Male HQ

California Fitness Winding Up Saga (Compiled)

fmen

So I see this

"“In recent years, we’ve seen that our clients are less driven by vanity-driven workouts, and more focused on exercises that help them take on the rigours of daily life,” said Mr Percy Reynolds, Head of Fitness at Fitness First Singapore."

And I am just wondering... what rigours of life do people have that they need to go to gym frequently to train up for it?

Guest Guest
9 minutes ago, dgen said:

So I see this

"“In recent years, we’ve seen that our clients are less driven by vanity-driven workouts, and more focused on exercises that help them take on the rigours of daily life,” said Mr Percy Reynolds, Head of Fitness at Fitness First Singapore."

And I am just wondering... what rigours of life do people have that they need to go to gym frequently to train up for it?

1447981318210_514.jpg 513662102-syrian-man-carrying-two-babies

Man-bags-collage-resized.jpg

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, Guest Fatty said:

Where are those ex cali hunks working out now?

Maybe fitness first or anytime fitness? But where do all the cardio class instructor go?

Guest CaliforniaGone
On 7/27/2016 at 1:34 PM, Cube3 said:

Wouldn't someone be enterprising enough to go on kickstarter, initiate a crowdfund and turn this into a Pink Dot gym (maybe even open 24 hours)?

Even if this unlikely scenario pan out , it will be 3 years later.

13903295_10154398243616738_9216512130885

received email from Cali on 27th July

'No money currently' to refund California Fitness members after gym closures

SINGAPORE - Members of California Fitness received e-mails on Thursday (July 28) from liquidators Ferrier Hodgson stating that there are currently no funds available for refunds to members.

They were also sent a Proof of Debt form to file their claims with the liquidators for J.V. Fitness, the parent company of California Fitness.

California Fitness closed down its Republic Plaza branch on July 16, followed by its Novena and Bugis outlets on July 20, leaving members high and dry after having paid upfront thousands in membership fees.

Mr Tim Reid, a partner at Ferrier Hodgson, confirmed that there are no funds available currently to refund members, and said that they are gradually sending out the e-mails to the gym's 23,000 members.

However, this is prior to the possibility of selling off assets such as the gyms.

An advertisement placed by Ferrier Hodgson was spotted in The Business Times on Wednesday (July 27).

The advertisement stated that the liquidators are seeking expressions of interest from those who wish to purchase the gyms, collectively or individually, as turnkey operations.

The advertisement only mentioned the Raffles Place and Bugis outlets, and lists the facilities and equipment included such as cardio machines, studios, steam rooms and saunas. Registrations of interest have to be lodged with the liquidators by Aug 3.

A hearing before the High Court is set on Aug 12 where the provisional liquidators will report their findings to the High Court and the creditors upon completing their assessment.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/no-money-currently-to-refund-california-fitness-members-after-gym-closures?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&xtor=CS1-10#link_time=1469718187

Edited by fmen

Guest guest

Where got so fast?  Yesterday is just the closing date for seeking parties to buy over raffles and bugis br. Whether any buyer is another question? :frustrated:

Guest Requiem for a gym

Eulogy from ex-member group x bitch:

Bye bye california fitness, you shall now join your sister planet fitness in gym heaven (or hell), who had now gone to a better place. You had been a pain in the ass, although the pains you gave were not merely in the ass. You shall be remembered as the bad ass gym that got away, a blessing in disguise but nevertheless, an initial stab in the hearts of many wallets and bank accounts. You will not be missed, but sorely remembered, not just by the many hearts you have broken, but also countess asses you have screwed.

Don't expect any news anytime soon. This will have to be dealt with by the court and the process takes a long time. First the liquidator must dispose of the assets and then the secured creditors (banks, landlords, etc) will fight over the proceeds and argue their case in front of the judge. This takes many months, sometimes years. Then when first the court costs, liquidator's and lawyers fees are paid, the secured creditors get paid. If anything is left over it is divided up between the unsecured creditors, which in this case would be unpaid employees first and then members.

Cali only rented its locations, so its main assets are only gym equipment, which probably won't fetch much money. Maybe they will also get some money for the membership database if another fitness company wants access to that database so that they can market their gyms to former Cali members and maybe try entice them with discounted membership rates - if this is the case expect plenty of marketing calls from the database purchaser.

Members are very low in the creditor pecking order so I think it is for sure than there will be no refunds given. The only thing you can probably do is check with your credit card company for a refund because of non-delivery of service.

If some other company buys the Cali gyms as "turnkey" it will not be obligated to take on the former members. True had to when it bought Planet because it took over the company as a going concern. In the cali case the purchaser would only be buying the hardware - the lease, the facilities and the equipment, not the company itself.

Guest Fortis10

First I want to object to the totally unfair comments regarding Wai Han from Xinyi. Wai Han's mix of professionalism, sheer energy, attention to detail, and fun, make her classes simply unique in S'pore. I, for one, fly in directly from overseas to attend her classes- from London, Paris, etc. And she's saved my back, insisting 'don't do this exercize if you had a past injury.' Now back to California Fitness : that company owes me four thousand $ and my lawyer says the creditors, amongst which we customers rank very very low, will get a lien on the assets, i.e. the machines, which are worthless. In other words : we'll get nothing. No one has expressed any interest in buying Cali over. So let's save our hard-earned $, stop consulting lawyers, and keep exercizing !

