Male HQ

My Husband's Lover

marky

myhusbandslover2jpg-2568350_p9.jpg

The lunar new year is coming. And for those of you who will have lots of time to spare, you might want to catch this tv series which originated from the Philippines. I can assure you that it is very riveting and beats the local series Tanglin anytime.

It premiered on prime time television in mid 2013 and is credited to be the first gay-themed series that went in-depth into social issues such as homosexual relationships, transgender ism, homophobia and infidelity. The ratings were consistently high and surprisingly the entire series was approved without any censorship except a SPG rating (Strong Parental Guidance) It is a story about love, compassion, forgiveness, empathy and sacrifices. It is told from the perspective of the 2 lead characters : Vincent, the closet homosexual who hoped that in marrying a girl, he would please his parents and his homosexual past would forever be buried. And Lally, the woman he married... How her married life was shattered when Vincent's yearnings became stronger and how she eventually accepted the situation and moved on with her life.

The series really went in depth on how the family tackled issues like coming out of the closet, the persecutions that gays and transgenders face and how Vincent as a gay married husband tried to balance his commitments to his wife yet trying to be in touch with his hidden self. It is a carefully thought out series that span 94 episodes.

The theme song

is beautifully written. And listen to how truth these words ring :

Hold my hands and look straight in my eyes,

If we can't say goodbye,

Then we're worth one more try....

To get you started, you can watch the preview

You can turn on the English subtitles. Get ready your tissues though; certain portions are really heart wrenching... and yet certain portions will cause anger to brew inside you. Kudos to the Pinoys for this tv series. Watch it now or spread it over the Chinese New Year. One thing's for sure, it will cost you many late nights if you are riveted to it. Now dim your room lights and happy watching.... Edited by marky
grammar

3 hours ago, marky said:

myhusbandslover2jpg-2568350_p9.jpg

The lunar new year is coming. And for those of you who will have lots of time to spare, you might want to catch this tv series which originated from the Philippines. I can assure you that it is very riveting and beats the local series Tanglin anytime.

It is criminal to compare such in depth tv series to that uninteresting and shallow Tanglin.

16 minutes ago, Guest said:

It is criminal to compare such in depth tv series to that uninteresting and shallow Tanglin.

LOL, ok, ok... the 2 shall not be compared! :D You will need to download a VPN like Hola to watch the last episode because that episode cannot be viewed in S'pore. By trial and error, I found that I could view it if I log in via a Belgium network...Hope you guys understands what I meant.  

And can someone teach me how to post youtube videos like how you guys did above? I can't find the button to do so other than 'links' :frustrated:

Edited by marky
incomplete

Guest 72%dark
15 hours ago, Guest said:

that uninteresting and shallow Tanglin.

What is really "criminal" is to trash something just because you don't appreciate or understand it for what it is.

If you've been weaned on a steady diet of over-the-top TV melodrama, you may find yourself unmoved by a more understated and naturalistic aesthetic. This is not a shortcoming of the series per se; it merely reflects a particular set of aesthetic values.

More importantly, in the case of Tanglin, what I see is a genuine attempt to create an English-language drama that more closely reflects the everyday concerns of a cross-section of 'average' middle-class Singaporeans (albeit with a bit of the usual didactic subtext characteristic of our mainstream media); a kind of social realism in a way.

You can easily find good English-language dramas produced elsewhere, or not bad local dramas in other languages, but finding a good English-language TV serial reflecting local concerns is much more difficult. In all the decades of substandard Channel 5 productions, Tanglin is the only one that has piqued my interest sufficiently to watch it on a semi-regular basis.

If you don't enjoy it, that's fine, don't waste your time. But at least understand what makes it (somewhat) compelling for others before trashing it so unthinkingly.

18 hours ago, marky said:

And can someone teach me how to post youtube videos like how you guys did above? I can't find the button to do so other than 'links' :frustrated:

The Admins are fixing the situation.  Meanwhile, what you can do is to insert (copy/paste) the youtube url here and press return (once or twice).  The youtube should appear and you can now click submit Reply.

Click Here To Visit My Blog @ "The Blessed Life"

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

- May there be Love and Peace beyond all understanding -

I started watching the first 15 episodes and I have been crying every-night.... My life is exactly like that of Vincent......my Eric is as sweet and charming as in the drama except that mine is a doc and not an architect, and I am a banker  as opposed to a car sales man. I wanted so badly to know the ending so I watched the last two episodes last night. How I wish I can have that sort of ending.... Everyone living happily ever after. 

