Male HQ

France: Brief Travelling Info On Nice

tic-toc

Disclaimer: These are the personal opinion of the writer. Readers are advised to interpret it with own discretion.

Although without the magnitude and grandeur of Paris, Nice (pronounced as Niece)still stands as a jewel on its own. Located in the southern part of France, Nice shares the crystal blue coastline (cote d’Azur) with some famous European cities/towns like Barcelona and Cannes (the tiny city that is made famous by its annual film festival)

People like me, who are used to sea water in Sentosa and the Singapore river will marvel at the alluring and stunning blue colour of the sea water there. On a sunny day, it shares the spectacle together with the sky above. It is not photo shop. It is real. It convinces you that nature is really worth preserving.

Nice is the vacation destination for many French as well as Northern Europeans. Hotels are relatively cheap. The beaches, which is made up of pebbles instead of sand, are free for all. Its mild winter only lasts for 2 – 3 months. Each year they hold interesting events like Nice Jazz Festival. Not to forget about the annual sports events like Triathlon, semi-marathons.

The common myth of rude Parisans is not to be found here. (not that I have ever encountered any real negative experience in Paris during those numerous trips) People are actually friendly and the sales assistants are genuinely helpful.

The town is divided into 2 parts. The old Nice houses town council, churches, small place (squares), narrow streets and art deco facades buildings. It is closer to the seaside with many restaurants, bars and side walk cafes. The “not so old” Nice, you can find many shops, departments stores and hotels. If you consider the suburban and rural area, Nice is a big city. In fact, it is the 5th largest city in France.

Places to visit

1) The Colline du Chateau (Castle Hill) overlooks the city of Nice France. It has a wonderful panoramic view of Nice and the French Rivera. There is an old fort and a cemetery situated on the hilltop.

2) Promenade des Anglais, Quai des Etats Unis = It is the few km of walkway by the sea. On Sundays, bicyclists, babystrollers, skateboarders and whole families can be seen out for a stroll along the Promenade. During summer, lots of guys without shirts. Best place for people watching and to drool.

3) Grasse = is the town where the best perfumes were made in the past. (Patrick Suskind’s best seller and recent film “Perfume” is based on this town). It is an hour’s bus ride from the central bus interchange. There are museums of perfume and lots of perfume, essence soaps to be purchased.

4) Cannes = just 20 minutes of train ride away. There you can understand why Gong Li and Wong Kar Wai like to attend the Cannes film festival.

5) St Paul de Vence = about an hour’s bus ride from Nice. A step inside the enchanting walls of St Paul de Vence quickly transports you to the medieval time. A virtual maze of little paths and galleries, it is the first and foremost a city of the arts : paintings, handcrafts etc.

Places of historical interest

Right in the Nice central, there aren’t many actually. I suggest the Russian orthodox cathedral, built in 1859. It is now one of the national monument of France.

Edited by tic-toc

If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.

Men of Nice and its gay men

First of all, many of them speak English. “mon Cherie” may sounds charming but I still prefer to hear its English version “my dear”. Thank you.

You might also have problem differentiating the locals from the European tourists. Most of them are polite and friendly. They do not hesitate to show you around the town. They are well tanned and love good food and wine. Their face features are more aristocratic than the Italians. Their dress sense may be a little....French. Do remember to push back up your jaw when you see them dressed in pink, yellow or white pants. However when they go to the clubs or bars, their dressing is usually quite subdue. i.e. no sequins, no tank tops, no colourful prints T-shirts. For that reason, it is quite difficult to individualize the straights from the gays in the street. So many men but don’t know which could be touched.

The French are also known for their pansexuality (sometimes referred to as omnisexuality); their attraction towards a person is more on the aesthetic, personality other than the gender identity. A high percentage of the population is potentially bisexual.

My experience tells me that the French men don’t just have sex, they make love. Even in that brief 10 – 15 minutes’ encounter in sauna or dark room, they transmit love and romance. Finally, the “IT” question again. Size. Like men everywhere in the world, there are big ones as well as tiny weenie ones. I encounter mostly average sizes.

Beur = is a French slang referring to the descendant of immigrants of North African origin. The 2nd and 3rd generation boys, nurtured by contemporary culture and better food, is the new face / sexual creature for admiration.

Places of gay interest

Most gay establishments are situated within walking distance of the old part of the city. There is no problem accessing them by foot. Being openly gay will not bring you any problem. But I have not seen any gay couples holding hands in the public nor transvestites in the city.

Unlike in Singapore or in Italy, there is no need for membership cards to visit the saunas or cruising dark rooms.

Clubs

1) Blue boy = http://www.blueboy.fr/

They have special theme during the weekends. Crowd is down to earth and is over 25 years of age. Commercial music. Dark room.

