Male HQ

Skinny Fat

samdiggin

Im not sure if anyone has the same experience or I can even ask questions here.

I'm kinda slim and I've been trying to bulk...Lately, I've put on 6-7kg in 3 months which is really quite awesome. However, I do want to reduce the amount of fat around my abs and I understand there is no spot reduction. I thought of doing cardio but a friend of mine doesnt encourage that considering that I'm bulking and cardio also counters that. So...is diet the only way or are there other methods to go about this? Does training the core help?

12 hours ago, birth_ave said:

I'm kinda slim and I've been trying to bulk...Lately, I've put on 6-7kg in 3 months which is really quite awesome. However, I do want to reduce the amount of fat around my abs and I understand there is no spot reduction. I thought of doing cardio but a friend of mine doesnt encourage that considering that I'm bulking and cardio also counters that. So...is diet the only way or are there other methods to go about this? Does training the core help?

A lot of people go through this and your friend is right, cardio doesn't encourage bulking, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. A lot of this depends. When you say you put on 6-7kg is it mostly fat or muscle?

23 hours ago, birth_ave said:

Have no idea what you are trying to do actually..so do you want to bulk or do you want to cut?

I think TS is trying to bulk without fats

• 2 weeks later...

Ccm is skinny fat too. Chubby face n skinny body.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

4 hours ago, birth_ave said:

Pretty much this. I mean, I already have fats and I want to reduce it, and thats on my stomach.

To bulk is to put on weight, and with weight, you gain some fats along with it. To minimise fat gain is also to watch your diet and also to watch your workout. I have no idea how much you have been doing on the workout side so I cannot recommend much as well. Would be good to start with lots of compound movements at the gym and lots of heavy lifting with proper diet. I believe its not just the fats at the tummy but also muscle definition that you lack. Really need to hit the gym more and push yourself hard. When the muscles starts building, the "fats will just shed away" automatically.

50 minutes ago, xydboy said:

To bulk is to put on weight, and with weight, you gain some fats along with it. To minimise fat gain is also to watch your diet and also to watch your workout. I have no idea how much you have been doing on the workout side so I cannot recommend much as well. Would be good to start with lots of compound movements at the gym and lots of heavy lifting with proper diet. I believe its not just the fats at the tummy but also muscle definition that you lack. Really need to hit the gym more and push yourself hard. When the muscles starts building, the "fats will just shed away" automatically.

I see. So, you would recommend against doing cardio to shed away these fats huh? Mainly focusing on muscle-building and diet

On 4/5/2016 at 0:14 AM, birth_ave said:

I see. So, you would recommend against doing cardio to shed away these fats huh? Mainly focusing on muscle-building and diet

It actually depends on what kind of cardio are you talking about as well. Not all types of cardio are the same. Anyway concurrent training is still quite debatable with lots of different kind of studies conducted, but as of now, if you enable 3-4hrs of rest in between, I doubt there would be detrimental effects on your strength/muscle building gains. Again its subjected to the kind of cardio that you do.

On 15 April 2016 at 0:31 AM, lyz93 said:

Hi, i think i have the same problem here, i was wondering to join thai boxing since they offer cardio and body weight training, i'm not sure also if this training will work out for skinny fat....

I think the most important question to ask yourself is whether you have passion for this activity. Most workouts do provide benefits. The problem is most people don't stay with it until the benefit becomes apparent. They stopped doing it after a few times and blame that the workout does not product the result they want. 

Here's a blog that might shred some light to a skinny fat body type.

http://skinnyfattransformation.com/faq/

I'm currently also struggling to shred those extra body fat, been doing circuit sets for a month now. I'm slowly rekindling and activating my base muscles. Eventually as I get stronger, I'm going to focus on heavier weights and more focus sets on various body group per workout day.

Diet is super important too! If you can't get over the fact of eating steam chicken breast and broccoli as the meal every day, then all your hard work at the gym won't pay off either.. 

Edited by blueb

tumblr_m6i5n25CGw1rotbq4o1_500.gif

5 hours ago, blueb said:

Diet is super important too! If you can't get over the fact of eating steam chicken breast and broccoli as the meal every day, then all your hard work at the gym won't pay off either.. 

no. i want my cake. and i want to eat it too. iifym lol

2 hours ago, deathblade88 said:

but dat cake didn't look very appetizing in the first place. :thumbdown: anyway the record last year was 14.5lb (6.58kg) in 8mins. -_-

and please stay on topic? you're going off-topic.