Yeah Loh... I am married with two kids like Vincent. I have a Boyfriend from Sec school that I love, like Eric. I don't know how it is going to end for us.... I am living in fear of being found out and guilt towards my Wife and kids. My Father is not a retired General but a retired politician, so equally bad. I am also the only Son....

i can really relate to almost everything in the drama.....

8 hours ago, Guest said:

I started watching the first 15 episodes and I have been crying every-night.... My life is exactly like that of Vincent......my Eric is as sweet and charming as in the drama except that mine is a doc and not an architect, and I am a banker  as opposed to a car sales man. I wanted so badly to know the ending so I watched the last two episodes last night. How I wish I can have that sort of ending.... Everyone living happily ever after. 

Wow, a doctor! Is he cute and does he have a hot body? And is he the bottom in your relationship just like the drama? Always wonder how a doctor moans when being fucked.

8 hours ago, Guest said:

10 hours ago, lovehandle said:

very soapy and weepie?

Well..., everyone has different emotional threshold. And at times, it also depends if you can relate to the storyline or the protagonists...

Do give this series a chance. It covers almost every aspect of gay life that you can think of...

10 hours ago, Guest said:

*Hugs* It doesn't matters what others think. To me you deserve a big consoling hug. I'm glad the series is something you can relate to. Just so you know, you are not alone; there are many out there with similar situations and predicaments... Im one of them. I have documented my life stories here on BW too. Just search for 'Marky's Life Stories' and see what i under went years back....

9 hours ago, Guest said:

Yeah Loh... I am married with two kids like Vincent. I have a Boyfriend from Sec school that I love, like Eric. I don't know how it is going to end for us.... I am living in fear of being found out and guilt towards my Wife and kids.

Seems like you have 3 options:

1) Keep you childhood sweetheart in your life as a sort of mistress. No need to feel overly guilty that you're not having a monogamous relationship with your wife. After all, that is just an artificial social construct (that's more suitable for straight ppl). Nothing wrong to love 2 partners as far as I'm concerned.

2) Let go of your Eric, only if you do love your wife too and you don't want to live in fear.

3) Let go of your wife/kids, if the one you love is really only Eric, and not your wife.

Life is short. It's always better to live with love, than to live in fear. Like the theme song, try to imagine that you're holding hands and looking into the eyes of your Eric and your wife. Who wouldn't you be able to say goodbye to? That may give you a clue what's the right thing to do.

Marky, your relationship with Peter was very different to the one I am having or Vincent had with Eric. Ours continued into the married life stage and had all the complications. This drama came up with a happy ending but I don't know how mine is going to end. I love both so I cannot decide on which to give up though I know inside me that if we were ever exposed, I wld choose my Wife and kids ( assuming they still want me). I don't want to breakup with him and he doesn't want it either but I know both of us are suffering inside. 

Like Vincent, I Struggle Everyday with leading a double life. The only time I am happy and I forget abt my struggle is when I hug him tight in my embrace when we spend time together. 

OMG... I just watched the episode where his Wife found out about him being gay and the confrontation was heart breaking. I cried a bucket and had to hide in the toilet in case my Wife asked me why I was crying! 

Wow... For those who intend of having affairs with married men, watch this drama! Very well acted and the lines are so good and real. I had a similar experience with a married man years ago and this drama just brought back all those memories.... Mine didn't end with me getting the Husband though.... He went back to his Wife and kids, and I Guess left me out in the cold..... Anyway, I am with a single guy now....

Wow, seems like there are many married folks here who are watching this series. I guess this series presents a plausible scenario of what could possibly happen if you decide to stray from your married life. Yes, it seemed a lot of thots has gone into the crafting of the dialogues. Some of the things they say really makes you ponder too. There's one particular night where I sat thru 6 episodes and ended up sleeping at about 4am :wacko:

Thanks to the lovely soul who introduced this show on here cos I have been watching it non stop!!! In my case, I was the Eric and my partner, Vincent!!

My relationship was so emotionally entangled and being the husbands lover is not a joke. I couldnt take it no more and after 18 years, I kicked him out of my life! He cried and begged me to stay but I just couldnt anymore. I was never the priority. The wife was, the kids were. No holding hands in public, no affections in public, everyting was hush hush. I had to lie all the time!!! Believe it or not, I only cheated once on the seventh year when I had tried to break it off then. And after that, I was always faithful to him till I broke it off on our 18th year. He was always taking me for granted, I constantly questioned myself why and just couldnt break free. Thank God I did at long last.

