Male HQ

Are you learning any language or dialect?

smallboy

Latin is still spoken in the Vatican and the atm there is in Latin. :o I know right.  Latin is the basis of these five romantic languages:

1. French;

2. Spanish;

3. Italian;

4. Portuguese; and

5. Romanian.

The English language is a melting pot languages, however I believe it stems from Sanskrit.

I'm currently attempting to learn Russian. Why? Business proposes...

8 hours ago, typoshark said:

I am currently learning Korean, it's quite fun but like all languages it gets very complicated, esp the grammar

Me too...Are there some good introductory materials/websites you use? I'm a bit stuck cuz the alphabet doesn't seem very consistent i.e. explanation says this but when Koreans pronounce they enunciate quite differently. And there doesn't seem to be any really efficient online dictionaries unlike for Japanese...

I have been brushing up my Chinese/Mandarin the past 2 years due to work demands. One of the reasons I had to pursue my degree overseas then was I received a D for Chinese for my A levels. The irony is, I now use it pretty frequently for work, both reading and writing. Google Translate has been very helpful at times. 

Mostly, I am learning Spanish for now, just to get by. 

Love. 

4 minutes ago, doncoin said:

I have been brushing up my Chinese/Mandarin the past 2 years due to work demands. One of the reasons I had to pursue my degree overseas then was I received a D for Chinese for my A levels. The irony is, I now use it pretty frequently for work, both reading and writing. Google Translate has been very helpful at times. 

Mostly, I am learning Spanish for now, just to get by. 

En serio, hablas español doncoin pues dime algo para que yo sepa que si estas diciendo la verdad.

5 minutes ago, VanD said:

En serio, hablas español doncoin pues dime algo para que yo sepa que si estas diciendo la verdad.

Como estas Guadalupe? Por favor, limpie el piso hoy y haga la ropa. Mucho gracias.  

Ay Dios mio! Por que me atornmentas asi? 

Mostly I need to communicate with my cleaning lady. 

Edited by doncoin

Love. 

6 minutes ago, doncoin said:

Como estas Guadalupe? Por favor, limpie el piso hoy y haga la ropa. Mucho gracias.  

Mostly I need to communicate with my cleaning lady. 

Wow, Impressive not bad.... Lol

N just so u know..since gracias is feminine it's Muchas Gracias....

Regards to Guadalupe n Spanish is sexyyyy!!! Que caliente...

Y no te estoy atormentando, es solo para saber mi amigo..

Edited by VanD

18 minutes ago, VanD said:

Wow, Impressive not bad.... Lol

N just so u know..since gracias is feminine it's Muchas Gracias....

Regards to Guadalupe n Spanish is sexyyyy!!! Que caliente...

Y no te estoy atormentando, es solo para saber mi amigo..

Realistically, I think I am not really speaking Spanish, but Puerto Rican :) I've heard native Spanish speakers talking and they are much more softer and melodic versus PR Spanish where it sounds like a rapid fire machine gun. Also watching telenovellas help. Over the top drama, not much different than the Chinese series I grew up watching. The important words I've learnt are "limpie,' "No hablo Espanol," "lava la ropa" :D 

Love. 

On 12/8/2016 at 10:46 AM, analogous said:

Sometimes i just feel disappointed with myself that im chinese but cant speak fluent mandarin. Especially to old cleaner or hawker stall owner or new people that i meet. It's embarassing. Or with a group of colleagues who feel more comfortable speaking in mandarin..then u will feel left out. Or they think u r too stuck up. 

There are many edu centres and choices when i do a google search. Felt overwhelm. So that's why i ask here.

As much as the Establishments love to have you subscribe, being Chinese does not equal being conversant in Mandarin.

Mandarin is but some bastardized Altai (Mongolian, Korean)/Tsongus (Manchurian, Japanese) language.

That's why it is left with only 4 tones, instead of 8 as in Teochew/Hokkien.

On 12/8/2016 at 3:16 PM, Shinhao said:

Latin is still spoken in the Vatican and the atm there is in Latin. :o I know right.  Latin is the basis of these five romantic languages:

1. French;

2. Spanish;

3. Italian;

4. Portuguese; and

5. Romanian.

The English language is a melting pot languages, however I believe it stems from Sanskrit.

I'm currently attempting to learn Russian. Why? Business proposes...

Dien Bien-Phu, Conquistadors, Abyssinia, Melaka and Timisoara, anybody?

The Romanian language is based on Latin but the people profess Orthodox Christianity.

Take a closer look at the map, Sanskrit is more similar to Persian and Gypsies, if not Armenian and Georgian.

The Anglo-Saxons were Germanic tribes conquered by French (not Latin) speaking Norse-men. 

Edited by wilfgene
rhetoric, grammar

Guest Learn Cantonese

Trying to learn how to text or write in Cantonese characters as I'll be moving to Hong Kong soon. Quite difficult for a banana like me. I can speak casual Cantonese but writing is different.

Anyone knows if there is a good free app or website where they teach Cantonese words and phrases?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2016 at 11:34 PM, Cube3 said:

Me too...Are there some good introductory materials/websites you use? I'm a bit stuck cuz the alphabet doesn't seem very consistent i.e. explanation says this but when Koreans pronounce they enunciate quite differently. And there doesn't seem to be any really efficient online dictionaries unlike for Japanese...

pronunciation wise, there are many unwritten rules which only Koreans themselves can tell you. I think you can search for such rules online

• 3 weeks later...

I've lived in Japan for a few years and can/could speak conversationally. Other than my native language of English, I can speak a bit of Danish, Cantonese, and Spanish. I'm very interested in learning Mandarin, but most tutors here seem to be only for small children or require some basic skills in the language. I only know a few words and phrases.
I suppose I could add Singlish to the list of languages I speak. Not fluent in Singlish, but when I do, people here say I sound local... I just speak it when I am joking around or telling a story about something that happened to me.
Tamil would be fun to learn too...every word seems to have at least 5 syllables. If I could learn Tamil, I could learn any language! 

• Guest locked this topic