Yes diet is important, but my point is that you don't need to suffer and torture yourself like @blueb. Sure he might get off on eating chicken and broccoli every day. But that doesn't mean the hard work at the gym won't pay off. In the first place, unless your only goal is to cut fat regardless of how much muscle mass is lost, the work put in will pay off somehow! As long as input < output, I'm sure you will see improvements... eventually. ;)

On 4/23/2016 at 3:43 AM, kkkkk said:

but dat cake didn't look very appetizing in the first place. :thumbdown: anyway the record last year was 14.5lb (6.58kg) in 8mins. -_-

Yes diet is important, but my point is that you don't need to suffer and torture yourself like @blueb. Sure he might get off on eating chicken and broccoli every day. But that doesn't mean the hard work at the gym won't pay off. In the first place, unless your only goal is to cut fat regardless of how much muscle mass is lost, the work put in will pay off somehow! As long as input < output, I'm sure you will see improvements... eventually. ;)

I agree that one is allowed cheat meals (cake inclusive) like 2-3x a week and doesn't need to eat chicken and broccoli day in day out every single meal, but it's hard to keep track of input or calorie count for a novice if his meals varies all the time. I've seen a video of a girl that blends all her food (chicken breast and greens) into a smoothie, labels them and drink like they taste nothing.. well, I'm not a advocate of going to such extremes, but it is essential to know what we are putting into our bodies and tracking them. We can have the best workout routine in the world, but at the end of the day, you are really what you eat.

@kkkkk If you don't mind sharing your cutting routine and diet, that will be really helpful, because I'm considering cutting first then bulk. So some pointers or reviewing your techniques might be helpful to gain some insights.

Back to the topic, if you read the link I shared, that blogger does share a lot of similarities to what a skinny fat person goes through, we don't eat enough fat and protein and our bodies have really messed up level of testosterone.

Growing up, I blame it on the bad Asian diet. We eat alot of foods that contains soy - which produces a concentrated amounts of estrogen. Even the meats we eat today, chicken-eggs/pork even farmed fish are all fed with soy. Compounded with folks that have a sweet tooth, eating all such food reduces your T-count.

Some people might have great genetics, but some, as this topic states, skinny fat people like me, don't have that luxury. In fact, we have to radically rethink the way we consume in order to produce sound results so we have maximum gains and minimal muscle loss.

On 4/22/2016 at 5:24 AM, blueb said:

He's a blog that might shred some light to a skinny fat body type.

http://skinnyfattransformation.com/faq/

I'm currently also struggling to shred those extra body fat, been doing circuit sets for a month now. I'm slowly rekindling and activating my base muscles. Eventually as I get stronger, I'm going to focus on heavier weights and more focus sets on various body group per workout day.

Why only chicken breast and broccoli? There are lots of other vegetables and fruits which is of low carb. As i am a vegetarian, i choose to eat spinach, kang kong, kai lan, water cress, broccoli, cauliflower, many kinds of mushroom, carrots, many kinds of fruits. When i want more protein i will eat eggs, drink soya milk, low fat milk, yogurt etc. Still we need to learn to love healthy food in order to maintain on this diet.

Muscles are made in the kitchen and destroyed at the gym.

I am skinny fat last time and more slowly changing to er.. less skinny fat i guess. 

When you bulk up, the more muscles you have, the less fat you will look. We skinny fat ppl looks like having a float around the waistline is because we are too skinny and the body stores fat for contingency. The right way should be to bulk up (as healthy as possible with a clean diet) combined with gym and some cardio. As you bulk up, you will gain fats but it is much easier to cut post bulking up to prevent losing muscle definition rather than trying to slim down now and remain skinny forever. If you cant eat more, drink at least 1L of milk everyday. Liquid calories will help you to gain more quickly without forcing yourself to over-eat.

34 minutes ago, yoyo74 said:

Why only chicken breast and broccoli? There are lots of other vegetables and fruits which is of low carb. As i am a vegetarian, i choose to eat spinach, kang kong, kai lan, water cress, broccoli, cauliflower, many kinds of mushroom, carrots, many kinds of fruits. When i want more protein i will eat eggs, drink soya milk, low fat milk, yogurt etc. Still we need to learn to love healthy food in order to maintain on this diet.