If I could turn back time, I would NEVER EVER be in a relationship as a husbands lover. No way. 

On 13/01/2016 at 3:34 PM, Guest said:

Marky, your relationship with Peter was very different to the one I am having or Vincent had with Eric. Ours continued into the married life stage and had all the complications. This drama came up with a happy ending but I don't know how mine is going to end. I love both so I cannot decide on which to give up though I know inside me that if we were ever exposed, I wld choose my Wife and kids ( assuming they still want me). I don't want to breakup with him and he doesn't want it either but I know both of us are suffering inside. 

Like Vincent, I Struggle Everyday with leading a double life. The only time I am happy and I forget abt my struggle is when I hug him tight in my embrace when we spend time together. 

This is the exact reason why I kicked my ex out of my life after 18 years!! Deep in my heart, I know that should we ever get exposed, he would.choose his wife and kids over me and by then, I would be too old and ugly to start over again! All I can say is, u are a very very selfish man and ur lover is not very bright!

13 hours ago, Guest said:

Wow... For those who intend of having affairs with married men, watch this drama! Very well acted and the lines are so good and real. I had a similar experience with a married man years ago and this drama just brought back all those memories.... Mine didn't end with me getting the Husband though.... He went back to his Wife and kids, and I Guess left me out in the cold..... Anyway, I am with a single guy now....

You poor thing and I feel.for u because I know what it is exactly being the husbands lover. I dont know how old u are but Im in my early forties and am having the best time of my life dating single gay guys and just being true to myself! We deserve better!! Believe in yourself!! 

Getting involved with a married man does have its complications and heartaches... lots of it. Hope those involved will find the strength and wisdom they need to do whatever is necessary. There's this other recurring theme song from the series which I'll post here now. I think you can all identify with the lyrics...

Thanks Marky.

I find all the male stars all so yummy:

vincent - so manly yet vulnerable when he cried. You just want to hug him when he cried.

Eric - there is just certain charm abt Him... May be it is his soulful eyes that give you the impression that he was in pain inside all the time.

Martin - so my type... Hunky yet boyish looking. Those lips are so suckable!

David - not too much into Him....

Paul - has this dangerous look abt him. Someone you want to have rough sex with.

this is probably one of the best dramas I have seen for a Long Long time... Certainly beat those Korean or HK or Chinese dramas because this one has so much real life dramas and I must say very well acted. A big plus that the male stars are all good looking too.

why can't Singapore come up with a drama like this... Enough story lines just by ploughing through all the threads here!

I am up to the chapter where Vincent  was driven to commit suicide and how Eric's tears just rolled down his cheeks... I was in tears!

life is so hard for gays... It's so unfair that we gays have to go through such hardship to find happiness. 

Look at the heart breaks for Vincent, Eric and Martin. So real. So tragic. So sad. 

When i have the time tmr, i will set up a poll to see which character you guys would prefer as your other half...

Seems like Amando has dis chip on his shoulder against gays rite? The reason would be revealed later on... :shhh: But Im glad they tackled the issue carefully and sensitively.

This series was meant for you all to watch over the lunar new year. At the rate some of you are going.... i think some of you'd reach the finale this weekend :lol:

On 1/16/2016 at 10:29 AM, Guest said:

Why can't Singapore come up with a drama like this... Enough story lines just by ploughing through all the threads here!

I think when it comes to certain social issues, Singapore does not want to be in d forefront. 

This series actually came under the scrutiny of the Catholic Church there :

CBCP wishes restraint in gay-themed 'My Husband's Lover'

Published June 26, 2013 1:20am
The GMA Network program “My Husband's Lover” has prompted the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines to call on television producers and writers to be discerning in the themes used in shows, especially if the program's topic deals with public morals and values.

Now on its third week of airing, “My Husband's Lover,” deals with a homosexual-extramarital affair.

“Malaking pag-aaral ang dapat na gawin sa mga bagong teleserye, tulad ng 'My Husband’s Lover' na sana maisa-alang-alang na nasa isang bansa tayo na mayroong kultura na pinapahalagahan ang usaping moral o mga bagay na saklaw ng moralidad," said CBCP youth commission executive secretary, Fr. Conegondo Garganta, in a Radio Veritas report.

