was motivated by money and he joined in the fun sometimes (yucks!).  Tons of good memories there with cuties.  As it was the only sauna at that time, all the best horny guys in SG would be gathered in one venue.

2) Rairua - Overall good ambience, good clientele and lots of space to roam around.

3) Blue Heaven - Friendly Caucasian owner (what's his name?) and his cute bf plus other cute staff.  Still recall those nights with the shower boys, who would help you shower and scrub at no extra charges (they wore swim trunks while customers were nude)  Well patronised by lots of students and NSF due to low charges.

4) One Seven - Lots of hot action with hot guys in their prime (at that time).  It was the place to report to every weekend evenings for an all night session.

Stroke was the 2nd sauna by Max, not the first. The First sauna was Spartacus, also by Max.

I have written before about Rairua. Although it was not on a par with the original Babylon or Chakran in Bangkok, it was still a lovely friendly sauna, even though it was quite small and a bit out of the way. Must have visited at least a dozen times over the few years it was open. When skin nights were introduced, there were not so many patrons to start with and many guys were a bit embarrassed about having to take off their towels. But that soon changed. Always had a great time there and was disappointed when it suddenly closed. Can't believe that happened 15 years ago!

Edited by InBangkok

5 hours ago, p-2122 said:

I do missed Absolute and Towel club. Lots of caucasian men and recalled having so much fun. Absolute steam room was pretty fun. 

I was one of these Caucasian men. :)   Lots of cute Asian men and I remember having so much fun !

1 hour ago, amicablyalan said:

Shower boys at Rairua and Blue Heaven!

There were also sower boys at Absolute during their foam parties, upstairs on the terrace.  

3 hours ago, Expired Btm Uncle said:

My first sauna experience was towel club during my uni days. So amazed at all the hunks in the sauna. Obviously i didnt have any fun.

Why didn't you have any fun there?  A young university student, and such nice full moon events....

On 10/6/2020 at 4:45 PM, GachiMuchi said:

7. The Box (Changed to new owner, moved and renamed to Shogun)(since 2003)

I missed The Box, where u can cruise in your office wear. Too bad it was too short lived.

On 10/6/2020 at 4:45 PM, GachiMuchi said:

Few notable Sauna where many gays USED to patronise.
2. Diamond Health Centre (Closed) Formally located at Level 5 Sultan Plaza

Diamond was a LOT of fun on a weekend. I like the vibe - lots of uncles and bears. The setup is like Yurimori now, you soak in the hot pools and cruise EVERYONE that enters the room. But even better, there is a "secret" steam room at the back with no steam - just lots of horny guys on their knees eager to suck any cocks they can get. 

And the massage there was very good! Perfect for stress-relief before going off to dinner at Bugis or Dhoby Ghaut. 

5 hours ago, Guest Remember & Fondle said:

Sigh! I so want to reminisce.

I also reminisce, often with tears in my eyes...    I take it as a sign that I have had my share of pleasure in life, gifts to be treasured.  No one can take this away.  Like we say in Spanish:  "Quien te quita lo bailado!"  (who takes away what you have danced! ) 

Guest Town Club

Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a GIFT. ... That's why it's called the present.

Back in 2007, there was this sauna named Towel Club. It was so popular and happening. Missed that place, wh

whenever I walked into the changing room after booked in, all eyes were on me. Undress immediately so many pair of eyes can’t wait to following me whenever I go. Everybody can wait to eat me up.

Time flies, 2020, now my turn to follow behind those cuties and hunks, hoping and praying that they will look at me.

What goes around comes around.

岁月不饶人,岁月不会因为你的主观愿望而放过你,每个人都会衰老的,青春的容颜终将会消逝,不管你愿不愿意,最终结果都是一样的。当我们有一天突然发现自己体力大不如前,白发暗生,皱纹渐起的时候,就会发出这样的感叹。 所以杜秋娘有诗《金缕衣》:劝君莫惜金缕衣,劝君惜取少年时。

18 minutes ago, Guest Town Club said:

岁月不饶人,岁月不会因为你的主观愿望而放过你,每个人都会衰老的,青春的容颜终将会消逝,不管你愿不愿意,最终结果都是一样的。当我们有一天突然发现自己体力大不如前,白发暗生,皱纹渐起的时候,就会发出这样的感叹。 所以杜秋娘有诗《金缕衣》:劝君莫惜金缕衣,劝君惜取少年时。

This is so defeatist!   There is NOTHING wrong with the fact that HOPEFULLY we all will become old!

