Male HQ

For The Gay Man Who Reads ...

What was the last book you read? Tell us about it - what did you like (or dislike) about it?

Doesn't have to have gay content.

The last book I read was Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London (released as Midnight Riot in the US, I think). Great urban fantasy novel about Peter Grant, a London bobby (policeman) who discovers that he has an affinity for magic one night when he takes testimony from a witness to a murder ... who turns out to be a ghost. He is conscripted into becoming an apprentice wizard, the only other member of a division of the force dedicated to solving otherworldly crime, starting with the murder.

Funny and thrilling by turns, this book is light reading, which suits me just fine. None of that Twilight nonsense, and simply good fun, with a couple of twists in the tale that caught me by surprise. Not high literature, but not everything has to be.

Your turn?

The last book I recall enjoying (and have no reservations in proposing to anyone to give it a go) was Christopher Isherwood's magnum opus "A Single Man".

The novel deals with a day in the life of George Falconer, a British-born middle-aged closeted gay man teaching at a University in Los Angeles and how he tries to look for meaning in life after the loss of his lover Jim. Amidst the threat of the Cold War and the general repression of homosexuals during the sixties (which gives the novel an added sense of realism) George's every thought and reaction to his condition and environment, always interspersed by memories of Jim, is so brilliantly expressed and the many understated revelations brought out by it made the reading of this novel very personal to me.

I came to this novel, not having heard of Christopher Isherwood to begin with, through the recent 2009 film of the same title that is based on the novel starring Colin Firth as George. I highly recommend anyone reading this to catch the movie as well.

The Inheritance by Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm. It's a lighthearted collection of short stories, and some of these tales I find pretty immersive. It's a nice book to bring along on a trip to while away some time; perfect if you want some material to read but cannot commit to finishing a whole novel in one sitting.

Hobb is a great storyteller, and the stories she spins from fantasy to the wretched are well depicted and passionate. 

The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova.  The book's about vampires.  After this, you will find the Twilight series utter crap.

Edited by ejszaka

The last book I read was Maureen F. McHugh's China Mountain Zhang for my book club. A science fiction book set in the distant future wherein China is the dominant country, with four stories loosely intertwined. There are gay characters in the book. Overall I enjoyed the book.

This was slightly more than six months ago. I have over 40 books just piling up in my bookshelves (oops).

I' recovering from reading Keigo Higashino's Malice.

Higashino has a knack for convoluted plots, and has a sparse, deceptively easy to read style. He turns the mystery novel on its head again in Malice, as he did in both The Devotion of Suspect X as well as Salvafion of a Saint, the previous two books of his that I read. I'm still not used to a mystery where I know who did it almost from the start. Higashino does a brilliant job of dropping clues and revealing bits and pieces, and when the entire picture emerges at the end, it turns out that things were never quite what I thought they were at the beginning.

The base story of Malice is quite simple. Children's writer, Nonoguchi, visits his friend Hidaka, also a writer, a couple of days before the latter departs for Canada with his new wife, Rie. They have a conversation, which is interrupted by Ms Fujio, the sister of a man whose death and life featured prominently in Hidaka's latest novel, and although the details were thinly veiled, Fujio was not portrayed in a very good light. Nonoguchi leaves them to their discussion - Ms Fujio wants the book rewritten - and goes home to a meeting with his publisher. He gets a terse call from Hidaka, asking him to come over, which he does after his meeting. When he gets to Hidaka's, the house is empty and locked up. He calls Rie, who has gone ahead to the hotel where the couple are staying as they prepare for their departure, thinking that Hidaka might be there. He isn't, and Rie comes over with her spare key - when she lets Nonoguchi into the house, they expore it together and find Hidaka's body in his office.

But that's only the beginning.

I finished the novel about half an hour ago, and I'm still chilled to the bone.

• 3 months later...

the last book I read was susan sontag's on photography. 

its non-fiction and it discusses how photography is used as a tool, an expression, and an art form. 

the current book I'm reading is also non-fiction and it is on Pranayama, on how the yogic pranayama practice can benefit the constitutions of our body. 

trigger warning - neil gaiman.

dont really care for his novels (american gods and stardust were *gasp* boring) but his short stories are always good.

a tad similar to his other collection, smoke & mirrors, but still worth the buy/read.

He's wonderful in the graphic novel The Sandman, where he writes about The Endless with Dream as the focal character. 

In this series, the reader is constantly in the realm of the constant and past as he weaves in stories of Shakespeare and various historical & cultural moments in our time.

I read stardust and I liked it, I've also read Anansi boys and its good too..  

Lately r mostly religious and metaphyics.  The last novel would be Jilll Copper's Polo some years ago.  One that I have not finish was Earnest Hemmingway "For Whom The Bell Tolls"

For the gay man who reads science fiction: Stephen Baxter's mind-blowing novels! Just finished Moonseed...a little slower-paced than some of his other works, but as is his style, the idea is refreshing and intriguing... luv the surprise endings! :thumb:

Song of Archilles is a great read, especially for hopeless romantics.