Furthermore, Garganta said that networks themselves should exercise some restraint on programs that deal with sensitive topics.

Garganta also suggested that there ought to be guidelines that govern the themes used in programs that minors can watch on TV."My Husband's Lover" has been widely lauded, especially in the gay community, for breaking gay stereotypes and daring to tackle what has been nearly a taboo on primetime television, a love triangle involving straight leading men playing gay lovers.

Meanwhile, the Movie and Television Review and Classification Board (MTRCB), through a series of tweets, said that it would hear complaints againt “My Husband's Lover” if there were specific scenes that the public found inappropriate, given the rating.

"The SPG (strong parental guidance) rating given to My Husband's Lover is always subject to self-regulation and compliance with law," the MTRCB tweeted Tuesday night.

Garganta conceded that a democratic society does provide for freedom of expression. However, the freedom should be channeled towards something more than just making a profit. DVM, GMA News

Even then, you'd notice it was more an advisory rather than a protest because they just do not want to be seen as not having done anything. I can't imagine what Pastor Lawrence Khong would do instead.. :pray:

Edited by marky
Spelling

Thanks to ts for posting this. Have watched the whole series - there are 94 episodes, the 94th being the finale. You might have some problems finding the English subtitled version of the finale - here it is.

The series is rivetting and I think deals quite bravely with issues that we/the Gay community face. I am surprised at how well the lady writer understands gay men. The series also does not shy away from a comment on God and religion - to not have done so within a Filipino context would not have been realistic. There is also a comment on power/corruption and influence. So yes, all in all a powerful drama. I must admit that when I first started watching, I was not that impressed - I did not like the colour scheme nor did I like the theme song which gets played over and over again but that is overlooked once you get hooked into the good acting and perhaps a glimpse into the common, day to day, Filipino life.

Also, a very powerful warning to whoever is gay and is thinking of marrying to hide their gayness or to placate family.  I wont comment more as am sure many people are yet to complete watching the show.

Cannot believe that this show is not better known - the show completed in 2013.

Definitely worth watching.

Thanks guest for your comments...

Actually... before I decided to post this topic up, I tried searching to see if there was a previous thread on this series.. And yes, there was. But the TS didn't do much to promote the topic. It was just a sentence or 2 regarding this show and that was it and hoping perhaps the thread would take on a life of its own... No wonder no replies followed after that. Being a marketing student previously, I decided to put some effort to creating a thread that is more interactive and engaging, so... ^_^

I must salute Suzette Doctolero, the lady who created and developed this drama series. I guess ladies are more tuned to the human emotions. Here's the lady who made all this possible :

And only heaven knows how many gay christians prayed intensively to God for help with regards to their orientation. I know I have... for years... "God, if it is not something that pleases you, please take it away from me... You have said that if I ask of You.. anything in sincerity and in earnestness, it shall be granted... please God, please take this away from me.... I'm not even asking you for money or fame, I'm just asking that you make me a normal person just like You would want me to be...." I prayed that for ages... went on week long fasts etc... Nothing worked... just as Vincent had done while crying in church...

Anyway, just for accuracy sake. Vincent did not marry Lally outright to hide his sexuality. He got Lally pregnant at the start of their relationship when passion was still hot and decided the right thing to do to uphold her honor was to marry her. Eric was out of his life then and he too assumed with that he could lead a normal heterosexual life just like anyone else. Maybe this would serve as a good warning to others that you can only suppress your orientation but you can never change it.

depensa_ng_mga_fans__hindi_bastos_ang____my_husband___s_lover__1372233996.jpg

Edited by marky

I am watching the episode when he came out to his children. OMG... I was in tears for so long! 

Absolutely loved this drama. So painful to watch as it reminds me of the predicament I am in now, and I don't think or I don't foresee my ending to be anything like in this drama.

Finished all 94 episodes too. Definitely worth watching....and pondering for some.

can safely say one of the best dramas I have watched so far. Well done to the Philippines for being able to handle such issue so beautifully. 

I wonder why Singapore cannot air this drama... There is not a single gay kissing scene! 