2) Le Klub = Younger crowd. Entrance during weekdays is only Euro 1.00(SGD2.00) drinks not included. No dark room. Techno music. 2 levels but small.

Edited by tic-toc

Sauna

Saunas operate from 14.00 – 21.00pm. It’s a wonder why they close at such an early hour.

1) Sauna La Bains Douches, 7 rue Guberatis

3 levels. Small cabin rooms without tissue paper. Along the corridor, there are big jars with condoms and packets of lubricants.

2) Le 7 Sauna, 7, rue Foncet (near to Sauna La Bains Douches)

The place desperately needs a renovation. It is 70s style. Small and dirty. Not recommended.

3) Sauna De Chateau, 17 Rue des Ponchettes

Don’t bother! a big disappointment. Not frequented by anybody. Woman at the counter. Old, small, dirty.... worse sauna that I have ever been.

Cruising clubs

Le Block www.leblock.com = the deco hints that it is a place for leather and bikers. Small dark room in level 2.

Traxxx = (inside the Traxx bar). Frequented by younger crowd. Few cubicles.

Bars

1) Le six = central. Live music. Resident female singer who always start the night with the song “I believe I can fly”. Don’t know why. Quite popular on Thursday and Friday.

2) Traxx x-cube bar 13, Ave Marechal Foch. Long hall for drinks.

3) La Civette du cours, 1 cours Saleya = big cafe with restaurant in front of the square. Usually local gays go there for an early drink there before proceeding to clubs. Lots of sitting space outside to watch the passer byes and exchange gossips.

Nudists’ hangout

There is one small gay beach on the way from Nice towards Monte Carlo. It is about 15 – 20 mins’ by car in the town of Eze. Descending the narrow path by the road and you will arrive to a small bay where everyone sunbath in nude. This place is not easy to find as it is not located in any gay maps. The only way is to befriend a local and ask them for directions, or better, ask them to bring you there!

Transport

No Metro, just bus and trams. Both services terminated at midnight. Possible to purchase a “one day” ticket but I find it not really necessary because everywhere is within walking distance.

They are constructing rails for tram buses to arrive from the out skits to the central (Place Medecin). At the moment of this writing, a short part of the Jean Medecin road leading to the central is completed and in operation.

updated on Mar 2008 == the construction of tram bus in Nice have been completed!!

Edited by tic-toc

Things to buy

Extra virgin Olive oil is a good buy but could be troublesome to bring back since now it is not possible to hand carry liquids of more than 100 ml in the aircraft.

Artisans- made soaps – Marseille and lavender are 2 popular fragrances.

Provencal wares – hand painted vases, plates, cups.

Eating Out

There are inexpensive eating stalls costing less than Euro5.00 (SGD10.00) to save the day: McDonalds, Kentucky, Kebabs and Chinese take away (actually owned by Vietnamese). You choose the dishes and they will warm them in the microwave oven)

Many local French restaurants offer fresh oysters. Mussels boiled in white wine and herbs are served in portions and they are usually refillable. (Euro 9.00 for whatever you can eat)

Most of the restaurants have set menu for lunch. They are usually under Euro 10.00 including first and second dishes. The French eats much elaborately during dinner.

Some restaurants that I have visited and recommend :

1) “Restaurant Le Toscan”, 1 rue de Beligique = Italian food. Family owned. Small tables. from those selling in our Pizza Hut. A pizza costs about Euro 10.00 /SGD20.00) Adding drinks and cover charge, a simple meal for 2 can easily come up to Euro 40.00/ SGD80.00)

2) La Merenda, 4, Rue de la Terrasse = French food. Homemade style. Small dinning hall and microscopic tables. Perpetually full house. Definitely not to be missed is their “Spaghetti in Genovese pesto”. Actually this basil/cheese/pine nut sauce pasta is the local dish of Genova (Italy) but the chef here makes it so sublime that it is impossible to upstage.

3) La Cigole, 7 ave de suède = Lebanese restaurant. For Euro30.00, you can order a full set meal. After midnight, there will be performance by a belly dancer.

4) French food. Operate by a lesbian couple. They do not have fix menu to choose from. Each day, they propose a different selection depending on what is fresh in the market. You eat what they give you, including the desserts.

Wine is usually good and rather expensive when compare to the Spanish and Italian counterparts. A bottle in the restaurant can easily cost more than Euro 15.00. Do not dine in those restaurants by the seaside. They are ridiculously expensive and the quality of food is not optimum.

Don’t forget to try the croissant. In Germany, try the krafen. In France, try the croissant.

I hope this brief travel information on Nice could be useful. If I had disregarded something which you like to know, please ask me. I will be visiting Marseille in Mid December and will give a travel report if I find it interesting. Au revoir!

Edited by tic-toc

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.