Guest Guest
51 minutes ago, Guest Fortis10 said:

First I want to object to the totally unfair comments regarding Wai Han from Xinyi. Wai Han's mix of professionalism, sheer energy, attention to detail, and fun, make her classes simply unique in S'pore. I, for one, fly in directly from overseas to attend her classes- from London, Paris, etc. And she's saved my back, insisting 'don't do this exercize if you had a past injury.' Now back to California Fitness : that company owes me four thousand $ and my lawyer says the creditors, amongst which we customers rank very very low, will get a lien on the assets, i.e. the machines, which are worthless. In other words : we'll get nothing. No one has expressed any interest in buying Cali over. So let's save our hard-earned $, stop consulting lawyers, and keep exercizing !

If we can trust your judgement of paying out $4k to California, I guess we should also trust your judgement on people too.

Guest Tonykoh

There is this rather tall beady eyes short hair instructor previously at Cali orchard . Looks a bit like those good looking China look.. His photo is not on the board of instructors in the gym.. But he is there training people all the time.. Anyone knows who he is ? 

Guest Pokedex
8 hours ago, Guest Tonykoh said:

There is this rather tall beady eyes short hair instructor previously at Cali orchard . Looks a bit like those good looking China look.. His photo is not on the board of instructors in the gym.. But he is there training people all the time.. Anyone knows who he is ? 

Tall meh? Ben xiao?

benxiao81_1450088622.jpg

Caught him yet?

Guest Tonykoh
2 hours ago, Guest Pokedex said:

Tall meh? Ben xiao?

benxiao81_1450088622.jpg

Caught him yet?

Definitely not him. This one is short and angry face . That trainer is tall about 1.8m. Short buzz cut sometimes sporting those mohawk style hair. I can never find him online as a freelancer. 

Any help will be great . 

Guest Pokedex
3 hours ago, Guest Tonykoh said:

Definitely not him. This one is short and angry face . That trainer is tall about 1.8m. Short buzz cut sometimes sporting those mohawk style hair. I can never find him online as a freelancer. 

Any help will be great . 

Short and angry face lol. He is very skillful at hooking hot men to become his boyfriend though. I wonder what's his trade secret. By giving free fitness advice?

Guest Tonykoh
7 hours ago, Guest Pokedex said:

Short and angry face lol. He is very skillful at hooking hot men to become his boyfriend though. I wonder what's his trade secret. By giving free fitness advice?

This one the body train until very strong , and always act very man , face very angry annoyed all the time, red with anger . Body can hook many guys easily . Back to my fav trainer at orchard Cali last time . Any idea? 

Guest Hae por
2 hours ago, Guest Tonykoh said:

This one the body train until very strong , and always act very man , face very angry annoyed all the time, red with anger . Body can hook many guys easily . Back to my fav trainer at orchard Cali last time . Any idea? 

The face too drag queen and personality too self-absorbed and bitchy for my taste. Without that body he is nothing basically. He is considered "prawn" type in my book. Body strong also no use. :whistle:

2 hours ago, Guest Hae por said:

The face too drag queen and personality too self-absorbed and bitchy for my taste. Without that body he is nothing basically. He is considered "prawn" type in my book. Body strong also no use. :whistle:

Ooooo... but you should also hear his girlish moans when he gets fucked in bed. The sight of his muscled 6 pack abs with his ankles held above his head and him flexing his big biceps, while he moans like a girl each time a cock penetrates him, and him admitting that he is a slutty bitch when he was asked, will be enough to make anyone loves him.

Guest Hae por laksa
3 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Ooooo... but you should also hear his girlish moans when he gets fucked in bed. The sight of his muscled 6 pack abs with his ankles held above his head and him flexing his big biceps, while he moans like a girl each time a cock penetrates him, and him admitting that he is a slutty bitch when he was asked, will be enough to make anyone loves him.

Sounds like you tried before. I hope you are not traumatised and turned straight. 

Guest romors romors

Unlikely to reopen. Not sure about the refund...  

Rumors that Fitness First are buying the Bugis outlet   and Celebrity Fitness buying the Novena outlet.

3 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Article "Published Aug 12, 2016, 12:54 pm SGT". Your weekend starts on Friday noon huh? :doh:

Sorrie, allow me to clarify, it was in today's ST Print Issue page A8, 

Thx for the heads up, NP =) 

9 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

am i able to take back some of my money , my instructors fees and membership fees?

What do u think after they reported losses of $25.6M?

California Fitness gym chain chalked up losses of more than $25.6m

SINGAPORE - JV Fitness, the company that owns and operates the now-closed California Fitness gym chain in Singapore, had chalked up losses of more than $25.6 million as at June 30 this year, said a report by its provisional liquidators.

The company has total liabilities of $30.8 million and assets of $5 million, said the report by Mr Tim Reid and Ms Theresa Ng, who were officially appointed as liquidators by the High Court on Friday (Aug 12).

