Male HQ

Cakes And Pastries

9 hours ago, Cube3 said:

These appear to be already cooked, I meant the fresh, uncooked puff pastry which I can use to make mille feuille...:(

http://www.fairprice.com.sg/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&productId=10442&urlRequestType=Base&catalogId=10051

The packaging shows what you can used it for but I believe Sunshine and Pampas are sheets pastries as stated on packaging, need to zoom in to read. Attached a better description of Sunshine above.

or try

https://redmart.com/frozen/pastry-cakes-bread/frozen-pastry?gclid=CjwKEAiAkajDBRCRq8Czmdj-yFgSJADikZggrm1oKng_QE7d2GQwOFSamNPImqQZpOsT17SumpyXUBoCQPTw_wcB

https://giantonline.com.sg/catalog/frozen-pastries

Incidentally industry standard now claims that Rough puff pastry is a good cheat version and many bakers seems to be using it now. Personally tried but not successful all the time. Not sure where I went wrong during the times when it didn't work. Definately takes much shorter time than the actually puff pastries. When it works, it does give the layers though not as crisp as actual puff pastries.

1 hour ago, shyc said:

Incidentally industry standard now claims that Rough puff pastry is a good cheat version and many bakers seems to be using it now. Personally tried but not successful all the time. Not sure where I went wrong during the times when it didn't work. Definately takes much shorter time than the actually puff pastries. When it works, it does give the layers though not as crisp as actual puff pastries.

I not quite sure this method.

Edited by Chocolateabs

Every laminated dough, be it puff pastry, croissant or Danish, begins its life as a thick slab of butter encased in a dough “envelope”. This 3-layer dough-butter-dough package is then flattened and folded however many times it takes to get the number of layers the maker is after

Edited by Chocolateabs

On 03/03/2016 at 0:25 PM, -Ignored- said:

You sounded like a friend who love to go travelling to HK, Bangkok, jb

Anyway, the jenny biscuits are very intensed in terms of their flavours, however, there was once a colleague brought back one that wasn't that good

So my conclusion is you got to go to its main branch to purchase

Actually well just replace the ingredients 

3 hours ago, shyc said:

Yes, my mistake, many apologies. Got distracted by some of the labelling words like berries and custard. Will give those a try. Thanks, Shyc, Chocolateabs!

5 hours ago, Cube3 said:

Yes, my mistake, many apologies. Got distracted by some of the labelling words like berries and custard. Will give those a try. Thanks, Shyc, Chocolateabs!

May also try using ready made frozen prata in the same method as your video.

I sometimes use spring roll skin like a filo pastry. Brush lightly with butter than lined them into muffin tins. Placed your cooked fillings and bake. 

6 hours ago, shyc said:

May also try using ready made frozen prata in the same method as your video.

I sometimes use spring roll skin like a filo pastry. Brush lightly with butter than lined them into muffin tins. Placed your cooked fillings and bake. 

- Won't prata be a bit chewy and not crispy?

- Spring roll skin: you mean popiah skin? Interesting...that's available hereabouts like around $15 a kilo. Will give that a try! ^_^

17 hours ago, Cube3 said:

- Won't prata be a bit chewy and not crispy?

- Spring roll skin: you mean popiah skin? Interesting...that's available hereabouts like around $15 a kilo. Will give that a try! ^_^

I am thinking if baked at a longer time under foils you might get crispy texture. After all both are layered pastries, different being puff uses butter while prata used oil. Maybe will not get so flaky but can still get the crisp. Only using imagination here, have to try out ... lol. I used frozen prata for almost anything, wrap like kebab rolls, tortilla roll, or lay like waffles on plate topped with fruits like bananas, strawberries and huge scoop of ice cream. I remembered when I was given 2 bottle of chcocolate sauce,even drizzle that and sprinkled with nuts.  yum.

IMG_7108_zps6b1n2uec.png IMG_7109_zpsteaoroja.png

Yes spring roll skin aka popiah skin can be used like filo. Using frozen type here. Never tried using fresh but I believe fresh version might give a different texture. Left pict: Popiah skin buttered and lined in muffin tins, filled with stir fried frozen veg. Right pict: Lined in baking tray, filled with boiled, sliced and seasoned potatoes, raw marinated salmon slices. Blanched and drained veg. Idea came from quiche except instead of using a crust and without the eggs/custard mixture. 