*Spoiler alert*

Classic love story but with a gay twist: plain boy meets popular boy, popular boy takes plain boy under his care, popular boy's mother rejects relationship and forces him into a straight marriage, love is consummated in a dark cave, both boys go to war, plain boy is killed and popular boy goes out to seek revenge, etc. etc. Poignant ending as well.

Penguins aside, you can find the book in the National Library. Adult section of course. 

Edited by MisterD

Guest 72%dark

The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova. The book's about vampires. After this, you will find the Twilight series utter crap.

"After this"?? hahaha (*looks nervously over shoulder for lynch mob of twihards massing in the distance*)

Song of Archilles is a great read, especially for hopeless romantics. Classic love story but with a gay twist: .

You should probably preface this with a spoiler alert. But yes! I second the recommendation. Its depiction of the affection between the characters manages to be moving without being maudlin. The prose is on the lyrical side without being overwrought.

--

Incidentally/interestingly, though Madeline Miller's retelling concentrates for a large part on love, the story of Achilles is also one of rage, as in the opening line of the Iliad, “Sing, goddess, the anger of Peleus’ son Achilleus…”

Edited by 72%dark

"After this"?? hahaha (*looks nervously over shoulder for lynch mob of twihards massing in the distance*)

You should probably preface this with a spoiler alert. But yes! I second the recommendation. Its depiction of the affection between the characters manages to be moving without being maudlin. The prose is on the lyrical side without being overwrought.

--

Incidentally/interestingly, though Madeline Miller's retelling concentrates for a large part on love, the story of Achilles is also one of rage, as in the opening line of the Iliad, “Sing, goddess, the anger of Peleus’ son Achilleus…”

Sorry, the Iliad is too dense for me. I will need a character guide to figure out what is happening. 

• 4 weeks later...

Fascinating responses!  I'm an avid reader as well and currently, I am reading classics that I should have read in my youth.  Madame Bovary is first up!

Are any of you lads interested in starting up a book group?  i.e. Meet once every 3- 4 weeks to discuss a book?

Book Group sound very interesting, never participate before and are curious about it.

Wondering if it possible to have an online or virtual version.

Just a thought.

It's really fun.  

Typically, a book club comprises of a group of 5-8.  Each person gets a turn to pick a book and guides discussions - usually over wine and nibbles.  They are great fun.  I was in one back in Australia and it's a good way to stimulate the mind and to meet like-minded folks.

It's really fun.  

Typically, a book club comprises of a group of 5-8.  Each person gets a turn to pick a book and guides discussions - usually over wine and nibbles.  They are great fun.  I was in one back in Australia and it's a good way to stimulate the mind and to meet like-minded folks.

So It should be meaningless to do it online.  It would have taken most of the fun away....

• 4 weeks later...

What was the last book you read? Tell us about it - what did you like (or dislike) about it?

Doesn't have to have gay content.

The last book I read was Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London (released as Midnight Riot in the US, I think). Great urban fantasy novel about Peter Grant, a London bobby (policeman) who discovers that he has an affinity for magic one night when he takes testimony from a witness to a murder ... who turns out to be a ghost. He is conscripted into becoming an apprentice wizard, the only other member of a division of the force dedicated to solving otherworldly crime, starting with the murder.

Funny and thrilling by turns, this book is light reading, which suits me just fine. None of that Twilight nonsense, and simply good fun, with a couple of twists in the tale that caught me by surprise. Not high literature, but not everything has to be.

Your turn?

oh gosh I read this too!

Guest hello.pseudo

Tony Parson's Man and Boy.

Really good book that shows the fragility of our happiness and strength to move on with life. 

His books are full of deep issues - divorce, death, family, money, etc.

:)  

I'm currently at a Isaac Asimov phase. Started his Foundation Series, currently continuing his Robot Series. Now reading "The Naked Sun". I have already borrowed the rest of his series and will commence binge-reading. :D

I'm currently at a Isaac Asimov phase. Started his Foundation Series, currently continuing his Robot Series. Now reading "The Naked Sun". I have already borrowed the rest of his series and will commence binge-reading. :D

Ooooh, Foundation is one of the coolest series ever! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

There is actually an existing book club if you guys are interested? We do LGBT literature and movies; meeting is held every third Thursday of the month. :)

I put my personal reading list on hold. There are 60 books waiting to be read.  :lol:

A book club sounds interesting! Though I would prefer a club focused on books in general, rather than just LGBT ones. 

Marcus Zusak - The Book Thief. I enjoyed the creative writing style and the framing of the story. For those who are familiar with Germany in the WW2 period, the plot becomes alive as it fits nicely into the factual settings.

Has anyone read 'Go set a watchman'?

• 2 weeks later...