Claims by the chain's 27,000 members, who paid in advance for their gym memberships, amounted to $20.8 million, making it the largest category of creditors.

The report also revealed that on July 20 alone, the day it was announced that the gyms were closed with immediate effect, the liquidators received 349 phone calls and 500 e-mails from members seeking refunds and asking about the collection of their belongings at the gym's three outlets at Raffles Place, Novena and Bugis.

But despite the media publicity over the closure of the gyms, at least 500 members have yet to retrieve their belongings.

According to the report, JV Fitness owes the landlords of the three outlets a total of about $1.78 million in outstanding rent.

Mr Reid and Ms Ng, from insolvency management firm Ferrier Hodgson, were first appointed as provisional liquidators on July 19.

All 249 employees were terminated the following day. They have been paid their salaries for June, except for commissions. However, they are owed their salaries for up till July 19, totalling about $403,000, as well as their CPF contributions for June, amounting to about $145,000.

Shortly after midnight on July 20, Ferrier Hodson sent out a media statement, saying that the gym outlets were closed with immediate effect because JV Fitness lacks the finances to keep them running.

In their report, the liquidators extracted information about the company's financial performance and position. As at June 30 this year, the company incurred losses of more than $25.6 million, more than 128 times its recorded paid-up capital of $200,000.

"The statement of financial position as at 30 June, 2016 records no debt owing to financial institutions which raises the question as to where the company sourced the funds to enable it to continue trading given the company's substantial negative equity position," said the report.

To date, the liquidators have received 1,468 proof of debt forms from members.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/california-fitness-gym-chain-chalked-up-losses-of-more-than-256m

On 8/11/2016 at 3:20 AM, Guest Guest said:

Wow Ben Xiao is hot!!  Does he allow people to cum inside his mouth and ass?

8 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Wow Ben Xiao is hot!!  Does he allow people to cum inside his mouth and ass?

Yep he is too hot to describe. It's always been my fantasy to make out with him.

5 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Yep he is too hot to describe. It's always been my fantasy to make out with him.

Ben Xiao... Ben Xiao... will you fuck me?  Can I fuck you?

Gyms see rise in sign-ups after closure of California Fitness

Some of the estimated 27,000 California Fitness members left adrift following the gym chain's abrupt closure last month have found new workout homes, with gym operators reporting an increase in membership sign-ups.

True Fitness, which has six outlets here, told The Straits Times about 2,000 former California Fitness members had taken up its one-month free trial in the last month. Close to 900 signed up for membership packages after discounted rates were offered, said a spokesman.

HomeTeamNS, an association for national servicemen in the police and Singapore Civil Defence Force, offered affected members up to six months free use of the Fitness Workz gyms in its Bukit Batok and Balestier clubhouses.

It received over 200 queries and walk-in applications, and 25 eligible members signed up with the scheme, said a spokesman.

Fitness First, which has 16 outlets, offered discounted membership fees to displaced members for 10 days after California Fitness shut its last two gyms in Novena and Bugis on July 20.

Its managing director for Singapore, Mr Andrew Phillips, said the discounts and sign-ups were on a par with other promotions offered throughout the year.

A report by liquidators last week revealed that California Fitness members are owed $20.8 million in unused gym access and unredeemed personal training sessions, with little hope of recovering their losses.

However, some members of True Fitness and Fitness First are complaining of overcrowding with the influx of new members.

Private banker Fiona Lee, who has been a True Fitness member for over four years, said the outlets she frequents in Ang Mo Kio, Chevron House and Suntec City have been more crowded in the last month.

Fitness class slots are snapped up within minutes, with long waiting lists, said Ms Lee, 46.

Fitness First member Alvin Aw said gyms in the Raffles Place and Orchard Road areas were swamped during the last two weeks of July, with full classes and a shortage of lockers. But the crowd has since thinned, said the 38-year-old marketing manager.

True Fitness said its Suntec City and Chevron House outlets near former California Fitness centres saw the highest increase in membership sign-ups. It has added about 200 classes monthly across its centres to cater to the increase in users, it said.

Fitness First said there were more users in two of its clubs in the Central Business District last month, while improvements were being carried out at its Capital Tower outlet - re-launched yesterday as a tailored sports performance centre - and because of the closure of California Fitness' Raffles Place outlet.

It has increased the number of staff and classes at the more popular clubs, and made more towels available.

Several gyms have also announced expansion plans to cater to increased demand.

Fitness First will be opening a centre at Bugis Junction next March, and has plans to expand its heartland reach.

True Fitness will be opening an 18,000 sq ft facility at Viva Business Park in Chai Chee later this year, with a new functional training system and aerial yoga classes.

Virgin Active, which has one club at Raffles Place, will open two more by next year.

Mr Joseph Lee, who paid $5,000 for a lifetime membership at California Fitness, said he is considering True Fitness' one-month trial.

Said the 35-year-old public servant: "I'm looking for another gym, but I will be more wary of lifetime memberships and upfront payments."

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/gyms-see-rise-in-sign-ups-after-closure-of-california-fitness

• HendryTan changed the title to California Fitness Winding Up Saga (Compiled)
  • Guest locked this topic