I m not in F&B. I don't have formal training. Just enjoy experimenting with food after watching and helping in mom's kitchen for years.  The introduction of internet and cable TV taught me beyond my basic home style cooking. My understanding of food may be wide due to the exposure but mostly theory lol  I rarely doing fancy cooking. I stick to simple salads and home style dishes with little prep works.   I go back to googling each time I need to cook something fancy. I think people like Friendly, Cube3, ThePineappl, Curious_mac etc who really do the baking/cooking are much better. 

3 hours ago, shyc said:

I m not in F&B. I don't have formal training. Just enjoy experimenting with food after watching and helping in mom's kitchen for years.  The introduction of internet and cable TV taught me beyond my basic home style cooking. My understanding of food may be wide due to the exposure but mostly theory lol  I rarely doing fancy cooking. I stick to simple salads and home style dishes with little prep works.   I go back to googling each time I need to cook something fancy. I think people like Friendly, Cube3, ThePineappl, Curious_mac etc who really do the baking/cooking are much better. 

wow! u have talent for that then

I wish I could be a 1/10th of u!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

those names quoted likely they r not from F&B too too (some are the "typically" housewives - of my era, pardon me, this is not meant to be rude, but in their household, no females, so they become the wives of the household to cook, practically they could cook everything)

only gen Y and those born later, will go to youtube for cooking lessons .... hence there are many cooking classes ongoing as well as bW mbrs requesting for classes (I genuinely believed they really need handson) just like me...

youngsters all laughed at me when they heard I kept signing for courses, cos I need to query, I need to analyse why this and that ...they laughed is cos they felt we and the olds donated money to the schools

btw har, all my male friends don't fancy (at one below my age) as well as some females don't fancy the use of facebook etc (facebook has many postings on fanciful dishes- you shd know it better, be it they copied and pasted from u tube) , so u can imagine that they totally don't rely on that @ all (if a human don't even fb, I can imagine will he youtube)

Also, I have friends (ladies, the species that I believed have dedicated fingers and cookings, just like when I visualize a home, I visualised a mum cooking) who went for courses and they baked wrongly cos cannt follow instructions well
(when I attend course, my instructor will point out my mistakes and explain well, I felt they are doing a good service to pass on the lineage of true cooking)

I did try to use online way to do it, but I don't think the outcome is satisfactory, hence I totally stop relying on that unless it is similar recipes, then I can still follow

Galicier Pastry
Address: Blk 55 Tiong Bahru Rd #01-39, 160055
Phone:6324 1686

Another of my favourite cake shop that sells not very sweet items. U must try it then u know what I mean.

Many cakes shops sells very sweet items and taking too much sweet stuff is very bad for health.

This cake shop is very good and all items is not so sweet as they reduced the sugar level. :clap::thumb:

Image may contain: food

Edited by Ethan_Oleh

1 hour ago, Ethan_Oleh said:
Galicier Pastry
Address: Blk 55 Tiong Bahru Rd #01-39, 160055
Phone:6324 1686

Another of my favourite cake shop that sells not very sweet items. U must try it then u know what I mean.

Many cakes shops sells very sweet items and taking too much sweet stuff is very bad for health.

This cake shop is very good and all items is not so sweet as they reduced the sugar level. :clap::thumb:

Yes, unusual spread with Peranakan touch...tried the kueh duduk, with fragrant coconut (tho I really prefer the sweeter gula kind), and their other sweet potato kueh etc. Delicate and rustic ;)

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 1:39 AM, Chocolateabs said:

Every laminated dough, be it puff pastry, croissant or Danish, begins its life as a thick slab of butter encased in a dough “envelope”. This 3-layer dough-butter-dough package is then flattened and folded however many times it takes to get the number of layers the maker is after

Actually, for puff pastry, cold pastry margarine works better compare to butter as butter tends to be too soft and contains too much moisture.

Frozen pastry margarine slabs can be purchased from baker's shop like Phoon Huat.

Brush some soft butter on the pastry before putting in the filling and on top before baking will easily improve the buttery taste on the baked products

1 hour ago, Anderson said:

Actually, for puff pastry, cold pastry margarine works better compare to butter as butter tends to be too soft and contains too much moisture.

Frozen pastry margarine slabs can be purchased from baker's shop like Phoon Huat.

Brush some soft butter on the pastry before putting in the filling and on top before baking will easily improve the buttery taste on the baked products

Well actually not exactly. For puff pastry should use some special butter call dry butter.