I only use Chicken Breast and Broccoli as an analogy to easily count and track the diet intake. I currently eat a varieties of veg - Cauliflower, string beans, carrots, kale, spinach, avocados, almond milk. I rotate around Pork, Chicken Breast, fish and occasionally seafood, as for religious restriction, I don't eat beef. I'm trying to introduce more red meat into my diet. ie Lamb. But I'm learning how to cut cleaner, so I can go lean into about 15% bodyfat - so I'm still figuring out how to use this myfitnesspal tracker to meet my macros and have a caloric deficit in my meals. I hate to agar agar, as I tend to before in the past, and my goals always don't fall through.

I just measured myself, and creating a tracking chart with photos. I'm determined to make this round work out for me. 

13 minutes ago, justinys said:

Muscles are made in the kitchen and destroyed at the gym.

I am skinny fat last time and more slowly changing to er.. less skinny fat i guess. 

When you bulk up, the more muscles you have, the less fat you will look. We skinny fat ppl looks like having a float around the waistline is because we are too skinny and the body stores fat for contingency. The right way should be to bulk up (as healthy as possible with a clean diet) combined with gym and some cardio. As you bulk up, you will gain fats but it is much easier to cut post bulking up to prevent losing muscle definition rather than trying to slim down now and remain skinny forever. If you cant eat more, drink at least 1L of milk everyday. Liquid calories will help you to gain more quickly without forcing yourself to over-eat.

Thanks for sharing your experiences Justin..

I must say, I strayed from working out and eating well (due to career goals) that I gained significant amount of weight in the past year, to the point my body fat % starts off at 23-25%. I also gained weight since I was in a gym phase, I put on the pounds and weigh 145. So technically I'm in a fat-er zone of being skinny fat, my goals are to cut like how this guy in the blog shares his experience. 

http://skinnyfattransformation.com/my-transformation/

Cut cleanly - then build strength. I believe I have the frame now and I shouldn't bulk anymore..

On 4/23/2016 at 3:43 PM, kkkkk said:

I am not going off topic. If you had been following him on FB, he is also into IIFYM.

I am curious about something he said.

He said despite all those eating challenge, he is still losing weight.

He must had counted all his macros carefully before he took on those challenges.

39 minutes ago, deathblade88 said:

I am not going off topic. If you had been following him on FB, he is also into IIFYM.

I read somewhere that your body disposes of whatever is not needed including excess nutrients. Moreover, putting on weight, in my opinion, requires a period of consistent overload. It is unusual to become overweight overnight just because you feasted at the buffet.

11 hours ago, deathblade88 said:

He must had counted all his macros carefully before he took on those challenges.

10K surplus of wat?

On 4/27/2016 at 4:12 AM, azimuth said:

I read somewhere that your body disposes of whatever is not needed including excess nutrients. Moreover, putting on weight, in my opinion, requires a period of consistent overload. It is unusual to become overweight overnight just because you feasted at the buffet.

Our body peaks processing protein at a certain cap, everyone has a different level of digesting protein into their systems. The catch is understand how much is the optimum amount. Protein is the building block for regenerating our muscle tissues after working out - which is the most crucial building block out of the 3 (the other 2 being Carbs and Fats)

Genetically speaking, some people naturally have high metabolism in their bodies, and if they do tonnes of cardio, they body burn at a faster rate than an average person.

This guy probably possess that, or he has worm or something in his system. I don't understand how some people can gorge themselves so much that it reaches beyond of the point of enjoying the food.

Edited by blueb

Another fundamental issue for skinny fat folks like us is also that we do not have enough testosterone in our bodies. It may be our lifestyle choices, our diet, or simply genetics. But when you have a male body with higher ratio of estrogen, the body functions to imitate what is primarily good for females. 