The Inheritance by Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm. It's a lighthearted collection of short stories, and some of these tales I find pretty immersive. It's a nice book to bring along on a trip to while away some time; perfect if you want some material to read but cannot commit to finishing a whole novel in one sitting.

Hobb is a great storyteller, and the stories she spins from fantasy to the wretched are well depicted and passionate.

I love the inheritance too! A easy pick-up for anyone who isn't able to blow through a full novel. Love the stories that explore gray areas in ethics

The very depressing book The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Honestly the movie adaption did the book no justice, but the book itself is filled with narratives that make you just be very spiteful of the villain

93371-mariah-carey-letting-go-gif-jtwc.g

Freelance Reviewer Of Anything

Mariah Carey Gif Spammer

Probably the person you can talk to about anything x

60!!!

65, at latest count :x I just bought 3 graphic novels recently :lol:

A book club sounds interesting! Though I would prefer a club focused on books in general, rather than just LGBT ones. 

Yeah I don't mind that as well. If we can garner enough interest from here we could start one? :)

left hand of darkness by ursula k. le guin. a gift from my bestie. although a sci-fi novel, it focuses a lot on the human condition through juxtaposition of two diametrically different civilisations on the same planet, living under the same circumstances. and of course, like most good sci-fi, religion plays a huge role. i always wonder why...

We did this for the book club a couple of year back. Did you like it, sayang?

The last book I recall enjoying (and have no reservations in proposing to anyone to give it a go) was Christopher Isherwood's magnum opus "A Single Man".

The novel deals with a day in the life of George Falconer, a British-born middle-aged closeted gay man teaching at a University in Los Angeles and how he tries to look for meaning in life after the loss of his lover Jim. Amidst the threat of the Cold War and the general repression of homosexuals during the sixties (which gives the novel an added sense of realism) George's every thought and reaction to his condition and environment, always interspersed by memories of Jim, is so brilliantly expressed and the many understated revelations brought out by it made the reading of this novel very personal to me.

I came to this novel, not having heard of Christopher Isherwood to begin with, through the recent 2009 film of the same title that is based on the novel starring Colin Firth as George. I highly recommend anyone reading this to catch the movie as well.

aiyo, i watch the film instead of reading the novel..

keen to read the novel, let exchange for another novel with u...pm me.

my review is ....being gay is fucking lonely,my own word "awkwardly quiet dry"

My awkwardly quiet dry :

Back to my room,

On the switch to see nobody

Off it to ensure no one around

Flip on the night light

to chase off the lonely sound

On my music

to chase off the quiet room

I force myself to close eye

but the sleep mode is not there

I force to drink a glass of milk

but lazy to walk to the loneliness fridge

i want to sleep and never wake up

to my dreamland

whereby happy is loud sound

whereby sky is bright

where is my utopia ??????

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone read The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt? It won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction last year. Im not usually into fiction n this is a long book. But I could not put it down. Fascinating n beautifully written story of a young boy and a painting which r caught up in a whole series of surprising events after the boy n his mother r surprised when visiting an art gallery. Only the ending seems slightly contrived - but still a great read.

The narrow road to the north. Fairly chilling.

Also trying to get through Ulysee but it's a Lil too dense. Rivers of London has a new book in the series!

Well Gailman style is very story driven so not everyone likes that. My friend used to say that his novels feel almost like graphic novels.

Been tempted to read the goldfinch!

Edited by htw89

Cogito ergo sum - I think therefore I am.

reading lovecraft's call of cthulu and other stories. i must say there are some creepy shit in there. i'm beginning to understand the meaning behind 'lovecraftian horror'...

I'm not a fan of horror books but I've read "Shadow over Innsmouth" by Lovecraft too. And I was so spooked by it I haven't picked up another horror book since. But Lovecraft is on my list after Murdoch, Lawrence, Fitzgerald and Woolf.

shadow over innsmouth is freaky. now i know where all these writers get their inspiration from. :P i remember reading the book on the bus, and i jumped when a guy's sleeve moved just outside the periphery of my vision. and it was in broad daylight...

Yeah exactly, Lovecraft isn't for the faint-hearted. I've also read this one called "The House of Leaves". It's not as scary as Lovecraft but it's still pretty spooky. Don't read it at night

Yeah exactly, Lovecraft isn't for the faint-hearted. I've also read this one called "The House of Leaves". It's not as scary as Lovecraft but it's still pretty spooky. Don't read it at night

Is that the one by Mark Z. Danielewski? I read the synopsis and it sounds very fascinating. The writing style is like Bram Stoker's Dracula, yes?

Is that the one by Mark Z. Danielewski? I read the synopsis and it sounds very fascinating. The writing style is like Bram Stoker's Dracula, yes?

Yup, that's the one. Writing style and format are both interesting. Some parts are like a diary and other parts like a newspaper and there are some pages where it's just one random word