What exactly is “dry butter”?

Several questions have come in along those lines the last few days. “Dry butter” is a term that French pastry chefs frequently employ, usually in regard to the cultured butter they use for laminated pastry. I confess I don’t know what the technical definition of dry butter is in France (France being France, I’m sure it’s codified under law somewhere). I do know this: normal American butters are usually about 80% butterfat, 17% water and 3% protein. That’s “wet” by European standards, where butter is more like 82% fat and 15% water. That, according to some pastry chefs I’ve talked to, makes standard European butter “dry.”

• 2 months later...

ok, can we revive this, since it was started by me after all....

So right now, my friend and I are actually inventing new flavours of cheesecake, do let me know on your views!

New Flavours:

1. Chendol Cheesecake - DONE! Do let me know if you wish to buy from us! Chendol ingredients in a cheesecake! Base cookie is made of gula melaka!

2. Sweet Potato Cheesecake - Coming up! - World War II is definitely memorable, but do u know sweet potato can also be made into a cheesecake?

3. Sakura Cheesecake - Coming up! - Feels the spring of JAPAN!

4. Durian Cheesecake - Processing! - KING of all fruits, how can you miss that out!

5. Mangosteen Cheesecake - Processing! - When we have our KING, we would definitely need our QUEEN!

CURRENT Flavours we have:

1. Oreo

2. New York

3. Strawberry

4. Mango and many many more! You dare to ask, we dare to make!

Other cakes? Of cuz we do have!

Blackforest, Mango, Tiramisu.... All on your request! Price base on PM! Will try to give discounts!

Samples? Maybe, but you need to buy one whole from me, if its nice!

In the meanwhile, we can exchange more cakes and pastries info!

23 hours ago, RoyalSamuel said:

So right now, my friend and I are actually inventing new flavours of cheesecake, do let me know on your views!

New Flavours:

1. Chendol Cheesecake - DONE! Do let me know if you wish to buy from us! Chendol ingredients in a cheesecake! Base cookie is made of gula melaka!

2. Sweet Potato Cheesecake - Coming up! - World War II is definitely memorable, but do u know sweet potato can also be made into a cheesecake?

4. Durian Cheesecake - Processing! - KING of all fruits, how can you miss that out!

5. Mangosteen Cheesecake - Processing! - When we have our KING, we would definitely need our QUEEN!

1. Oreo

2. New York

3. Strawberry

Blackforest, Mango, Tiramisu.... All on your request! Price base on PM! Will try to give discounts!

Some samples of the new flavors will help with the reviews :D

approval.png.5049b8bf793949ee27c5a7e76f11054d.png

but your current flav looked so common

13 hours ago, RoyalSamuel said:

Eeeee... can luh... but must buy if nice... if not we are not easy to cover our costs lehs!

though chendol stuff has been in the market , still good to try out the Chendol Cheesecake , v localised hence angmohs may wanna try them!
mangosteen? erm , yes sort of creative, but cheese is abit sourish and then mangosteen too

mangosteen shdnt be too cheap

but if u pair up marketing like King and Queen (go in pairs and get discount), on certain days or events like Save the energy day: or valentine , xmas then your durian and mangosteen should be marketed well

how expensive is a slice or must buy the whole cake? where is the shop?? cant be expecting us to pay for your delivery unless it is delivery to bedrm?

On 3/25/2017 at 10:42 AM, RoyalSamuel said:

Eeeee... can luh... but must buy if nice... if not we are not easy to cover our costs lehs!

well, sampling don't need alot... maybe 1 slice of all can le... about 4cm by 8cm will do
and yep ask those who wanna sample to pay a small & reasonable fee like $15 la to sample all [ thus cover your cost ]

Edited by ThePineapple

approval.png.5049b8bf793949ee27c5a7e76f11054d.png

On 26/03/2017 at 0:37 AM, -Ignored- said:

but your current flav looked so common

though chendol stuff has been in the market , still good to try out the Chendol Cheesecake , v localised hence angmohs may wanna try them!
mangosteen? erm , yes sort of creative, but cheese is abit sourish and then mangosteen too

mangosteen shdnt be too cheap

but if u pair up marketing like King and Queen (go in pairs and get discount), on certain days or events like Save the energy day: or valentine , xmas then your durian and mangosteen should be marketed well

how expensive is a slice or must buy the whole cake? where is the shop?? cant be expecting us to pay for your delivery unless it is delivery to bedrm?