Estrogen in men --

1) Body goes into fat storage mood, especially more in areas of hips, breasts and thighs

2) Most skinny fat guys, not all, experience gynecomastia aka man boobs

3) Low sex drive, less frequent erections

4) Frequent bouts of fatigue and tiredness

Testosterone --

1) Increase in metabolism, and muscle reparation rates

2) Stronger bone density

3) Growth in hair on facial, bodily and public region

4) Increase in sexual libido and spontaneous erections

Most skinny fat guys looks fine in T-shirt and jeans - in fact they look good with skinny arms fitting small sizes, but once you strip them down, you'll realize it's a skinny frame with bodily fats stored at the wrong places.

Hormonal therapy are mostly controlled and can only be prescribed if your doctor detects critically low amount of T count. 

I plan to get a hormone test kit and I'll share the results over the course of recording my progress.

Cheers! 

On 4/25/2016 at 10:09 PM, blueb said:

@kkkkk If you don't mind sharing your cutting routine and diet, that will be really helpful, because I'm considering cutting first then bulk. So some pointers or reviewing your techniques might be helpful to gain some insights.

@blueb When I cut, I try to eat proteins = 0.5-0.6g per lb of my bodyweight at around 70-80P, and around 30-40g of fat per day (usually from the meat, cheese, milk etc). I estimate my carbs 'cause it's just a pain in the neck to count, but i'm eating around 1/3 of my plate. Switched to fibrous carbs instead of starchy carbs some time back.

Bulking phase, protein I do 0.7-0.8, so around 100-110P, 40-50F and a little starchy carbs.

In a typical day, I might eat... 200g of steamed/roasted/baked chicken breast + a glass of Milk + 2 eggs and maybe some prawns with a plate of mixed cooked veg or fresh salad

Or... 250-300g of seared/roasted beef/lamb steak, or minced, maybe pasta and mixed veggies, mixed nuts and salad

Or... 250g of steamed/baked cod, salmon, or other fish, blanching veggies and nonfat / low fat yoghurt (or greek yoghurt with fruits)

Or if i'm lazy, i get a whole spring chicken from ntuc or giant?

On 4/28/2016 at 0:36 AM, blueb said:

Another fundamental issue for skinny fat folks like us is also that we do not have enough testosterone in our bodies. It may be our lifestyle choices, our diet, or simply genetics. But when you have a male body with higher ratio of estrogen, the body functions to imitate what is primarily good for females. 

Estrogen in men --

1) Body goes into fat storage mood, especially more in areas of hips, breasts and thighs

Testosterone --

2) Stronger bone density

Most skinny fat guys looks fine in T-shirt and jeans - in fact they look good with skinny arms fitting small sizes, but once you strip them down, you'll realize it's a skinny frame with bodily fats stored at the wrong places.

Hormonal therapy are mostly controlled and can only be prescribed if your doctor detects critically low amount of T count. 

I plan to get a hormone test kit and I'll share the results over the course of recording my progress.

Cheers! 

This is interesting, since when skinny people have insufficient testosterone? just because they can't pack muscle? According to a published research, obese people would have low t levels and it gets corrected through weight loss (http://press.endocrine.org/doi/abs/10.1210/jcem-53-4-828 and http://press.endocrine.org/doi/abs/10.1210/jcem-48-4-633).

On 28/04/2016 at 0:36 AM, blueb said:

Estrogen in men --

Testosterone --

2) Stronger bone density

Cheers! 

@blueb

R estrogen n testosterone mutually exclusive in our bodies?

Thanks.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Wafflecorn said:

And @fab, both gender has both testosterone and oestrogen

Thanks. 

What i mean is if u eat food with more oestrogen will it reduce your testosterone production?

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

• 6 months later...

I have a recommendation for you. Why don't you try creations from mother nature. I have a brother loves gym so much, but he had the same problems with you. The spell is he used fruit in order to get gid of fat at belly, chin, arms and legs.

There are 3 most used fruit he is fond of until now is grapefruit, banana and guava. If you do not have enough time to conduct some researches, I did it for you. You can take a look at this and choose the best creation for yourself and most suitable for your health condition.

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Ways-Grapefruit-Can-Help-You-Lose-Weight-26331222

http://www.eatthis.com/can-eating-bananas-help-you-lose-weight

https://wikihomenutrition.com/guava-health-benefits/

The advantage of fruit is a storage of vitamin and fiber, folate. So you can use it every time that you think you can. After working out for 1 hour, you can have one of these as the way to charge your energy and back to the gym stage.

I hope it will help you as you expected.

• 6 years later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.