Yes, HOPEFULLY.  Because having received such a gift of being incarnated as a human, a man, we should try to make the gift last as long as possible.  The alternative to this is to die young,  to be reincarnated into who knows what other creature!

Instead of lamenting the unforgiveness of time, we should welcome time as an opportunity to make the best use of it as possible.  Cultivate your health,  cultivate your looks, cultivate your spirit.  Instead of taking in all the lustful looks while young and then a little older praying for the looks of the ones ever younger,  you should use your time to make yourself more attractive.  The two years I frequented Towel Club I was in my 50s,  yet I got sufficient looks and had sufficient pleasures.  And youth is not everything!  Now in my 70s life still offers me plenty of happiness.  :thumb:

• 2 months later...
On 10/6/2020 at 4:23 PM, GachiMuchi said:

Singapore gay saunas

Before the 1990s, homosexual and bisexual men in Singapore had to journey all the way to Bangkok, Thailand to experience the pleasures that gay saunas offered. It became more convenient in the early 90s when an establishment called Ryu, meaning 'dragon' in Japanese, opened in Taman Pelangi near the Pelangi Complex in Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia. Hot on the heels of its overwhelming success in attracting huge crowds of both Singaporeans and Malaysians, another gay sauna called New Blue Boys opened at 104 A-B, Jalan Serampang, Taman Pelangi, 80400, Johor Bahru about a year later. Some Singaporean gays would charter taxis in groups to traverse The Causeway and experience what was sorely lacking at home.

Spartacus

Main article: Spartacus (Singapore gay sauna)
Spartacus69SouthBridgeRoada

The first gay sauna in Singapore opened in 1997 by pioneering entrepreneur Max Lim. It was 3 storeys of hedonism, with a daily gay disco on the ground floor fringed by an overhead observation deck, and showers, a gym and sauna above that. It was strict about sex at first, displaying signs which read, "No obscene acts allowed", but the rule was gradually relaxed after everyone realised that the police did not bother to harass its patrons. The sauna could be recognised immediately from its external facade because of its colossal signage and the painted sketches of nude gladiators on its external wall facing South Bridge Road, near its junction with North Canal Road.

SouthBridgeRoad001

It experimented with the novel concept of giving its customers the option of buying shares in the business. It also pioneered services like offering upmarket buffet meals on its premises, but unfortunately, demand for the meals and disco was poor, even though the spa facilities were a resounding success. It closed in late July 1999 due to high rental costs and other factors.

Stroke

Main article: Stroke

StrokeSaunaAd001 AnnSiangRoad002

The successor to Spartacus under the same management, located at 22 Ann Siang Road, it had a spell of success from 2000 to 2002 when it was the only gay sauna in Singapore and also the first to open 24 hours a day, all year round. The opening of other gay saunas to break its monopoly forced its owner to move into newer premises to refocus its strategy two years later.

Rairua

Main article: Rairua

A 4-level sauna along Neil Road, the brainchild of gay activist Alex Au, it opened in 2002 and positioned itself as Singapore's first luxury gay sauna, with prices to match. Its reputation for cleanliness was superlative as employees were tasked to clean the dark rooms every hour and the hot pool was completely drained of water and scrubbed once every few days. The name "Rairua", essentially meaningless, was chosen because it was cheaper to buy a domain name on the Internet for advertisement purposes which was not a popular word or words which would be hotly contested by other entrepreneurs.