Mangosteen is sweet lol...  the cake itself is sweet instead of sour.... yes a little sour... but sweet will be the dominating flavour... just like a dominating btm. 

Buy whole la... customer more sincere mahs... no shop yet... Order via me or my friend. Testing out if biz is good to be ventured.

If buy whole cake... maybe i will deliver to ur hse or nearest mrt lor... umm bedroom uh, u need to pay me with ur cum lor

23 hours ago, ThePineapple said:

well, sampling don't need alot... maybe 1 slice of all can le... about 4cm by 8cm will do
and yep ask those who wanna sample to pay a small & reasonable fee like $15 la to sample all [ thus cover your cost ]

Sample all =/ all then cannot 4cm by 8cm le... 4cm by 4cm better! Lol...

10 minutes ago, RoyalSamuel said:

Mangosteen is sweet lol...  the cake itself is sweet instead of sour.... yes a little sour... but sweet will be the dominating flavour... just like a dominating btm. 

Buy whole la... customer more sincere mahs... no shop yet... Order via me or my friend. Testing out if biz is good to be ventured.

If buy whole cake... maybe i will deliver to ur hse or nearest mrt lor... umm bedroom uh, u need to pay me with ur cum lor

To most men, strawberries r sour but women keep insisting it s yummy and sweet

which s also why i deemed mangosteen belongs to the sourish grp

(natural fruit sweetness is another aspect)

whole cake cost how much? 40sgd?

cum alot- nt to worry

just worried that u may nt like older n ugly type

anyway, your reply is so "cute"

arent u ns now? Still hve time to venture?

or is it doing degree?

Guest Cooker
14 minutes ago, -Ignored- said:

Think its the imported strawberries in SG really tasteless. Had a chance to eat those really fresh ripe ones from farmer's market in Australia and O man! those are so fragrant and SWEET!

31 minutes ago, -Ignored- said:

which s also why i deemed mangosteen belongs to the sourish grp

(natural fruit sweetness is another aspect)

whole cake cost how much? 40sgd?

cum alot- nt to worry

just worried that u may nt like older n ugly type

anyway, your reply is so "cute"

arent u ns now? Still hve time to venture?

or is it doing degree?

Hehe... watch u spray around lol

Havent decide in the price yet

And ns over liao... in uni le.

31 minutes ago, ThePineapple said:

I don't remember our tongue is square... lolol

I shud be a mouthful kind of samle size hello!

41 minutes ago, -Ignored- said:

That s a gd one but dont like things that are sour eg strawberries

can change to cherries? Eg  cherries popping 

awaitg for your gd news

Hahaha what!!!! Restricted zone la!

On 23/03/2017 at 9:45 PM, RoyalSamuel said:

New Flavours:

1. Oreo

2. New York

3. Strawberry

Therez a birthday coming up in April and am thinking might need a birthday cheesecake. Would like to wow the birthday boy, so could you PM me your most wow-able cheesecake recommendation and price? Tks!^_^

10 hours ago, RoyalSamuel said:

When? An exact date?

Price i will update u. Min is 1kg...

Party date not fixed yet but should be around mid April...can't be exact at moment. 1 kg is not problem cuz there should be group of around 12 to 15 guests...

Guest Cumshot

Puff Pastry sheets can be bought from Phoon Huat too. You can make your own but it's tedious and complicated. Ready made puff pastry usually uses shortening or margarine to have the pastry rise. Usually will have the waxy aftertaste too. 

On 29/03/2017 at 11:55 PM, Cumshot said:

Puff Pastry sheets can be bought from Phoon Huat too. You can make your own but it's tedious and complicated. Ready made puff pastry usually uses shortening or margarine to have the pastry rise. Usually will have the waxy aftertaste too. 

I prefer made by myself stuffs haha... no preservatives or other substances that u dont know of..

By now all should have tasted

getting many n many bakeries producing local term cakes

like ondeh ondeh cakes

pulot hitam cakes

i wonder if i really want to enjoy the "bursting" feel of ondeh ondeh, why would i go for a cake ondeh ondeh and not a kueh?

Which is why never in my whole life, ordered or purchased a durian cake/ durian mousse or durian wat

if i need durian, i wil go and get a durian....

like some of u who baked,their ingred are  fresh and fr the original land

while their names sounded french, they r local shops- small setting: 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.