Ok, I realized I can't start a poll halfway through a thread... So the next best thing is to do it midway and I will constantly tabulate the results. Before anything else, I must first thank IkuTube, the moderator for teaching me how to post Youtube videos :thumb:

Assuming you are part of this series.... which of the following would you have a relationship with??? : 

1. Vincent (Lally's husband)

tom.thumb.jpg.d51e1064e85ae1f2ea2e0a4b07

2. Eric (Vincent's lover)

Eric.jpg.a7a76a2c8e59f7e8eeeebbfa7457106

3. Martin (The one who loves Eric)

Martin.jpg.0e0650e5f79c061e7517faab14aff

4. Danny (Eric's best friend)

Danny.jpg.406af070def81f8f8b509b5b316261

5.  David (Vincent's Best Friend cum Restauranteur)

Victor.jpg.d0fdf9e27f25d84a539e533990d31

6. Paul (Guy who has a crush on Lally)

Paul.thumb.jpg.e6c5b7a047cc6f92e5fb275cc

7. Mike (David's boyfriend who eventually left him)

Mike.jpg.a507837b824d523f9ff05c9a5e96c8d

8. Zandro Soriano (Vincent's cousin, as well as a cross dresser)

zandro.png.fc33a66f743fbd35564933a9beb43

Edited by marky
addition of picture

11 hours ago, Guest said:

My dream guy is Martin. Too bad he didn't get a bigger part in the show.

I didn't think much about him too till I watched a video which I would post later on and he was like.... unbelievable. I guess as in all dramas, not everyone will get as much airtime as the leads. Hope his day in the sun will come. Likewise for that David and Paul too... When they revealed their bods at a concert I was referring to earlier, I think all hell was let loose with all the screaming from the audience :thumb::thumb::thumb:

I quite like Garys looks - the first guy who approached Eric, after the breakup.

Marky, you did not post a pic of Zandro Soriano - he might be someones cuppa tea. Interestingly enough, he is not mentioned much, if at all, in relation to the drama.

Ok, he's included now. Not that I'm biased against him... But I have to post a pic of him dressed as a woman as I did mention that my poll is whom you'd prefer to be in a relationship with if you were in the series itself. So a choice for Zandro would be a choice for a cross dresser as shown in the pic.

How many gay relationships can withstand the sort of passage of time Vincent and Eric experienced before they finally got together? Those I know wld immediately look for another one after being separated for a few months. Frankly if a Martin were to show up in one's life, who wouldn't take him immediately? I think this drama is trying to show how fateful gays are compared to the heterosexual relationships.... Which I don't think is realistic...

You may have a point there... But there's always another camp out there. Should the story goes along the line where Eric ends up with Martin from the gay bar, then you'd hear cries of "foul play" or "dun portray gays in bad light" etc etc

In the end, it ended as most feel good stories would... which is 'true love waits...' 

To whom it may concern, because I think it might be in your interest.

Show the world that you love your husband with this limited edition shirt.

***30% Off for 5 Days Only***

Originally $29.99, Today Only $20.99! SALE ENDS Tuesday, January 26th, 2016 – Get it now while it lasts! (Not Available in Stores)

You can get yours here: https://teespring.com/husbandy

Thank you and best regards

P/s: I am sorry for my english still learn and try improve myself

11 hours ago, Guest said:

I can't stop watching this show. Makes me cry so much.

I've filled up my third bucket full of tears.

:( Let's cry together.

This show is a wake-up call for gays thinking of marrying a straight woman. You may end up marrying into a nightmare just like that Vincent in the show.

Moral of the show? Be true to yourself always.

1 minute ago, Guest said:

This show is a wake-up call for gays thinking of marrying a straight woman. You may end up marrying into a nightmare just like that Vincent in the show.

Moral of the show? Be true to yourself always.

"Be true to yourself always."

This will be the most powerful quote I'll ever come to read.

On 20/01/2016 at 11:17 PM, Guest said:

How many gay relationships can withstand the sort of passage of time Vincent and Eric experienced before they finally got together? Those I know wld immediately look for another one after being separated for a few months. Frankly if a Martin were to show up in one's life, who wouldn't take him immediately? I think this drama is trying to show how fateful gays are compared to the heterosexual relationships.... Which I don't think is realistic...

Yes, there are other elements that are not realistic like having such an understanding wife. But to me, these flaws do not matter in light of what else is addressed in the drama:-

1. Infidelity, sex before marriage, sex outside of marriage

2. Abuse of power/authority

3. HIV is not just a 'gay' illness

4. Gay men wanting to have children as much straight men

5. Religion and God - does God care or is there even a God?

6. Gayness, environment or genes?

7. Transgender does not necessarily = Gay?

Please add ones that you can think of ...

• Guest locked this topic