Rairua001 Rairua002 RairuaBack001

It pioneered Singapore's first 'skin nights' touted as 'all nude, all floors, all night', a concept that unexpectedly proved so popular amongst supposedly 'conservative' Singaporean gays that such nude nights spread to all saunas within the span of one year and continue to be the major draw for all local gay saunas today. However, initially, patrons were coy and reluctant to parade in the altogether, so "Sarong Nights" were introduced as an aperitif in which semi-transparent plastic sarongs were handed to customers to wear instead of requiring complete nudity outright. As Singaporeans got used to the idea, it became easier to introduce the classily named "Simply Skin" nights in which nudity on all the upper levels was strictly enforced by an employee stationed at the base of the ground floor staircase. Rairua also organised special events like cultural talks, personalised photography [1] and naturist art sessions, and erotic dancing by showerboys. Unfortunately, due to the expiry of its lease and disagreements with its landlord over maintenance, the proprietor and his business partners decided to close it down without any prior announcement on Monday, 25 April 2005[2].

Raw

Main article: Raw

[3] 45 Ann Siang Road #02-02 just behind Maxwell Food Center and a 5-min walk from the Tanjong Pagar MRT station, tel: 6222-2252.

AnnSiangRoad003 RawSauna004 RawSauna005 RawSauna001 RawSauna002 RawSauna003 MaxwellFoodCentre001

The third sauna established by entrepreneur Max Lim in 2003, its competitive advantages are its budget entry fees, 24-hour opening times and a 'barracks' containing individual rooms for those desiring to stay for prolonged periods. It pioneered the concept of theme nights, which later spread to all saunas. This introduced variety and catered to subsegments of the gay crowd such as chubs, foam party lovers, minority races, foreigners and sun worshippers. It also experimented, for a short period, with an a la carte restaurant on the ground floor, a transvestite cabaret and male undergarment/swimming trunk fashion shows. It was the only sauna to proudly hang a rainbow flag, an LGBT icon signifying diversity, outside its main entrance. It is located next to Ann Siang Hill, already a popular cruising ground. Membership is no longer required.

Towel Club

Main article: Towel Club

Former website:[4].

Opened in 2005, it was located at 6 Loke Yew Street, easily accessible via the City Hall MRT station. Tel: 6336-6328.

LokeYewStreet001 TowelClub001 TowelClub002

It had private suites, group areas, a steam room, jacuzzi, hydrojet cool pool, cafe and private sun deck. Open Mondays to Fridays from 4pm and on Saturdays and Sundays from noon. The crowd was a mix of locals, expats and visitors. It was billed as Singapore's largest gay sauna and also the most expensive. Its monthly, hugely popular nude nights were innovatively called "full moon parties". The latter were held once a month on the 15th day of the Chinese lunar calender during which youthful attractive patrons were the greatest attractions. It was consistently ranked as the most popular sauna in Singapore through various polls.

It closed down end 2007. Their website announced that it would open at a new location but never did. One source reported that the owners were negotiating a lease for a unit near Outram MRT Station but the final outcome was uncertain.

V-club/Sphere

Main article: V-Club

[6]

7 Mosque Street, near Chinatown, tel: 6221-2729.

VClubSauna001 VClubSauna002 MosqueStreet001

V-club was a 3-level sauna appealing to a mainly Chinese-educated clientele which opened in the mid-2000s. It has the most nude nights in a week - on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. A unique feature of the sauna was a room next to the showers on the topmost floor which had water-filled mattresses, resembling waterbeds, with a hose nearby, presumably for "water sports". Snacks and drinks could be obtained on the ground floor. After a couple of years of operation, it underwent a facelift and changed its name to Sphere. It closed down on Sunday, 11 March 2007[7] despite a rumoured attempt at keeping the enterprise afloat via an infusion of funds from an investor.

The Box/Shogun

Main article: Shogun (Singapore gay sauna)

ShogunSpa001 ShogunSpa002 TelokAyerStreet001

The Box was Singapore's first cruise club. It was located in a shophouse at 182, Telok Ayer Street, near Tanjong Pagar. The cruise club concept whereby patrons could look for hook-ups clothed within its premises, or in various stages of undress according to their comfort level, proved less popular locally. So it was later converted into a gay sauna, using the new name of Shogun spa. In mid-2006, it shifted its location to another shophouse several units away, from 182 to 176 Telok Ayer Street (telephone number 6221-0367). Shogun was one of the last saunas in Singapore to introduce nude nights. No membership was required.

This incarnation at 176 Telok Ayer Street closed down in mid-2007 and moved yet again to 18A Hong Kong Street, across the road from the Central near Clarke Quay MRT station.

Shogun finally settled at its current location at 51A Pagoda Street.

Blue Heaven

Main article: Blue Heaven

[8]

2 Jalan Pinang, near Bugis Junction outside the CBD. Parking is available at the Golden Landmark Hotel. The Bugis MRT station is closest. From here, it is a 5 min walk in the direction of Sultan Mosque. Tel: 6295-5668.

JalanPinang001 BlueHeaven001 BlueHeaven002 BlueHeaven003

Established by naturalised Frenchman Jacques Marly who was a chef-turned entrepreneur, it had a full gym, a cafe with free Internet access (the first gay sauna to offer such a service), and a large steam room. The entrance fee was inexpensive and no membership was required. It was patronised by a crowd of all nationalities. Nude nights were on Sundays; Thursday nights were for 20-somethings only. Another 4 men were arrested here in April 2005 in a police raid masquerading as a night-time fire-safety inspection. It ceased operating in mid-2005.

Diamond Health Centre

Main article: Diamond Health Centre

05-01, Sultan Plaza, 100 Jalan Sultan near its junction with Beach Road, tel: 6392-2396. It is unique amongst gay saunas in that it charges a standardised entry fee of $19 and that it closes relatively early even on weekends.

SultanPlaza001 SultanPlaza002 SultanPlaza003 DiamondHealthCentre001

It started as a straight sauna offering massage by women masseuses, but gradually gained a predominantly gay, elderly Chinese-educated clientele. This phenomenon of homosexuals eventually forming the majority of patrons in a previously straight establishment is affectionately locally known as "colonisation". It was the first sauna to have a coin-operated karaoke machine on its premises, free buffets and Hollywood/Hong Kong movie screenings, all of which proved to be very popular. It closed in early 2005 for renovations and reopened for business on 29 May 2005 with a relocated entrance but has, since the latter date, been patronised mainly by elderly straight Chinese customers, making it more of a mixed sauna again. Recently Wednesday nights have been promoted for chubs and their chasers, with this phenomenon spilling over into the weekends.

Y Club

Main article: Y Club

Located at 16A, Smith Street in the Tanjong Pagar area, it opened in November 2006, advertising itself mainly through the Trevvy website. It initially billed itself as a no-frills sauna and charged only $6 per entry at all times, with no membership required.

Absolute

Main article: Absolute

On level 2, 32A Pagoda Street, exactly where the now-defunct disco, Niche, used to be. Tel. 6423-1632. Singapore's first sauna to serve alcohol has a spectacular rooftop bar with gorgeous views of surrounding Chinatown. Protected from weather (and prying eyes on their fully nude nights), this is certainly the city's loftiest vantage for spotting new friends. The 5-floor facility is thoroughly modern with contemporary design touches and plenty of spaces to play. Level 2 contains the reception area, lockers, two Internet stations, TV and reading lounge, plus steam room and showers. The floors above feature plenty of private cabins, dark corners, and a maze, all well-stocked with safety supplies and cleaned at regular intervals. Check their website for operating hours and special theme nights including come-as-you-are martini nights, nude nights and free entry nights for youth. Mixed ages and races. Open until dawn on Fridays, Saturday nights and the eve of public holidays. The entrance fee at $26 is the steepest for any gay sauna in Singapore but it also has the most good-looking crowd.

Club One-Seven

Main article: Club One-Seven

An upmarket sauna at 17 Upper Circular Road between Boat Quay and Clarke Quay. The Raffles Place MRT station is closest. Tel: 6223-0017.
OneSeven001 UpperCircularRoad001
Nude nights start on Friday from 7pm till Saturday morning. Saturdays from 7pm to midnight are 'short towel', and after midnight it is 'skin'." It was the first to have an al fresco swimming pool which later had to be covered up, as office workers in the neighbouring building could have a bird's eye-view of the frequently naked men lounging around the poolside. The floor above, which was formerly occupied by a bank, was acquired and renovated at great expense in 2004 which effectively doubled its cruising space. Two men were arrested here by undercover policemen for homosex in 2003. Their penalty was commuted from a potential 2-year jail sentence under section 377 of the Singapore Penal Code to a mere $600 fine under section 20 of the Miscellaneous Offences Act in what may be a landmark ruling in Singapore legal history, as far as gay rights are concerned.

Hercules Club

Main article: Hercules Club

Situated at 4 Jln Klapa, tel. 6296-1018. No membership required. Three floors of facilities include a large hot jacuzzi, a steam room, designated smoking room, large play rooms, a mini cinema-style TV room, two Internet stations, dark maze and a small lounge. Theme nights such as chub and chaser, skin night, young night. Mostly Chinese locals, but everyone is welcome at this friendly, comfortable neighborhood sauna. Open from Sundays to Thursdays, 10:30 am till midnight. On Fridays, Saturdays and on the eve of public holidays, it closes at 2 am. It is run be the former Diamond Health Club management. It now attracts a new group of young people below 30s because they offer a 1-for-1 visit if you fall below that age. Tue skin nites have lately been popular with daddies and sons, chubs, cubs, bears and muscular men. Expect a lot of senior people there. During the weekends from Friday to Sunday, there is a mixed crowd who are keen to use the steam room andjacuzzi. The entry fee is S$15.

Queen Resort

Main article: Queen Resort

Situated at #02-00 325 New Bridge Rd, tel. 6222-2252. It is managed by well known sauna entrepreneur Max Lim and was formerly named Heater Room. It is a large, 5-storey men's complex offering sauna, gym, spa massage. It also includes Queen Resident[14] which provides gay barrack rooms for short- or long-term accommodation. Their "MPG" (Man's Playground) offers two hot jacuzzis, steam, dry sauna, single and sharing bathrooms, event room, private cubicles, "Obstacle Room," resting area, 6 free Net stations, two TV lounges, full-body sun tanning deck, Island Bar serving food and drinks, reading and chat area, and designated smoking areas. CCTV security in locker area. They aim to attract an multi-cultural crowd including western, Chinese, Indian, Malay and Thai men with special event theme nights to match. Max has also set up an online social networking service called Men Meet Men[15],[16] which is a further development from his now-terminated maleculture.com website when he was running his former saunas Stroke and Raw at the Ann Siang area.

Papillon

Open at Keng Chow Road neat Central Mall area. It was a retail shop converted into a sauna. It was opened in around 2005 and ran for about 1 year or more before it closed it's door. If my memories serves me well, the owners should be almost the same owner of Keybox. They seem new in the gay sauna scene. The place is rather big and they had cubicles with folding doors. Also there were a big Jacuzzi pool which can only accommodate like about 4 person and make shift shower facilities. Imagine a retail outlet with lots of glass window panels from many sides pasted with dark wall paper and because they don't have toilet inside, they install a portable loo. Everything seems so make shift for a sauna. The biggest surprise was that they provide every cubicles with hand lotion as lube. I actually told them that lotion and condom don't mix because lotion will destroy the rubber latex. These are basic facts which they are not aware.  I don't know how was their business but I think I only went there like twice and never been back after that. It just wasn't a conducive place to visit as a sauna. Nothing feels rights about that sauna.

A comprehensive write-up. Appreciate your effort and time. Wish you and the staff of management of Blowing Wind a Merry Christmas!  

3 hours ago, neuwave said:

Damn Absolute was the best IMHO

I kind of share your opinion

Towel Club was the most intense but had too short of a life. 

Absolute was great, especially the first years,  I remember the excitement walking up those stairs... seeing nice candy in the locker room,  waiting for a free shower trying to repress erection,... short cruise in the steam room (too hot),... up the half stair case to find action,... recover... walking up the stairs to the bigger cruise floor,...  recover...  walking up to the terrace to get a drink and fresh air,  down again and sit at a computer and watch the crowd...  etc...  and another round before showering, dressing and leaving with a smile of satisfaction.     

• G_M changed the title to Remembering Old Saunas in Singapore
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.